Sly Marbo returns!

Seahawk

I am looking forward to including Sly in my Catachan army :)

... Obviously, seeing as my army is made up of Squat Catachans, I will have to convert my own... but it won't be a problem. I'll just make him similar to one of these and swap the weapons for something more appropriate :) :

QKpBV4X.jpg

DXWJRvv.jpg

I'll have to add some suitable camouflaged face paint... but I reckon it will be great to have a Marbo in my army again :) 

65pts isn't too bad. Would be good to have this put on paper somewhere, so to speak. I grabbed mine yesterday even though I have a "Cadian" force - maybe I can try Catachan a few times to get him on the table ;) I don't think he's particularly amazing but should be fun to use. Best use is to set off the explosives first run and redeploy to target something else looks like.

I think that Marbo is a great distraction... and his ability to target characters when he appears, makes him a bit of an assassin (especially if you use his 'like fighting a shadow' ability to slink away).

Definitely fun and for such few points, it's worth a punt :)

It's a decent way to drop some mortal wounds on stuff.  D6 on a unit of 10, go back into reserve, then do it again and charge/shoot something.

D6 on a 7+ though, meaning natural 6 required, which then has a big chance of only doing 1-3 wounds as it would have anyway.

I would say he is very overcosted at 65 points, the guy is still a guardsmen, and guardsmen die extremely easy without having a toughness/armour/invuln bonus of some kind especially so when the guys maximum range off effecitveness is 12 inches from the enemy, while others I have seen comparasons with tend to have a much greater effective range or greater combat ability/survival.

Edited by Mitchverr

Eversor assassin is only 5 points more for an infinitely better distraction and model

Don't need an additional detachment to keep faction bonuses?

True, easiest way is a supreme command detachment, 3 primaries psykers work (since they don't get regiment) or inquisitors, or a mix

The 80pts cost is merely my hypothesis, but he cannot be much different from that since he is 4 PL. Unless they messed up again. I guess his pts value will be available for free on a pdf online soon.

His late 7th ed. incarnation was much better, at least he costed 25 pts :biggrin.:

Even worse news about the resin.

Add to all the above the cigar, which seems out of character (that's Schwarzy's trademark item, NOT Sly/Stallone!), and I am quickly losing interest for this release :sad.:

Sly Marbo might have been named after Rambo, but the model always looked like Arnie from Commando! I'm very disappointed to hear that Marbo is finecast. I hate finecast! I wonder why they didn't just use plastic? The level of detail they've been getting on plastic lately is every bit as good as resin. I was pretty excited about that model, although I didn't get a chance to make it to my local store on Boxing Day to buy it. I kit bashed my own Marbo just before he disappeared from the Codex, I'll just use that one for now.

I love the mini. Really good design and there are no flaws in the resin that I can see. It looks like a much denser resin than the old finecast.

That gives me some hope! Would you say it's the same resin that Forge World uses?

So, I'm looking at Marbo and I just don't get it.

He arrives from reserve and can do one of the following:
1) Move a bit and get +2 attacks with a butter-knife.
2) Shoot twice with his water-pistol and can target characters.
3) Detonate some explosives that inflict mortal wounds and which don't require range or LoS to their target.

What is even the point of the first two options? 

I mean, the third option is hardly great but at least it doesn't require a T3 5+ model to be within 12" of - or in melee with - his target.

I know you can potentially use it twice, but the fact that his explosives don't even work half the time makes his point cost laughable to me.

His rules just seem like a real mess.

I'm very disappointed to hear that Marbo is finecast. I hate finecast! I wonder why they didn't just use plastic? The level of detail they've been getting on plastic lately is every bit as good as resin.

As has now been stated multiple times over this thread, the resin GW uses now isn’t the Finecast from before, it’s much closer in nature to Forgeworlds recipe and has a much lower tendency for flaws than Finecast did.

Plastic moulds are a lot more expensive and time consuming to produce than resin moulds, so using resin allows GW to quickly put out models with a lower overall investment, which is especially useful for models that they deem to be experimental or have limited appeal.

I love the mini. Really good design and there are no flaws in the resin that I can see. It looks like a much denser resin than the old finecast.

That gives me some hope! Would you say it's the same resin that Forge World uses?

Not quite, it's a little darker in tone and feels a little smoother. If anything it's better than the FW resin I got but I'd have to see more casts to confirm that. It's definitely closer to FW resin than finecast for sure.

Sly Marbo is a characterful diversion. That's all, you would think...

... but he's not just that... because he is Sly Marbo... the legend.

Just that makes him worth his 65 points because his reputation precedes him. Just knowing that Marbo is in reserve will strike fear into the hearts of your enemy... especially when you quip lightly about the time he dropped into an Eldar camp and slaughtered a squad of Warlocks before disappearing into the green... and of course, the time he leaped from the jungle to behead an Ork warlord... stopping a war on Tempus 9 and breaking the back of Waaagh Skrag-horn with a single swipe of his envenomed blade.

Yes, if you crunch the numbers and pick at the rules, he may not have the same hitting power as an Assassin or a couple of Primaris Psykers... but he is part of the fabric of Catachan and he is worth his weight in fluff :)

Sly Marbo is a characterful diversion. That's all, you would think...

... but he's not just that... because he is Sly Marbo... the legend.

Just that makes him worth his 65 points because his reputation precedes him. Just knowing that Marbo is in reserve will strike fear into the hearts of your enemy... especially when you quip lightly about the time he dropped into an Eldar camp and slaughtered a squad of Warlocks before disappearing into the green... and of course, the time he leaped from the jungle to behead an Ork warlord... stopping a war on Tempus 9 and breaking the back of Waaagh Skrag-horn with a single swipe of his envenomed blade.

Yes, if you crunch the numbers and pick at the rules, he may not have the same hitting power as an Assassin or a couple of Primaris Psykers... but he is part of the fabric of Catachan and he is worth his weight in fluff :smile.:

As someone for whom Sly Marbo wasn't even around when I started playing IG, I guess I'll take your word for it. 

All I can say is that, having seen his rules, the knowledge that my opponent has Marbo in reserve is about as intimidating to me as the knowledge that a DE player had Kheradruakh the Decapitator in reserve back in 5th.

Funny thing - I was in my local GW this morning and their weekly delivery came in. Nestled within the many boxes were 4 Sly Marbo's, which were just available for sale - so I picked one up. Not sure why, even my local manager was a bit surprised to see them in his delivery.

Really weird, but good for me as I wasn't able to get away from family on Boxing Day to get one (and I think my store sold out on the day within 2 hours).

At the local store here (Edinburgh - not such a small town) they have a huge box that contains - at a quick glance - at least 50 Marbos, probably more.

I guess the 'sold-out soon' thing was just a myth. Perhaps if his rules/pts cost were not so poor...

Edited by Feral_80

At the local store here (Edinburgh - not such a small town) they have a huge box that contains - at a quick glance - at least 50 Marbos, probably more.

I guess the 'sold-out soon' thing was just a myth. Perhaps if his rules/pts cost were not so poor...

More were actually distributed to stores. Who knows why