Sly Marbo returns!

Seahawk

Honestly, I don't get it. He seems underwhelming and poorly designed to me.

All his ranged/melee attacks effectively have S 5, which he has zero needs of since they already wound infantry on 2+. And you don't want to send him against non-infantry anyway. Very inconsistent. Instead of the useless S bonus, his weapons should have been either AP -1 or damage 2 to pose at least a credible threat.

He can snipe characters/weak units, but he lacks both the damage and AP to really inflict any damage. Yes, he might kill some Ork boyz or Termagants...and then die.

He can either try a quite reliable charge and then die as above, or try to inflict some mortal wounds on 4+. All of this twice, provided he survives the first time. I guess he'll be used for the latter thing more often, at least the first time, because he does not need to be close to the target.

The only situation I can see him worth taking is pop up to grab an objective which is both far away and void of enemy presence, try to inflict mortal wounds, then disappear and come in again next turn, either repeating the above or kamikazing against some unit.  All very situational.

I do not think this is worth 80(?) pts at all, and I agree that the Eversor does most of the stuff above much better.

Quite disappointing, I must say.

Edited by Feral_80

Does he really cost 80? That seems a lot for what he can do.

I guess with more Catachans charging into meele and supported by priest and straken he is ok, but that is so very not-sly (He works alone..) that there is not much of an point.

Well, this way I at least don’t feel so bad for not being able to get him right now.

Edited by Finkmilkana

Hi Brothers, I'm just back from my local Warhammer Store and I saw the model.

1st, the rules.  If you already saw some leaks, cool, I won't repeat them, but basically nothing remarkable.  It was in the form of the little pamphlet in multiple languages.

2nd, the points values.  I only saw the Power Level of 4.  I did NOT see an actual points value.  I flipped and forth a bit, might've missed it, but I think it's not there.

3rd, it's not the high quality plastic GW uses now.  It's that resin or finecast material.

It did come in a special box designed to kinda look like an ammo box and had a little poster, printed on both sides, with like a military report.  It's a neat collectible.

Since I don't have an Astra Militarum army and even if I did, it's not a figure I would field, I passed on it.  Maybe I'll get it for use in an Army On Parade event next year.

The 80pts cost is merely my hypothesis, but he cannot be much different from that since he is 4 PL. Unless they messed up again. I guess his pts value will be available for free on a pdf online soon.

His late 7th ed. incarnation was much better, at least he costed 25 pts :biggrin.:

Even worse news about the resin.

Add to all the above the cigar, which seems out of character (that's Schwarzy's trademark item, NOT Sly/Stallone!), and I am quickly losing interest for this release :sad.:

Edited by Feral_80

The 80pts cost is merely my hypothesis, but he cannot be much different from that since he is 4 PL. Unless they messed up again. I guess his pts value will be available for free on a pdf online soon.

His late 7th ed. incarnation was much better, at least he costed 25 pts :biggrin.:

Just for the record, Brother, don't worry, wasn't nitpicking any points you made about points!

It was that I was excited about this Sly Marbo release, thinking I could create a maybe 500 pts army project that's got like an Expendables theme.  But we play Matched Play games using the orthodox points system.  An Eversor IS 4 Power Level, so your estimate makes sense, but I agree that you get a lot more out of an Eversor.

So I went from "yay Sly Marbo project" to "what am I supposed to do with this?"

The whole thing just gave me the impression it's undercooked.  Maybe when they re-release it in a few months time it'll be more ready.  No big deal.

Add to all the above the cigar, which seems out of character (that's Schwarzy's trademark item, NOT Sly/Stallone!), and I am quickly losing interest for this release :sad.:

And? He has Snake's gun, Rocky's carnivore plan, Arnie's body, this incarnation is mix of multiple 80s action stars, not just Sly in particular. And even the old one wasn't 100% Rambo, TBH.

And? He has Snake's gun, Rocky's carnivore plan, Arnie's body, this incarnation is mix of multiple 80s action stars, not just Sly in particular. And even the old one wasn't 100% Rambo, TBH.

Well the original one was 90% Rambo, TBH. From his name, needless to say. But also his pic in the dataslate (pointing the gun) was very clearly a portrait of Stallone; and his background of a deranged, weird veteran unable to live normally outside of a war zone was very clearly modelled on the story of Rambo First Blood. If now they turned him into a mix of 80s action movie stars fine, but I think I am allowed to say I'm not mad about that, since the idea was to bring back an iconic character.

Edited by Feral_80

Got the model, no problems with the cast. There is also no points cost so currently he's only usable in PL games.

Yeah the cast is really good. If you're not sure about it I'd suggest you try to take a look in person because this is closer to FW resin than finecast. I thought it was thermoplastic when I first looked at it. If they've gotten a good resin mix finally that's a good thing because it allows them to produce more characters (3-6 month turnaround rather than 1+ years).

I'd post pictures but it's locked in my car boot along with my car keys :p

Edited by OnboardG1

Got the model, no problems with the cast. There is also no points cost so currently he's only usable in PL games.

Yeah the cast is really good. If you're not sure about it I'd suggest you try to take a look in person because this is closer to FW resin than finecast. I thought it was thermoplastic when I first looked at it. If they've gotten a good resin mix finally that's a good thing because it allows them to produce more characters (3-6 month turnaround rather than 1+ years).

I'd post pictures but it's locked in my car boot along with my car keys :p

This has been the case for a while now, as Centos and Veridyan at least have been really nice casts closer to FW resin, but the scars left by Finecast turn people off resin in a big way.

The only people who should be turned off are inexperienced modellers or those who don't know what they are doing.

The only things you need to put this model together are clippers and super glue.

People should be jumping on these models because their success will bring more similar releases. Resin models like this are not a massive initial investment for the company unlike the plastic kits.

If you like the model go and buy it!

He is 65 points.  Not bad.  I would probably deploy him the first time somewhere completely out of sight and safe, and trigger his explosive ability.

Then next movement phase you pull him back, and the following movement phase after that you drop him again more aggressively.  Not sold on ripper pistol, since even shooting twice he only does like 1.3 wounds vs. 3+ saves, and 2 wounds vs. 4+ saves.  Going in melee is not much better either, with basically the same result as the pistol. 

The only people who should be turned off are inexperienced modellers or those who don't know what they are doing.

The only things you need to put this model together are clippers and super glue.

People should be jumping on these models because their success will bring more similar releases. Resin models like this are not a massive initial investment for the company unlike the plastic kits.

If you like the model go and buy it!

Except the savings wont be passed onto the consumer.

No, you implied it by ridiculing cost saving.

No, he didn’t. He was just saying that it’s an expensive hobby, we all know it at this stage. He didn’t say ‘make things more expensive’ but it’s pretty much a given at this point that prices won’t go down.