[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

I've contacted Dos regarding his post and his overt references to the Badab War and Huron. Part of GW's recent drive has been to suggest that it's simply not the same year in every part of the 40k universe - and a bit of maths shows that things could easily drift apart. Add one extra day every year for 10,000 years and you have 27 years' difference. But the Badab War started heating up in 904.M41 and I've suggested that the game is set in 918.M41.

In part, I chose 918 because this is 2018 - but I'm not averse to moving it a few years earlier.

With that said, the Raptors joined the war in 905 and the Novamarines in 906. Perhaps the answer is to move the game to 908 (accounting for variation in the warp and/or dating in the Taurelian expanse.)

Edited by Commissar Molotov

I think in part it's the tendency to want to fill in all the gaps but we don't need to over worry about everything - as long as Akkad could conceivably be in the Deathwatch with the knowledge of the Badab War having not reached yet, that's fine by me. I think when news finally reaches the station this should be a BIG THING - but not yet.

Xin, I have spent some time this weekend starting to put your character sheet together. There are a few things I'm unsure of, however. As a Techmarine, you need to choose between the Improve Cover or Blessed by the Omnissiah skills. You also need to roll your Wounds and Fate Points (remembering you get -1 FP from the Price of Victory deed.) 

In terms of your 1000xp, I know you mentioned you wanted The Flesh is Weak from the Iron Hands chart, at 500xp. What do you want to spend your other 500xp on?

Can't thank you enough for this!

And I totally forgot about the missing attributes .......

Here they are

:Fate points 3 [9 http://orokos.com/roll/596122# -1 = 3]

Wounds 18+3 (http://orokos.com/roll/596123#) = 21

For the Specialty, I am going for Blessed by the Omnissiah, for obvious reasons.

Skill wise, I'd invest in the first Rank of the Flesh is weak from the IH. Advances (500XP) and Tech-Use +10 (400XP )

I will also have to remove my greeting to a nonexisting watch captain from my post.

I think in part it's the tendency to want to fill in all the gaps but we don't need to over worry about everything - as long as Akkad could conceivably be in the Deathwatch with the knowledge of the Badab War having not reached yet, that's fine by me. I think when news finally reaches the station this should be a BIG THING - but not yet.

I'd like to thank everyone for the wrangling allowing me to continue with my character - I can change it if you guys want, but I have the feeling that Hell is Coming to Breakfast....and people are looking forward to it..!

MR.

Nineswords: Minor quibble - your character would have no knowledge of the tattoos unless he saw Vaidan in the armoury since they don't go further up than his chest (for now). :smile.:

Ah sorry Dos, I misread - I'd assumed like many Novamarines he'd also have his head covered in tattoos and he has his helmet off (that being said, the Storm Sons have served with the Novamarines several times in my fictional background so this particular fact would be known to them).

Put a dent in it, maybe. 

Per today's post I have edited the first posts of the game to take place during 908.M41 rather than 918. Bear in mind that dating is an abstract thing in the 40k universe!

You may also have noticed that I have created a "Character thread." The intention is that you will be able to use it to add some detail regarding your characters such as pictures of them and the like. I may well come up with a template for you, but in the short time I'm fine with you simply creating a post in the character thread to be expanded upon later. 

CM I'd  say you killed it (the budding comradey), literately in this case...

I just have this image in my mind of all of our characters on one side of the room, standing in a semi circle, starting to talk to one another, then Vârvost enters and everything goes quite, with all eyes on him.... Looking forward to things moving along...

The rulebook suggests that Forbidden Lore (Xenos) - which all of you have - gives you "knowledge of the minor and major alien species known to the Imperium, the threat they pose, and their general appearance." You have all had some training from the Deathwatch in order to have some of the talents you do - that would include some hypno-indoctrination or the like, I assume. You'd have the information in your brain. 

DOS: The Tyrannic War and Hive Fleet Behemoth took place in 745.M41, and that's when genestealers were first observed to be a Tyranid advance organism. So yes, I imagine you can all know that there is a link between Tyranids and Genestealers. Especially given the very close links between the Ultramarines and the Novamarines. In fact, the Novamarines were ordered by Inquisitor Lord Kryptmann to reinforce the Ultramarines and helped defend Ultramar whilst the Ultramarines were depleted. 

This might give you (especially those of you with DIY Chapters) to consider what interaction with Tyranids and Genestealers you might have had. 

I'm going with 0, as the entire time I've played by chapter on TT, I've never once in the last 10 years had my chapter fight 'Nids... (lack of 'Nid players where I live/play), combined with me having them out near the Halo Stars also puts s crimp in them facing them before. Besides it lets me play to the fact that Tyber is relatively young for an Astartes, good chance he's not faced a lot of different threats.

I thought the Novamarines' (and them alone) had Forbidden Lore (Xenos) as part of their "Chapter package" but now, as you've mentioned, everybody has it. Which makes sense, but then renders that particular Novamarines bonus moot. :mellow.:

Anyway, reminds me I haven't used my 1000 XP. Going to do that now. Do we have to run things past you first, Mol, or can I just go ahead and add it to my char sheet?

Well, the DW rules are written as such so you could run a game set around one Chapter. Don't forget you have the Tales of the Void solo mode ability which will allow you to get +10 on any Lore skill you possess. 

If you can let me know what you plan to get that'd be appreciated - especially if you plan to take a deed in your 1000XP. 

SC: Tyber would still know of genestealers, though - if only through some sort of Deathwatch familiarisation. He could easily ask the Captain for advice in facing them and carry off the naive aspect you want?