[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

Very much so - a Mag 40 Horde of Firewarriors are putting out 3 x 1D10+12 that cannot be dodged.

Much worse than that - as you add extra damage d10s from magnitude. Even with autoguns hordes do 3d10+3 damage, easily enough to wound a marine.

The firewarriors would be 4d10+2 if i'm not mistaken?

Totally off topic:

A very Merry Christmas to you, my favorite online gaming group and your assorted loved ones, family and hangers-on!

And the same to you Xin! :D

May everyone in the group have a Happy and Peaceful Christmas and thank you each and every one of you for putting up with me and being a great bunch of people to play alongside.  You've all been welcoming and supportive and have really helped to make a haunt for me here.

Thank you and,

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Mazer.

Either way you slice it, Fire Warriors hit like a truck.

Edit:

For CM's approval for Tyber's round 4 post, with the intention to draw the PDF to action:

Seeing yet no motion out of the PDF fortification, Tyber launched himself into the air to come crashing down with thunderous force some sixty meters closer to the PDF base, ahead of one of the charging hordes of mutant rabble, during his decent he spoke over the external vox, as loudly as it could broadcast as well as linking his words over Imperial channels, in a vain hope that his words would inspire those in the base, while cowing those that would assault it or at least draw their attention for a few heartbeats.

++And the Angels of Death descended on pinions of fire and light... The great and terrible Angles of the Emperor! The colours I am clad in speak my willingness to stand between those that are loyal to the Emperor and those that are not, I will not give a single step! While I still draw breath I will not falter, those that stand with me, will be my brother, those that fall while beside me will be seated with honour beside the Emperor and the Primarch!++

As his boots made contact and the engines shut off, he drew his arming sword and chain blade, taking a breath to center himself as he whispered to himself, “Only in death, does duity end.”

Edited by Steel Company

Steel: 

I think it might be useful for you at the start of your post to have something along the lines where Tyber sees the need for a decisive action to rouse the defenders - then have him doing what he does. It gives him a little narrative justification for what he does. I like it though - I think it's good! I do however think you need to explore the Dragons' belief systems. You've promoted them throughout as being essentially 30k Marines in 40k, but talking about being seated beside the Emperor is rather religious and 40k. Is this what Tyber believes, or is he simply saying it for the benefit of the humans in the base? A little bit of explanation might help.

CM, thanks for the help of direction, what I had put up was more as a rough guideline of where I'd like to go in round four. I'm still planning on lots of refinement, as I'll admit to pulling a lot of that speach from various sources of Astartes quotes. :smile.:

CM:

a more refined version:

Tyber could see the rebels mustering for a push into the fort, and yet the mortals in that fort have done nothing yet. We need these mortals to join us in this fight, lest we lose the support of these men and women for when we need them later. He thought to himself, looking around he saw all of his brothers engaged, only himself were free to try and do something, to try and rouse the defenders to action to trap the rebels between a hammer and anvil of the PDF base and Squad Blackthorn.

It will need to be something drastic, something brazen, something showing utter contempt for those that we face… his mind raced, while his body acted almost by its own will he launched himself into the air to come crashing down with thunderous force some sixty meters closer to the PDF base, ahead of one of the charging hordes of mutant rabble, during his decent he spoke over the external vox, as loudly as it could broadcast as well as linking his words over Imperial channels, in a vain hope that his words would inspire those in the base, while cowing those that would assault it or at least draw their attention for a few heartbeats.

++When the hour is darkest, the great and terrible Angels of Death will descend on pinions of fire and light to meet out the wrath of humanity on the Xenos and traitor alike! They will arrive clad in colours to show their contempt of their foes; they will not hide, will not relent in their mission and will not retreat! They will be the bulwark between those loyal to the Emperor and those that would turn from the Imperial Truth! While I still draw breath I pledged that I will not falter, I will not give one step! Those that stand with me, will be my brother, regardless of their origin. Those that fall while beside me will have their names recorded in the hall of honour for all time!++

As his boots made contact and the engines shut off, he drew his arming sword and chain blade, taking a breath to center himself as he whispered to himself, “Only in death, does duity end.”

I re-wrote the speech to feel more inline with what I've got in mind for the Dragons, let me know if you think this version is better, or if you'd like to see more refinement to it more, I'm happy to tweak it more if needed.

Edited by Steel Company

Steel:

I would suggest that you ought to just angle Tyber's speech to be more directly targeting the soldiers, i that is your ultimate aim. At the moment it's more "Space Marines are awesome" than "Come and help."

Xin/Reyner: I haven't updated to the end of the round as there are still opportunities for you to decide to do a few different things and I didn't want to remove the ability to choose from you. I will update tonight or tomorrow dependent on posts. 

CM, sounds good I'll make more refinement later today when my kids are having a rest from the craziness of the past few days.

Edit:

CM, version 3 is found below, let me know if you think this would be better:

Tyber could see the mutants mustering for a push into the fort, and yet the mortals in that fort have done nothing yet. We need these mortals to join us in this fight, lest we lose the support of these men and women for when we need them later. He thought to himself, looking around he saw all of his brothers engaged, only himself were free to try and do something, to try and rouse the defenders to action to trap the rebels between a hammer and anvil of the PDF base and Squad Blackthorn.

It will need to be something drastic, something brazen, something showing utter contempt for those that we face… his mind raced, while his body acted almost by its own will he  launched himself into the air to come crashing down with thunderous force some sixty meters closer to the PDF base, ahead of one of the charging hordes of mutant rabble, during his decent he spoke over the external vox, as loudly as it could broadcast as well as linking his words over Imperial channels, in a vain hope that his words would inspire those in the base, while cowing those that would assault it or at least draw their attention for a few heartbeats.

++Defenders of Syndalla, the Astartes have heard your cries and we are here with you! We call on each of you to stand shoulder to shoulder with us against those that have turned from the Imperial Truth and lay with Xenos, in an attempt to feed you all to those that would take you from the light of the Imperium into the darkness of treachery. I give you my Oath of the Moment to not give one steep to vermin that attempt to sack this fortress and murder those loyal to the Emperor, but I cannot do it alone, each of you that would stand with me I will call brother, those that fall beside me I will see their names entered onto the wall of heroes in the hall of honour! To those that seek to take this place, you have made your choice, now you will face the great and terrible might of the Angles of Death!++

As before, any alterations you feel that could help, I am happy to make.:yes:

Edited by Steel Company

Round 4 is ready for you guys to declare actions, and there is scope for some cool stuff here - from comandeering the siege guns and using them against cultists, to Slips blowing up a Siege Gun with his multi-laser! 

For the sake of it, I will mention that we should still have Frag Grenades in some quantity and that with Blast (4) and explosive damage, each one can deal ~5-6 Magnitude damage to a Horde whilst their damage of 2d10+2 Pen 0 is very unlikely to actually harm you if youre in the blast radius.

So just grab one off your belt, pull the pin and just drop it at your feet more or less if youre surrounded and still have a few of them.

I should have time to post Tyber's round 4 actions in about an hour.

Place holder replaced, hopefully it works to draw the defenders to action...

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/344357-kill-team-blackthorn-it-hungers/?p=5223958

Edit:2

I'm actually having fun starting to show Tyber taking the first steps into the Champion role, being someone to inspire those around them to action... not just be a boss in CQB.

Edited by Steel Company

Over the last few weeks I've sent messages out to about ten potential new players, trying to cast my net wide to see if we can get any interest. In the main these are players who have participated in other forum PBP games and are still active on the B&C. Hopefully we'll be able to garner some interest. 

My goal is to finish this episode in January, so we can start the second episode by the start of February. That'll be cool, and it will mean our first episode took us a year! 

I have never seen Varvost as the berserker you think he is! (And indeed, I missed his "Swift Attack" ability this turn!)

Well he did nearly take a swing at Tyber this combat... or at least that was the impression I got from his action before he wiped out the other two heavy weapon teams. ;)

Okay, so this is probably the last Deathwatch post of 2018. We've managed to keep the game going for 10 months, and I'm really thankful to all of you for your efforts in helping to make it what it is! 

2019 should hopefully be an awesome year for us! 

I'm in complete agreement CM, it has been a fantastic ride so far and I am really looking forward to see what happens to squad Blackthorn in 2019!

I'd also like to say thanks to everyone involved with the game for making me a better writer and making me explore my DIY chapter more. :D