[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

You guys are all rank 1 and fairly killable. I can alter enemies relatively easily to accommodate, so it doesnt worry me. I think a heavy with missile launcher would be a cool addition to the game.

Severely limited updates this weekend as I have work and have to spend time with the wife!

Feel free to detail most things. Slips, you will likely wish to heal Akkad.

The only thing I would say is that I don't think you should try to punish the soldiers; in part their assistance was limited because I didn't want to have to account for them.

Looking at spending XP for Rodrik Ghent. So far I've spent 500 XP on a Simple BS Advance (his BS was at 38 which isn't good enough). I'm considering taking the Price of Victory Deed as it would fit his background as a survivor of both the assault on Craftworld Idharae and Alaitoc's bloody retaliation and the subsequent devastation of the Invaders' home world Ogrys. I'm not too sure what else to take.

The Jaded Talent seems appropriate too (200 XP), as do the Lore: Forbidden (Eldar) (100 XP) and Rapid Reload (200 XP) Skill/Talent. Thoughts?

What Chapter Demeanour are we thinking for the Red Talons? Should the Chapter Trappings be the same as Iron Hands as well the bionic hand? Rolling the stats now :smile.:

ooo shiny he's got MK6 armour would have preferred 4 or 8 but MK6 is still cool :cool.:

Oh my I got a 3 on Armour History so I can go up to 4 and get Death is Joy +2 to crit damage and +1 damage to a Hordes Magnitude OR down to 2 and get None shall escape the Emperors Wrath for +5 BS (which will take him up to 48 BS) but with the downside of -10 Dodge in melee. I like the sound of option 4 for the flat damage buff I also got a 16 for Last Survivor which is a cool bit of fluff although knocking that up to 17 for Cower Not Before the Enemy is hilarious for a MK6 Corvus suit that sabotages any attempts at stealth!

Edited by Reyner

Looking at spending XP for Rodrik Ghent. So far I've spent 500 XP on a Simple BS Advance (his BS was at 38 which isn't good enough). I'm considering taking the Price of Victory Deed as it would fit his background as a survivor of both the assault on Craftworld Idharae and Alaitoc's bloody retaliation and the subsequent devastation of the Invaders' home world Ogrys. I'm not too sure what else to take.

The Jaded Talent seems appropriate too (200 XP), as do the Lore: Forbidden (Eldar) (100 XP) and Rapid Reload (200 XP) Skill/Talent. Thoughts?

Think that works well Dos, fits nicely.  Rapid Reload would be something to look at if you're thinking of Storm Bolter for sure, or any other weapon, always good.  I think you have a very interesting little toolbox for Ghent, what kind of cybernetics/bionics were you thinking about from the Deed?

What Chapter Demeanour are we thinking for the Red Talons? Should the Chapter Trappings be the same as Iron Hands as well the bionic hand? Rolling the stats now :smile.:

I can't speak for Mol, but I think the Red Talons would not fall far from the Demeanour Tree, but the bionic hand, I regret I have no idea as it seems a very Iron Hand specific thing.  Is there anything in the Heresy Books to allude to anything Red Talons may or may not possess as a trapping?

MR.

Mazer: I was thinking of getting a bionic arm and (most likely) eye or (less likely) lungs. I would've given him a bionic leg but the fact that he can move around so quickly kinda doesn't really gel with that.

Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka

Mazer: I'll have to check my books but they probably do have quite a few similarities with the Iron Hands being second founding and the original leaders of the Red Talons were hardcore nutters who even Ferrus disliked for letting their rage control them. But then they go and follow the codex and drop the Clan structures that the Legion used so chuff knows :D 

@ Dos, Or maybe it would...personally speaking, I think the arm and eye idea would be my preference, but consider this, especially in light of some of our previous conversations:

Two exceptional quality bionic legs give you the Sprint Talent.  That means a Full move can be up to 14 metres, plus your AG bonus, which is 7, for a total of 21 metres.  When you Run, oh my, your AG Bonus is 7, 6 from your armour and stats, +1 for hulking.  That makes your Run move 42 Metres.  If you Sprint, you double your movement to 84m Full Action.  If you use Solo Mode Burst of Speed, this increases your base stat to 9.  This makes your Run move 54 metres.  With a sprint that means you go a whopping 108 metres in a single action.

They also give you +20 to jump and leap tests, which you can do at the end of a Run...

Sounds slow?  Sounds like a battle hardened veteran saying "I'll be back."

Death From Afar and Semi/Full Auto Burst weapons?  Getting firepower where you need it? Sounds like a warrior who lost his legs to a hated enemy vowing to be stronger, faster, tougher than before.  To catch your enemy, the Eldar, your speed let you down.  Not going to let that happen again are you?

@Reyner, perhaps if Mol agrees, a cross up between an Ossific Relic, a skull or something of an enemy, like the Imperial Fists in Rites of Battle and a Tabard (I think) from the Black Templars.  The skull that hangs from your belt gives you +3 WS to hit a chosen enemy, Tau/Eldar/Orks etc OR +3 to intimidate tests because you hate everyone for not being dead...? :D

MR.

Heh. That actually sounds pretty damn good. Hunting Eldar by outrunning them sounds like a lot of fun. :devil: I'll mull over it a little more and see what I settle with. :thumbsup:

Edit: I'm assuming that it's the "two best-craftsmanship cybernetic implants" part which translates into having two Exceptional quality bionics?

Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka

The Errata states the Deed gives two Master-Crafted implants, which beyond improved function are also stylish!  Yes, one per leg, both for the full benefit I would imagine, since when the book refers to arm, it's singular, for being able to run a kilometre in 45 seconds (yes you can!) I'd say it was the pair.

So you get the above, plus a TB of +2 for your legs, so if your TB is 8, it's 10 for your legs.  They ain't taking them off again in a hurry!

You get the TB increase regardless, so if you chose Arm the benefits would exist there, plus Strength +10 in that arm and +10 to fine manipulation as well as TB +2 (after Unnat Toughness) for that arm.

To benefit from the TB +2 to the head, I'd suggest you'd need more than just the eye and perhaps something like ears or cranial implant.  Mol might be better advising there.

Just some options for you. :wink:

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

I have no idea what skills/talents to pick using my 1000XP - any decent ones I should be aware of? 

This is where it gets a bit...well...tight for Devs, which is the only problem, the Rank 1 talents aren't all that great to be fair and the XP can't be saved for the next Rank as the Rank increase happens after you've spent your XP.  I would advise the following:

Stats: Any increase to raw stats, BS, S and Per are your cheapest for Dev.  Remember if you have a really bum stat, you can re-roll one stat, once, for free.  Make sure to also apply your Chapter bonuses to your stats as well before you start deciding what to bump up.

You need to hit and hit fairly often - and the target will not always be huge!

Advances: Codex Advances, General Marine and Deathwatch Advances.

Most useful here probably are the Codex advances, with increases to Dodge +10 for 400 xp and Fearless at 1000xp being the only ones of any real use to you.  General Advances include Signature Wargear 500xp, Sound Constitution x 2 (+2 Wounds) 500xp.  Deathwatch Advances are pretty lacklustre unless you like gambling, hitting things (You're a Dev, you should be shooting them!) or want to resist chill or sunburn.  Otherwise, skip.

Speciality Advances:

Ok, let's talk about blowing stuff up better.  There are three real options here. Cleanse and Purify, which is great if you wanted to go with flamers don the road, Mighty Shot, which is +2 damage to ALL ranged attacks, even those from a vehicle and Stalwart Defence, which is basically you stand still, spend a Fate point and you get as many parries as you are hit, so you can attempt to parry any close combat strike - but you must stay still, no dodging.  All are 500xp.

There is exotic weapons training as well, but I don't see Mr Rip Yer Face Orf wanting to use eldar guns..?  Unless he doesn't care about that, which means you can use Tau pulse rifles as well...

I would warn that although Stalwart Defence looks great on paper, it's not brilliant, but you might want it for the likes of say Genestealers, where blocking hits is better than reducing the chance to land, since their WS is so high.

Thoughts?

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Very limited time to post, so let me say this -

Dos: I would say the twin bionic legs is a little "gamey" and if you like something else, feel free to have it. I would suggest your Forbidden Lore should be (Craftworld Eldar) just to be specific.

Mazer/Steel: We have two other interested participants who are likely to post in this thread over the weekend when my free time might be quite limited - Morovir and the venerable Apologist - if you could point them in the right direction in terms of discussing basic character archetypes that would be cool.

Mazer/Steel: We have two other interested participants who are likely to post in this thread over the weekend when my free time might be quite limited - Morovir and the venerable Apologist - if you could point them in the right direction in terms of discussing basic character archetypes that would be cool.

I am at their disposal - no doubt Steel and I can be of some direction, but don't forget Slips, that one has a keen eye too :)

Mol: Aye, I came to the same conclusion regarding the two bionic legs shortly after. I think it'll be an arm and a leg because that's how much it costs. :wink:

You sir, are a card.  Don't blame you at all - like I said, an arm and eye would have been my preference.  Yours has more panache when you put it like that :wink:

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Very neat character concepts there - looking forward to meet those!

Hopefully I can use the forced downtime to catch up with my recent placeholders at least.

And do take time off - especially enjoy the time with your Wife, Mol! I believe we can keep these guys busy musing about Chapter tactics and talent trees ;)

Speaking of which..... yeah, I could have spentthe afternoon filling my placeholders. But I made a New Years Resolution to finally try my hand at digital painting and got myself some supplies for christmas. So I spent the afternoon doodling and getting a feel for the thing.

You have the honour that my first digital rough ihas been made in the attempt to finally get poor Sabaan a finalized pic. It`s a bit straying from my earlier concepts, which I didnt have around just now and proprtions are way off. But it is anice first try. Here is the rough:

gallery_66914_10889_524545.jpg

Hi all!

It's been a while since I last frequented this forum, but I'm looking forward to participating in this game. I'm currently undecided on class, but chapter-wise I'm looking at playing a member of the Obsidian Glaives, the Second Founding Ultramarines Chapter created by GW solely for Warboss Grukk to destroy during the Sanctus Reach campaign. 

Welcome (back) Morovir!

(I wrote that in Unicron's voice, weird)

Obsidian Glaives - have just read the Lexi article - good grief that's some dark in the grimdark!  The timeline for Blackthorn happens at least 80 years before your homeworld has trouble, so plenty of years to get the self-flagellation in.

Class wise, I think we're coming about level in all areas, so any you think you fancy should be fine.  Codex Advance table from Honour The Chapter possibly would be something to look at, but exploring your chapter demeanour is going to be fun...!  In a punishing kind of way.

Your character isn't called Frank Castle by any chance? :wink:

Thoughts (anyone)?

MR.

Well MR, my thoughts on class distribution is, we've got it pretty solid. If I could influence anything, I'd feel better backed up with a second Apothecary or Techmarine, also a Librarian could be useful for psychic defense as well as lore checks.

But in the end, what I'd want most from everyone, is to be happy and having fun with their characters and like their concepts post creation. :)

Edited by Steel Company