Task Force Umbra - a Raven Guard 5th company WIP

golfdeltafoxtrot

Just placed myself an Anvil order for my next Scout Squad. More heads, armoured arms, box mags and reflex sights. Going to make a CQB-style squad with bolters and loads of gubbins.

Next question is, should I magnetise them so that they can ride in a Landspeeder Storm?

If you have to ask, then the answer is YES ^_^

Might be a little beyond my skills at the moment, but I really like the image of a squad of tooled-up scouts rappelling onto an objective from a Storm which then swoops off to provide top cover.

Also a box of bolter Scouts and a Landspeeder Storm results in a lot of cool kitbashing opportunities.

Anyone seen a good tutorial for magnetising a LSS?

As much as I love magnetizing for options I would actually say don't magnetize for the Storm. It will be too much work and not worth it (IMO).

I have a Storm and was ready to magnetize up the scouts that came with it so I could use them as boltgun scouts and save some money on a second squad. After looking at them and how they are designed I think it would take way too much work to put them in there and use them as a based squad.

If I ever decide to build and paint my storm I will magnetize the scouts so they can be in the storm and then removed but I won't be using one squad to do both rolls. If I embark or disembark a squad I'll put models in our out of the storm for visual representation but I think that's as far as I'll take it.

I would normally agree with that.  For my part, my plan would be to magnetize the models onto the Storm, then remove them when they disembark.  The Storm crew would get parked on the side and based Scout dudes get put on the table.  It's pure aesthetics.

I would normally agree with that. For my part, my plan would be to magnetize the models onto the Storm, then remove them when they disembark. The Storm crew would get parked on the side and based Scout dudes get put on the table. It's pure aesthetics.

That’s the plan really. Same models but able to ride in the LSS and then disembark onto bases. No grand plans, just want to be able to show them either on or off their transport. I just don’t like how a lot of the LSS scouts are posed - the sitting down guy looks really dodgy once he’s taken off his seat.

Edited by golfdeltafoxtrot

I would normally agree with that. For my part, my plan would be to magnetize the models onto the Storm, then remove them when they disembark. The Storm crew would get parked on the side and based Scout dudes get put on the table. It's pure aesthetics.

That’s the plan really. Same models but able to ride in the LSS and then disembark onto bases. No grand plans, just want to be able to show them either on or off their transport. I just don’t like how a lot of the LSS scouts are posed - the sitting down guy looks really dodgy once he’s taken off his seat.
Good idea Race.... dang I had plans for 6 lss too...still probably do mine empty except for crew.

The sitting down guy is the worse of the passengers. I had an old conversion I may redo of one hunched over in a full run. I think I had the sitting guy sitting on a log like he climbed over it. But that was in Version 1 of my raptors 10th co and I have no pics of them.

Edited by war009

yup, that sitting down guy is the worst and I don't think I've ever seen a good conversion that allows for them to be used in both embarked and based poses without looking weird.

I know it's possible to do them up like that, I just don't know if it's worth the time (for me).

yup, that sitting down guy is the worst and I don't think I've ever seen a good conversion that allows for them to be used in both embarked and based poses without looking weird.

I know it's possible to do them up like that, I just don't know if it's worth the time (for me).

I’ve seen a few and it always looks really forced.

I’m hoping to have enough good bits from the LSS, alongside the Anvil bits I want to use and stuff from my bits box, that I can make the scouts look more natural but also find space for them on their ride.

What I may do is take a standard scout Sgt put a magnet in his foot, base and the LSS so when they are embarked at least the Sgt is there so I know what squad it is....outside of the squad markings on the side

Fourth and final vow complete.

gallery_103206_14222_564040.jpeg

gallery_103206_14222_340660.jpeg

gallery_103206_14222_715177.jpeg

gallery_103206_14222_712720.jpeg

That’s my converted sniper lieutenant done, and I think that’s me done for this year’s ETL. 575 points isn’t huge comparatively but I’m pleased with what I’ve accomplished.

I’ve now got more painted models for one army than I’ve ever had before, I can see how my painting has improved since that first Tactical Squad nearly six months ago, and I’ve got more on the horizon.

Speaking of which...

gallery_103206_14222_1096449.jpeg

Edited by golfdeltafoxtrot

• 2 weeks later...

So work on my RG has paused briefly to make way for Kill Team. I've assembled a T'au team out of a box of Fire Warriors and a box of Stealth Suits, a Chaos team from the Dark Vengeance box I split with a friend many years ago, and I dug out some old IG Storm Troopers (both the original metal version and some Kasrkin) which will be painted up as Inquisition Storm Troopers. I've also been assembling the scenery in the Kill Team core box, which has taken ages.

However, I did pop into my FLGS and pick up a LSS last weekend. I'm pondering the magnetisation plan and I came across a few suggestions during an Interwebs search that might be useful. I saw someone suggest a two-part magnetisation to get around the awkward-pose problem, in which the standard LSS-riding scouts are carefully dismembered so that the legs can be magnetised to the vehicle and the torsos magnetised separately to the legs. I'll have to open the kit up and take a look to see how feasible that is (and obviously find some Scout legs from a bits site) but it feels like a good idea for eliminating the posing problem.

Anyone else got any experience with modifying the LSS?

Like you mentioned the torso-leg breakpoints can help with the posing. However, I think you will run into another issue: Space and handholds.

Since the quarters are so cramped, the passengers have to have a combination of sitting/fully embarked, and riding the skid-style, where they are gripping a handrail or the frame.

I can see the weapons/arms being another thing you would need to magnetize to accommodate this.

Let me put it this way: I just got done plugging 48 magnets into my Centurion kit to magnetize every option, and I shudder to think what this project would take.

If you do end up going through to it, you will guaranteed have my "Like" and kudos :) 

Yup, I'm on board with ITvyper. Like I said earlier in this thread I don't think it's worth it. Now if you do it because you can/want to then kudos to you. I'd rather buy another scout kit to have them available for when they disembark.

It's mainly a project to improve my modelling skills. I love converting and kitbashing but I've never used magnets before. I also love Scouts, the LSS as a model, and Anvil Industry's awesome bits.

I accept it might be a challenge, but as one of my fitness instructors keeps telling me "If it doesn't challenge you it doesn't change you."

If it may help, this is my plan for the Storm: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/289887-magnetized-my-land-speeder-storm/?hl=%2Bstorm&do=findComment&comment=3692194

It's going to be a labor of love and maybe the last model I ever build before I die :lol:

Now I'm wondering what to do with the front seat gunner. The LSS transports 5 Scouts but the gunner creates a quandary - who fires the HB when he disembarks? Maybe I'll mount it on a turret-type apparatus so that it can be fired by the pilot and have the gunner be riding shotgun with a regular bolter.

This is shaping up to be quite the job, maybe I'll book a couple of days off work to work on it.

Props to the guy in the linked thread for his Red Hunters though - they're my second favourite Chapter.

who fires the HB when he disembarks? 

THE MACHINE SPIRIT YOU HERETIC!

REPORT TO THE NEAREST COMMISSAR FOR REVIEW OF YOUR LOYALTY TO THE GOD-EMPEROR!!!!!!

But seriously I always envisioned it being affixed to the LSS. If a unit inside is equipped with a heavy bolter it's possible that it was stowed in the back. What is the LSS had the multi-melta? That's not even a valid squad option so it would stay on the storm IMO. I think to a degree you have to have some liberty with abstractness with the models. The LSS also only has 5 models riding in it, so when your squad of 5 disembark who's flying the LSS, or where was the 6th scout hiding so that the pilot is still modeled as flying?

Never had to execute a Space Marine before, I did threaten a Custodian the other week though.

Nevertheless the Emperors will must be done, golfdeltafoxtrot please report as soon as possible :D

RB get working on that LSS! Maybe I'll be inspired to finish mine off! :P