Redemptors Chapter (homebrew chapter)

As mentioned earlier, the red eye lenses does blend in a little too much, but if you do decide to switch it up, may I recommend an icy blue so they stand out clearly?

The kitbashing is very good indeed along with some great GSing for the hair. Where did that head come from by the way?

Finally, seeing your colour scheme picture above, I felt compelled to help a fellow chapter homebrewer along by taking the liberty of putting your colour scheme through the old Painter that included Wargear and added your symbol for your own personal use:

gallery_26154_1503_9084.png gallery_26154_1503_85439.png

Thank you, Brother Cambrius! I appreciate the feedback and love what you did with the Painter app.

I think I'll try your suggestion and paint up a Redemptor with blue lenses to see if I like them. I'll post here with the results.

The head for the company champion is from the Hellblasters' sergeant. I haven't done any further work on him. I've been side-tracked with painting up the Genestealers from Space Hulk.

KH7CydJl.jpg

• 3 months later...

That’s a lot of bugs! They look great!

Are you using them for Soace Hulk?

Yup! I played a game with my wife to see if she had any interest in 40K. She said she had fun playing Space Hulk but I think she enjoyed doing something together more than she did playing the game. Not a big deal. I appreciate that she gave it a go since she knows how much I enjoy 40K.

I don't have a picture of it but I took the advice of some folks that have suggested a different eye lens for the Redemptors. I've settled on green eye lenses. I should have some examples to share soon.

I've been painting a whole lot of stuff; not all Redemptors. My buddy put together a Tyranid army so I painted up some Astra Militarum and we had a good time leaning how to play different armies. I had some fun with LensFX from a battle we played this past Friday.

QQm9Jfjl.jpg

qBbKGu3l.jpg

3aPiHegl.jpg

Some WIP stuff I'm working on.

lCuTimdl.jpg

More Redemptors to come soon.

Edited by Shovellovin

• 1 month later...
+++The following was recovered *redacted* on *redacted*. By order of Chapter Master Decimus all records of the recovery of *redacted* are to be sealed. Only members of the Comitatus and Librarius are granted access.+++

Arcadia will fall. I have seen it. I have seen many things. They whisper to me in the Dark. Always the Dark. The Dark manipulates, obfuscates but never lies. Sometimes the meaning is clear. Other times the truth is only made clear with hindsight. In the end, you realize that the Dark holds unlimited knowledge but it always comes with a price. When I speak of the Dark, I do not refer to Daemons. The are older, formless, faceless thins in the universe. Those that even Daemons fear to speak of. Those that are of the Dark.

Humanity does not know all creation’s secrets. I include myself in that limitation. We are augmented compared to the rest of humanity but we are still human. Many of my brothers believe that we are above humanity. No. Our fathers taught us that even they share humanity’s flaws. Just as we are stronger and faster than the average human, out flaws are magnified. Avarice, pride, anger...violence. We excel in both the best and worst that humanity has to offer.

Arcadia will fall. We settled too close to the Dark. We thought we could serve the XIIIth best out here. We delved too far into the Dark. We were too confident; arrogant in our ignorance. How could we be prepared for that which we discovered? None could have been prepared for what we found has neither name nor form, as we once understood that word to mean. We were warned. We chose to ignore those warnings. Is that not always the case? What we learned that which none should ever know. Knowledge is power but it can also be a punishment. Knowledge can be damnation.

Arcadia. It was to be our Aedin. However, it seems that Arcadia was an apt name. “Et ego in Arcadia”.

Arcadia’s fall has been foretold by that which does not shine. The blackness calls its bane. I find that as dreams and fate collide, the darkness fills the sky. From the coldness of its eyes, it curses the light to die. It whispers in my ear. That of which I fear. The name it speaks is cold and its presence draws ever near.

+++end playback+++

I've been doing a lot of painting. As mentioned in my last post I took everyone's advice and changed the lense color of the Redemptors from red to green. My buddy and I have been playing a narrative campaign that has spurred me onto fleshing out the Redemptors' backstory and current situation. Arcadia has been invaded and is a ruin. The Redemptors are besieged on all fronts. Reinforcements have arrived from the Cadian 541st, Grey Knights and Custodes. Even these reinforcements have not been able to stem the advance of Heretic Astartes, T'au and something else yet unknown to the wider Imperium in the system that the Redemptors are charged to protect.

XcMfOoZl.jpg

bkjcMvPl.jpg

I'm almost finished with the Space Hulk models. I just need to paint the Librarian. I set up a mini display using the Kill Team box set board and terrain. 

IIecP0el.jpg

• 3 months later...

I've been working on some terrain. Here are two WIP pictures of the building I'm working on:

LixHCOVl.jpg

73wdG4hl.jpg

I used the terrain from two Kill Team starter sets and a set of Sector Imperialis Sanctus set. I'm hoping to finish assemble and start painting this weekend.

I ordered the Shadowspear box set so the Redemptors should be fielding a Vanguard force of Marines in the near future. The box set release date is perfectly timed since the campaign I've been playing with my buddy has seen Arcadia invaded and reduced to ruin by the Death Guard.

-pops head in-

Well first of all, BY THE EMPEROR! That building looks superb! Can't wait to see what it will look like all finished up! Will it be based or left loose to fit onto any board?

The green lenses look much better than the red ones from before, with the backstory you've written too, I presume we might see some more old school marines to hint at their desperate time of using every weapon in their arsenal for survival.

Would you mind if I submitted this to Philip S.'s 1000 Chapter Gallery? He's been collecting every Chapter created by the community alongside official GW ones into a single resource.

Cambrius

Thank you, Brother Cambrius. The building is going to be left loose (for now) so that I can use it on my board or on a friend's board. I haven't glued the levels together to aid with ease of painting. By doing so, I'm able to have the terrain used as one big building or the remains of several smaller buildings. I also thought that I could add to the building in the future. I'm hoping to finish this behemoth in the next week or two. 

I have a fair amount of old pewter marines that are (or soon will be) painted as Redemptors. I have always enjoyed the character of the older models.

Wow! Thank you for posting a link to the 1000 Chapter Gallery. That's an excellent resource. I wouldn't mind at all if you submitted the Redemptors.

I've been making some progress on terrain. I kept the building floors separate so that I can add levels as I see fit. Plus, it makes painting the terrain a lot easier. I had initially planned to paint the terrain beige, like my other stuff, but instead went with a darker color. I sprayed the models with black primer and then drybrushed Incubi Darkness, followed by Terminus stone. The metal parts are drybrushed Leadbelcher and Balthazar Gold. The rust effect was achieved by stippling Ryza Rust then a wash of AK Interactive Rust Streaks. The floors were done by drybrushing Dawnstone over black primer and then stippling on Administratum Grey.

I'm happy with how the terrain is coming out. Hopefully I'll have the rest of the building completed next week.

tIbNSeol.jpg

Here's another piece of the building; WIP shot of the floors.

BfjzpcDl.jpg

Edited by Shovellovin

• 2 weeks later...

That's beautiful work.

Thank you, Bjorn!

I finished the Sector Imperialis building but haven't take a photo yet because it's at my friend's house. 

I'm continuing to work on more terrain. Here is a piece that I'm working on from the Sector Mechanicus line. The red is a bit striking but I think it'll work out once I add other colors and a bit of orange to the building.

t3yFT45l.jpg

In between painting terrain I painted up a Primaris Librarian.

khaRnBCl.jpg

I also painted up the Black Legion marines from the Blackstone Fortress game. I really like these models. They're the first that've gotten me to start a Chaos force. I tried to make them look like they've been battling for the last 10,000 years. I may add more weathering to them. I'm not sure yet.

QSRaebDl.jpg

Awesome updates!

The terrain looks great as the sheer scale of it is huge and the paint job is showing off the detail. Definitely looks killer and I’m a bit envious you get to game with that.

The Primaris Redemptors are ace. I love the more worn look you’ve got on the Reivers, it hits the spot. I also love the glowing eyes on the librarian and the chapters colors on his cloak.

I also love the updated look on the Black Legion. I love how the liberator gold looks and would like to copy your work. Any chance for a recipe or step-by-step of how you did it?

Thank you, hushrong!

I'm still plugging away on terrain. Here is a piece that's just about done. I still need to add weathering to the walls, add a few little pieces and then do some touch-up work. 

I'm also working on 3 more reivers. They're really cool models; I'm enjoying painting them.

http://i.imgur.com/9fPO5uel.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've been interested more and more in Kill Team lately. I love being able to paint up different squads that I don't normally use in normal games of 40K. I started work on the Ad Mech that came with the Kill Team box set. I really like the models but they were a pain to get together.

zKCJvR8l.png

I finished up the Reiver squad. I really like these models. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do in Kill Team. I face T'au quite a bit. I'm hoping the maneuverability of the Reivers will help me deal with T'au stealth suits.

5PhJQJpl.png

I just stumbled across this thread - but I am glad I did!

That colour scheme is great and the background is good too.  When you changed the eyes to green, the whole scheme for the Redemptors really popped for me (Those Reivers look fab and your MkII Rhino looks boss.  So much other good stuff in here besides too!

You must continue!

MR.

I just stumbled across this thread - but I am glad I did!

That colour scheme is great and the background is good too.  When you changed the eyes to green, the whole scheme for the Redemptors really popped for me (Those Reivers look fab and your MkII Rhino looks boss.  So much other good stuff in here besides too!

You must continue!

MR.

Thank you, Mazer Rackham! I was stubborn about the eye color change but I'm glad I finally accepted everyone's advice. I really enjoy sharing the background of my homebrew Chapter with the B&C community. It's a good motivator to keep me painting and developing narrative campaigns with my buddy.

Your Reivers look well done, but if you don't intend to display them in the shade for dramatic effect, you should photograph them under better lighting, so we can better see and appreciate your work.

Good call, Bjorn. I've posted a clearer picture below. I'm hoping to set up a better area for taking photos in the near future.

Loving the work across this thread man, awesome work keep it up!

Thank you, BrotherEndcat!

5ZL2Gsol.jpg

Here is another shot of my Reivers. I think I'll put together another 5. I think 10 Reivers with the Vangaurd force from Shadowspear would be a fun force to play. The lore of my Chapter has been developing. Some tragic things have happened to the Redemptors (the next post will have details). 

I've started painting my Redemptors a bit more gritty. I still paint them Abaddon black, then edge highlight with Eshin Grey and Mechanicum Grey but now I sponge on Eshin Grey and Leadbelcher to simulate wear. Then I add AK rust streaks to give a dirty/worn-in look to the ceramite. 

jx8zlRBl.jpg

Here is some more WIP terrain that I'm working on. The painting of this terrain is pretty easy. After seeing the March (?) issue of White Dwarf I started drybrushing and stippling all my terrain. This terrain is primed black then drybrushed with Russ Grey and Leadbelcher. I plan to stipple Celestra Grey over the Russ Grey to give some depth to the panels. I'll also stipple Ryza rust on the metal parts. Then I'll go over the entire model with Streaking Grime and then Nuln Oil. After that I'll drybrush Necron compound or Ironbreaker to make the metal not look too dull.

VKP36Fml.jpg

After painting the Black Legion marines from Blackstone Fortress I knew that I had to paint up the models in the Shadowspear set. GW knocked it out of the park with the new Chaos and Primaris models. I'm hoping that after I finish the Shadowspear set that I can finally paint the Death Guard from Dark Imperium. They will be painted as Black Legion plague marines.

Edited by Shovellovin

• 2 weeks later...

I'm continuing to work on some Kill Team terrain. What's pictured is the alchomite stack from the Fangs of Ulfrich box set.

PA5KOFpl.jpg

In this photo the metal pieces on the left hand side have been given a wash of AK Rust Streaks. I apply it liberally to the model and then use a cotton ball to remove the excess. That way the wash leaves streaks. I like the weathered look this gives the model. Then on the metal parts on the right hand side, I've drybrushed Leadbelcher to bring back the metal color. Then I used gloss Nuln Oil just in the crevasses and on the rivets. I do this to give the metal on the models a bit more depth.

Here are some close-up photos to show how the metal parts of the model look.

http://i.imgur.com/fSJMWVAl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cNyy3V3l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dVUm11ml.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vBxzEbjl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, hushrong. I'm enjoying working on the terrain. I've been sneaking in pieces of terrain to work and working on them during my lunch breaks. 

I'm just about done with Haarken Worldclaimer. I bought this model because it's so cool not because I had planned to start a Black Legion force buuuuutttt then Games Workshop release Shadowspear then all other other Chaos models. And that's how I started my first Chaos army.

vCrY4Lyl.jpg

VNnxDjdl.jpg

A buddy of mine is working on a Word Bearers warband so I decided to have Haarken's base painted in the scheme of my buddy's models.