Redemptors Chapter (homebrew chapter)

No matter how you start upon the path of the Black Legion’s war March it is always a good thing :)

I was pretty excited when worldclaimer showed up and I was over the moon with shadowspear. Definitely good time and materials to start the BL.

Speaking of worldclaimer he looks fantastic! Grizzled, weathered, and murderous. I also love the added touch on the base. Always a fun way to jab a rival.

• 2 months later...

I've been working on the Shadowspear marines. I'm keeping up with a battle-worn look for the Redemptors. I plan to go back and add battle damage to all of the previous Redemptors that I've painted. I'll also switch from painting the leather bits red; I now paint them brown. Also, the soft parts of the armor is now gray. I had been painting those bits red. I want to keep just the faceplates and hands of the models red. I think they look better this way and it makes the red stand out more. 

Here are some WIP shots of the Shadowspear models I'm working on:

FaJco7Il.jpg

vXGPiHTl.jpg

7LBJlmbl.jpg

I've also put some work in on a Repulsor:

ZUUJ8cml.jpg

Here is an example of redoing the leather and soft armor bits on a Firstborn that I had painted a while back:

0bAjoISl.jpg

+++From the personal logs of Chapter Master Decimus+++

The enemy is at the gates. Numerous stronholds in our system have fallen to both the T'au and Death Guard. If one didn't know better, one would think that they are coordinating attacks. Obviously, that is not the case. The Xenos and Traitors war with one another as much as they do with us but they smell blood and are focusing their efforts on our holdings. We have requested aid from Terra but in this Dark Millenium contact with anyone outside the system is unreliable. The reinforcements that Lord Guilliman sent us these many years past have done much to bolster our defenses but we need more. We are quickly losing our grip on this system. The flow of refugees is increasing at an alarming rate. Thankfully, not all of the refugees are civilians. Remnants of Astra Militarum regiments have been trickling in with the civilians. I've tasked Colonel Folker with incorporating these regiments into the Arcadian ranks. Every citizen has been called upon to assist with the defense. 

We are now less than 400 Brothers. We once were 1,000. If we are to survive this we must rebuild and become stronger than we were before. Lord Guilliman's Unnumbered Sons have taught us that the old ways do not work. Even a Primarch isn't infallible. The Codex Astartes was wrong. Chapters are not enough to defend the Imperium in this new Dark Millenium. We must be Legion.

+++End transcript+++

• 3 weeks later...

Question: Do Redemptors Marines refer to Redemptor Dreadnoughts by a different name, to avoid confusion? Maybe "Primaris Dreadnoughts" instead?

Thanks, Bjorn. Tthe Redemptor dreadnoughts are referred to by name, not classification of dreadnought, by members of the Redemptors Chapter. For example, a Redemptor marine reference Honorable Brother Rovin (a Redemptor class dreadnought) and members of the Redemptors would know who was being spoken of. The Redemptors view those encased in dreadnought armor as exemplars of the Chapter. Those that endure unceasing pain and warfare in order to continue defending the Imperium are highly respected and revered. 

I'm just about done with the loyalist half of the Shawowspear box set. These models saw me continue to experiment with battle damage and weathering. I plan to go back a touch-up my previously painted Redemptors; adding battle damage and weathering.

http://i.imgur.com/aJkmBK3l.jpg

My buddy and I tried the Apocalypse rules for the first time. We played a 500 PL game. The game took all day; 10 hours but we didn't play the whole time. We took a 2 hour break for lunch and quite a bit of time was spent talking about rules or just shooting the breeze. Overall, we found the game very fun. I suspect games will be quicker once we have a better handle on the rules. 

http://i.imgur.com/NieKxbtl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RFPF3k0l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CyjnHrGl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZJGlWyzl.jpg

+++Post battle report transmitted to Chapter Master Decimus from Captain Josan+++

He has come, Brother. Mortarion himself led the attack on Fortress Alesia. A horde of Traitors, daemons and the Unclean assaulted our fortress and while we suffered many casualties we have broken the enemy. However, it seems that even with the loss of Mortarion there are significant numbers of the Death Guard amassing throughout Arcadia. We have bloodied our enemy but he is not defeated. Awaiting further orders. Attached are picts of the battle as well as detailed reports to give you a clear picture of our disposition in this quadrant.

+++end transmission+++

• 1 month later...

Congratulations on your victory. Is the wrecked Knight torso a terrain feature- maybe an objective- or did someone kitbash it into a vehicle?

Thank you, Bjorn. The wrecked knight is a piece of terrain that my buddy made. It's the first time we've used it in a game. I like your idea of it being an objective; we both enjoy narrative games so I'll have to work it into an upcoming campaign.

Awesome update! I love seeing battleshots with painted armies! Sounds like a heck of a game too!

Thank you, Hushrong. The game was a lot of fun. My buddy and I try to be fairly strict about not fielding models unless they're painted. 

Here is a converted model that I purchased from a B&C member a while back. He had this model set-up as a Deathwatch captain. I swapped out a few bits to make it able to work with my Redemptors. I'm trying to come up with a title for this model but am having a heck of a time. I want this model to represent a captain that is in charge of the Redemptors' traditions; a member of the Redemptors that ensures that the chapter brothers follow the mos maiorum of the Chapter. A Chaplain type of role but concerned more with customs, memorializing fallen brothers, battle honors and past victories than rallying the troops during battle.

http://i.imgur.com/xew5sJ9l.jpg

• 3 months later...

A friend of mine and I have been working on how to make our battles more immersive. I was recently inspired by the 30K Channel to create a more interesting board to play on. Below are the results. I spent about $10 on sand and different sizes of rocks Then I scavenged some smashed concrete blocks to use as large boulders. Minus the GW terrain, I spent about $40 making this table. It was totally worth it.

http://i.imgur.com/7eVgl3ll.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fVjHlCnl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/H2vJ7M0l.jpg

I'm looking forward to creating some new tables for my buddy and I to play on. The new Zone Mortalis terrain is awesome. I hope to begin work on some pieces in the near future.

• 4 months later...

I'm back to painting Redemptors after painting a ton of Adeptus Titanicus, Black Legion, Blackstone Fortress, etc.; being forced to remain at home due to COVID has done wonders for my backlog.

With 9th edition and the impending addition of melee Primaris marines I've regained my desire to paint my Redemptors. I had become a bit bored with them but that's no longer the case. 

Here is a Terminator and some Reivers I'm working on. After I complete these models I plan to start work on a couple of executioner tanks.

Lo0cdUKl.jpg

***Private Log of Brother Captain Garren***

In my research into the founding of the Chapter I was drawn to that of our progenitors; the Ultramarines. The records of Ultramar are much more complete than those of Terra. The Primarch, a student of history, does not share Terra's belief that inconvenient records must be suppressed or destroyed. It is because of that belief that I was able to discover that the Ultramarines may not have always been comprised of brothers from a single geneseed source. "Two plus eleven equals thirteen?" What does this mean? The 13th Legion absorbed recruits from many systems but this...this opens the door to so many more questions. Are we from the thirteenth? Are we something else?

Even Ultramar's archives were not immune to the destruction wrought during the Heresy. So much has been lost. My research has been a challenge. So many fragments of history. I am forced to come to conclusions based on fragments.

In our own records I found reference to red hands being a mark of disfavor. It was my understanding that during the Great Crusade the red helmet was used for censorship in the 13th Legion. More research is needed..."

***End transcription***

• 1 month later...

Good to see you back at them!!nand they are looking on the right path. Also liking the the tabletop terrain additions. How do you like playing on that?

Thank you, hushrong. Playing on the table with sand and rocks really changed the game for my buddy and I. We are planning on continuing to use those materials for future games. We are playing this Saturday so I should start working on the board soon.

***Excerpt from personnel journal of Evania Lux, Rogue Trader***

I have finally been able to return to Arcadia after these many years. I have been shocked to discover that the Redemptors have taken far heavier losses than Terra is aware. When I was last here, Arcadia was a fertile agri-world now it looks like a ragged scar. And the Redemptors....they've changed. They were always a morose sort but now they are cold; they have a coldness in their eyes that makes me wonder what has occurred here. This change makes me wonder if they're broken. I know that His Angels are more than we; the best and brightest of Humanity but even His Angels of Death are, at their core, human. Can an Angel be broken? What happened here?

***End Entry***

I'm just about done with the Chaplain and Bladeguard from Indomitus. What a difference between these models and the first wave of Primaris. I'm looking forward to making a melee focused Crusade force of Redemptors.

hIJPiN8l.jpg

Here are three simple kitbashes that I recently completed (well, maybe not quite done). The Terminator is a simple kitbash with the old pewter heavy flamer on a newer style Terminator. The middle model is my favorite. I've been playing around with the idea of a pure melee Firstborn squad. Now that Firstborn are getting 2 wounds and chainswords are -1 AP, I've decided to go all in. The marine on the right is a copy of a kitbash that Mandragola made in the Space Marine board. I thought it was such a great idea that I had to copy it. I'll be giving that marine 4 squad mates, also in running poses and armed with auto bolt rifles. I think the assault primaris legs are perfect for making dynamic Intersessors squads.

glkMF5wl.jpg

I'm thinking I'll add an impaled skull on the backpack on the middle model. I'm trying to think of ways to add a more brutal look to the Redemptors and give them a little flavor of their own.

Edited by Shovellovin

That sand table is epic! Is it all loose, so you can reform and change the terrain elevations and features when you want ?

Thank you, Yosef Hausakluif. Yes, the sand and rocks can be changed however I want. The only limit is my imagination. I will be adding a lot of concrete boulders to the next game to give extreme elevation differences; I think it should look really good and make the game enjoyable. The clean-up can be a lengthy process but the 30K Channel had some great videos about setting up boards and one of them showed how using a sieve can speed up the cleaning process.

I'm just about done with this veteran marine. I really like the look of a marine dual wielding melee weapons. I plan to make a few more.

yyz5BjYl.jpg

I'm not sure about the current model below. Perhaps I need a left arm that is pointing with less of a bend at the elbow? Or maybe I'll have him holding a chainsword? I had planned to continue working on the Indomitus models but I really enjoy how the rules allow for Firstborn to be customized to your heart's content.

4W93klel.jpg

***Excerpt from personnel journal of Evania Lux, Rogue Trader***

I cannot shake how different the Redemptors are since I last was here on Arcadia. I've spoken a contact of mine, an Astra Militarum officer, that has been fighting alongside the Redemptors for the past few years. He has also noticed a change in the Redemptors. 

"They are a dying Chapter. The never-ending conflicts with the T'au has severely depleted the ranks of the Redemptors. We [The Guard] have worked closely with them during these past years. The number of Redemptors that have taken part in joint-operations had dropped significantly. Further, supply lines have been hampered for both us and them. New material and munitions are arriving at a trickle; we cannot go on like this much longer. It is almost as if we are on our own out here. Because of this, it seems as if the Redemptors have changed their preferred method of warfare. They no longer rely on overwhelming firepower to awe the Enemy. They rely on precision strikes and....from what my men have described to me...abominable terror tactics. I can only surmise that the Redemptors use these tactics to demoralize the T'au."

I trust my contact but I am having a hard time believing what I'm being told. The Redemptors had been exemplars of the Ultramarines tradition; courage and honor were the twin pillars of their ideology. I find it hard to believe that they have become butchers. I hesitate on forwarding this information before I confirm it.

***end journal entry***

Excellent work on the Chaplain and the Bladeguard.

Thank you, Bjorn.

Edited by Shovellovin

Wait ... where are the redemptor dreadnoughts!?

Jk - this is great!

See page 2, smart-aleck! Kidding. Thank you. I'm inspired by a lot of there really imaginative and talented people here on the B&C.

I finished these three:

n5HaJajl.jpg

I'm really happy with how the marine with chainsword and power axe came out. The 30K characters are really good for kitbashing. I was thinking I may purchase the new Night Lords terminators and use them as Redemptors. I think they could be used for some very interesting additions to the Redemptors. I assume the FW terminators are the same scale as the new Chaos terminators?

Another plan I have is to take four of the Indomitus assault Intercessors and arm them with auto bolt rifles. The marine with the hammer above will be the sergeant of the group. I like the idea of having a small squad of Intercessors running with autobolt rifles to reinforce that marines armed with assault weapons are highly mobile.

A fun read! Always great to see people doing their own chapter and the Redemptors have a striking colour scheme and a catchy name, as mentioned above it's even dreadnought model worthy afterall! The table too is lovely, I ended up on the 30k channel myself awhile back and it certainly gives a very different feel for it all. Wish I had a space that I could keep something like that.

Hope to see more.

• 2 months later...

A fun read! Always great to see people doing their own chapter and the Redemptors have a striking colour scheme and a catchy name, as mentioned above it's even dreadnought model worthy afterall! The table too is lovely, I ended up on the 30k channel myself awhile back and it certainly gives a very different feel for it all. Wish I had a space that I could keep something like that.

Hope to see more.

Thank you, Torbenos. I'm lucky that I have a shed in my backyard where I can store my gaming table. As for the sand and rocks, I store those in bins that I bought at Home Depot. That way I can access the materials whenever I need them.

Next on my lists, is completing my Indomitus box. I've started on the Eradicators. They're really awesome models. I can't wait for the Heavy Intercessors to be released.

Here is a commission piece I had done for the Redemplors. The artist is @GerdDraws on instagram.

NbecvXql.jpg

• 1 month later...

Please pass on my compliments to GerdDraws, for the artist's skill and effort.

Thank you, Bjorn; I will.

Here are some of the assault intercessors from the Indomitus box set. I'm really proud of the face on the sergeant. 

PRygcr0l.jpg

I've been slow on painting more Redemptors lately but once I start playing games with them I'm sure I'll pick up the pace. I have a big model that I've been putting off for a while that I'll probably get to soon. Well, right after I finish my Fire Angels kill team and some Black Legion havocs.