It's been a long time...

Captain Semper

In full agreement on the positive impact of the ETL and similar events. I get more painted during them than at any other time, it really is great to have that external push to motivate you. The last ETL got me from about 300 points of painted Marines to nearly 5000.

I’ll keep an eye out for news when it starts and decide nearer the time I think. Although with all the encouraging posts after my first one in this thread I’m leaning towards joining up.

And if you vow for team Chaos we have dancing! :lol:

I think you'll find that Team Harlequin has the real dancing, not some cheap Slaaneshi knock-off. ;)
Pah!

Slaanesh dances on Team Harlequin!

med_gallery_63428_9407_161737.jpg

So I've been putting a lot of thought into this.  I was going to actually go into the re-paint of my Iron Hands for the Return of ETL ©, since I've been working slowly on my Alpha Legion the last six months.  But you know what?  I've been playing the Iron Hands pretty religiously for years now, ever since 5th Edition.  I'm going to take a break, and I'm going to keep knocking out my Alphas. . . "I can feel the Warp overtaking me!  It is a good pain."

Annoyingly I was just about to start on my Slaaneshi landraider then thought I'd better wait, guess I'll paint some not Templars from the fair planet of Bretonnii instead.

Arius Draken's War Host will join the other Chaos Warbands, alongside his Brothers from the Gilgamesh Campaign. I hope my Brothers Eldrick Shadowblade, Sagentus, Carrack, Uveron and Beachymike will join also.

Ave Dominus Nox!!

Celtic_Cauldron

Why not have every faction separate? If it has a codex, it's on its own.

Otherwise, why not combine Adeptus Astartes, Forces of the Imperium, Realm of Chaos, Xenos, and the Horus Heresy as their own five separate categories?

Why not have every faction separate? If it has a codex, it's on its own.

Otherwise, why not combine Adeptus Astartes, Forces of the Imperium, Realm of Chaos, Xenos, and the Horus Heresy as their own five separate categories?

Because some forums are hugely under-represented compared to others.

With respect, isn't that an issue for the under-represented forums? 

To mathematically balance all as equal isn't exactly fair. A sudden surge of popularity in an under-represented forum could throw off the mechanism created to balance things in the first place. Meh, maybe I'm wrong. I'm new to seeing how the ETL really works overall. I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Im all for having Daemons and CSM's as seperate factions, just like Blood Angels and Space Wolves are seperate. Its unfair mixing Marines, Daemons and Humans into one faction when they cover three books.

No doubt Chaos Fraeter will strip me, hang me from a tree and beat me like a Pinata then dance around my mangled corpse in celebration for saying that, the kinky buggers.

I like “winning” as much and more than most, but a win is only as good as the challenge. I completely endorse aligning “Factions” in a way that gives everyone a fun and fighting chance.

Wow ... those mega models really are worth points though went they. ;)

I don't think either Daemons or R&H are strong enough to standalone, personally.

CSM probably are, if that also includes Death Guard and Thousand Sons.

Having said that, I am completely and utterly unaware of what considerations go into making a 'grouping' of Factions so my opinions are, in a very real sense, worthless.

Res is correct. Not all forums are equally popular and the ETL has, through the years, strived to even out the chances of the less... “busy” forums. This has been a gradual and ongoing process with each ETL teaching us something - and this ETL will be no different.

There will be some interesting changes... ;)

I would have every sub faction count as a stand alone faction. Then every Craftworld, Chapter, Regement, Klan etc is in it for themselves. Would be a good way of seeing how popular certain armies are. Though that might be impractical due to all the book keeping involved.

Could break up the Marine and Chaos dex's into their seperate Chapters/Legions though, and the Heresy lot into loyslists and renegades.

End of the day though its the taking part, the banter and the dancing that matters.

No doubt Chaos Fraeter will strip me, hang me from a tree and beat me like a Pinata then dance around my mangled corpse in celebration for saying that, the kinky buggers.

We need a reason for that?

I thought that was just ‘every second Thursday’.

:lol:

Why not go down to individual squads? Tactical Squad Petrus vs. Platoon Andreas? :p

You Slaaneshi lot...

Thats the best idea you have had in ages!! :lol:

Maybe I am subliminally trying to handicap myself because I dont know if I want to paint these 80+ minis as Word Bearers or Slaanesh Renegades and convincing you to break Chaos into subfactions will force me into commiting to one of my armys. :lol:

Im glad its nearly time for Slaaneshi 'team building excercises' this week :D Ill remember the car battery and jumpleads this time. :tu:

I would have every sub faction count as a stand alone faction. Then every Craftworld, Chapter, Regement, Klan etc is in it for themselves. Would be a good way of seeing how popular certain armies are. Though that might be impractical due to all the book keeping involved.

Could break up the Marine and Chaos dex's into their seperate Chapters/Legions though, and the Heresy lot into loyslists and renegades.

End of the day though its the taking part, the banter and the dancing that matters.

Which runs the risk of robbing some Factions of motivation. 

I mean, I'm in it for me and me alone, but other people do like the camaraderie of putting forth a team effort to take the title and are inspired/motivated by it. There's just zero chance of, say, SoB coming anywhere close to taking the title by themselves.

There's just zero chance of, say, SoB coming anywhere close to taking the title by themselves.

Not this year anyway...:lol:

True, for armies like Sisters it will be tough, but then you have Sallamanders, Whitescars, Imperial/Crimson Fists, Templars, Ironhands, Ravenguard and those bloody annoying blue buggers as one faction.

I can see the appeal of seperating Marines and Chaos into their subfactions (and the general 'right-ness' of doing so), however I also can see how it would discourage people of less active subfactions to even try since they might be fighting all alone or with 1-2 others for their team.

It doesn't even have to be about winning. Just not having anyone else on your side would be pretty boring in such an event I'd say.

Archived