It's been a long time...

Captain Semper

Sounds fresh enough for ETL purposes!

I'm currently running the numbers trying to work out how much to vow per vow. No doubt I'll get to the day and go "stuff it, here's all the Alpha Legion dudes in one go!"

Dragonlover

so for us newbies do you only get to make the one pledge, or if I happen to finish the first one, can I make a second pledge half way through? Just started a Necron army thanks to forgebane and even the fairly complicated scheme I have in mind may paint up faster then I expect. Though waiting a month to start painting that cryptech may be more then I can stand...

Does it have to be a fresh unit, or can ETL be used as a prompt to finish a unit that has languished for months on end?

Each vow must only contain legal units in their own right. You cannot pledge add-ons or expansions to a pre-existing unit.

Any info on what date it'll begin?.

Soon there will be an official announcement. Expect it in a month more or less!

so for us newbies do you only get to make the one pledge, or if I happen to finish the first one, can I make a second pledge half way through? Just started a Necron army thanks to forgebane and even the fairly complicated scheme I have in mind may paint up faster then I expect. Though waiting a month to start painting that cryptech may be more then I can stand...

You may make up to 5 vows (no unit limit in each vow but they are all capped at 3,000pts each). However, bear in mind, that you may never have two vows running in parallel. You must first complete your outstanding vow before moving to the next.

Sorry if it was covered and I missed it, but with up to 5 vows, are you limited to everything from one army book? In the past could you say do a vow for 20 Ultramarines terminators, then 20 Blood Angels tactical for your next, etc? I have a lot of projects I juggle and as productive as painting a ton of Ultras would be, it gets boring with all that blue.

Sorry if it was covered and I missed it, but with up to 5 vows, are you limited to everything from one army book? In the past could you say do a vow for 20 Ultramarines terminators, then 20 Blood Angels tactical for your next, etc? I have a lot of projects I juggle and as productive as painting a ton of Ultras would be, it gets boring with all that blue.

[Disclaimer: the following is based on past ETLs]

It's not one book, just the ETL Faction that you make your first vow for.

So if you have BA and UM armies, you have a choice to make as they are different ETL Factions.

If you have Black Legion, Khorne Daemons and R&H armies, you're golden as they are all one ETL Faction.

Same if you have Guard, Inquisition, or As Mech armies - you can work on all three as they are one ETL Faction and stay your boredom.

You could paint the BA as an out of competition entry, and still get the Custos Fidei if you complete all your vows but you won't be contributing any points to the UM.

The idea is basically a competition between subforums in order to give you motivation to plow through some of that pile of plastic crack - you're not just painting for yourself, but for the glory of your faction. Mixing different factions doesn't really work. That said of course, it will come down to what groups of factions are put in to make it fairer in terms of numbers - if marines all get treated as one super faction this year, then you'd be fine to mix and match though that's probably not happening based upon past events.

Tbh I dont even care if Chaos takes first or not. We smashed it 3 years running, cant see any other faction doing that. I would like the Templars to take first place, they deserve it for the ammount of cheek I have given them for the past ETL's, but deep down inside I want my brothers in the Aett to win as the Space Wolves are by far the coolest non heretic faction ever. :wub:

Who came second and third last time?

I’m really interested in this but not sure It’ll be worth it for me as I’m really slow at building and painting etc etc excuses excuses

Perfect excuse to join in then, get a friendly nudge to help you along from your faction brothers.

I’m really interested in this but not sure It’ll be worth it for me as I’m really slow at building and painting etc etc excuses excuses

A lot of us suffer the same as you, myself included. I’m a very slow modeller and painter. But the last 3 ETLs, I tend to pump out more in those 3 months than the rest of the year. The ETL builds a lot of energy and enthusiasm. All it takes is to even vow a single legal model, then just see where you go from there! Give it a try!

I hate painting, but when the banter starts and (unofficial) challenges between fraeter are made over who paints the most I go all in.

Even if you just paint a HQ mini your contributing to your faction, trust me its fun.

And if you vow for team Chaos we have dancing! :lol:

A lot of us suffer the same as you, myself included. I’m a very slow modeller and painter. But the last 3 ETLs, I tend to pump out more in those 3 months than the rest of the year. The ETL builds a lot of energy and enthusiasm. All it takes is to even vow a single legal model, then just see where you go from there! Give it a try!

This!^

People can participate with a single miniature. Although quantity is welcome, we really encourage quality ... start with something small and manageable and see where it gets you. :)

I hate painting, but when the banter starts and (unofficial) challenges between fraeter are made over who paints the most I go all in.

Even if you just paint a HQ mini your contributing to your faction, trust me its fun.

And if you vow for team Chaos we have dancing! :lol:

You really want to meet the business end of my plasma pistol? Stop corrupting people! :lol:

I am like that, too. In the three months of Call of Chaos I built and painted ca. 1700pts of Daemons. In the four months since, I haven't yet finished the other 300pts.

These events can be powerful motivation for those of us who struggle to crack on from time to time.

I'll join that chorus. The only reason I have any painted models is the ETL and the Call. The trick is to embrace the atmosphere. If you just vow and wander off, of course you won't get anything done. However, if you post in the Strategium, check the Strategium regularly and generally get on board with the whole thing, it's so much better.

I tend to lurk in every other factions Strategium as well, cause sometimes I get motivated because someone else painted something insane. I think it was ETL IV I hit a bit of a slump one day. I wandered into the HH Strategium, someone had knocked out a beautiful Imperial Fists Fellblade in like, two days. My brain just went "If they can do that, you can paint three boltguns today" and that spurred me on to keep the ball rolling and finish another squad.

Also never afraid to post in your Strategium "Hey guys, I'm looking at my stuff to paint and the motivation is gone, help!". Within half an hour you'll have had three people post something encouraging and probably someone else tell you they're in the same boat. Knowing you're not the only person having a slump works wonders. Happens every few weeks in the Chaos Strategium thanks to Raptor trim cause it's tedious and fiddly and inevitably someone will vow a couple of squads and forget how much of a pain they are.

Finally, remember this: if you only paint one boltgun, then don't touch the paints for the rest of the day, that's one more boltgun painted than yesterday. Maybe tomorrow you'll paint two boltguns. Maybe you'll get a burst, finish a vow, bask in the warm fuzzies for a bit then revow and do it all over again. Either way, that's tomorrow. Everyone has enough time in a day to paint one boltgun.

Dragonlover

Archived