Zoinkscalibur

Hello! I am brand-spankin’ new to the 40k scene, but I have 1000pts in Skaven for AoS/Fantasy, and I can’t help but say that your beautiful minis are quite alluring to a new one like me.

I created a very horrible list that mixed 3 different factions together, and you can go check that out if you can find it, but I’d rather leave that in it’s grave. Basically, I just wanted to create a Thousand Sons/Death Guard/hardly Alpha Legion list. These are, of course, the 3 most popular, so I want my list to be a little spicy and special.

How would I go about creating that list? I have no specific point value in mind, but I want something that can hold the biggest, baddest and JUICIEST units of all the legions. What should I add? I want some of those yummy rubrics and plague marines, and some Terminators to boost the cool meter up to like an 8.3, and then some Alpha legion dreadnoughts and snipers to wrap the whole list up. The rest I would fill in with what’s available to me, assuming I can get the Terminators for a good price. (eBay?)

The rest I would fill in with the baddies like Mortarion and a converted Plaguereaper (if that’s legal,) then Alpharius because Alpharius. What would be the MOST effective way of going about creating a multi-faction list? Should I have all of the troops come from one army, tanks from another? Would this even WORK? (Is it specifically 30k or 40k restricted in some way?)

Thanks to any and everyone who takes a little time to leave a reply, it helps loads.

—Zoinkscalibur

A good list currently would be 3 TS daemon princes, death guard daemon engine (3 spitter drones+ plague burst to taste) and alpha legion cultist (like 120).

Any point left filled with mandatory HQ and flavor unit, but there will probably not have any points after all that.

A good list currently would be 3 TS daemon princes, death guard daemon engine (3 spitter drones+ plague burst to taste) and alpha legion cultist (like 120).

Any point left filled with mandatory HQ and flavor unit, but there will probably not have any points after all that.

This looks like a pretty great start, some really nice potential models to paint and a good variety of choices. However, the main units I was looking to snatch were the Terminator units and the Marines. Where would these come in to play?

I’m not a huge fan of the cultist units, and they kind of go against the strict army feel that I was going for, but by no means does this mean that I won’t use them if the render my army extremely weak. It’s the exact same scenario for the Daemon prince, it’s not my first choice for a government sanctioned army. (As far as Chaos Governments go.) I want a really nice looking army first, and a tactically capable army second. Not amazing, not metabreaking, not even GREAT army, just one that would snatch a few wins once in a while.

Thanks a ton for answering my question, so soon at that, you’ve helped me take some very big steps into my army.

As always —Zoinkscalibur

After the rules patch(tide of traitors once per game), you don't need that many cultists.

TSons DP is super effective, but Ahriman has a higher priority.

Oh man, that’s good. I was hoping Tide would help. The Exalted Sorcerers looked like particularly interesting models, would it be appropriate to include them? I am not sure of the function of the Daemon Princes, so what to they do? I like converting, if I could put some shoulder pads on him and a faceplate to make him look more in place, he would be a welcome addition.

The main feel of the army I’m going for is just kind of an alliance or a hold-to with Mortarion and Magnus and their troops. The Alpha legion as well. Each primarch would think that they were in control of the others. Just kind of a whole Army feel that I love from 40k, more marines than anything else.

Basically what I’m trying to get at is; is there some way that I can get a checklist of unit types to fill? Like 3 troop units, Alpharius, and 2 Fast Attacks, that sort of thing.

Thanks a lot for all your guys’ help each response goes a mile in helping me out.

As always —Zoinkscalibur

Oh man, that’s good. I was hoping Tide would help. The Exalted Sorcerers looked like particularly interesting models, would it be appropriate to include them? I am not sure of the function of the Daemon Princes, so what to they do? I like converting, if I could put some shoulder pads on him and a faceplate to make him look more in place, he would be a welcome addition.

The main feel of the army I’m going for is just kind of an alliance or a hold-to with Mortarion and Magnus and their troops. The Alpha legion as well. Each primarch would think that they were in control of the others. Just kind of a whole Army feel that I love from 40k, more marines than anything else.

Basically what I’m trying to get at is; is there some way that I can get a checklist of unit types to fill? Like 3 troop units, Alpharius, and 2 Fast Attacks, that sort of thing.

Thanks a lot for all your guys’ help each response goes a mile in helping me out.

As always —Zoinkscalibur

Exalted Sorcerers? Cool model, new kits with fine details, poor rules. Their psychic abilities are almost the same as a DP(but DP can learn from 3 disciplines, instead of 2), and their statline is totally overwhelmed by Princes.

The 120 cultists are for more than tide of traitor.

They benefit imensly from any buff, are very good a killing other chaff and control the board. Nothing kills chaff but other chaff, making them necessary in some quantity for high level play.

The Daemon princes are the best unit availlable to chaos as a whole, T son's one being the best kind of DP. Deathguard's not far behind IMO.

They do it all, strong in melee,

Psycher, fast, fly, reroll aura and is an untargetable character. On top of being a mandatory HQ choice that unlocks command points.

The 120 cultists are for more than tide of traitor.

They benefit imensly from any buff, are very good a killing other chaff and control the board. Nothing kills chaff but other chaff, making them necessary in some quantity for high level play.

The Daemon princes are the best unit availlable to chaos as a whole, T son's one being the best kind of DP. Deathguard's not far behind IMO.

They do it all, strong in melee,

Psycher, fast, fly, reroll aura and is an untargetable character. On top of being a mandatory HQ choice that unlocks command points.

Wow that’s really great to know. I have already picked up some of the cultists, and they seem pretty fun to paint. And when you mention the Thousand Son’s Daemon Prince, I cant seem to find a specific model pertaining to the Thousand Sons for the Daemon Prince, are there separate Daemon Prince statlines for the different factions? If so, then I could gladly do some converting for that fellow.

And when @Tokuguwa mentions Exalted Sorcerers being unimpressive performance wise, (since I’m not planning on being Uber-Competitive,) would they be viable at all, or should I just skip them entirely? Also, before I go and snatch up a Daemon Prince model, is there anything at all that would be an OK substitute for one? I’m not a very huge fan of the model at all, so if I could proxy something, that would be ideal.

Thanks loads for your help, guys!!

—Zoinkscalibur

There is only 1 demon prince model  that is for all chaos marks and factions (well, there is an old metal one too, but it is also omni-faction).  So, just get the regular demon prince model and build & paint it in a way that lloks tzeenchian to you. :)  Each faction`s demon prince has the same rules as well - what differs is what relics you can give it, or (by mark) which psychic powers.

The daemon prince model is very basic, but its a great opportunity for conversion or kit bash.

There is a wingless daemon prince of nurgle model (online only) and a few 3rd party makes model for daemon princes that are acceptable.

All daemon princes have the same core stats, with different rules. some have a bolter, Death guard have Disgustingly resilient and can take a flamer, Khorn dosent have psychic power at all. What makes the T son one so great is that he casts 2 powers with all the bonus of being a T son's and has a 4++ invulnerable save so he is tough and deadly. 

The death guard daemon prince as access to the suppurating plate Relic that gives him a 2+ save along a "all attacked saved return a mortal wounds" mechanic that make your beat stick that much tough and dangerous. 

I dont know Thousand son's well enough to have an opinion on Exalted Sorcerers, but a general rule in 8E is that every unit can be taken without being an handicap. also, smite is very good with thousand son's in particular, so even if they do not perform exceptionally well they should not be terrible either. Since you cannot have more than 3 princes, they may not be that bad if you like them. So long as you do not make your list out of mostly "low tier" units you should be fine.

All Power armored troop unit are currently low tier. They cost way too much for the bolter they usually carry and fight with. Power armored troops are a flavor choices and best not fill your list with them. 

Actually, (Sorry to double post,) I have another idea pertaining to the cultists. I have many Skaven already, so I could possibly just proxy them. However, after taking a look at the cultists, they are simply too thrown together for the color scheme of my paints. It sounds dumb, but that was one of the determining factors for the 40k army I was going to choose.

Is there anything at all I could use to replace the cultists performance wise? I can’t seem to find any large sums of Marine-Like models to fit for a proxy. At that, I still wanted my army to be on the lower side of troops, though otherwise isn’t out of the window. I wanted this to basically be Space Marines, but with the far superior model range available to Chaos.

Any tips?

Again, sorry for the double post, but thanks for the trove of information you’ve given me!

—Zoinkscalibur

The daemon prince model is very basic, but its a great opportunity for conversion or kit bash.

There is a wingless daemon prince of nurgle model (online only) and a few 3rd party makes model for daemon princes that are acceptable.

All daemon princes have the same core stats, with different rules. some have a bolter, Death guard have Disgustingly resilient and can take a flamer, Khorn dosent have psychic power at all. What makes the T son one so great is that he casts 2 powers with all the bonus of being a T son's and has a 4++ invulnerable save so he is tough and deadly.

The death guard daemon prince as access to the suppurating plate Relic that gives him a 2+ save along a "all attacked saved return a mortal wounds" mechanic that make your beat stick that much tough and dangerous.

I dont know Thousand son's well enough to have an opinion on Exalted Sorcerers, but a general rule in 8E is that every unit can be taken without being an handicap. also, smite is very good with thousand son's in particular, so even if they do not perform exceptionally well they should not be terrible either. Since you cannot have more than 3 princes, they may not be that bad if you like them. So long as you do not make your list out of mostly "low tier" units you should be fine.

All Power armored troop unit are currently low tier. They cost way too much for the bolter they usually carry and fight with. Power armored troops are a flavor choices and best not fill your list with them.

Oh, haha yikes. That’s exaclty what I was preparing to do, so your information is very valuable there. Assuming there is no way to make them higher teir, I think for the most part, I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place. The power armor units are the coolest of the cool (and aren’t that hard to paint...) so it sucks pretty hard they aren’t good.

It would feel scummy to me to proxy the whole army, so I’m not quite sure what to do. Either suck it up and take a crappy army (which wouldn’t be that fun,) or wait a literal eternity to HOPE for a good FAQ points patch... what are some good lists I could take a look at? For now, I’ll browse the B&C to try and find something that looks nice and isn’t hot garbage.

Thanks a grand ton for the information you guys have all contributed, I don’t think I could stand creating a list like that on my own, it helps IMMENSELY.

—Zoinkscalibur

EDIT: After browsing B&C for a while, I was wondering how unviable Power Armored are? They don’t look like they’re too bad, but I honestly trust your guys’ word a little more. I have a rough cut idea of a list—if you guys might want to check that out and point out every thing I inevitably failed to notice just say so and I’ll bring it up n’ out. (Thanks!)

So you want a mixed list of three subfactions with mainly some of the most expensive and most underperforming infantry that we currently have in the game. Quite a challenge from the points point of view alone and it surely won't be competetive but if possible it should still be a nice list for casual games.

I've clicked around a little bit in Battlescribe and came up with this for a 2k list:

Alpha Legion Battalion Detachment:

1x Daemon Prince with Wings, dual Talons, Mark of Slaanesh, Elixir (relic)

1x Dark Apostle, Combi-bolter

2x20 Cultists, Mark of Slaanesh

1x19 Cultists, Mark of Slaanesh

1x3 Obliterators, Mark of Slaanesh

Death Guard Patrol Detachment:

1x Daemon Prince with Wings, dual Talons

2x5 Plague Marines, 2 Blight Launcher

1x5 Blightlords, 5 Combi-Melta

Thousand Sons Patrol Detachment:

2x5 Rubric Marines

1x5 Scarab Occult Terminators, 1 Soulreaper Cannon

Total: 1999p

I would've gone without the Cultists but then it would've been basically impossible to get a Battalion Detachment in and you'd be down to 3CP instead of 8CP and you really don't want that. In fact even 8CP are a bit low for 2k points.

The Dark Apostle is only there because I needed a second HQ, he's cheap and helps a little bit to keep your Cultists together. An Exalted Champion could be a cheap alternative I guess.

The rest is pretty basic. Absolute minimum of anything to make your army battleforged while still having Terminators in the list. The Daemon Princes are a bit of a luxury but they're simply too good to pass and gives your army a nice theme of being led by three different princes with their personal guards or whatever.

So you want a mixed list of three subfactions with mainly some of the most expensive and most underperforming infantry that we currently have in the game. Quite a challenge from the points point of view alone and it surely won't be competetive but if possible it should still be a nice list for casual games.

I've clicked around a little bit in Battlescribe and came up with this for a 2k list:

2x5 Rubric Marines

I would've gone without the Cultists but then it would've been basically impossible to get a Battalion Detachment in and you'd be down to 3CP instead of 8CP and you really don't want that. In fact even 8CP are a bit low for 2k points.

The Dark Apostle is only there because I needed a second HQ, he's cheap and helps a little bit to keep your Cultists together. An Exalted Champion could be a cheap alternative I guess.

The rest is pretty basic. Absolute minimum of anything to make your army battleforged while still having Terminators in the list. The Daemon Princes are a bit of a luxury but they're simply too good to pass and gives your army a nice theme of being led by three different princes with their personal guards or whatever.

That’s incredible!! Sorry I didn’t see this until now, it just flew under my radar. This is beyond impressive, and I appreciate it beyond measure. I’ll go ahead and check all of these fantastic models. How competitive would this be? I don’t want to get hammered, even if it’s not casual. Compared to other lists, heck, out of ten how competitive? This is beyond what I was expecting. Thank you SO much for this list!!

Many Thanks

—Zoinkscalibur

2x5 Rubric Marines

That’s incredible!! Sorry I didn’t see this until now, it just flew under my radar. This is beyond impressive, and I appreciate it beyond measure. I’ll go ahead and check all of these fantastic models. How competitive would this be? I don’t want to get hammered, even if it’s not casual. Compared to other lists, heck, out of ten how competitive? This is beyond what I was expecting. Thank you SO much for this list!!

Many Thanks

—Zoinkscalibur

In most forum discussions, if you include more than 1 units of Terminators in your list, then your list would be categorised as "casual" or "uncompetitive" immediately.

The truth may hurts.

In most forum discussions, if you include more than 1 units of Terminators in your list, then your list would be categorised as "casual" or "uncompetitive" immediately.

The truth may hurts.

Alas! The coolest units aren’t the best... This is where proxies make their work :/

2x5 Rubric Marines

Many Thanks

—Zoinkscalibur

It really wasn't that much work. Starting with Daemon Princes, filling the smallest detachment and also trying to add in a Terminator-like unit for each of them and then you're already out of points. :D

I don't think it makes much sense to rate a list from 1-10 competetiveness-wise unless you're already a pro tournament player. Lets just say that you won't win tournaments with it unless it's a really casual one where nobody took optimized lists and in friendly games you'll struggle depending on how serious your opponent is about winning.

The strong points about this list are definitely the Daemon Princes and your Psy phase but also the Slaanesh Obliterators (take a look at the CSM Stratagems!) tho I'd like to take a bigger unit for more oomph normally. On the other hand you're lacking anti-tank apart from the Blightlords which can be easily denied by screening units.

The rest is rather slow and not as tanky as we'd like them to be while also not being quite as many as they'd need to be with their level of tankiness. Or short: the usual Marine problem currently. Rhinos would help here a bit but there really aren't any points left to take them.

If we say proper tournament lists range from 8-10 with 8 being the weaker tournament lists, I'd say this list ranks like 5-6 maybe? However I'm not a regular tournament player so I'm probably not the best to ask about that kind of rating anyway. ^^

2x5 Rubric Marines

Many Thanks

—Zoinkscalibur

If we say proper tournament lists range from 8-10 with 8 being the weaker tournament lists, I'd say this list ranks like 5-6 maybe? However I'm not a regular tournament player so I'm probably not the best to ask about that kind of rating anyway. ^^
Wow man! Even more info! This is incredible, and I would actually gladly take out the true Terminators, and do some heavy kitbashing to make them Obliterators. This would let us have more Obliterators and less Terminators—Win Win! In my eyes, as long as they look nice and my opponent doesn’t mind about the kitbashing, I would GLADLY convert the models.

With this in mind, is there any way to make the Marines units look like something more competitive? I would just hate to “proxy” my whole army, as that feels scummy and my opponent might have less fun, but if I can do some converting to the models then both of us would be happy!

Thank you so much for the bounty of help you’ve given me, I think I’m well on my way to my first 40k army!! (Maybe 5/10 ;-).

—Zoinkscalibur

Alright, after some careful consideration, I think that your list is the way to go. But I have two small questions first. 1.) if I were to take out the Scarab Occult Terminators and convert 2 of them into Obliterators I would have a few points left. What I was thinking of spending these on is an Alpha Legion Contempter Dreadnought because my friend has a good trade for one. I think the points work out to have almost exactly enough. I really like the model, and I think it would be one of the kind of “staples” to the look of the army. Would this be smart, or should I go for more of something else? I have almost exactly enough cultists, (6 left over,) because I was thinking of using my Skaven Clanrats mixed with the real models for a few games. Would the Contempter be appropriate for the army, or should I go for something else?

2.) this last question is just out of curiosity. Why do the cultists and the Obliterators have the Mark of Slaanesh over another God? No worries here, I’m just curious.

Thanks a lot guys!!

—Zoinkscalibur

Alright, after some careful consideration, I think that your list is the way to go. But I have two small questions first. 1.) if I were to take out the Scarab Occult Terminators and convert 2 of them into Obliterators I would have a few points left. What I was thinking of spending these on is an Alpha Legion Contempter Dreadnought because my friend has a good trade for one. I think the points work out to have almost exactly enough. I really like the model, and I think it would be one of the kind of “staples” to the look of the army. Would this be smart, or should I go for more of something else? I have almost exactly enough cultists, (6 left over,) because I was thinking of using my Skaven Clanrats mixed with the real models for a few games. Would the Contempter be appropriate for the army, or should I go for something else?

2.) this last question is just out of curiosity. Why do the cultists and the Obliterators have the Mark of Slaanesh over another God? No worries here, I’m just curious.

Thanks a lot guys!!

—Zoinkscalibur

To be quiet honest, I don't think there's any overly smart thing to do with that army concept. The current rules aren't nice to elite-ish armies and especially not to Marines unfortunately. So taking less bodies in favour of a Contemptor Dreadnought could actually make your list worse even tho the Contemptor Dreadnought is a great unit in itself.

One thing should be clear to you when you play such a list: It's not to win, it's because you want to play exactly these units. You'll probably lose more often than you win with it unless your opponents play similar unoptimized lists.

However as I said before, I'm not a competetive player myself and I also don't have any real experience with such kind of mixed lists so everything I tell you here is strictly theoretical knowledge.

What I can tell you is that if you like the Contemptor Dread more than the Scarab Occult Terminators and if it works out points-wise then go for it and see for yourself whether it works or not. What's appropriate for your army is up to you to decide. ;)

Mark of Slaanesh because the double shooting Stratagem for Slaanesh units in the CSM Codex is really strong. Especially combined with the Veteran of the Long War Stratagem. Also because Slaanesh is my chosen god to worship. :P

If you're going to be running 120 cultists it is best to run them as Iron Warriors and give them a chaos lord as the warlord so they auto-pass morale. They become pretty difficult to move, then you ally in whatever else you want.

Thanks a lot guys!!

—Zoinkscalibur

To be quiet honest, I don't think there's any overly smart thing to do with that army concept. The current rules aren't nice to elite-ish armies and especially not to Marines unfortunately. So taking less bodies in favour of a Contemptor Dreadnought could actually make your list worse even tho the Contemptor Dreadnought is a great unit in itself.

One thing should be clear to you when you play such a list: It's not to win, it's because you want to play exactly these units. You'll probably lose more often than you win with it unless your opponents play similar unoptimized lists.

However as I said before, I'm not a competetive player myself and I also don't have any real experience with such kind of mixed lists so everything I tell you here is strictly theoretical knowledge.

What I can tell you is that if you like the Contemptor Dread more than the Scarab Occult Terminators and if it works out points-wise then go for it and see for yourself whether it works or not. What's appropriate for your army is up to you to decide. ;)

Mark of Slaanesh because the double shooting Stratagem for Slaanesh units in the CSM Codex is really strong. Especially combined with the Veteran of the Long War Stratagem. Also because Slaanesh is my chosen god to worship. :P

Wow man, it’s been a pleasure working this list out with you, and I’m proud to say I’ve made my final adjustments to my list. I’ve been really browsing the lists on this site, and I feel like I have a list I will be really happy with. Yes, no wins will come out of it anytime soon but I will surely only occasionally play with my army. I won’t give you the list unless you really feel like it’s necessary because I’m sure you have other things to do then check some Warhammer list, but I do have it. This whole experience has been very eye opening, and I salute you for your contributions—it’s gone miles. I’m sure Tzeentch and Nurgle (and Slaanesh ;) ) will be proud of the warriors representing them on the field.

I’m very excited to paint up these fellows, and hopefully post some pics!! Thanks to Black Triton, Tokugawa, sfPanzer, (and Aothaine,) for their defining contributions. I might come back later with some adjustments, and unless you want my final outline for the list, but overall—looks like I’m clearing the finish line for the army building stage.

Thanks guys!!!

—Zoinkscalibur

Archived