Codex Next Week

lonewolf81

Since WG are or eqyivalent to veterans I doubt they will have their point changed until at least CA. Since most reviewers do not leak points and the omes who do (for example SS82) do not play a lot of SW, few things have happened. I can say the Bjorn, Logam, Krom and seemeingly the Stormfang have been reduced in points. But do nit expect any shared or equivalent units have a change

Ignore most of the reviews talking about points and wait for the actual codex

Many of the ones i watched were non SW players and clueless about our army

They had no idea points were already changed for Chapter Approved and gave incorrect comparisons to the original index

They had no idea points were already changed for Chapter Approved and gave incorrect comparisons to the original index

This I have seen. The chamges I mentioned from SS82 are not because he said it changed, but because when he said the points value in the Dex, I compared it to my Battlescribe and Index, as well as my copy of CA. As such of his quoted values stand there are some changes for Characters.

And I don't understand GW. When completing the order the Collectors edition came again into stock... well I won't complain. It is my first codex and I like that it is special.

This I have seen. The chamges I mentioned from SS82 are not because he said it changed, but because when he said the points value in the Dex, I compared it to my Battlescribe and Index, as well as my copy of CA. As such of his quoted values stand there are some changes for Characters.

And I don't understand GW. When completing the order the Collectors edition came again into stock... well I won't complain. It is my first codex and I like that it is special.

Perhaps someone cancelled their order or a credit card didn't go through somewhere? :) either way, congrats! 

I did not want the special edition book. I grabbed the dice and datacards instead. I had to choose between fancy book or more stuff haha. 

Perhaps someone cancelled their order or a credit card didn't go through somewhere? :) either way, congrats!

I did not want the special edition book. I grabbed the dice and datacards instead. I had to choose between fancy book or more stuff haha.

Thanks. Maybe something happened. Thanks to my OCD for rechecking before doing the order. And in the end went for everything. Collectors, dice and carda aside with the TDA I wanted months ago for PL. Been a while simce I bought something, gave myself a treat.

Saga of Majesty looks terrible. Only really works when after the deed.

Ran

I think it will depend on who it is on. Bjorn is already on a huge base. Surround him with wolves/units (chaff) and they won't die from morale and his re-roll aura will have an extra 3" to it. 

Hell, Putting it on a Wolf Priest would be useful with multiple Wulfen units.  1n 18" spread between them instead of a 12" spread is quite a difference.  getting the reroll aura and the leadership aura would be great.  If anything i care much less about accomplishing the deed if i take majesty.

That being said, im liking the +1 to wound vs vehicles/monsters the best. 

How much are wolf guard with jump packs? anyone heard anything cause regular ones dropped to 15 points.

The miniwargaming review went in depth on most of the numbers, but this is one they skipped (probably because it didn't get its own datasheet).

I squinted at the following video and it appears that Wolf Guard with Jump Pack are still at 19 points, just as they were in Chapter Approved (EDIT: heavy on the "appears" - I only checked one spot where he had the page open to the points values and it was blurry enough that it could have been 18):

Saga of the Hunter... OMG !!!

Best one and easiest to pull off (because your warlord making a saving throw actually demands your warlord to be in front, which you probably are not going to do).

I see Thunderwolf Lords and their Thunderfriends getting this for maximum fun (unless they are absurdly costly).

Ran

Saga of Majesty looks terrible. Only really works when after the deed.

Ran

I think it will depend on who it is on. Bjorn is already on a huge base. Surround him with wolves/units (chaff) and they won't die from morale and his re-roll aura will have an extra 3" to it. 

Problem is how you activate the ability. Njal and Bjorn are good pieces, but how are they suppose to kill the enemy warlord from range?

Ran

You are thinking Saga of the Bear . :D

I don't think we have access to chaplain Dreads.

IIRC the Imperial Armour: Forces of the Adeptus Astartes FAQ gave us access to the full range of the book, so, yes we should have access to the Venerable Chaplain (Wolf Priest) Dreadnought.

Edit: It does. Here is the text:

"FAQs Q: Are there any restrictions on which Chapter I can choose when replacing the <Chapter> Faction keyword on datasheets within this book? A: Yes. You cannot choose for any of these units to be from the Legion of the Damned or Grey Knights Chapters. They can be from any other Chapter though, including Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves and Deathwatch."

"FAQs Q: Are there any restrictions on which Chapter I can choose when replacing the <Chapter> Faction keyword on datasheets within this book? A: Yes. You cannot choose for any of these units to be from the Legion of the Damned or Grey Knights Chapters. They can be from any other Chapter though, including Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves and Deathwatch."

Yeah, that just struck me as lazy and money-focused decision-making ("You get a Stormbird. YOU get a Stormbird! EVERYONE GETS A STORMBIRD!"). As much as I'd like to see the Wolves have access to some bigger toys, the fact is that fielding all the Forge World super-heavies goes against their "lean and mean" approach to war. And it basically defeats the purpose of plotting out a different set of armor and equipment profiles for each army in the low to midrange when you just open up the floodgates at the high end. I personally don't think the words "Space Wolves" and "Super Heavies" even belong in the same sentence unless it's something like "The Space Wolves swarmed the opponents' Super Heavies."

Yeah, that just struck me as lazy and money-focused decision-making ("You get a Stormbird. YOU get a Stormbird! EVERYONE GETS A STORMBIRD!"). As much as I'd like to see the Wolves have access to some bigger toys, the fact is that fielding all the Forge World super-heavies goes against their "lean and mean" approach to war. And it basically defeats the purpose of plotting out a different set of armor and equipment profiles for each army in the low to midrange when you just open up the floodgates at the high end. I personally don't think the words "Space Wolves" and "Super Heavies" even belong in the same sentence unless it's something like "The Space Wolves swarmed the opponents' Super Heavies."

Mastadon is a super heavy isn't it?

Mastadon is a super heavy isn't it?
It would be. In game it is a Lord of War.

Can our wolf guard in say a blood claw pack use catapractii armor?, or is he limited to standard tda?

As far as I've seen limited to Indomitus TDA. Which makes me a sad Wolf.

I believe differently. I think of the Wolves as adaptive and as much aa feral ferocity. We can swarm you. Or we can outsmart you. And as a first founding Chapter there should be no reason why we don't have thar atjff lying around, even if it is not our standard MO. For when the need arises. The Great Wolf would not just send Blood Claws to swarm a Super Heavy detachment but he would use maybe the Ironwolves to rout them with superior firepower when necessary.

I believe differently. I think of the Wolves as adaptive and as much aa feral ferocity. We can swarm you. Or we can outsmart you. And as a first founding Chapter there should be no reason why we don't have thar atjff lying around, even if it is not our standard MO. For when the need arises. The Great Wolf would not just send Blood Claws to swarm a Super Heavy detachment but he would use maybe the Ironwolves to rout them with superior firepower when necessary.

Whereas I was thinking that part of the motivation for killing off ol' Egil in the fluff was to remove the one Wolf Lord who was most into the non-wolfy heavy armored stuff.

I mean, I know the Wolves do have some heavier toys but even with the new Codex, they still can't figure out how to pilot a Stormraven so Bjorn and Murderfang can take a load off. And at the end of the day, most of them won't even wear a helmet in a war zone. I don't want to say the average Space Wolf is technologically challenged, but whatever those Iron Priests are getting paid to keep those toys running it ain't enough.

Can we not do the 'no true scottswolf' thing. I find the reasoning for wanting to limit peoples heavy war machines pretty abitrary - the Space Wolves aren't techshunners.

I agree. It also veers conversation back into the "Too Much Wolf" side of things. Space Wolves are a founding Legion that has zero qualms with using whatever tools are handy to execute the Emperor's enemies. That's all that should be said on the canonicity of units available to us.

Archived