Codex Next Week

lonewolf81

Due to the changes they made to turn one deep strike, don't we have to wait until turn two to use OBEL, or does the rule for OBEL have a way around that change?

As dar as I know it does not bypass the Beta Rules, so you have to wait for turn 2 for OBEL being really OBEL.

OBEL is like it was in the index, wolf scouts costs the same as in the index, but storm is melta bomb cheaper than index vanilla. Saddly scout bikes are 1pts. more than the tempest hammer

OBEL is like it was in the index, wolf scouts costs the same as in the index, but storm is melta bomb cheaper than index vanilla. Saddly scout bikes are 1pts. more than the tempest hammer

Storm was reduced for Codex SM, so it might be the same, and the bikes for your quoted price are indeed 8 points higher than regular SM Scout Bikes

What's OBEL lol?

Operating Behind Enemy Lines (OBEL), now just called Behind Enemy Lines. The deep strike rule that Wolf Scouts have, that allows them to start off the board, and come in 6" from a board edge and 9" away from enemies.

Thanks mate! I like the modelling opportunities of the scouts in a storm!

How does it work in gameplay terms if I always want them in it? Will they only be forced out when the storm is destroyed?

If the Storm is open-topped, which if I recall correctly, it is, toss five Sniper Rifle Wolf Scouts in there and harass all day, every day.

How does it work in gameplay terms if I always want them in it? Will they only be forced out when the storm is destroyed?

Sure. You can choose to not disembark them and then they are there until it is destroyed.

If the Storm is open-topped, which if I recall correctly, it is, toss five Sniper Rifle Wolf Scouts in there and harass all day, every day.

Interesting option. A mobile sniper platform. With Keen senses you can evennignore the penalties for moving.

So what do we think about Grey Hunter Packs with WGPL for holding objectives? A pack of 5 with a WGPL wouldn't be too expensive and with a SS on the WGPL would be pretty resilient.

With the HI rule having some characters in the backfield like Bjorn, Murderfang (wulfen dread, blizz dread?) could definitely aid in holding down key objective along side GH Packs

So what do we think about Grey Hunter Packs with WGPL for holding objectives? A pack of 5 with a WGPL wouldn't be too expensive and with a SS on the WGPL would be pretty resilient.

With the HI rule having some characters in the backfield like Bjorn, Murderfang (wulfen dread, blizz dread?) could definitely aid in holding down key objective along side GH Packs

I do that with a TDA pack leader with a SS. Works really nice and generally they live since you can force target priority away from them.

I give at least one of those a meltagun too to have the option for a small harasser outflank in the back pocket. It really messes with their deployment knowing it can come in and threaten backfield stuff.

A few questions on the codex:

1 - Any change to Stormfang to make it better vis-a-vis the Stormwolf (right now it Carrie's less, cost more with the same loadout, and barely has a better main gun)?

2 - Can you confirm what the Helm of Durfast relic does?

3 - Do Wolf Scouts gain anything new in terms of special rules, wargear options, stat bluffs, or point reductions?

Did the WGBL JP go up?

Oh yea big time, up by 15pts.

Scouts got nothing new I can see.

Durfast rerolls ranges attacks and negates cover. I can’t think of a use for this now that psy powers don’t roll to hit.

For the stormfang it went down 50 points since the helfrost is free. Can’t see any other changes there

Do SW get all the "normal" astartes Stratagems?

-Linebreaker Bombardment

-Killshot

-Orbital Bombardment

-Cluster Mines

-Hellfire Shells

-Flakk Missile

-Wisdom of the Ancients

-Datalink Telemetry

-Armour of Contempt

-Honour the Chapter

-Only in Death does Duty End

Double no. The pack leader thing would have been sweet.

It would have added so much flavour for me. I would have probably gotten a box of each at least to add a bit of spice to each pack. (A pack to hold an objective get Cataphractii, Hunter Packs go with Tartaros).

A simple question in regards to the new datasheets. Aside form the addition of OBEL to the Storm and Scout Bikes, are there any differences in our transplanted datasheets from other Codices? So Bikes get any interesting equipment? Cataphractii can get WG gear?

And just to confirm, Wulfen dread get no extra rules aside from Murderlust?

I want some flavour from the potential new models...

Only strat I see missing is cluster mines. I’m definately looking forward to wearing out armor of contempt on those dreads though dayum...

I’ve been looking for differences Redbeard and other than what you mention I can’t see anything obviosly different. Swiftclaws still have headstrong and berserk with a WG leader able to take our melee weapons.

The heresy terminator armors are locked down tight, nothing different. Though a cataphractii lord has access to the whole shebang. Primaris lords are the same as the normal codex.

Edit: as for the great company fluff, it is indeed addressed. I’m not all the way through but the grand annulus page calls it out at least.

Brothers and Sisters. I got my hands on a copy of the codex a few days early.

Would you like to know anything from it or experience looking through it yourselves?

For Example.

Bjorn - Was 210 points ( 14 power ) but is now 180 points ( 12 power ).

Blizzard shield - 4+ inv now

Archived