Ferrum Aeternum - A brief return - with Paint!

Thank you very much to Hushrong, Isengrin and Marshal Rohr. Really glad both the Pred and the Dread are getting some love from the public.

Still no parts turning up for the Thanatardemptor but I got a little excited about the Predator and instead of doing the smart thing and filling, filing and cleaning all the printed parts, I put most of it together and stated sticks bits of plastic to it:

gallery_115548_14900_355077.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_257203.jpg

Nothing special yet. Spaced out the turret with a 32mm base as the wires were fouling on the hull. Changed out the hull-mounted heavy bolter for a storm bolter (so its at least a bit more wysiwyg) and added yet another sensor array. Because.

For any that didn't read the posts previously, this is an 80%-scale print of a Sicaran. I down-scaled it to use as a base chasis for my tanks coz I'm VERY bored of Rhinos after 20+ years playing Marines. I did the measurments before getting it printed and while it is technically bigger than a Rhino in length and height, the lack of 'box' shape makes it look actually smaller. Especially as I'm going truescale. Here it is next to a Tactical Marine:

gallery_115548_14900_10528.jpg

What do you all think? Sometime I look at it and go "damn, I made a mini-tank" and other times I'm ok with how its come out. But I'm still very on the fence about ti. Once the sponsons are on and some more detailing is done I'll have a better idea. If this is a goer then I'll get some more printed up to use as other tanks like Vindicators and Whirlwinds. Really would like to know what you all think of the scale, be honest please, if it looks tiddly then say. I wanna get this right. I can do another print at 90%-scale and probably keep the turret from this one. So its no huge loss.

C&C really welcome on this one

PHM

Dang that’s sweet! As usual I look at pictures first and then read. I would not have guessed that the sicaran was a print and made a wee bit smaller. Which is crazy because for the longest time I used one in my army. It looks great, I dig it, and I definitely understand why you wouldn’t want to use a rhino after all those years.

As for scale it works. I could imagine one or even two marines (primaris/truescaled) in there with some gun servitors

Thanks Hush.

My idea for it is that its some kinda of archeotech or Medusan-pattern main line tank. Its crewed by a single techmarine with a lot of the systems taken over by the machine spirit or slaved to servitors, hence the skull wired into the turret.

Do you use a heat gun to bend the plasticard, or a hairdryer?

No plasticard mate. This is just a 3D print and GW parts. I'll prob be using a little plasticard for some detailing by the end of it but nothing major. Scratch-builds from plasticard has never been my forte.

Cheers Marius, good to see you back. I need more of your lovely Iron Warriors in my life.

Another update on the Predator today. A mate of mine sent me a bunch of tank bitz. since I haven't built a vehichle for any armies of mine for YEARS, I am sorely lacking in this area when it comes to parts. With this care-package I was able to get the Pred to a really good point:

gallery_115548_14900_1105629.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_505786.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_611957.jpg

With the sponsons on I can really see where this guy is going. I went with heavy bolters purely for an aestheic reason, I felt the lascannons would be too long. So happy with it. Like I said, I really have never liked building tanks and havne't for a very long time but this one has really captured my imagination and allowed me to go a bit nuts. I am soooo making some more tanks based of the %80 Sicaran print.

Anyway, more detailing to be done and of course the ever-needed patching and filling of gaps but its on the way. I'll put up final pics when I've detailed it up.

Cheers all

PHM

Really liking the energy weapon (conversion beamer?) on the Sicaran chassis, it fits nicely. I agree with your decision for heavy bolter sponsons, the chunky square cowling from the Predator gives a more substantial look than the more sparsely covered Sicaran sponsons.

Really liking the energy weapon (conversion beamer?) on the Sicaran chassis, it fits nicely. I agree with your decision for heavy bolter sponsons, the chunky square cowling from the Predator gives a more substantial look than the more sparsely covered Sicaran sponsons.

Yep, its a conversion beamer/c-beam cannon, coz Iron Hands. Funny you should say that about the sponsons coz I agonised for ages about the cowling or not. Almost didn't go for it but I'm glad I did in the end

So I realised the other day that I've just past the 1 year mark since getting back into the hobby and back into my beloved Iron Hands. As a treat for myself (and maybe for you guys) I decided to bring all the models out and do a full army shot as it stands thus far. Pardon the potatoe pics, it seem my phone's camera is succumbing to Nurgle's Rot.

gallery_115548_14900_704932.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_725883.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_266318.jpg

Not a huge model count. Its probably the slowest army I've ever built but also probably the one I've stuck to the longest and still feel like there's a lot more to add. Its been a great year back in the hobby. This is my 3rd go at an Iron Hands army but there have been a lot of firsts. This is my first time trying truescale for one. I'm glad I held off going this route until after the Primaris were released, I really don't think I'd have had the staying power to space out all those legs and torsos. This has also been my first go at using 3D printed parts and models. I'm super happy with the icons and badges from Shapeways and I'm so thrilled with my funky Predator that I'm already planning another one (and I've found something to use as a Land Raider, that's for later tho...). Once I finally bite the bullet and use my money to buy paints instead of new, shiny plastic it'll be my first go at Contrast paints too.

Thanks to all so far for the kind words and support.Its really helped me stick this out and not wander off into the Forest of Shinys when GW brings out something else that too pretty for words (I keep having to cover my eyes when anyhting to do with Necromunda comes out).

Here's to another Year of Iron! There's a lot more in my brain that needs to get out and hopefully by this time next year there'll be some paint on SOMETHING, but no promises.

Cheers all.

PHM

• 3 weeks later...

A few more weeks of silence here but I've got a bunch of new goodies to show off.

I've been waiting for some extra funds and then the purchases from said funds but most of it is here now and I've been giving my cutters a good work-out the last few nights. First up a a couple of Servitors to go alongside my Techmarines. I know that they are a totally stupid choice to chew up and Elite slot with but because I'm going Iron Hands and because the X-101 model from Blackstone Fortress was so nice I figured I should make a unit for s**ts and giggles:

gallery_115548_14900_292815.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_1539463.jpg

Was fun just playing around with these guys. I'm gonna be making the rest of the unit out of Kataphrons to fill out the heavy wepon slots (plasma cannons) but haven't managed to find any cheap ones yet. Now that I think about it, the Techmarines with the Servitors is ending up as a pretty hard-hitting unit: 3 power fists, 2 plasma cannons, a plasma pistol and a conversion beamer :wacko.: Death up close and from afar.

Now, since the X-101 models come with an awesome back-mounted funky gun (totally trademarking that name btw) and since I wasn't gonna be using them on the Servitors, I figured I should put them to good use. My Librarian has been seriously lacking in a side-arm since he was first built and I was always wanting to do a shoulder rig/servo arm type thing for him but nothing was working. That's changed. He's now armed and dangerous. I also went back and updated the Apothecary a little as I was never totally sold on him. Much happier with him now:

gallery_115548_14900_205766.jpg

The other funky gun is gonna be saved for a similar purpose on something else. Not sure what.

I'm not done yet though. Since the Predator went so well and seemed to get a lot of good feedback from here and other places I was always gonna try to make another. Well while I was sifting back through Thingiverse I remembered I had seen a design for a variant Sicaran Transporter. I was thinking this could be cool to make Rhinos out of but when I looked at it again my brain said "LAND RAIDER!" and I said "ok." I quickly contacted my mate that printed the Predator for me, the amazing Rob from The Vault of Moravec, and we got to schemeing. After much umming and ahhing we decided to go with a 100% scale print. I'm so glad we did because the scale is exactly right to the actual Land Raider model. Anyway, enough prattle, here's the lowly begginings:

gallery_115548_14900_793406.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_332172.jpg

Nothing much done to it conversion wise so far, just cut out the heavy bolter to mount a multi-melta instead. I'm actually very stuck at this point tho. Being a Sicaran base body there are really only two access points, the side doors, which would be the perfect place to mount the lascannon sponsons. But if I do that, how do the troops get in and out? I was seriously thinking about making up a rear hatch for it but then I've got nowhere for the exhausts and engine block... I was going to put the exhausts on the side like on a rhino but then the sponsons have to stick out reallt far from the hull... Yeah, problems. I can mount the sponsons just forward of the doors on the open bit of hull there and it looks pretty cool but I'm not sold. I'm also a bit lost as to where to put the heavy bolters and storm bolter. On top was the obvious spot but it looks a bit absurd with such a low-profile tank.

I'll do a few blu-tac mock-ups and post some pics. Any idea would be greatly appreciated tho.

By then way, I've gotta give props to the guys on Thingiverse who made these great designs. The Sicaran can be found here, and the Sicaran Transporter here. Cheers to those guys. Amazing work and you've really given me some unique and interesting tanks.

That's all for tonight but a package from Zinge turned up today with some flexi cables and ammo feeds so I can finish off the Predator. And the rest of my Thanatar FINALLY turned up (3 weeks round trip in the mail to get back to the guy that sent it :verymad: 1 day express post to me after he got it back :dry.: ) and so I can continue work on the Thanatardemptor Dread too. So much to convert...

Cheers,

PHM

• 2 weeks later...

Another few weeks and only a little bit of work accomplished I'm afraid. Even though I had an influx of bitz and models I sadly neglected to keep track of my glue stocks. Out of Glue error! I managed to get a little done with the last few drops but will now have to wait to order more and then receive said order :ermm:

What I did get done was to fit the flexi ammo belts from Zinge on to the Predator sponsons:

gallery_115548_14900_541574.jpg

I really feel like this model is complete (almost) now. Just need to add a clan symbol and the omnipresent Hand.

I also made a bit more headway on the Land Raider:

gallery_115548_14900_498892.jpg

After umming and ahhing for ages on what to do about the weapon/access/exhaust problem of how to fit all 3 on the model I've decided on a way forward. I'll be doing the sponsons on the side where the hatches originally were. I feel this is the right way to go and ties it back to the 'standard' Land Raider look. I'm going to have to design a hatch for the back of the Raider and get it printed. Something like the front off the actual Land Raider or the Storm Raven. While I'm getting that printed I'll also get the exhausts re-printed at 90% scale and fit them either side of the sponson mounts, like on the Rhino hull. The lascoannons will look like this to give the overall tank a bit more of a streamlined look to match the Sicaran style hull:

gallery_115548_14900_8190.jpg

And that's all I've got. Little else I can do for now till the glue rocks up. Hopefully not too long a wait but as soon as I can get back to sticking random bitz to other random bitz 'll be sure to post.

Cheers,

PHM

• 5 weeks later...

Man, it's like I'm going month-to-month at the moment with hobby updates.

While nothing has happened with the Land Raider, kinda lost the mojoon it for the moment, there has been work done to the Redemptor finally:

gallery_115548_14900_60522.jpg

BIIIIIIIIIIIIG!

It truely is a massive kit this. I love it. I was kinda afraid it would be hard to tell the Redemptor from my 'normal' dread but I'm not thinking that's gonna be an issue any more.

Lots to do still but I'm hoping to have some more time this week to at least get an arm on him to really see the pose. In case anyone was wondering btw, the rocket pod on the back is counts-as an Icarus.

Cheers,

PHM

Excellent conversions, so many great ideas! I really love the first guy you posted with the mechanical leg that was really neat! Can't wait to see more stuff. Really liked what you did to the tanks! The conversions with the AMbots is really really cool. I just ordered those but I was gonna convert it into something for my inquisitor but then again I might do the Necromunda thing not sure yet.

Edited by Kolgrim DeathHowl

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Kolgrim. The first guy in this thread ended up being a Librarian. There's an update of him a a few posts back.

I just never seem to get to hobby when I think I will and then I resign myself to being hobby-less for a while and some time frees up. This happened last night. Suddenly the kids were asleep, the wife was elswhere engaged and I had no current TV shows on my list: Hobby Time.

Got some major work done on the Redemptor. He's got arms, he's upwardly mobile and a bit of detailing is even done:

gallery_115548_14900_104146.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_180958.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_543544.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_138549.jpg

Added a few extra armour plates around the chest and a 3rd layer to the shoulders. I want to add a bit more round the legs too. The aim is for him to be a big robot, not just a re-armed Thanatar, but a distinct variant. Following on from what I did for the Hurricane Bolters on my Leviathan/Ironclad I've gone with twin Heavy Bolters instead of the twin Storm Bolters. I've mounted these on the right arm. I originally had Storm Bolters there but the arm is so stubby that I needed the length of the Heavy Bolters to really make it look right and emphasise the movement of the model.

So now I have 3 of my Robo-Primaris units up and happening. Still need at least 3 more Thallaxii to round out the Intercessor squad but I think once I get a few more units in there and convert up a Feirros to lead them I'll have a pretty thematic force. Here's the big guy next to his little robo-bros:

gallery_115548_14900_53755.jpg

In other news, there is still no new work on the Land Raider. Still not happy with how its looking. I'm thiking now I'm going to go with a Crusader kit-out instead of the standard but I need to source some Hurricane Bolters off the Stormraven to make that happen. Once I get some love back for the big beasty you'll see some updates.

C&C always welcome and hopefully more from me soon.

PHM

Thanks Phatsquirre1, really chuffed to hear you say that. I was really not sold on him for ages and then something just clicked and I think he really works now.

Still a good deal of work to do. A lot of the leg pistons aren't attached yet, still needs an ammo hopper and belt feeds for the heavy bolters and the flamer needs a bit of cabeling to somewhere. I also want to do a bit more up-armouring and possibly some dangly bits of chain mail.

• 1 month later...

As the year and indeed the decade draws out its final hours I thought I'd make an attempt at an update. Its been well over a month since I really got any work done. End of year rush at work and then Christmas and such equals little time to play with War Dollies. I'm also waiting on a heap of stuff to turn up from Shapeways, Tiny Worlds, purchases on BuySwapSell, bitz from friends and a few more 3D prints. All of which have been delayed thanks to the festive season shut downs and general slowness.

That said, I did get one last batch of bitz from a mate before AusPost ground to a halt; the Hurricane Bolters for my Land Raider turned up and I am so much happier with them than I was with my attempt at Lascannons. I also managed to snaffle the Multi Melta from the old 2nd Ed Landspeeder which has always held a special place in my heart. I just think the design of that melta was the best GW has ever managed to do, chunky yet streamlined. WAY better than the current pintle-mount version on the Speeders. Anyway, on to pics:

gallery_115548_14900_399377.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_239132.jpg

gallery_115548_14900_224415.jpg

Much happier with the profile and overall shape of the Raider now. I'm waiting on some frag launchers to come from a mate to finish it off and then there's some more detailing and those huge holes around the sponsons need to be plugged with GS. Also, before anyone points it out, yes I know it should have assault cannons instead of heavy bolters but I like the look of the bolters better. And yes I know I no longer have any assault ramps or hatches for troops to get on or off... I don't care, heh. Rule-of-Cool said I couldn't make the hatches work so just don't have them. Hell, its an archeotech tank, the troops can teleport in and out, yeah, that'll do it.

So thats the only work I've managed to do for like 6 weeks. I've got some models and bitz incoming to allow me to make up the rest of the servitors for my techmarine, bulk out the Intercessor-bot squad to a legal size (inc. a funky idea for the 'sarge'), finish off detailing the Redemptor-bot, make a second full tactical squad and convert up a rather large take on Feirros. Much funness to come in the new year.

Till then, happy, safe holidays to all, cheers for the support this year and here's to another year of more machines than men.

PHM

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, this is proving to be a bigger project than I expected. Lots of time just staring at the model or holding parts in place to see what works. Its getting there and more on that later but first I want to show off a few little things.

The Redemptor has seen a little love thanks to some old earrings my wife was gonna throw out. I snagged them and made the big bot a skirt:

gallery_115548_14900_36344.jpg

There's also ammo hoppers on the right arm and fule line on the left. Still figuring out how to make the feeds to the bolter hoppers look good.

Also did a little upgrade to the Terminator squad:

gallery_115548_14900_310217.jpg

I'd had the plasmacannon since the beginning but didn't put it on coz I was still kinda tied to the idea of making the army Codex-legal. Since that's flown out the window and I seem to have a strange want to only have plasma and bolter weaponry in my army (seriously), I've busted off the heavy flamer and replaced it. Happier now I think.

And lastly, the update at least 2 of you have been waiting for: Feirros

gallery_115548_14900_451899.jpg

Finished! Done! Dusted! Get him on the table!... Nah. Sooooo much left to do but I can see where he's going now. I was really wanting to break the pre-set Abaddon pose but the model has just worked out this way. Like I said, LOTS of time just staring and holding the axe in different spots. This feels right. Undecided on what his right hand will be (suggestions anyone???) but I'm thinking a power fist feels right; again falling into the Abaddon pose. We shall see.

Hopefully more to come very soon. I've got a little start on the next tactical squad and techmarine but nothing worth showing off yet.

Cheers

PHM