AT Chat, Lists, and Conversions For All Stompy Robot Lovers

Fajita Fan

This has been a great weekend for AT! :woot:

I didn't see the Doom of Molech coming - I mean we just got Titandeath! And the new scenery is just amazing! And the paired gatling blasters will soon become my favourite carapace weapon system! 

Now, to buy the GM edition or not? that's the question... For someone who has the rulebook already, is it still a good deal? 

Legio Crucius... hmm... :yes:

Just for the two Warlords, 6 Questoris, terrain and accessories I'd say it's worth it. Then again, I didn't pay for mine so YMMV.

And I'm actually very interested to see what they do with Legio Vulcanum I/II.

Edited by DuskRaider

Fureans only new legio to get transfers?

Yeah, or at least that's the only transfer sheet they showed.

Thinking on it, I've been assuming Astorum and Atarus should be quick for them, as they had 28mm transfer sheets. I wonder if adding a Knight House to those has slowed them down a little? Perdaxia just uses Fureans heraldry, and they even addressed this in the Feb WD article. But Col'Khak or 30k Terryn icon design might take a little time, even for a relatively simple variety?

Now, to buy the GM edition or not? that's the question... For someone who has the rulebook already, is it still a good deal? 

Yeah, I'd still recommend it for value, as DuskRaider mentions above. I picked up two GM sets and have been demoing the game a bit, and it's actually been pretty helpful to have a second set of dice, stratagem cards, plasma markers, & arc templates for that purpose. Even a second rulebook has been handy. We usually have both copies on either side of the table opened to the weaponry rules, but it helps when two people are looking up a rule too :P

Edited by LetsYouDown

I bought the rules set after the GME to get more cards, terminals, templates etc. Now that resin weapons for warlords are on the way I think it actually looks like a better deal than ever, as you'll finally have some options for what to equip the two Warlords in the box with.

I'm still unsure if it's really a better deal than the rules set and the battlegroup box. You do get quite a lot of terrain in there though, and that's really the thing that makes it good value. There are other, cheaper sources of terrain though.

I bought the rules set after the GME to get more cards, terminals, templates etc. Now that resin weapons for warlords are on the way I think it actually looks like a better deal than ever, as you'll finally have some options for what to equip the two Warlords in the box with.

I'm still unsure if it's really a better deal than the rules set and the battlegroup box. You do get quite a lot of terrain in there though, and that's really the thing that makes it good value. There are other, cheaper sources of terrain though.

yeah, and the sprue with battlefield assets, objective, command terminal markers, and firing arcs is available separately now as well.

basically, I feel like this reprint of the GME is only really of good value to new players, and even then, the contents are a bit weak...

I hope there's a better "starter set" in the future; a wider variety of Titans(and their weapons) and knights to help show the game's potential, I hated Titanicus's launch for how limited it's options where, how GW though taking something like 3 months to get the 3 basic core Titan classes released was a good idea is beyond my comprehension, let alone the additional weapon options(though those at least a player could proxy/counts-as pretty easily once they had the actual titan, so that's a bit more understandable).

EDIT: my idea for a better starter box for Titanicus; have it contain 2 Reavers(maybe one of each type of kit?) and 4 Warhounds; this way a solo buyer gets enough Titans to make a full Venerator Maniple, with the option of playing it as a Janissary Maniple if they have Titandeath, and two players splitting the box have the minimal components for both those Maniples sense they have the same mandatory Titans(thus allowing both symmetric and asymmetric battles with just the box's contents).

Edited by RipOffProductions

They could make the GME a lot more tempting by. The swapping out one of the Warlord Weapon Sprues for the Plasma one, and swapping a sprue of Questoris for some Cerastus.

That'd keep the forces pretty balanced if split but be a really tempting buy for people building up their forces too.

Rik

First batch of pics posted on Recalcitrant Daze blog https://recalcitrantdaze.blogspot.com/2019/02/horus-heresy-weekender-2019-horus.html

Including a better shot of the spires sprue

20190202_113415.jpg

and several pics of the FW board (one example here after, more pics on Recalcitrant Daze blog)

P1360093.JPG

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous

Astorum lupercal maniples look insanely good, you could bring like 9 warhounds at a 2k game and move/shoot with just two activations

Ps: allright laurelguinius is even worse, first Valdor now this

Edited by noigrim

Astorum lupercal maniples look insanely good, you could bring like 9 warhounds at a 2k game and move/shoot with just two activations

You also end up pushing their reactors and could get to a point where you can't push reactors for shields. Like, either you get the lethal alpha strike and win  OR your attack bounces off and you get trounced.

You also end up pushing their reactors and could get to a point where you can't push reactors for shields. Like, either you get the lethal alpha strike and win  OR your attack bounces off and you get trounced.

Yeah to be honest I'm not seeing any particular synergy with Astorum and Warhounds. They aren't bad, because the Astorum traits are generally great, but I don't think Warhounds are the best titans to use those traits and I definitely think other Legios can use warhounds better.

The weakness of warhounds is their reactor. Astorum Princespses like to push their reactors hard, and that's dangerous to do in a warhound. Push it hard for that extra move and you run a very serious risk of dropping your shields before the shooting even starts, and just for an extra 2" of movement when you can already go 12". I just don't think it's worth it. There's also the added chance of your titan going nuts and doing something weird, like decide to fire a gun that's way out of range or fix damage that hasn't happened yet, instead of moving.

The repair reroll is nice of course, but the trouble there is if your opponent gets to focus down a warhouind in a turn. You aren't all that likely to get multiple repair phases anyway, and even then you're only rolling 2 dice. 

On the other hand 2" extra move is a big deal for a warlord, and the extra heat isn't - especially with those two rerolls to servitor clades and really strong command value. So for me the Astorum traits are all about big heavy titans that can get to where they need to be and take a ton of punishment - not about sprinting warhounds.

The stand out Legios for me for Warhounds are probably Mortis, for their extra move stratagem and Fureans for their ability to fire a gun twice (priceless if in the right position). Tempestus might be good for the extra shot when you die - which warhounds do a lot! And I know Solaria are meant to have great warhounds too, but I'm not too sold on them. Vulpa hounds with disruption emitters could be hilarious but I'd need to see that in play. 

Warhounds can actually use Mortis' otherwise useless weapon upgrade too on their Vulcan Mega Bolters.

The otherwise useless weapon upgrade is great for Warlords (or anything else) with lots of draining weapons. Obvious candidates are quad-las warhounds for shieldbane and a warlord with dual belicosa and laser blasters. The latter is an armament that I'd never normally recommend because it'd be so likely to cook itself, but with the upgrade I think it would be kind of a beast.

To be honest pre-titandeath I'd never recommend dual-belicosa for anyone. They just blow themselves up! But Mortis and Astorum can manage it in reasonable safety. It becomes a pretty lethal combo, able to blow big holes in things with the volcano cannons and then target the holes with laser blasters - albeit without much accuracy unless the target is nearby!

For my Astorum I still think I'd run volcano, quake and missiles on a long-range support warlord. It's so much cheaper and means I don't have to go anywhere near the enemy. But for Mortis, with the free stratagem move, it could work.

First batch of pics posted on Recalcitrant Daze blog https://recalcitrantdaze.blogspot.com/2019/02/horus-heresy-weekender-2019-horus.html

Including a better shot of the spires sprue

20190202_113415.jpg

and several pics of the FW board (one example here after, more pics on Recalcitrant Daze blog)

P1360093.JPG

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous

Yeah, loving the scenery. Those boards look amazing, but not something I could ever see myself buying. But will definitely grab at least the small box of spires.

Also, Castellan Knight + Spires + feet made from the square buildings (as per that amazing conversion) = Imperator?

Warhounds can actually use Mortis' otherwise useless weapon upgrade too on their Vulcan Mega Bolters.

The otherwise useless weapon upgrade is great for Warlords (or anything else) with lots of draining weapons. Obvious candidates are quad-las warhounds for shieldbane and a warlord with dual belicosa and laser blasters. The latter is an armament that I'd never normally recommend because it'd be so likely to cook itself, but with the upgrade I think it would be kind of a beast.

To be honest pre-titandeath I'd never recommend dual-belicosa for anyone. They just blow themselves up! But Mortis and Astorum can manage it in reasonable safety. It becomes a pretty lethal combo, able to blow big holes in things with the volcano cannons and then target the holes with laser blasters - albeit without much accuracy unless the target is nearby!

For my Astorum I still think I'd run volcano, quake and missiles on a long-range support warlord. It's so much cheaper and means I don't have to go anywhere near the enemy. But for Mortis, with the free stratagem move, it could work.

Uhhh... Their otherwise useless weapon is only for Bolter and Missile Launchers and only gives them +1 Strength.

Uhhh... Their otherwise useless weapon is only for Bolter and Missile Launchers and only gives them +1 Strength.

Nope. That's only half the rule.

You pointlessly raise the strength of your missiles and bolters for your first shot - which will at enemy shields where strength does nothing. But you also ignore the effects of the draining trait. So you can cover your titans in shieldbane lasers, use them to knock shields down on turn 1 and then to damage things thereafter.

To be honest I'm still not sure it's worth the cost. Maybe for a Warlord.

Edited by Mandragola

Yeah it's actually completely clear - far more so than most of the rules in AT! "The first time a titan wiht this upgrade fires, it adds 1 to the strength of any of its bolter or missile weapons, and may ignore the effects of the draining trait".

This does mean you might not want to use first fire orders for your titan in turn 1, or you'd waste the effects on a single shot.  But you can have your warlord or reaver blast away with a full complement of lasers with no effect on its reactor. I guess it could be worth doing.

Yeah, loving the scenery. Those boards look amazing, but not something I could ever see myself buying. But will definitely grab at least the small box of spires.

Also, Castellan Knight + Spires + feet made from the square buildings (as per that amazing conversion) = Imperator?

Loving the scenery as well. I have the feeling I'll buy a few boxes.

Definitely something to consider. Maybe to make a model for the Paragon of Terra (seems fitting with Molech coming next). Or just for the conversion challenge.

For those who haven't seen yet: https://www.instagram.com/greyseer/

sadly not, there were comments made that if an Imperator Titan was going to be made for AT it would be as tall as the 40K/30K Reaver(though I suspect that they were counting the cathedral as part of that), and that that was why it was unlikely to happen anytime soon.

So that's the size you'll need to aim for if you want to futureproof your Imperator against the possible official one down the line.

I figured it would be the size of a 28mm Warhound at most. Reaver sounds a bit far fetched.

To be honest, the Imperator design has not aged well. It looks incredibly goofy, I'm hoping they update it of they do decide to make one.

Edited by DuskRaider

I figured it would be the size of a 28mm Warhound at most. Reaver sounds a bit far fetched.

To be honest, the Imperator design has not aged well. It looks incredibly goofy, I'm hoping they update it of they do decide to make one.

there is some fairly modern art for Imperator Titans:

The-Burden-of-Loyalty.jpg?fit=1200%2C800

http://pro.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/TitanicusHH-Aug7-Titandeath4uc.jpg

EDIT: also, as I said, I think that "28mm scale Reaver sized" statement was including the cathedral, which is like 40% of the thing's Hight.

Edited by RipOffProductions