In Service of the Death Lord - DuskRaider's AT Project

DuskRaider

Thank you, brother. I'm having fun cranking these out, crazy to think I only have one left (besides the bases). I'd say if you're interested in Mortis take the plunge. The great thing about Titanicus is you don't have to fully commit to one Legio since the game doesn't require many models to play. In all reality it's a small skirmish game but since it's wears the guise of titanic scale we don't really notice. 

Concerning color, I have a little fluff on that... obviously not official. 

When the Legio was founded pre-Martian Unification, it was all black. Some engines sported white cockpits or "heads" as a symbol of death. Post Mars Unification, red was adopted and most utilized it to an extent. After the Mons Olympus Treaty unifying Terra and Mars, white was also adopted to symbolize the peace between the two and the unification of the Imperium of Man. This was not accepted by most of the Legio, particularly those originating from Mars where the "subjugation" of Mars to the Emperor was generally seen with disdain. Some were coerced into using it to show their "commitment" to the unity while a number hailing from Retlaxi were more willing to clad their engines to an extent. 

Some of the older engines are still clad in black, see Exialtis Vigilate. Other than a single red thigh plate, the Warhound is predominantly black. Others, like Spoliari Gloria, changed their scheme over time despite being quite old by the time of the Heresy. 

They're coming along slowly. I had a busy weekend unfortunately, so I didn't make as much progress as I'd hoped to. It didn't help my brand new $50 God Hand Nippers snapped on me... what a waste of money.

In the meantime I did start on the objective markers and whatnot on the accessory sprue. I was dumb enough to snip it all off the sprue too, so the little pegs are going to be a joy to paint :/

In the meantime I did start on the objective markers and whatnot on the accessory sprue. I was dumb enough to snip it all off the sprue too, so the little pegs are going to be a joy to paint :/

Yeah.. did the same thing... I thought about glueing them back on a piece of sprue to paint them. Otherwise I cannot imagine how to do it properly.

Have you thought about building Titan wrecks out of spare parts from the sprues? Could be a cool way to show dead Titans and making some scenery

A lot of messy paint fingers is what's going to happen, lol.

I thought of doing something for my nuked Titans but it's not really a priority at this time. I've got the other two AT Realm of Battle tiles arriving tomorrow and I have yet to assemble any more buildings. Between the buildings and figuring out how to paint these damn tiles I have my hands full.

A lot of messy paint fingers is what's going to happen, lol.

I thought of doing something for my nuked Titans but it's not really a priority at this time. I've got the other two AT Realm of Battle tiles arriving tomorrow and I have yet to assemble any more buildings. Between the buildings and figuring out how to paint these damn tiles I have my hands full.

Yeah, I'll try to glue the end of the pegs to some sprues with super glue and then paint them. That way the should be easy to break off after painting.

I'm envious of your Tiles. I'm very much tempted to buy them but with no other players it is hard to justify... I might sell my Zone mortalis to make some space for the new tiles and free up some cash.. 

Yeah, I'm still battling with my buddies to get the lead out (or buy in). So far two have... actually, one of them got ME into Titanicus and afterwards he's been dragging his feet with any real progress. My son wants to start as well so that may be my next move (and I'm sure I'll be painting Gryphonnicus...).

Another wonderful war engine!

Yeah.. did the same thing... I thought about glueing them back on a piece of sprue to paint them. Otherwise I cannot imagine how to do it properly.

I did the same, double face tape can help (or even the normal one if fixed at a couple of points). At the very least for spraying. It works well for the tokens.

Thanks everyone, feedback is appreciated and most welcome.

As far as the pegs and whatnot, I went and derped myself by spraying them and THEN removing them, knowing full well that they would be a pain to paint loose. Ugh...

As far as the tiles go, I have no clue how I'm going to approach them. I don't have an airbrush nor have I ever felt compelled to use one. I'll probably pick up some dark grey spray paint or something and use a large brush to hit each individual slab. The tricky part is going to be making it look convincing for the scale. There's a LOT of detail and I have a feeling this will turn into a long term project.

As far as the tiles go, I have no clue how I'm going to approach them. I don't have an airbrush nor have I ever felt compelled to use one. I'll probably pick up some dark grey spray paint or something and use a large brush to hit each individual slab. The tricky part is going to be making it look convincing for the scale. There's a LOT of detail and I have a feeling this will turn into a long term project.

I would not be afraid to use more than one spray color, hit up the whole thing with dark grey then hit different parts with other sprays using masking tape where needed to cover the different sections. then I would hit the whole table with a single wash, and then work on fine details. 

Yeah,I may. I want to get the nice fade on the concrete tiles that you would naturally see. This may be a good time for me to look into alternates to GW washes due to the sheer size of each tile... I won't lie, this is a bit intimidating.

Yeah, Its a shame GW has stopped the citadel scenery paint set boxs as they were realy good for this type of large project.

Thanks, Chaeron! Pale Horse just had to have some white here and there to live up to the name, lol.

Well, a bit of an update...

I've officially finished all of the accessories. Pegs, Strategem Bunkers, Arc Templates, Objective Markers... the whole nine yards. My right thumb and trigger finger match them too, lol. Never again will I do these off the frame.

The last two Cerastus Lancers are built and the bases for the Titans are ready for primer. Unfortunately, it's been so damn cold here the past week or so (highest temp of 25) that I'm stuck just looking at them for now.

The other two Realm of Battle tiles arrived Tuesday morning and now I'll start to focus on assembling buildings. I've got lost of the GME buildings unassembled as well as 4 Civitas Imperialis boxes sitting unopened for this, hopefully that will be enough (keeping in mind that the Spires will be released some day).

I'll get pics of the markers and whatnot later today but for now I'm just happy to know I've got just about everything finished.

Edited by DuskRaider

The smaller boxes, $30 ones. I've just been picking them up here and there.

The buildings I'm definitely assembling before priming. It just makes it easier. I may buck the trend and prime them black or dark grey if I can find a suitable rattle can for them and the tiles.

Edited by DuskRaider

Here we are, as promised...

It's certainly not easy photographing tokens, even in a lightbox. I enjoyed painting the Opus Titanicus, Objective Marker and Strategem Bunkers. The Bunkers in particular gave me the chance to experiment a bit for the scheme of my buildings and I think I've nailed it.

The Objective Marker was interesting... there isn't much you can do to make it Legio specific, so I had to choose a color that would be more recognizable as Mortis. Red and white were basically out the window as it could be mistaken for Atarus or whatever, so I settled on black. It's also the one color I didn't use on the Mars Pattern heads, so this completes the colors, I suppose.

Originally I was just going to do the Opus Titanicus in aged bronze or copper, but after giving it some thought I decided to use the classic Mechanicum coloration.... although it seems I've mixed the sides up, but no matter. After doing those I figured it would be cool to finish it out using the remainder of the Mortis colors, hence the red background and gold Titanicus icon.

Everything else is pretty self-explanatory. I hate those damn pegs.

SAaWXtz.jpg

V0NVV9i.jpg

Zo3J3hl.jpg

sGlcnOa.jpg

IXaip3q.jpg

I think these are one of the most neglected parts of the hobby. I've not really seen anyone else paint these and even GW themselves only bothered with the Bunkers, funny enough (just look on their site). As for the templates, I was lucky enough to grab the Limited Edition of 5th (I think) and it actually came with Mechanicum themed templates so those are what I'll be using in games.

Thanks guys! It was actually kind of fun to do them, oddly enough.

I'm hoping to hit my bases and last two Lancers with primer tomorrow. The weather is getting warmer so as long as the wind cooperates I'm itching to get these finished and move on to the buildings and tiles.

And if I never see gold trim again it will be too soon :D

Oh boy howdy, here we go!

I finished the bases yesterday but just never got around to taking the final pictures. Today I've triumphed and here is the result.

The first pictures are of Vow #2 complete and the last is every model completed thus far (and only missing the last two Lancers which I'm almost done with). As you can see, they barely fit in my lightbox but I managed...

This has been a hell of a journey. From this point on, it will mainly just be tiles and terrain but if GW or FW releases anything interesting you can bet you'll see more models here.

So until then...

For the Warmaster, the Death Lord and Mars... MORTIS WALKS.

r3yaguq.jpg

uHvD6gj.jpg

fmlv0uF.jpg

0gPfHxn.jpg

BAGV0AV.jpg

TfydWfa.jpg

P50tq6I.jpg

KGLTqHL.jpg