I am also tempted by a Slaaneshi Black Legion Warband and go full Hellraiser :devil: - I actually really like this idea with the body horror mutations and stuff. Quick someone help me find a pinhead head for my lord!

Genestealer cult have some nice stern lookin heads, Im using one for a Necromunda conversion of Sir Doug myself. Just needs a little greenstuff and the grid cutting in.

I'm still not sure what or should I say who I want to collect. I love the renegade strats and I've always had a soft spot for the red corsairs.i can't help but think the red corsair stray with the butchers nails thrown in would be awesome. Also the new abby model could make a cool Huron conversion hmm.

On the other hand I've had plans to build a SoH warband hell bent on destroying abbaddon and the traitors that helped kill the unholy miracle that was horus reborn.

However a name keeps surfacing in my head that I can't help but add to every time it does.

The wolves of horus.

But I do have loads of night lord upgrade parts that are going to waste.

Now that everything is in the wild post-reveals: 

I am very happy that I own 25 raptors. That will be an army theme I will roll with frequently in the future as I think now we can do jump-packer tricks as well as the blood angels in some repsects using Host Raptorial. That warlord trait alone is worth the CP investment....comboed with the new Black Legion trait so that you have 3 Warlord traits on the table (just make sure Abbadon, a Prince, or a Chaos Lord is your Warlord) and you have that trait on easy access when needed. 

The Havocs are gonna be a thing in my lists as well. I want to be able to touch on Khorne/Slannesh/Nurgle on demand with my Black Legion. My Thousand Sons are my Tzeentch/engines list so I don't intend on using engines other then Venomcrawler in my black legion. 

The totally insane combo potential of chaos marines is showing now. Bigger squads of 20 man each is on the cards for black legion. I can easily see 60-80 marines being standard in many lists with abbadon or Bringers of Despair CP drop towing the line to negate morale issues. Merciless killers (1 cp +1 attack strat) makes large units of chaos marines into truly bullies putting a basic chaos marine with CCW at 3 swings in melee. Drop an apostle and you have stupid combo potential for those blobs that really abuse the 20 man cap. 

20 man possessed squads may easily end up being a thing that may actually function well even in competitive settings if done correctly as you can make a unit nigh-unkillable with very solid melee potential. (I may be overstating this as the entire module is around 700 points realistically not including CP investment, but dang will that be fun to ram down an opponents throat) 

I think a Flawless Host detachment is a go for me. I'll get myself a unit of Eliminators and a unit of Suppressors and finish painting the Primaris I have and then I'm going to build a Flawless Host detachment with Daemon Prince, Lord Discordant, 2 Maulerfiends, 2 Heldrakes, 2x5 Havocs and 3x5 Chaos Marines. Too bad the Legion traits still don't apply to vehicles though. :ermm:

Big blob CSMs are still a lot of points in units that are pretty slow and not particularly durable. I'm not sure I see it working myself, but hopefully I'm wrong. Maybe a mixed faction list, with Abaddon supporting a detachment of self-replenishing red coursairs CSMs?

I pre-ordered Abaddon but I'm honestly thinking the core will be a battalion and spearhead. Two Havoc squads (one with 4 rotor cannon, one with 4 lascannon probably), a Lord disco with 2 Venomcrawler (could sub Maulerfiend but I don't own any).

I am torn on big CSM squads. I want to think they will work but signs point otherwise. Visually though a squad of 20 with pistols and chainswords, maybe flamers would look stunning, if being useless.

Not sure if Abaddon is really worth having but could be. And not sure of the rest. I want to incorporate a lot of the new models without cheesing out with Red Corsairs. Maybe a squad of Terminators now that you can keep them fairly cheap with combi-bolters and chainaxes

What do people think of this Chaos Lord, Chaos Sorcerer with 2x Havoc Squads probably with reaper chaincannons in a termite assault drill.

I feel like it could work, but might overly investing in them.

I pre-ordered Abaddon but I'm honestly thinking the core will be a battalion and spearhead. Two Havoc squads (one with 4 rotor cannon, one with 4 lascannon probably), a Lord disco with 2 Venomcrawler (could sub Maulerfiend but I don't own any).

I am torn on big CSM squads. I want to think they will work but signs point otherwise. Visually though a squad of 20 with pistols and chainswords, maybe flamers would look stunning, if being useless.

Not sure if Abaddon is really worth having but could be. And not sure of the rest. I want to incorporate a lot of the new models without cheesing out with Red Corsairs. Maybe a squad of Terminators now that you can keep them fairly cheap with combi-bolters and chainaxes

Abaddon most certainly seems worth adding to me, he's a beatstick, gives you loads of rerolls and CPs. What's not to love? 

I do agree though that I don't think it's going to be all that viable to run max size CSM units. Yeah, basic marines do get some improvements, but they still suffer from all the same old problems. The only thing I would say is with prayers, more psychic powers and stratagems there's a lot more buffs to throw on units and in some cases that benefits having big units. 

Noooo, I must stay strong! The Alpha Legion focus has some nice deep-teal coloured Alpha legion guys that looks absolutely stunning...and I was so sure about my Black Legion pick... :(

Am I the only one freaking out about having a very cool artifact sitting in my deployment to have my sorcerers (who typically just sit near my deployment zone for 1-3 turns anyway) perform rituals around?

It seems really good for Thousand Sons players like me who might have 100+ points to spare in a 2k list with nothing meaningful to add.

Noctilith Crown go

Noooo, I must stay strong! The Alpha Legion focus has some nice deep-teal coloured Alpha legion guys that looks absolutely stunning...and I was so sure about my Black Legion pick... :sad.:

I am in the process of doing a testmodel for Black legion with teal accents instead of grey ones. Could work, or not - the test will show.

Am I the only one freaking out about having a very cool artifact sitting in my deployment to have my sorcerers (who typically just sit near my deployment zone for 1-3 turns anyway) perform rituals around?

It seems really good for Thousand Sons players like me who might have 100+ points to spare in a 2k list with nothing meaningful to add.

Noctilith Crown go

I have three sorcerers I use on a regular basis. I'm going to love having a Noctilith Crown for them. And other reasons.

So GW put up the preview of the Havocs and Terminators which are on pre-order next week.  2 of each weapon.. EXCEPT for the rotor cannon, only 1 of those.

Classic GW.

Noctilith Crown go

I love these faction themed terrain pieces but I don't plan to go heavy on sorcerers or CSM stuff in general. It's just a stop gap for me until we get the EC stuff. :P

I am very displeased with GW for pulling that stunt on the Chaingun.... but I was looking at the kit and the heavy Bolter dude is very similar. I’ll just put a bit on a heavy Bolter and be done with it.

However a name keeps surfacing in my head that I can't help but add to every time it does.

The wolves of horus.

"Hounds of Horus". Eh? Alliterative, if you like that.

Really loving those new Chaos Terminators. Also Havocs. Shame about the lack of chaincannons, but to be expected.

Has me thinking though.  The chaincannon is amazing but running a squad of 4 also means they are a huge target because they can shred pretty much anything in the game.  Might be worth it to spread it out.  For instance, put the chaincannons on 5-man CSM squads, and keep your havocs with long-range

probable anti-tank/vehicle (2x lascannon, 2x autocannon?) capabilities and use their move and fire to be able to reposition on targets.  Or run them with 2x chaincannons and 2x heavy bolters or something (which has similar stats just less shots).

Keeps in line with the threat saturation concept.

have two ideas in my head right now:

2x5 CSM squads with chaincannon
2x5 Havocs with 2x Lascannon/2 Autocannon (or similar, long range support)

OR

1x5 Havoc squad with 2x Heavy Bolter, 2x Chaincannon (close-range fire support squad)
1x5 Havoc squad with 4x Lascannon (Firebase)
2x5 CSM squads with 1x Autocannon (Firebase)
And then with option 2 your havoc squad with the bolters/chaincannon is advancing behind something nasty, for example a large unit of 20 close combat marines with 2x flamers, or whatever you want that they need to provide covering fire for against potential threats.

The more I think about it, the chaincannon feels better with the CSm squad.  The high ROF helps to offset the 4+ BS when you move.  That might actually be a solid case for a squad of 10 with plasma + chaincannon, combi-plasma on the champion. That's a lot of firepower on the move that can deal with a variety of threats.

Spreading the Chainguns out adds lots of survivability to them, but they als lose a LOT of value since you can't stack buffs on all of them at once.

I think it's better go all in. Target saturation and all that; 6x5 havocs with 4 miniguns each is only 600 points (champ with bolt pistol and chainsword). That's also an insane amount of shots. For less than 400 pts you can add 3 dreadclaws for fun factor.

I don't know if I'm going to do that (yet), because the list is still wip, and formations to be decided.

I think it's better go all in. Target saturation and all that; 6x5 havocs with 4 miniguns each is only 600 points (champ with bolt pistol and chainsword). That's also an insane amount of shots. For less than 400 pts you can add 3 dreadclaws for fun factor.

I don't know if I'm going to do that (yet), because the list is still wip, and formations to be decided.

Rule of 3. Can only have 3 units of Havocs in matched play games. 

Archived