Kadeth's Handmaidens - Dr. Ruminahui's slaaneshi host

Realized I haven't posted my last few ETL updates here - its about time I fix that. :smile.:  

Here are the finished black skinned daemonettes (except the banner - I need to think what I want to put on it) which makes that squad half done.  I'm just starting on the second batch of 10 - I can do them together (unlike splitting the black and brown daemonettes) as their skin are all treated the same way (just a wash of Reikland Fleshshade).

q3wOYca.jpg

oWxX2ey.jpg

I'm used to painting models on their bases (which gives a handy place to hold) but have been painting the chariot disassembled into its major components (the 2 seekers, the 2 riders, the wheeled blades and the chariot itself).  When painting the first seeker, I found that I kept rubbing off the painting I had done, as I was holding the model itself.  So, using a couple of paint pots of colours I'm not using for this model plus some blue tac, I improvised myself some painting handles.  They've really worked like a charm.  Here is a picture of the riders on some.

72X9992.jpg

I've now finished painting the chariot and it is downstairs having been based and waiting for the initial glue to dry. Once it does, I will apply another coat of glue ontop to seal it, then spray the model itself with purity seal and it will be done.

Here are some pictures of the various segments awaiting assembly.  The first has one rider glued in place alongside the other which required some finishing touches before gluing it in place.

FuIVjsz.jpg

gbABA4q.jpg

w4eQ7Ub.jpg

oVtXOtM.jpg

And here is a picture of the two steeds in place with the saddle cap glued on but not yet painted.

IVQc7lx.jpg

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Thanks!  I'm glad you like them.  I'm really pleased with how they are turning out as well.

The bases are just going to be sand, like in this post:  http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/356094-kadeths-handmaidens-dr-ruminahuis-slanneshi-host/?p=5320388

Someday I may do something more exciting for my bases, but I have yet to be really inspired into putting that much effort into basing.

Hey, nothing wrong with plain sand on bases. Those look good, no worries. You could play around with static grass, there are plety of types available in modelling shops. Some dead or burned grass could look excellent on your bases.

You're making excellent progress, you'll get loads done if you keep this pace up :tu:

Larger bases are good and bad, as there's lots of room to play with but also lots of room to fill :P Some ruin bits and skulls can go surprisingly far I've found, and of course nothing like a water feature to eat up space you don't know what to do with ;)

Here are pictures of my finishes chariot.  Although I feel its some of my best painting, there are a few things I'm not happy about with my constructing the model - namely, the wheels between the seekers are on backwards, and while being glued the dark seeker shifted such that one of his feet isn't attached to the base.  So, it was a learning process and hopefully I'll do better on my next one - though it too already has its issues, namely the bladed axle having bowed, so I currently am trying to bend it back straight with a heavy elastic.

XDV59kf.jpg

Here's one with some of my new daemonettes next to it.  Despite the very different hair colours, I fell like they still have the cohesion I'm seeking - they look like parts of the same army rather than a collection of dispirate units.

q0ZYjEl.jpg

Just have the last touches on the final 4 daemonettes, and then that unit is ready for basing.

Thanks for the basing suggestions - I don't think I'll do water features, though, as from their current bases I picture them fighting in a desert.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Okay, I finished painting my 20 daemonettes (except for the banner) - they are now going downstairs to be based.  However, before that happens I wanted to take pics of them in the units they'll end up in (I'll be splitting my current squad of 20 with pink and purple hair into 2 squads, one with pink hair, one with purple, then bumping them both up to 20 with the daemonettes I painted for my first vow this ETL.  I wanted to take the pictures before they are based, as after they are it will be hard to separate them from the old models for when I wanted to take a picture of the entire vow (or a final ETL picture of all my vows together).

Squad purple:

Be2Lm8M.jpg

Squad pink:

J0EYDvJ.jpg

So, part of my next vow is Syll'Eske (or as I like to call them/it, the Dynami Duo), but I am at somewhat of a quandary as to paint them/it:

r1IeNdR.jpg

Now, for certain it/they will have pink clothes, just like my daemonettes, with their armoured parts (and the gymnastics rig on his back) being dark purple highlighted in light purple (like my chariots).  My issue is how to do the flesh.

My first thought was to do the daemon prince with dark flesh, like that of either of these daemonettes:

qLpauzY.jpg

If I did, I would do his scarification in light pink, and both it and the darker pink of his robes would contrast nicely.  As well, it would differentiate my model from the GW paint scheme, which is an added bonus.  His armoured bits, on the other hand, wouldn't stand out as much.

My thought was then to make the herald fair skinned, like one of the models below, so that she would contrast with the prince"

nAjxc3P.jpg

However, there is something inherently problematic with having a white woman with a whip riding on a black man, and I'm not sure I want to go there even if it is the most visually catching paint scheme.

The next most obvious option would be to reverse the colours - making her dark and him light skinned.  Makes the model less problematic, but makes the prince look more like GWs and makes me uncertain as how then to do the scarrification - bright purple (like the seeker scales in the chariot picture) or stick with light pink?

Anyway, looking for some suggestions - you guys have any thoughts on the matter?

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Thanks Roland, that's a thought - I'll let that percolate in my brain for a bit.  If I do that, I may do the gymnastics rig in metallic purple rather than dark purple, so as to give more contrast with the dark skin tone.

Almost done my second chariot - just have to finish 1 rider and then base it.  Should have that done before next weekend. 

Before I start into painting my seakers for real (rather just laying the basic colour blocks as I've so far done), I wanted to show I picture of their hair, because it amuses me.

UMNNDz9.jpg

That's not how they will end up.  Basically, I was unhappy as to what the new florescent paints looked like when used as washes on the same or similar colours (except the purple, which I've been using as a wash for a long time), so wondered what they would like as washes on white.  The seekers were just the test for that, which is why they have multi-coloured hair.  It's promising enough that I 'll try the technique out for my various HQs, at which point I will decide if its a look that I actually want to keep.

Well it's a nice matt you have on your table but unfortunately that picture is pretty useless if you want to show anything about the models. Pay attention to where the focus of your camera is before taking the picture. If you can't focus the model try to take it from further away and crop the picture afterwards. ;)

It's Thursday, and chariot number 2 is done - I think this one's a hellflayer.

kPUfUSw.jpg

LTN2SII.jpg

As well, I've been working on my seekers unit - here's my first completed

lyvEK6i.jpg

Here's a picture with it next to one with just the basic colours blocked in and a pot of Troll Slayer Orange. 

3I8fImb.jpg

I took this picture to show how obnoxious the base colour for her hair was (it's just straight Yriel Yellow) but how less obnoxious it becomes when washed with the almost as equally obnoxious Troll Slayer Orange.  I wouldn't have guessed, except that I had previously discovered this effect when I did the banner for one of my CSM bikes (see here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346143-the-judgment-on-kadeth-dr-ruminahuis-emperors-children/?p=5286573)

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Thanks - yeah, ETL really channels my free time into painting rather than playing video games and such. :smile.:

Glad you like the orange wash.  I've now found that the orange-yellow combo looks far brighter the more of it there is - I did the mane of one of the steeds that way, and it almost looks like its on fire.  Not quite what I was going for (at least not on a non-character model) but a good effect to remember for later.  I'll have pics up later today.

Edit:  Here we go - here's the model I was talking about - the mane doesn't come across quite as bright in the picture as it does in person.

6jVxV52.jpg

Edit edit: 

Here's my (fully painted?) hearseeker:

dfgNTD8.jpg

I did all the painting on her that I had planned to, except now I think she needs some highlights on her flesh.  What should I use as a highlight colour for Dryad Bark?

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Well, I've finished my seekers - behold!

Tb11ey4.jpg

aICjobx.jpg

Which means I've finished my first vow!

PQbzHum.jpg

My next vow has Syll'Esske and the Contorted Epitome in it, which I will share pictures of here.  It also has a renegade knight, but as that isn't very daemonic, I'll be posting its progress on this other thread: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/356852-the-bringers-of-judgment-dr-ruminahuis-knights/. :smile.:

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

• 3 weeks later...

I've managed to put some paint on some of my first Slaaneshi daemon HQ units:

I am about 1/3 done my dynamic duo:

9wVFyHt.jpg

ItviPLN.jpg

And done some basic blocking of some colours for my magic mirror:

z8gkpRh.jpg

Going away for a bit, though, so won't be able to work on them again until August.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Looking superb thus far! The Piggyback Prince whose name I can never remember looks especially good. Also, how are you planning on doing the mirror of the Epitome out of interest?

Edited by Evil Eye

The pinks on the prince are really nice, good stuff! :biggrin.:

Thanks!  In the pinks, the pink of the "pants" and the pink of the sash looks the same - in real life the colours are a little more differentiated and look even better.

Looking superb thus far! The Piggyback Prince whose name I can never remember looks especially good. Also, how are you planning on doing the mirror of the Epitome out of interest?

Thanks!  I'm really looking forward to getting the Piggyback Prince (who I refer to as the Dynamic Duo) done, though that will have to wait until August.

As for the mirror, the "legs" and frame will be the dark purple with light purple edge highlighting (like the dark purple saddles on my seekers above).   As for the mirror itself, I haven't decided how to do it yet - maybe silver with a blue wash or ink?  Any suggestions?

As well, does anyone have any suggestions for what colour to do the scarification on my Piggyback Prince?  I've tried the purple of my marines, but that was too dark and didn't really stand out, and the lighter purple I use for highlighting, but that was too soft and looked weird.  Khorne red mixed with Fulgrim pink, maybe?  Bright green?

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui