Kadeth's Handmaidens - Dr. Ruminahui's slaaneshi host

Getting a game in tomorrow, planning on fielding daemons with allies (basically, everything I've painted in this year's ETL and since, plus a few other units (such as my daemon price) to make the lists work.

yyuv0Dl.jpg

My army is:

Demon Batallion (Slannesh)

Syll'Eske

Contorted Epitome

3x 20 daemonettes with musician

1x 5 seekers with musician

Hellflayer

Seeker Chariot

Chaos Space Marine Spearhead (Emperor's Children)

Demon Price (Warlord) with sword, with Armour of Abhorrence and Glutton for Punishment

2x Obliterators

Venomcrawler

Super-Heavy Auxiliary

Knight Despoiler with heavy stubber, rapid-fire battlecannon & stubber, avenger gatling cannon & heavy flamer, and stormspear rocket.  Has Helm of Warpsight.

My friend will be playing Necrons - most likely with 3x of the heavy weapon flyer, a unit of 6 destroyers, 3x 20 warriors, a destroyer lord, a command barge and 2x annihilation barges.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

I've done a little work on my fiends - have almost all the basic colours done, then I'll be on to washes and inks.

It's a crappy picture, but as its only a WIP it will have to do for now.

Xkk7UrN.jpg

With the dark purple shoulder pads, it looks like I'm copying WarriorFish's but I'm not - honest. :)

Not so worried about the legs - although we used the same colour, mine will look fairly different after they get a fluorescent purple wash.  As can be seen here - finished the first of the squad except for the base (which will be done for the whole squad at the same time when I've painted the third model).

DT23idy.jpg

3KHDcm3.jpg

Incidentally, I haven't shared my battle with my daemons yet.  The list was basically the same as the one above but with only the daemon stuff (so no knight or CSMs except for the daemon prince).  It was a team game with me and my friends 1000 points of orks versus 2500 points of my other friends necrons.

Here's the original battle lines.  It did not go well.

WJiIMKH.jpg

Basically, the enemy focused fire on my units such that only about 10 daemonettes made it into a unit of his warriors in the left-middle, and a chariot, the seekers and the mirror making it into combat with the command barge on the right.  Importantly, my Syll'Eske rolled an 8 to charge when he needed a 9 to get into base with both squads of necron destroyers - I rolled 2 4s.  Since I really needed to make it in, I spent a CP to reroll one of the 4s (how I wish it was a 6 and a 2 or a 5 and a 3 instead) but failed. The daemonettes didn't really do much to the warriors - I've found that daemonettes really aren't very impressive even if they do manage to get into combat.

As for the combat on the right with the command barge, we managed to get it down to 1 wound... which is really 1 wound too many, as it could both fly and regenerate.

My friend was able to "da jump" a squad of boyz behind the destroyers and get into combat and kill the destroyer lord - but it got back up due to a piece of wargear and then regenerated up to full wounds (same piece of wargear, I think its a relic).

Next round, the necrons left combat and shot the rest of my army off the table and the round after that my friend's.

Here's a closer shot of my battle line, while it still existed. :)

2Q130fQ.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah - need to build and paint some more terrain up - though, not building my own is kind of a limitation, as GW terrain isn't very good at blocking LOS.

Anyway, finished my fiends.

aySP1ih.jpg

And individually:

b7IOGSM.jpg

mPbMj0A.jpg

POZUsdl.jpg

Sure glad to have them done.  Did the pale one last, and it really didn't look very good until almost at the end, when I got the wash done.  That, and the pale skin made it hard to see where I needed to touch up the gold, making it so that the only time I noticed is when I was painting some detail, and then I struggled to find it the mistake again when I was done.

Yeah I had that problem too, you end up looking for a mistake across different Fiends :lol: All worth it in the end they look great, and should really help out on the table top too :) I don't expect any Fiends to survive a game but they should get good work done either directly or with their special rules on the way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Decided to up my demons to 2000 points, to try them out in a full game (we usually play 2K) in 9th, whenever that happens.  Need to build and paint about 700 more points.

Here's this weekend's project:  Building a Keeper of Secrets with all the options magnetized.

Here it is as the special character:

dT0o36U.jpg

Here it is as a regular keeper:

8HXXzUM.jpg

I do need to greenstuff some details back on the wrists - the area you have to work in is tight, and in some places my drilling took out the side of the wrist.

Next up is 5 more seekers - for 9th, I'm thinking a second squad of 5 is better than bumping my current squad up to 10. What do you guys think?

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Glad you magnetised yours fully, if only I could turn back time... :P It's a great model so you'll enjoy painting it up :D Keep us updated on your progress :tu:

I did look at 10 Seeker squads in 8th but always ended up splitting them into fives. I don't feel this plan changes for 9th so I'd stick to the separate squad plan :)

I will, don't worry.  Not sure what colour to do her/him/it - thinking a darker skin tone, to make it different from the usual ultra-pale version.

Thanks for the heads up on squad size - I think I will build it as separate unit from the 5 seekers I already have.  I have some more than I could build to bulk out those 2 squads (or as a 3rd squad) in the future.

With so much model to work with, maybe you could do something extra different and have shifting skin colours? Might look a bit out of place though.

My thought process was that Seekers are quick but very squishy, so a unit of 10 would be great as a fire magnet and perhaps not much else... :confused: At least as two squads you can hedge your bets a bit, and cover more ground.

Yeah... not sure about shifting colours - not sure I could pull that off and not have it look like some weird kind of cow. :)

Given the new overwatch rules, 2 squads of seekers is probably better as:

1) part of the reason to have 2 squads was to ensure that some survived overwatch to get stuck in; and

2) it gives me 2 charge roles, giving me a better chance of getting at least 1 squad in.

Depends if you use the classic head? :tongue.: I generally felt that spreading models out across more units was best in 8th, and while 9th has changed I think overall it works out the same pretty much. Seekers are fragile unfortunately so can be killed easily and will surely be higher priority targets for their speed, and aside from being less inviting targets a smaller squad is also a smaller target so more likely to find somewhere to hide.

Then you could do a crafty advance and charge if you can slingshot by a character. That said the character targeting rules in 9th will probably make such manoeuvrers harder/riskier to pull off but we'll see.

Well, I've magnetized all the heads, so the paint job will have to go with all of them. :)

I have an Epitome (as well as a legends Herald on Steed), so I should be able to have a character keep up with the seekers .  That said, you raise a good point in that to protect the character, I need to have a squad of at least 3 models next to it - not sure if the best way of ensuring that is 2x 5 squads or a 1x 10.

Prior to the FAQ drop yesterday, I could have also used a chariot to protect the character - however, now vehicles need 10+ wounds to trigger the character protection rule.

Well, I've magnetized all the heads, so the paint job will have to go with all of them. :)

I have an Epitome (as well as a legends Herald on Steed), so I should be able to have a character keep up with the seekers . That said, you raise a good point in that to protect the character, I need to have a squad of at least 3 models next to it - not sure if the best way of ensuring that is 2x 5 squads or a 1x 10.

Prior to the FAQ drop yesterday, I could have also used a chariot to protect the character - however, now vehicles need 10+ wounds to trigger the character protection rule.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/08/12/look-out-sir-for-an-faq-update/

Seems like they changed look out sir! and took out the 10+ wound stipulation for monsters and vehicles and just said characters can't cover for other characters if they have 9 or less wounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I've replaces the photos with some better ones - I am super proud of her/him/it.

X7V0kFf.jpg

MxZ0cmH.jpg

ToasjO8.jpg

Still have to paint the other 2 heads and assorted other weapons (its magnetized), but even with just these I think its a fine centerpiece to my daemonette army.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Excellent work! The choice of colours really work, I particularly like how the shield and hair came out :biggrin.: Looking forward to seeing the magnetised options done soon :thumbsup:

Thanks!  My army colours have transfered well to the slaaneshi demons of all sizes, thankfully - who knew so many models looked good in hot pink? :smile.:  And thanks, I'm quite happy with the shield in particular too.

Syll'Esske. I've typed it enough that Google suggests it once I get to the first 'l'.

I also left the last layer of robe-thing off of my KoS, I'm not sure what they were thinking with that but the model just looks better without it.

Not sure why you bring up Syll'Eske - that's the dynamic duo - you can see my painted version earlier in the thread.  The keeper character is Shalaxi hellbane.

I would have used the outer robe, but it doesn't work the the Shalaxi options so I left it off (likewise, the model doesn't have Shalaxi's dangling arm beads, as those don't fit the arms for the regular keeper).  If ever do another keeper (which, I might eventually - its a nice model) I won't bother with the Shalaxi options and will use the arm cloaks - they can look quite nice (as they do on Warrior Fish's keeper - http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/328732-warriorfishs-slaaneshi-daemons/?p=5541558)

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui
Link fixed :)