NiftyVT's Xana II Mechanicum

Great work. I feel a bit off attempting to offer any criticism as your work is way beyond my ability.  Here goes any way.  There is a detail that struck me about your original questoris .  It has strikingly red feet.  On a all off-white model, it is a stand out.  When I saw it I was wondering if there was a Story behind it.  I was hoping to see it repeated in the other units.  My hope was not paid off.   This to me is a opportunity lost.  I was thinking it was homage to sacred Mars.  It was not even repeated on the other knights though so it looks like it was just a one off.  I suppose that One knight ( who has different weapons from Time to Time) once Walked sacred Mars...  Sorry if the Fluff nazi in me is out of line here.  

edit

The New tank dose have red dirt on the treads.  This is the look I was feeling.

I use pigments on the tank tracks and I really wish they would stay all dusty looking when sealed down but  I think they still look good.

The main reason that my first knight has those brick brown feet is because I got lazy. :biggrin.:  I didnt notice that I didnt spray the toes the aged white until way into the painting process so I started blocking it in by hand using the same vallejo brown primer that I used to prime the armor panels with. But, I gave up before I started on hand painting the many, many layers of the aged white it would have taken to get good coverage and just left them as is. No secret story here. :teehee:

In other news, I picked up my next Chaos Knight from my FLGS yesterday. All my Taro Modelmaker parts are all clean and ready to go. Let the forge burn bright! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Basic build complete. I just need to add spikes and such. Armor panels and other bits are balancing carefully for the photo so they can be painted separate. :biggrin.:

51716226838_ea837c3f9d_c.jpgUntitled by nifty, on Flickr

51716226833_4a3cd8b20b_c.jpgUntitled by nifty, on Flickr

Edited by NiftyVT

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So my Bday is coming up and I am looking to get something a bit…bigger.

Warhound or Knight Asterius?

Edit: My hobby area is still out of commission due to the pipe that broke under my basement slab. Having to fight with the insurance company on every little thing. Pro tip, if you have Travelers insurance drop them ASAP.

Edited by NiftyVT

• 8 months later...

Back up and running. Only real hobby time is early in the morning on the weekends (my mini me just turned 1). So, I have been working on some of these guys! Once the basing dries I am all ready to do the oil wash. I have also finished blocking in the colors on the running knight. I need to do some chipping on the off white and little micro scratches on the metal. Then the shield knight is front and center. 

52397009028_77eb57196b_c.jpg

Oh, and about my bday present to myself . . . it was a Chaos Warhound. Its hanging out in its box waiting for me to finish the shield knight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Making good progress on the initial clean up of the parts. I got everything scrubbed down and about 1/2 of the parts trimmed and cleaned. One of the big pluses of the Chaos Warhound is that any air bubbles or any other mold imperfections I come across just get turned into more battle damage. :cool:

That Vasgtorr mini is going to get the same treatment that my Mephiston did. :biggrin:

and on the Warhound front: I ordered a base from TaroModelMaker. And I started dry fitting the main hull. I have some heat bending that I need to do and then it’s off to layout the pins! 

10 hours ago, Magos Takatus said:

Nice! TaroModelMaker has some nice conversion parts if I remember correctly. I think I ordered parts for my Mechanicus Knights from them.

I have a bunch of Taros stuff. Armiger bits and my Lancer is all Taro. And it looks like I got his last 2 Acastus bases. 

Edited by NiftyVT

• 2 weeks later...

The main hull glue up went fantastic! Now its time to build from the bottom up. . . how its going :blink:

One big pin to go from the base up into the foot and then probably a 2nd pin further towards the tip of the toe.

Oh, and the big white surface I am working on is the Warhound Base from TaroModelMaker! Hard part is where do I secure the foot on the base and have the torso as close to centered on the base as possible. I see lots of blue tac and pretending to have 8 arms in my future. And probably a couple holes in the base to hold the foot down as I trial and error this thing.

52548330965_001855b34e_b.jpg

It stands! Well . . .one toe does. :biggrin:

So the pin coming out of the foot was at a weird angle so I used some good old blue tac to get the angle close and over drilled the hole by one bit size.

52553788392_891263a243_b.jpg

52553788397_f4d0bc9722_b.jpg

Then with a little blue tac plus 8 arming the leg to get a little visual I figured this was close. . .ish. . .maybe to the right angle :ph34r:. I couldnt hold the leg and take a pic so just the toe and foot pad for you. I also stuck the other toes on via blue tac to make sure they would not look janky. They were fine.

52554541834_df3e02249e_b.jpg

The pin is quite tight so with just tac on the base and at the foot pad it stands nicely. So now how do I epoxy this thing?!

52554247546_cda6a34922_b.jpg

Why with a paint pot, tooth pick container, glue bottle plus my smallest clamp that could get JUST enough purchase on the rivet on the tip of the toe to hold it. Hang in there little guy you got this!

52554729550_de1772abfa_b.jpg

I think this is the first really big step (haha, step. . .). Next up is the rest of the toes on this foot and the other leg. . .that will not be touching the base. . . you know. . .because I hate myself. :cool: But at the same time, somehow, I need to get the main support leg up and the torso on so I can make sure the other leg is posed right. This will be interesting. Its a classic chicken before the egg problem. . .or I just wing it which is where I am leaning this morning.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2022 at 12:03 AM, Pearson73 said:

Fantastic group shot, looking forward to seeing the titan progress.

Thanks! More progress. Almost ready to get it standing proper!

Went to the store today and got some pipe for the torso pin and arm extensions. I am going to try and magnetize the torso using the big pin so I can break it down if needed. And my old trusty copper pipe cutter cuts the plastic pipe really well too!

52596700609_b1d85610ad_k.jpg

Main standing leg is all pinned up and epoxied together. Ready for final main posing. Also did a ton of gap filling work on the main hull. 

52595950022_edfe149e01_k.jpg

I am still brain storming what do do with the spot where I cut the arm mounts off. Maybe another 1 or 2 little sensor pods like the ones looking forward? Or maybe some more Chaos'y wires and other gubbins to cover the area? Leaning towards more sensor bits. Smooth it out, add marching rivets around teh panel, maybe a sensor thats twice the width of the one facing forward? Area circled in red, rivets in black, sensor red.

52596989538_35327a673c_k.jpg

Edited by NiftyVT

• 2 weeks later...