NiftyVT's Xana II Mechanicum

The Krios is almost ready for the oil wash. I just need to mess around a little bit more with some details. Need to dry fit it one more time to double check what can an cant be seen once its assembled. And I think I am going to rust it up a bit too.

I am just about out of my oil wash mix which means I need to mix up another batch. And I have been having trouble finding the AK Interactive Brown Blue for a reasonable price so I got some MIG equivalent (FLGS carries MIG) that looks identical. I didnt really see a MIG equivalent to AK Streaking Grime so if anyone knows of one please post up. Fingers crossed that it turns out looking the same. I think the Krios will be the test bed.

Edited by NiftyVT

That's really odd, the skeletal nature of the Krios makes it look like it's battlefield debris rather than parts of a tank waiting to be assembled. That's not a criticism of your work, just the odd tank design. That oil wash looks great. It's going to look brilliant when it's finished and looking more tank-shaped. :biggrin.:

Edit: squishing a typo

Edited by Magos Takatus

That's really odd, the skeletal nature of the Krios makes it look like it's battlefield debris rather than parts of a tank waiting to be assembled. That's not a criticism of your work, just the odd tank design. That oil wash looks great. It's going to look brilliant when it's finished and looking more tank-shaped. :biggrin.:

Edit: squishing a typo

Yeah, it's a unique tank that's for sure. I love the design but it does look like a seemingly random pile of bits to those not familiar with it. Even assembled it's not very tank like lol.

I have been sitting here looking it over trying my best to figure out how and where I can get a decal on it. The thing doesnt really have any good spots for decals. . .lots more holding up decals and eyeballing it needed.

Edited by NiftyVT

I only got this far last night. :teehee: I use a 5 min setting glue for final assembly. It also looks like the front shield his hitting the little antenna things that stick up  a little so I will need to hair dryer them a little and bend them out of the way just a little. Hopefully I wont need to adjust the shield mounts. 

48463814746_726757d4b4_c.jpg

I got the Krios fully assembled and I am going to matte varnish it tonight. Then I am going to try my hand at using pigments on the tracks. . .:ph34r.: scary because I have never done pigments like this before. 

Step one, prep area. . .probably the most important step when doing pigments. The stuff can easily get EVERYWHERE!

48497712462_7177812904_c.jpg

Before

48497712442_a92747df97_c.jpg

After. Looks sweet.   

48497541931_f9dc03d993_c.jpg

Anyone have any tips on setting the pigments? I might just start trying different things. Through some youtube viewing I have seen people fix it using fixer and a brush and with a little pipette.  I have even read a suggestion to just matte varnish over it via airbrush but I dont think that will work all that great. Might have to just try each technique on different track sections. I also saw someone thin down the pigment in the fixer (aka mineral spirit) before applying. Maybe I will try that on something next.

Edited by NiftyVT

Amazing work both on the tank and your infantry. They look fantastic!

Let us know how you get on with your attempts at fixating that pigment. I found the whole process rather frustrating, and tried any number of things until I Energieausweis eventually settled on AK Interactive pigment fixer solution, which isn't perfect either, but as close to acceptable as it got for me.

Edit: Autocorrect is funny sometimes.

Edited by Brother Kortmer

Well I now know Energieausweis means energy certificate in English according to google translate. I’m also going to check out AK pigments now. Cheers!

The pigments I used are from Secret Weapons Miniatures. I am sure the ones from AK or any of the other manufacturers would work just as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Since it mostly likely will never see play on the table top since it's highly unlikely that GW will release 40k rules for it. I carefully carried Krios over to my display cabinet and gently set it down. If rules come out then I will revisit fixing the pigment.

Looks sweet along side everything else!

But it also makes me really want to add pigments to everything elses bases and feet.

I got a spray bottle like you'd use for watering plants. Filled with tap water and mixed in a good amount of PVA glue. I spray that from a reasonable distance and I find it the best way to lock pigment in. I don't like the effect that Matt varnish has on loose pigment, and pigment fixer only really shines on very heavy deposits.

New Bonereapers = dark mech bits fodder. . .hmmmm time will tell.

There has to he a way to make Katakros into a Archmagos! I am thinking head crest swap, shield swap/maybe just the symbol, other symbol swaps, backpack bone things turned to mechadendrites. Maybe tiny little mechanical arms tucked into his sides like they can pop out of his body as needed. I need to see a size comparison but he looks huge, which is perfect. =)

And of course painted a nice shiny chrome. . .or a dark color shift like the new Dark Net from turbo dork or a combo of the 2. Or just make him my standard off white with the red scorpions but I do like the idea of the chrome, it would make him really pop alongside all my other things. So many ideas.

That Dark Net Turbo Dork paint is pretty nice. Just bought and tested it a few days ago.

Yeah, it looks sweet. But the question I need to answer is, do I want him dark and evil looking or shiny looking. I actually think the shiny and clean looking might actually look more sinister alongside the grimy look of the rest of the force. I think the shiny paint job would portray the type of arrogance a high ranking magos would have. And if I can pull off the conversion I have in my mind it would be really sweet looking. I was also just zooming in on the model trying to figure out what to do with all of the other little bodyguard types. Would be sweet for him to have a matching entourage of magos and tech priests. I would make them on individual bases bit still try and get them to fit on the big display base for display purposes. I was thinking about getting another FW knight (like the new Asterius) as a big project for next year but this guy might actually be more fun!

Edited by NiftyVT

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to building a 3rd Myrmidon Secutor/Destroyer/Breacher conversion using my pile of spare tech priests :biggrin.:

I figured I should build the 3rd so I can finish painting the trio together. Need to tidy up with some green stuff and then he is ready for paint.

48712992176_a66531bcc3_c.jpg

48712665413_9317a111b8_c.jpg

48713157572_e44e432038_c.jpg

So it's been just about a month since the Katakros teaser pictures and the start of my Archmagos idea. Usually after a couple of weeks my excitement and motivation for a conversion after seeing something previewed reduces a lot or just dies completely. But not this! The conversion keeps getting more and more awesome in my mind!

So much so that I need to rummage for some random old bits in order to test some conversion techniques before he is released. . .because I really dont want to buy 2 of him due to messing something up! I suspect he will cost around what a Knight costs so a misstep could be really costly.