Today in Titanicus I...

I’ll be the first to acknowledge the WD rules let you double up on some of the best legio rules but would they be more appropriate if you could only take three total - one from each section (trait, wargear, stratagem) instead of four total (up to two from any section)?

Eh, the fourth is usually somewhat redundant more often than not. Most of my list brews basically have their concept nailed with three bits, but restricting it to only one per section would eat into the whole point of "your dudes". Some don't like to buy wargear, for example.

Personally I don't see that big of a power difference in there any more than you'd have with the existing Legios, any force can be crushed by playing well in this game. Making a cheesy list with something like Astorum or Fureans isn't any harder than it is with Crusade lists, likewise it isn't hard to make a lower powered Crusade list in the vein of Solaria or Atarus.

All of my group so far have just been sticking with their painted Legio, though we have just recruited an Audax fan so we shall see where they go. For the event we are planning next year im  getting list submissions in early for planning purposes and plan to have a word with anyone overtly powergaming the WD rules. 

Was meant to be playing a game today but my opponent has the death lurg :( 

All of my group so far have just been sticking with their painted Legio, though we have just recruited an Audax fan so we shall see where they go. For the event we are planning next year im  getting list submissions in early for planning purposes and plan to have a word with anyone overtly powergaming the WD rules. 

Was meant to be playing a game today but my opponent has the death lurg :sad.:

That sounds good, most of the Crusade lists are funky more than overtly powerful. Then again, if someone goes for the "30 shots with S9 Apoc launchers with heat sinks to not explode" silliness in any other context than friends being dumb together I'd have a little talk with them :D

... Or 15 Acastoi that can't be Shaken...

I’m undecided on the WD rules. They’re probably no more badly written than the official legio rules but they do allow for more imbalance. The official rules are full of stuff that does nothing, but stuff that does nothing will not usually unbalance the game. It sucks that the Atarus rules have no effect, but at least people who play Atarus know this and can prepare accordingly.

But rules that allow a lot of flexibility to be too good are worse. The WD rules combine stuff that’s too good with the ability to take lots of it.

You can alter your traits for whatever you’re bringing on that day, which is significant. An official legio might have some abilities that improve shooting and others that improve melee, so only some of them will be useful for any given maniple. A custom legio can take four abilities to improve things for the battlegroup they’re actually bringing that day.

I’d prefer for all the legios and households to be redone I think. Maybe let Atarus reroll all initiative rolls instead of just the one on turn 1, when it generally doesn’t matter that much. And give their fire missiles some sort of in-game effect beyond requiring book-keeping. Give Solaria the fancy missiles they have in the Titandeath book. Adjust a few points values - and so on, and so on.

The weird thing for me with AT is that as much as I like the game, I have really mixed feelings about new releases for it. The guys who wrote the core book are gone now. Whoever wrote the Molech book and the Acastus knight terminals are now in charge, and I wish they weren’t!

Bought myself the Reaver upgrade kit, since I'm planning on using the Venator Light Maniple for the Legio Oberon. Unfortunately I glued the left arm for the fist on at the time I was putting it together - do you guys think I should pry it off (super glue so should be ok) or would a fist or chainblade still be a reasonable choice on him?

I nearly slipped and bought a pair of warhounds too, but I'd rather wait and see what their next AT campaign turns out to be

What would you arm a Ferox Maniple Reaver Titan with? I'll be going with a Chainfist for sure but not 100% on the other weapons yet, it'll be a Tempestus titan so has the chance to return fire if it gets destroyed (would it get to swing a melee weapon in that event? I'll have to check the rulebook). 

- May go with Chainfist, melta cannon and apoc launcher unless people have cooler ideas :) I'll also be running a Venator Maniple Reaver rocking volcano, laser blaster and laser destructor.

Edited by Reyner

Megabolter might do well on that chain/melta Reaver, since you want to be close to get any mileage out of Ferrox anyway so range isn't much of a problem after turn one. Cheap, cheerful and ace at breaking shields. With that setup, I'd often aim to run the Reaver and its Hounds aggressively to the enemy so they have to deal with them, accept their inevitable death by turns 3-4 and spend that time to opportunistically take weakened shields down with the Venator Hounds so your Volcano Reaver gets maximal shots out with its long range gun, preferably from an enfilading flank. Running two laser weapons might be a bit excessive on that guy, since it's going to accrue heat from the long range Volcano and the blaster isn't great at hitting things unless you're going Fureans for targeters.

That said, Apocs are pretty groovy and can help out wherever needed, so the proper answer is quite dependant on what's your legio trait, what stratagems you want to use and what role do you see that engine taking. As well as the most important one, what looks and feels cool to you?

I glued together a chainfist/powerfist Reaver, Caestus Atrox, with no regrets. The only downside is that whenever I show up with my traitors my opponent will always know how one is equipped but a brawler is too cool.

I've had a lot of luck fielding mine in tandem with a Warhound pack. Just make sure you swing with the Chain Fist first so you're not left standing there like a dummy in the event that the Power Fist sends your opponent backwards.

I can also say that Mortis' March of the Dead strat helps a lot with getting my Reaver into face punching distance a lot quicker as well. He's single-handedly won me a couple games just from ripping the heart out of the opponent's Princeps ASAP. Never underestimate the power you get from charging in.

And from a Nurgle Cultist's perspective I LOVE working with resin. It takes Dremel modification so much better than plastic.

Edited by DuskRaider

Last night in Titanicus I ran an intro game for a couple of friends at the Sough London Warlords. My Astorum vs Legio Mortis – though not actually using Legio rules as this was an intro game.

We ran mirror maniples. A bellicosa/plasma/apoc warlord, laser destroyer/chainfist/missile reaver and two warhounds – one with plasma and bolter and the other with dual lasers.

The way I ran the game was to introduce more rules over time. So on turn 1 I just used basic rules for priority, movement and the combat phase. In turn 2 I introduced orders and the reactor dice.

The game started with the Mortis force pouring long-ranged fire into the Astorum reaver. This brought its shields down and put a crit on its legs. It was able to get a repair order off though to get a shield back and repair its leg before the Mortis warlord first-fired into it, knocking the shields back down.

That turned out to be bad news for the Mortis warlord though. The Astorum warlord had already aimed at it and was also on first fire. A Heavy barrage of missiles took it down to two shields. The Astorum warhounds then produced more or less a perfect shooting phase. One knocked the warlord's shields down with its bolter and then landed 4 S10 hits on the body with its plasma blastgun. The other then landed 3 targeted hits on the body with its turbo laser destructors. Engine kill!

The warlord actually wildfired at the nearest warhound but mostly missed, and it was able to run off on turn 3 after a ton of incoming shooting, with damage to every location and a missing gun. It had taken so much structural damage it should probably now count as open topped, but it lived!

The Astorum Warlord was then able to pretty much one-shot a Mortis warhound in a single shooting phase. I think the Astorum Reaver got the killing blow, with a couple of targeted turbo laser shots at the warhound’s head.

We called the game at the end of turn 3. Mortis only had a hound and a reaver facing the whole Astorum battlegroup. Victory for Astorum!

Both players enjoyed the game, though the dice did seem to take the side of the loyalists. Hopefully this means we’ve got one or two more players for our club now.

One knocked the warlord's shields down with its bolter and then landed 4 S10 hits on the body with its plasma blastgun. The other then landed 3 targeted hits on the body with its turbo laser destructors. Engine kill!

I love that mental picture.

Picked up my knight household today. In total that means I have a number of knights best described as "lots" (I think 18 questoris, 8 cerastus and 6 acastus), and no time really to work on them! It was probably still worth grabbing the box while it's available.

For now I need to work on my Crimson Fists for the GT finals in January, and then my Astorum for the February event at WHW. After that, maybe the little guys will get some attention. With any luck the Cerastus upgrade sprue will be available by then.

I was almost done with my loyalist legio then decided to start painting my Genestealer cults, went back to my knights, went back to AoS, went back to my loyalist legio, started my 30k/40k Custodes, then went back to my traitor legio. :ermm:

Random thought...what if a Titan Legion (the humans) got infected/corrupted by a Genestealer Cult... Hmm, the possibilities!

My guess would be, some very disappointed tyrannids. How are they going to eat a titan, or whatever irradiated hellscape is left after the titans go to war?