Today in Titanicus I...

I've got three 6mm marines scaled to 110% and a 6mm Rhino scaled to 115% at the printer for my traitor titan bases.  These are scale tests on medium quality to eyeball how they look, doing this is challenging because 40k vehicles are way too small compared to 40k infantry anyway.  When you eyeball a 28mm scale Rhino next to a 28mm scale Reaver they look okay until you add infantry then things look odd.

I'm pretty much going to wing it, I actually really prefer the 6mm vehicles people have added to their 8mm scale AT titan bases because it makes them feel suitably titanic.  I have to keep telling myself the Custodes tanks I printed are actually the right scale because they seem too big but my local GW told me they're way bigger IRL than you'd think.  Oh well.

Hehe ive ended up helping folks spray in Nottingham hotel bathrooms just before events with the fans on :D I usually wait for a good day and heat the can in my trousers for a bit in winter here, though i ll admit the South coast of the UK is barely winter by global standards! 

I used a bunch of old epic minis on my titan bases and they look pretty spot on imho.

Well for better or worse I finished the marble on my titans' plates, the Reavers and Warlord are glossed over it to make them look like giant polished plates of marble. My loyalist Warlord is assembled, still need a few touchups and the torso will be glued to the waist. I still have plenty of guns to paint and I need to redo my attempt at weapon glow on laserblasters and turbolasers. 

It's amazing how much left I have to do.

Last night in Titanicus, I...

Finally found some of my magnets and magnetised my arm weapons straight away before losing them again. I've ordered some slightly larger ones for the carapace mount on the reaver

I resprayed my resin WL guns because the paint wasn't really grabbing.  I thought I got a good layer of Rustoleum primer on there but both layer and contrast paints were just beading up on the surface instead of laying flat.  Granted it was pretty cold that day but the plastics I sprayed at the same time are working fine.  Welp, I hope these very expensive guns come out okay.

Alrighty gents, opinion time. 

Before getting a little gold, shades, and Grey Seer laid down after getting home late I compared the two land raiders I printed today. 

5A580646 AAAD 4E2E 8DCB DF165AB07236

On the left is one of my IW Rhinos, the middle is a 40k mk3 or mk4 LR for Epic scaled up a little, and on the right is the same file but with a simple mk2 sponson I made in 3 minutes with Tinkercad but scaled up a little larger (I also changed the heavy bolter). The middle one printed first and I felt it was a little small, the problem is the right one looks kinda huge on the titan bases. This would go on a Warlord not a Reaver but you get the idea. 

43720BCA 2E96 41E3 951A B2520FCBEFA1

D2A4E06F 2B34 42C1 A336 D8BFF4A9536F

The bigger one looks too big to me but then look at them with the obscenely huge Thunderbolt. The supposedly 8mm scale Tbolt looks so massive!

48CF6665 A9C9 483C 9E92 A8BAC466FB46

Now here’s the weird part. I used this image with my iPad to mock up the size of the two models. 

BB976117 D8B2 45F0 B1A5 C5C27C20C2B1

Now if I put my tanks on top of them the bigger LR fits better does it not? There’s a parallax error but the bigger LR is almost spot on. 

C031B61F 6F4F 4861 9308 9DBEC2267544

D71545CB 0032 42F5 8C61 8527F27E765F

Your thoughts? I know that 40k vehicle models are designed small for gameplay purposes and that IRL a land raider isn’t appreciably smaller than some houses. This makes eyeballing vehicle sizes from the FW site
hard!

0BFAAFC5 1BAF 47BC 91AE AC43D3280A6F

I magnetized all missile launchers of my knights.

I’d be interested to see how you did that.

My guess is using 1x1mm magnets. The knights' carapaces have already a 1mm diameter hole on top. So likely removing the peg at the bottom of the missile pod (assuming there is one as I haven't it yet), drilling a 1x1mm hole and inserting the magnets. At least that is how I would do it for the missile pods and how I did it for adding a Chaos icon.

gallery_116407_14938_73657.jpg

@ Dark Bjoern, please let us know how you did it.

Alrighty gents, opinion time. 

Before getting a little gold, shades, and Grey Seer laid down after getting home late I compared the two land raiders I printed today. 

On the left is one of my IW Rhinos, the middle is a 40k mk3 or mk4 LR for Epic scaled up a little, and on the right is the same file but with a simple mk2 sponson I made in 3 minutes with Tinkercad but scaled up a little larger (I also changed the heavy bolter). The middle one printed first and I felt it was a little small, the problem is the right one looks kinda huge on the titan bases. This would go on a Warlord not a Reaver but you get the idea. 

The bigger one looks too big to me but then look at them with the obscenely huge Thunderbolt. The supposedly 8mm scale Tbolt looks so massive!

Now here’s the weird part. I used this image with my iPad to mock up the size of the two models. 

Now if I put my tanks on top of them the bigger LR fits better does it not? There’s a parallax error but the bigger LR is almost spot on. 

Your thoughts? I know that 40k vehicle models are designed small for gameplay purposes and that IRL a land raider isn’t appreciably smaller than some houses. This makes eyeballing vehicle sizes from the FW site
hard!

Excellent work!

With regards to length, I have the feeling the bigger one is very slightly too long while the smaller one slightly too short. At the same time the pictures are not exactly aligned and there is some optical distorsion. The sponsons make it also bulkier. Hard to tell. More pictures along the 3 dimensions are required I think.

Does this picture indicate theoretical measurements? If yes, I would use the similar plate of the Reaver in the rule book and put both next to each other, ensuring the scale matches. That would give a "benchmark". I would then scale the combined picture so as to have a 1-to-1 ratio between the Reaver in the picture and the actual model (knowing it remains an approximation due to the model's pose). Or I would put all the theoretical measurements (lengths, widths, heights) into excel and calculate ratios.

Keeping the "small size for gameplay" in mind, how does the width and height of the printed LRs compare with the one in the picture of the 3 models?

I know I would likely print the picture, take a ruler to draw multiple lines and take measurements and annotate it before going to excel and compute ratios.

I resprayed my resin WL guns because the paint wasn't really grabbing. I thought I got a good layer of Rustoleum primer on there but both layer and contrast paints were just beading up on the surface instead of laying flat. Granted it was pretty cold that day but the plastics I sprayed at the same time are working fine. Welp, I hope these very expensive guns come out okay.

Sounds to me like they could do with another wash? Let us know how it goes in the end :)

I magnetized all missile launchers of my knights.

I’d be interested to see how you did that.

My guess is using 1x1mm magnets. The knights' carapaces have already a 1mm diameter hole on top. So likely removing the peg at the bottom of the missile pod (assuming there is one as I haven't it yet), drilling a 1x1mm hole and inserting the magnets. At least that is how I would do it for the missile pods and how I did it for adding a Chaos icon.

gallery_116407_14938_73657.jpg

@ Dark Bjoern, please let us know how you did it.

Exactly like that. But i used 1,5x1mm magnets.

How the hell do you glue in 1mm magnets?

The bigger of the two LRs is 45mm long from track to track and the smaller is 41mm while the Rhinos are 33mm. That picture is official from GW meant to show the scale of the FW Primaris grav tank down at the bottom but I was only interested in the Rhino, LR, and Baneblade (I will be printing a 10mm scale Shadowsword to be Perturabo's Tormentor).

To make the titans more titanic it's tempting to make all of my vehicles and infantry 6mm scale but if/when GW does 8mm Epic I think we are all going to be astonished at how huge those tanks will be. The AI stuff is jarring how big it is compared to a Warlord or Reaver and the Tbolt isn't much smaller than a bloody Warhound. I think I may end up going with the bigger LR and make the Baneblade to the same proportions because that's actually how it's supposed to be. The 40k 28mm LR isn't terribly larger than a Rhino but it's supposed to be absolutely massive so that's a gameplay consideration, a Crusader can fit like 8 terminators without the lascannon batteries. Maybe I should make all of my vehicles the appropriate scale even though my 40k perspective is telling me to go with the smaller LR? Why is this so hard? When I line up the LRs next to the Warlord's point defense lascannons the bigger one looks more appropriate.

Using the dimensions from a Wiki and the ratio I started with my Baneblade would be 65mm long which is longer than a Dreadnought base. Hmmmmm...

I started shading the resin guns last night after another healthy spray and it's better but there's still areas where the paint beads up. I really sloshed some contrast gray on there so it'll take some drybrushing to clean up, I thought I scrubbed the resin well enough but I have heard of people soaking them in diet Coke to dissolve the lubricant.

Edited by Fajita Fan

Today I exchanged 3 Reavers for 4 Warhounds (Legio Audax begins!) and a pair of weapon sprues to make more Warlord gatling blasters and maybe turn a couple of Reaver arm laserblasters into Warlord turbolasers.  

I'm printing this nuclear power station, the cooling tower is going now and I'll probably do the complex on Saturday.  I've got it scaled to be as tall as a Warlord

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1374215

d933aa8fb208c58a08aa159a50f480b7_preview

Edited by Fajita Fan

Cool terrain project, Fajita! Given how wet draft towers often rise to 100-200 meters, that one might feel a bit small. Here's a pic from Westfalen, Germany:

1062px-Power_station_Westfalen._Cooling_

The forced draft towers on the left are 34 m, pretty much Warlord size, whereas the natural draft on the right is 122 m. Some perspective :P

Yesterday I painted a super heavy company to support my Death Guard on epicalypse fields, but it might be fun to try them as counts-as knights in AT too. 10th Bavarian, roll out.

1036440_sm-.JPG

1036441_sm-.JPG

1036443_sm-.JPG