Today in Titanicus I...

Today in Titanicus I started playing around with 1250 point lists as a gaming buddy is looking to start Legio Fureans with a Battleforce. This means:

1. I’ve got some motivation to get back to my Krytos painting project

2. I might actually get a game in.

I think I’ve settled on my list (Two Warlords and a Warhound to avoid a mirror match and to cut down on painting), but there are some interesting things you can do at 1250 points, including six Warhounds (mainly with bolters) or four Reavers in addition to the standard Battleforce list.

Looking forward to getting my Maniple ready.

Dallo

What mat are you guys using to play in a GW store? I was told I can't bring my 4'x4' asphalt mat because it's not a GW product when GW doesn't actually sell a mat.  They used to sell something called the "City Ruin" mat which is a hideous 28mm scale 4'x4' and OOP so I can't use a GW product they don't sell. 

I can't wait till GW starts their Citadel Snacks line of refreshments and they prohibit outside Pepsis.

Edited by Fajita Fan

Does anyone have an updated review of our new Knights after all the sky falling prophecies when they were released :biggrin.:

I played a 2000 pt game a couple of weeks ago with 1 acastus on my side (me & another player with 1000 pts each) and 2 on the other. In the first turn, one of the enemy acastus evaporated a banner of 3 questoris knights and then got terminated with extreme prejudice. My own acastus dealt the killing blow. These little guys are tough and it took a lot of firepower to drop it. The next turn, my acastus got shaken by a quake cannon shot and spent the rest of the game wandering around and achieving nothing, largely because of the penalty to hit and my inability to pass a command check. The other enemy acastus basically did nothing. Either couldn't get line of sight or my reaver passed a ludicrous number of 4+ void saves. This was on a table with rather less cover than I was happy with.

My overall impression was that they're very reliant on orders for their accuracy. That hampers their manoeuverability, which means it can be difficult to get them decent lines of sight to prime targets. They are tough little blighters and I do think they're still undercosted. Just no where nearly as dangerous as some of the hype would have you believe.

Also, I read facebook post suggesting that each template should be fully resolved before placing the next one. The implication being that blast templates each hit a different location. I haven't reread the blast rules yet to see if I agree with the interpretation. It would really rein in acastus, & also plasma blastguns.

Meanwhile, TIAT I took delivery of my new Feldherr box. My venator maniple can now travel in style! Instead of balanced precariously on top of the rules box.

Does anyone have an updated review of our new Knights after all the sky falling prophecies when they were released :biggrin.:

I played a 2000 pt game a couple of weeks ago with 1 acastus on my side (me & another player with 1000 pts each) and 2 on the other. In the first turn, one of the enemy acastus evaporated a banner of 3 questoris knights and then got terminated with extreme prejudice. My own acastus dealt the killing blow. These little guys are tough and it took a lot of firepower to drop it. The next turn, my acastus got shaken by a quake cannon shot and spent the rest of the game wandering around and achieving nothing, largely because of the penalty to hit and my inability to pass a command check. The other enemy acastus basically did nothing. Either couldn't get line of sight or my reaver passed a ludicrous number of 4+ void saves. This was on a table with rather less cover than I was happy with.

My overall impression was that they're very reliant on orders for their accuracy. That hampers their manoeuverability, which means it can be difficult to get them decent lines of sight to prime targets. They are tough little blighters and I do think they're still undercosted. Just no where nearly as dangerous as some of the hype would have you believe.

Also, I read facebook post suggesting that each template should be fully resolved before placing the next one. The implication being that blast templates each hit a different location. I haven't reread the blast rules yet to see if I agree with the interpretation. It would really rein in acastus, & also plasma blastguns.

Meanwhile, TIAT I took delivery of my new Feldherr box. My venator maniple can now travel in style! Instead of balanced precariously on top of the rules box.

That post is rubbish, then. A multidice Blast weapon is still only one weapon and hits a singular target as per the rules BUT each blast is rolled for separately in "to hit" because of scattering. This basically means that you shoot X blasts, can cause some hits on multiple targets after rolling a ton of hits ans scatters, total up how many each target took and make a single separate roll for each target. Say you fire a 4 Dice blast, hit dead on twice and scatter one blast on top on another target. Now the first target, under the hole, takes four hits that all hit the same location. After resolving those in their entirety, the other target also suffers two hits where we roll the location another time. It's just a longwinded way to say "it would be silly if I rolled four attacks at once and all misses went to the same direction, right?" without overriding any normal properties of firing a singular weapon.

Edited by Sherrypie

That post is rubbish, then. A multidice Blast weapon is still only one weapon and hits a singular target as per the rules BUT each blast is rolled for separately in "to hit" because of scattering. This basically means that you shoot X blasts, can cause some hits on multiple targets after rolling a ton of hits ans scatters, total up how many each target took and make a single separate roll for each target. Say you fire a 4 Dice blast, hit dead on twice and scatter one blast on top on another target. Now the first target, under the hole, takes four hits that all hit the same location. After resolving those in their entirety, the other target also suffers two hits where we roll the location another time. It's just a longwinded way to say "it would be silly if I rolled four attacks at once and all misses went to the same direction, right?" without overriding any normal properties of firing a singular weapon.

Having reread it last night I agree. There's absolutely nothing in the combat or blast rules that suggests what was said on Facebook.

TIAT I started on the purple parts of my very first knight of House Orhlacc. So I have at least decided on that. I'll leave the decision on the legio for when I buy my first titan. 

Your painting is really nice from your Instagram, you should make a thread.  I also have a Custodes army to assemble and GSC army to finish assembling and paint!

Wow, continued painting that first knight...and ran into problems. First of all, Genestealer purple, while a great-looking colour, is a pain to paint. it's almost like a gel and won't really cover. It behaves a lot like my Scale 75 colours. Need to find a workaround here.

Then, there's the thing with knight heraldry. I had started to paint the body armour with highlights, was happily creating colour transitions, when I realized that this is a knight, with quite a bit of heraldry on many plates. While Orhlacc might have less than other houses, they still use it. 

So I need to correct my painting steps: block in heraldry colours first, then highlight the different sections appropriately. 

Maybe I'll have a pic ready in the next couple of days with some progress.