Discussion on the new C:SM & Possible BT supplement

Our favorite mole's just received fresh intel : it would seem GW has decided to hasten the release schedule of PA tomes.

So for us, instead of "late november/early december", read "late november".

I wonder which brand of Chaos would face us... my money is on the Emperor's Children, because 1/ it's very much anticipated 2/ they're one of the "four warlord tales" 3/ it might tie in somewhat with tome 1, since Slaanesh and Eldars stories are so entertwined.

I don't know of any specific lore that pits us agains the EC, however, Word Bearers, mh... it also makes sense thematically. I mean, they are religious fanatics who wanted to worship the Emperor.

Yet we never had much of intersection with them. I think the only time BT had a major beef with Traitor Legions was the whole Abaddon thing. Throughout the lore BT were primarily fighting xenos

I dont think there'll be EC in the same book as us, I doubt they'll push a cult legion without updating their infantry and bringing their Primarch into the tabletop and the big release for Christmas this year is Sisters of Battle so if EC are in this campaign then they might be next year. I think this will just be Word Bearers or an assortment of traitors, they still havent released Obliterators or the rumored Sorcerer so this campaign is the best opportunity to get those kits out while SoB get their first release and we get an upgrade kit or something.

I don't know of any specific lore that pits us agains the EC, however, Word Bearers, mh... it also makes sense thematically. I mean, they are religious fanatics who wanted to worship the Emperor.

Yet we never had much of intersection with them. I think the only time BT had a major beef with Traitor Legions was the whole Abaddon thing. Throughout the lore BT were primarily fighting xenos

1. Arch Trator are always the main enemy

2. Fall of Cadia

3. First crusade

4. Vigilus

5. In  Lucius were mentioned that he fighted several Emperors Champions

6. Dan Abnett Comics were we fighting the Thousand Sons

7. Can remember a storyline against Alpha Legion were BT destroyed the whole planet.

8. Words of blood / against Chaos cultists

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Black_Templars

there a few crusades listed

especially in 2. and 3. we had absolutly key roles

Edited by Medjugorje

If we get a Primaris character I hope it's a new thing completely independent of all our current characters. If it's a Primaris EC I really, really want them to include updated rules for the old EC as well. Failing that, just don't give us any Primaris this go. I know Sete is going to really dislike me for hoping this, but if we lose the old EC in favor of  a Primaris one then I dont' get to field the EC anymore. That would really suck. I want one more full book where I can play my army properly before I have to shelve it.

Hopefully it's the best of both worlds and we get both a Primaris EC and an old marine one, that way everyone can be happy. But eh. One or the other of us probably won't be.

Zero chance of them having two versions of the Emperor's champion in the book. None. The data sheet will be called "The Emperor's Champion" and will continue to be a special character. If it's updated, it will have better stats, and the word Primaris will be among the Keywords, but that'll be the extent of the changes.

Honestly, if it changes, it just means you need to "counts as" the fact that your old marine is now the new one. It's pretty much the reverse to that of my situation where I need to "counts as" my converted EC as the old one. That's a pretty minor inconvenience

I mean there is primaris chaplains, lieutenant, captains and librarians. I dont see why they cant to a primaris EC.

And to those of us who have characters riding shotgun with squads making him a primaris suddenly is more than a minor inconvencience

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

Zero chance of them having two versions of the Emperor's champion in the book. None. The data sheet will be called "The Emperor's Champion" and will continue to be a special character. If it's updated, it will have better stats, and the word Primaris will be among the Keywords, but that'll be the extent of the changes.

Honestly, if it changes, it just means you need to "counts as" the fact that your old marine is now the new one. It's pretty much the reverse to that of my situation where I need to "counts as" my converted EC as the old one. That's a pretty minor inconvenience

Primaris can't ride in LR Crusaders or Drop Pods. But more importantly, i can't play Primaris. Their existence in the fluff and mechanics upset me, and while I don't take that out on friends of mine who like them, I can't touch them. It's just the way I'm wired. I get deep in the gut feelings about things, and it can take me years to shift my opinion on them. I try not to bring this up as often as I initially did, as the Primaris vs Old Marine debate is one that has played itself out, but man. Just one last book for my Old Marines, then next book, let the new generation have their Primaris. I'll move on to something else and Templars can become whatever it is their next incarnation is without me.

Primaris can't ride in LR Crusaders or Drop Pods.

That's a fair point, you're right. The rest is just subjective feeling, which I will not comment upon.

I'm just gonna say I'm not even convinced there will be an EC update, but if there is, I really think there is no reason to think it won't be as I laid out above.

A Warlord Trait that gives + to charge distance and a stratagem that prevents fallback can make our Terminator Sword Brethren rather nasty. Drop a Terminator Marshal in with them, get a reliable charge from Deep Strike, and then stop the enemy from running away and just shooting you.

No running would be a significant boost to our lethality.

The problem with Reivers is that they're S4. Sure, auto-wounding on 6s would be nice, but 4 attacks per model just isn't enough for their price at S4 to be worth it. If we could take Reivers as Troops, or if we didn't have to dedicate an HQ (Chaplain/rumored Warlord Trait) to give them the extra charge distance, I'd like them a lot more but as they are right now they just don't cut the mustard.

Even if it's just infantry the ability to use things like Imperial Guardsmen against the Guard player as a shield again would be very welcome.

against tau we would still being helpless. (and btw - I hate tau )

Fair point!

Why are people eager to give intercessors a chainsword, then? Seems to be Reivers to me.

Rule of cool? Added special weapons?

1. Rule of cool

2. Sword Brethren with Thunder Hammer and lots of normal attacks because of Chainswords

3. Troopchoice.