Pyschic Awakening: Speculation

Triszin

Seen as whats been said (or not!) about the sisters release... I'm going to wait till the reviews are out on the other books before picking them up... and only if they help either of my two armies (Sisters & Craftoworld). 

Having said that I am happy with book 1 with the DIY craftworld rules (although 1 of the psychic powers is currently in need of an errata so it can be used... there are 2  interpretations of RAI & RAW helps the enemy not the caster...)

I mainly read for the fluff. I gave book 1 a pass as it seemed both uninteresting and insignificant.

Mostly looking forward to PA 3 Blood of Baal but book 2 might be interesting fluff wise as well, I expect to pick that up.

But having said that, in terms of new model releases, its nice that people get Mephiston and a Chaos sorcerer but that doesn't really live up to what they projected they would do. But then that is often the case with the overhyping. Personally I really don't see why they aren't bringing back one or two more Primarchs the next few months, people have been clamoring for it, they would sell well, it can easily be fitted into the narrative...but they choose not to.

I mainly read for the fluff. I gave book 1 a pass as it seemed both uninteresting and insignificant.

Mostly looking forward to PA 3 Blood of Baal but book 2 might be interesting fluff wise as well, I expect to pick that up.

But having said that, in terms of new model releases, its nice that people get Mephiston and a Chaos sorcerer but that doesn't really live up to what they projected they would do. But then that is often the case with the overhyping. Personally I really don't see why they aren't bringing back one or two more Primarchs the next few months, people have been clamoring for it, they would sell well, it can easily be fitted into the narrative...but they choose not to.

Actually it is just what they said they would do.

They laid out their plans on a twitch stream, stating that not every faction would get the same treatment.

In fairness to Taliesin, they also made this out to be the biggest thing since sliced bread. It is understandable that there is a disconnect between expectations and reality (especially when what the BT are getting is coming straight off the SM dex + supplements, so there is inevitably going to be a comparison there).

As I've said in a few places now, my expectations for PA are pretty low now. But a Sorcerer & set of new rules for WB would make me a happy chap. I don't expect PA to bring CSM up to parity with SM, just looking for some flavour to add to my lists.

I expected as much from their usual hype-talk to be honest. They always blow the importance and greatness of everything out of proportion. Unless there's a change during or after Volume 4, it seems to me that the Volumes will be rather rapid fire and most of them will not be paired with models for everyone involved. I'm personally more interested in what releases Psychic Awakening might set up for next year and beyond.

With that said, the new plastic Sorcerer will be most welcomed, and I'll admit that I'm pretty excited about the possibility of a new Ghaz, as well as what his reappearance might entail.

In fairness to Taliesin, they also made this out to be the biggest thing since sliced bread. It is understandable that there is a disconnect between expectations and reality (especially when what the BT are getting is coming straight off the SM dex + supplements, so there is inevitably going to be a comparison there).

As I've said in a few places now, my expectations for PA are pretty low now. But a Sorcerer & set of new rules for WB would make me a happy chap. I don't expect PA to bring CSM up to parity with SM, just looking for some flavour to add to my lists.

Did they though? Or is it more the fanbase that started setting unrealistic expectations ?

Did they though? Or is it more the fanbase that started setting unrealistic expectations ?

I'd call setting up a sub-site purely for Psychic Awakening making out that is a pretty big thing... when you consider one of the other sub-sites they've done is the apocalypse one.....

The videos & stories are designed to create hype the same as they did for vigilus & the few character SM models they've released....

I expected as much from their usual hype-talk to be honest. They always blow the importance and greatness of everything out of proportion. Unless there's a change during or after Volume 4, it seems to me that the Volumes will be rather rapid fire and most of them will not be paired with models for everyone involved. I'm personally more interested in what releases Psychic Awakening might set up for next year and beyond.

With that said, the new plastic Sorcerer will be most welcomed, and I'll admit that I'm pretty excited about the possibility of a new Ghaz, as well as what his reappearance might entail.

I don't think that's strictly fair; as recently as a month or two ago you (& others, myself included) were definitely under the impression that PA was going to be bigger than it currently appears to be. It was only once the limited nature of PA1's releases were confirmed - and the story turned out to add nothing to the setting, let alone solve decades-old mysteries as GW had claimed - that a sense of "business as usual" descended over the hype train. Let's not go claiming prescience after the fact.

At least, I suppose, we can be thankful that they didn't attempt to compare their work to FW's campaign books this time around. :P

You tell me buddy

Psychic Awakening is a monumental event that will shape Warhammer 40,000 forever, on a scale unlike anything you’ve ever seen before

I prefer this quote 

it’s going to shake things up across the galaxy with ramifications for every faction in the 41st Millennium.

At least that gives us a little bit of hope that theres a lot more to come!

from the 1st page of the subsite...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/09/06/psychic-awakening-the-galaxy-stirs/

They directly compared it with the Horus Heresy and the 13th Black Crusade. So yes, they did.

I don't think that's strictly fair; as recently as a month or two ago you (& others, myself included) were definitely under the impression that PA was going to be bigger than it currently appears to be. It was only once the limited nature of PA1's releases were confirmed - and the story turned out to add nothing to the setting, let alone solve decades-old mysteries as GW had claimed - that a sense of "business as usual" descended over the hype train. Let's not go claiming prescience after the fact.

At least, I suppose, we can be thankful that they didn't attempt to compare their work to FW's campaign books this time around. :tongue.:

Eh, fair enough. Although to be fair to myself I could've worded that better, as it was not so much an upfront expectation but an underlying suspicion. And to be fair to GW too, we still haven't seen where the narrative goes beyond the first Volume. It's true that Phoenix Rising didn't reveal or solve much beyond the location of the last Cronesword, and as a first impression that's rather underwhelming, but for the moment I say we should give them the benefit of the doubt on the narrative department until we've got more to judge.

But from a model standpoint, the first wave with Jain Zar, Drazhar and their troops was great. Even if the box as a whole wasn't great, the models themselves are, imho. But the Volumes being released at a fast pace means most of them won't see that kind of model release, which is rather sad. But hopefully next year sees a change of either pace or scale with Ghaz and Ragnar and what may come after them. If I remember correctly, AoS with Malign Portents didn't really kick into high gear in the release department either until well into the narrative, so let's hope it happens to Psychic Awakening too.

CSM had their 15 min of fame last summer when the lord discordant was released.

CSM had their 15 min of fame last summer when the lord discordant was released.

A fantastic wave of kits. Awesome models. Didn't fix any of the fundamental problems with the army, though, did it? We can't stand on our own two feet against loyalist SM following their new book. CSM fans are right to want a proper rules update. Let's not get into puerile territory where fandoms are comparing the primacy of their wishlists

Edited by Marshal Loss

I'm on the same page to be honest...most of what people here seem to have expected and are now disappointed at not getting I've not seen anywhere from GW but only in forum speculation. If I had a euro for every time I've seen the words "Black Templar" written here in the past few weeks with all kinds of wishlisting attached my next kit would probably be paid for.

As for the impact on the universe...we're getting to book 2 out of an as of yet unknown number. I'd say it's far too early to make that kind of final judgement.

Edited by sairence

The thing is, the event itself CAN have huge impacts on the universe of 40K AND have absolutely zero model support. One doesn’t require the other.

If all someone wanted was new models, this particular event may not be for them, and GW still didn’t lie about the event. I don’t recall them ever saying “each faction depicted in the story will get three six new units, three of which will be characters” or anything like that.

We don’t actually know where this will lead, or what will ultimately be revealed. It’s a bit early to say the story has failed to be “‘uuuuuuuuge!” when we’ve only gotten the first chapter of it.

Personally, I doubt it will be that big or have that much in the way of revelations - I’d actually prefer that it didn’t.

Rumours went from box sets, to nada. Great ride.

Exactly, man, RUMORS - no one has GW to blame that on - the ride was self-inflicted, just like rumor waves always are. There were no pictures or GW announcements of any of what you talked about, so if anyone got themselves hyped over them, the fall and sudden stop at the end is self-inflicted.

Everyone else got:

1. Rules in a supplement
  2. A new upgrade sprue
  3. A new character

CF got:

1. Rules in a supplement
  2. A new upgrade sprue
  3. No new character

BT will get:

1. Rules in a more expensive campaign book
  2. No new upgrade sprue
  3. No new character

So with everyone else scoring 3 on my admittedly arbitrary list here (with the exception oif CF who still got 2), it still paints a stark contrast when BT gets none of those things. I don't think anyone could be faulted for thinking GW'd just be a little more... let's call it evenhanded, when distributing the new shinies? I mean really? It also begs the question why they'd even put any kind of narrative of focus on us, I find it baffling why they didn't stick us in with the IF supplement. Yes it'd end up a half dozen pages thicker, but it'd also sell a few more copies. 

Regardless, none of the rumours originated here, nor did any of us influence these reliable rumor mongers to suddenly change their tune.

Back on topic of speculation, I wonder who will feature caracther wise on BT side.

If this is the fleet that departed Terra, i do not think any of the BT chars will be part of this crusade.

Helbrecth was chasing Ghaz when he encoutered Guilliman, so its unlikely that the Eternal Crusader is part of the muster.

Guys, BT isn’t getting a separate supplement out of this campaign - if you were expecting Psychic Awakening to produce a BT supplement and the accompanying models that have come out with them, you miss-hyped yourself, yes, yes you did. A campaign book series over different battlegrounds and activities is not the same as the six Chapter/Legion bloodline supplements. Psychic Awakening didn’t promise you a BT supplement. GW didn’t promise you a BT supplement. There was never a promise that BT were getting any characters or anything else. Y’all managed to get yourselves worked up, and now you are angry about it - which only YOU did.

GW may not have included BT in any of the current supplements because they want the option to focus on them separately later and didn’t think locking a somewhat disparate play method in for them now was the way to go.

As far as speculation goes, my prediction is that only deaths of minor characters or characters able to be easily resurrected in some way will occur, and the stories will simply lead us back to the Vigilus time frame, so galaxy-changing events in areas already highlighted in that campaign won’t occur, and any “revelations” made will likely be shallow - and no Primarchs will be coming back in this series.

Guys, BT isn’t getting a separate supplement out of this campaign - if you were expecting Psychic Awakening to produce a BT supplement and the accompanying models that have come out with them, you miss-hyped yourself, yes, yes you did. A campaign book series over different battlegrounds and activities is not the same as the six Chapter/Legion bloodline supplements. Psychic Awakening didn’t promise you a BT supplement. GW didn’t promise you a BT supplement. There was never a promise that BT were getting any characters or anything else. Y’all managed to get yourselves worked up, and now you are angry about it - which only YOU did.

GW may not have included BT in any of the current supplements because they want the option to focus on them separately later and didn’t think locking a somewhat disparate play method in for them now was the way to go.

As far as speculation goes, my prediction is that only deaths of minor characters or characters able to be easily redirected in some way will occur, and the stories will simply lead us back to the Vigilus time frame, so galaxy-changing events in areas already highlighted in that campaign won’t occur, and any “revelations” made will likely be shallow - and no Primarchs will be coming back in this series.

Which is fine, but it's not the galaxy changing revelations we were promised, or the answers to long held mysteries. All if this would have been fine, if GW had said they were releasing a series of background books to flesh out the dark millennium more, and that's it. Spot on. But they promised more.

Speculation as to what happens next : something mundane. Two characters meet, they fight for a bit, but neither is killed.

GW corporate should really sit down with the marketing team, the fake hype beasting has to stop for such a thin release cycle that is PA. Comparing this to HH etc was over bold for sure. If they were more chill and understated, we would be expecting less and not be as disappointed.