+++THE LIBER ASTARTES SWAP CHALLENGE 2019 - PHASE 1+++

Brother Cambrius

If y'all want a taste of what I AM doing right now in the hobby faction-wise, I'm doing Call of Chaos. Got nearly 2k of Word Bearers already (thanks to some repainting and conversion work on my Death Guard stuff) and I'm waiting to go for a paint run and get some more Gal Vorbak and Leadbelcher.

I wish I'd just done my Word Bearers Chapter instead.

Well do Word Bearers then. :tu: Sure whoevers running this event wont mind you switching considering you have not even started yet. Or PM me if you wanna bounce a few ideas around for your loyalists to try get your mojo back. 

Ugh, having second thoughts. I love my DIY chapter, and all the submissions so far are pretty cool too, but I feel my painting skills will not suffice. I would love to see an Imperial Shield painted well but I could never give back an alright level of detail...

Brothers - this is the Liber Astartes Swap Challenge -  writer's block and fear of painting are your enemies, the foes you must overcome to gain eternal glory.

Note, however, that you never have to face these foes alone. Lean on your B&C family for inspiration and advice when you need it - for this is the Way of The Liber. :happy.:

There is no shame in getting stuck or feeling overwhelmed - writing a fully-fledged, 100% complete and refined article is a lot of work! ( And technically a lot more than the LASC requires.  Remember you only need 500 words total or so, basically a brief overview that can be developed later at your leisure :ph34r.: ) Coming to the realisation of the sheer scale of work involved, and being concerned about doing it in a time limit, is an entirely normal experience here in the Liber.

Some of us old hands, though, we tend to aim for The Complete IA right out of the gate, from simple force of habit. :laugh.:

Or in my case, because this is something I should have done years ago. :sweat: 

A lot of this advice translates into the painting stage as well.

I'm personally worried about getting some of the Chapters/Warbands on offer simply because they have colours that I can't easily reproduce, or symbols that are FAR beyond my ability to paint (basically I cannot do freehand AT ALL, despite years of attempts).

Whichever faction I get, I'll be doing the basic colours (or the closest approximation I can get) and maybe a wash and/or drybrush, depending on what works best. At the end, it'll be a model with paint on it. I can't promise anything more than that! :laugh.:

I obviously can't speak for everyone, but I'll be absolutely thrilled to see someone else painting a White Hawk, regardless of how well or badly it turns out! :biggrin.:

TL;DR: Stay the course, brothers, and ask for help and/or advice if you need it. We're all in this together.:happy.:

Brothers - this is the Liber Astartes Swap Challenge -  writer's block and fear of painting are your enemies, the foes you must overcome to gain eternal glory.

Note, however, that you never have to face these foes alone. Lean on your B&C family for inspiration and advice when you need it - for this is the Way of The Liber. :happy.:

There is no shame in getting stuck or feeling overwhelmed - writing a fully-fledged, 100% complete and refined article is a lot of work! ( And technically a lot more than the LASC requires.  Remember you only need 500 words total or so, basically a brief overview that can be developed later at your leisure :ph34r.: ) Coming to the realisation of the sheer scale of work involved, and being concerned about doing it in a time limit, is an entirely normal experience here in the Liber.

Some of us old hands, though, we tend to aim for The Complete IA right out of the gate, from simple force of habit. :laugh.:

Or in my case, because this is something I should have done years ago. :sweat:

A lot of this advice translates into the painting stage as well.

I'm personally worried about getting some of the Chapters/Warbands on offer simply because they have colours that I can't easily reproduce, or symbols that are FAR beyond my ability to paint (basically I cannot do freehand AT ALL, despite years of attempts).

Whichever faction I get, I'll be doing the basic colours (or the closest approximation I can get) and maybe a wash and/or drybrush, depending on what works best. At the end, it'll be a model with paint on it. I can't promise anything more than that! :laugh.:

I obviously can't speak for everyone, but I'll be absolutely thrilled to see someone else painting a White Hawk, regardless of how well or badly it turns out! :biggrin.:

TL;DR: Stay the course, brothers, and ask for help and/or advice if you need it. We're all in this together.:happy.:

Aye, aye!

I (hopefully) will be able to finish both remaining IA's (Dawn Blades and Omega Cohort) by the end of the month, plus mock up a chapter badge for the Thunder Coyotes, as well as a proper primaris paint scheme--they are otherwise 'done' though I am sure I will be revisiting them.

I'm going to try and challenge myself on the painting, too, so someone is gonna have to teach me how to edge highlight properly....

Well it seems some veterans of the Liber said exactly what I was going to say, well said, Ace and co!

Now let us clear some things up, brothers and sister:

=][= +++ This event is in no way a "who is better than who" challenge, whether in terms of writing or in terms of painting and modelling. +++ =][=

This event is about camaraderie, supporting your fellow members and Liberites in writing about their Chapter/Warband and increasing the bonds of friendship online as a result, with a fun challenge at the end to see these creations in the plastic by the new year's turn. :)

Now I myself have been very much behind in commenting and working on my own vows with work and other commitments beyond the server, but I have read through and observed the life and creation of such fantastic articles/entries being made and the activity go up tenfold in the Liber. It's warmed my hearts to see it and I am proud to be a Moderati of this section of the B&C.

We still have a full month to go before Phase 1 ends, and I will need to pull my own finger out to complete my Vanquishers and my Primaris and Chaos entries. I am sure we can all do this! United we stand. Divided we fall.

Cambrius

quick question, 

when we get assigned a chapter, will it be FRATER A and FRATER B get each others chapter, or will it be more along the lines of FRATER A gets FRATER C's chapter, FRATER C gets FRATER F's, and so on.

The latter. As we get closer to the start of Phase 2 I'll line out the procedure etc for everyone. :)

Cambrius

I'm starting to feel bad. I hope everyone realizes that I know my scheme is difficult. It was chosen because it was something I enjoy and I'm learning how to paint it myself for my Imperial Fists successors, the Argent Fists. I do not expect anyone to paint their miniature to my own standards or above. I'm just happy to be here and have more incentive to build more background for my chapter. Something I'll be happy to share with others and that they will hopefully enjoy it in the years to come. It would be especially awesome if I get the army previewed in White Dwarf in the future. But that is a side goal.

Regardless, everyone is doing a great job and I'm looking forward to challenging my meager painting skills. We can do this! 

Edited by Aothaine

I'm starting to feel bad. I hope everyone realizes that I know my scheme is difficult.

Don't feel bad - every set of heraldry provides its' own challenges! :happy.:

For example, forcing people to paint almost a whole model in white armour - a colour that can be notoriously hard to do well!

Also the Argent Fists look pretty neat. :thumbsup:

Quartered schemes don't get nearly enough respect. :biggrin.:

I'm scared. Even if I finish my article, I may be paired with a scheme I cannot truly do justice.

Edit: By the way, whoever gets me will literally just have to paint up a Word Bearer. No difference. It's all fluff.

You'll do fine. All you have to do is the best you can. That is justice enough:yes:

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

Honestly, my painting isnt very good either. However, I've always had fun with exchange challenges, because I try to pull out all the stops for other people. I had a company champion from fw that i planned to use as a captain, however during a secret Santa event, I used it instead for a lieutenant and used alot of my favorite bits for it. Its fun to try to make the best for other people, and even though it might not be as good as other people's, I know that I tried my hardest !

So at the end, as long as you know you put effort into the project, that should be enough!

Edited by jbaeza94

Guys, calm down. Every atempted scheme will be better than mine for I only painted one single test model in a GW Store and that looked like a "nice try" Crimson Fist.

I don't collect, I don't paint, I don't play. Give me the most complex one already. :D

:P

I've had so much going on in RL (as per usual) I haven't even started on a couple of articles, let alone commented on any of the ones I have read.  And this is something I am often guilty of.  I hope to get more active in the next month but with writing obligations of a different kind coming up I am unsure how I will go.

Honestly, my painting isnt very good either. However, I've always had fun with exchange challenges, because I try to pull out all the stops for other people. I had a company champion from fw that i planned to use as a captain, however during a secret Santa event, I used it instead for a lieutenant and used alot of my favorite bits for it. Its fun to try to make the best for other people, and even though it might not be as good as other people's, I know that I tried my hardest !

So at the end, as long as you know you put effort into the project, that should be enough!

Well said. That pretty much sums it up.

So, no more of this talk of bad painting skills and writters block!

Everyone here knows they are bad at this, and everyone also knows that that is irrelevant! We are here to challenge ourselves. And noone who has mastered a craft can truly challenge themselves, after all.

So, lets not beat ourselves down anymore (myself included), and take the remaining 29 days to write the best possible index entries we can, before painting the worst looking, most loved, and hardest tried attempts at honoring the writting work of othes that we can!

:D

I think my Thunder Coyotes are complete! Drafting is in process for the Omega Cohort. Fortunately I already have a color scheme for them, so I won't have to puzzle over that so much.