Warhead01's Imperial Guard - Fredonian Assault Corps.

Warhead01

Update.

I managed to get the squad leader painted just now.
med_gallery_3442_16212_176434.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_268993.jpg
Again, craft paints mostly. Two dark blues a medium grey a black then brown then black again wash. Dark brown then medium grey drybrush on hat followed by the mentioned washes.
More or less the same as the conscripts chronologically. I did try to add a medium grey highlight on the coat exterior. Kinda like it. May give it one more brown wash, not in a rush to do that now. Need to paint the rest of the squad. Pleased so far.

And just for fun.

The INQ28-ovission

gallery_3442_16212_1351.jpg

gallery_3442_16212_33118.jpg

Really like the Grognards more than the Raumjagers kits. Brain working the second, may put more time into those to bring them in line with everything else.
Could easily ditch the Raumjagers for the ww1 germans at this point but I am worried I am just looking for justification to enable me to order that kit.:whistling:

The struggle is real! :wink:

The war efforts continue.

Update.

Hoho! The first Friedonian death squad (storm troopers) is picture ready!
Started building and green stuff work on the next batch last night.

med_gallery_3442_16212_82977.jpg

gallery_3442_16212_113257.jpg

And INQ28-ovission

gallery_3442_16212_124637.jpgThey came a liberators and left as heroes. Hail Hail Fredonia! famed battle cry.

Edited by Warhead01

Half way through the next squad of *Storm troopers. Ordered another box and 30 more entrenching tools today. Staggering my orders to carry me over to the next incoming order, don't want to just sit and wait with nothing to work on. 
Trying to plan out when to buy the cavalry model they may take 2 or more weeks to arrive. I guess I'll order them after the first and see what from what late arrivals show up next month before ordering anything else, hopefully. Stil excited about the WW1 germans kit but it doesn't have a definite release date that I have seen, just slated for next month. 

My good friend may be buying my AoS army. Hopefully, it's be good for me and they will be going to a good home and actually see a gaming table, unlike now. 

* Storm troopers or just cool Guardsmen. who knows.

Super weird afternoon.
My other friends are trying to talk me into starting Bolt Action. One friend sends me a link to an online store he like. That shop has wonderfully low prices but is said to be a little slow. 
However, and here's where it gets relevant. The have Victrix French Lancers! 24 bucks a box! (Planning on 3 boxes) that's a massive savings and are based in the US which will help with the shipping costs if not the shipping time. It's a massive savings. 
Will be ordering sooner than later for that price. Should still be able to order the Germans!  

Oh, and I've been watching a lot of the Great War and the last one I watched was talking about flying tactics and...Now I am thinking about biplanes. If I can find them large enough/ long enough. Only 3 though, or whats a full detachment 5 or 6? depends on what i can find and the costs. Slated for November December... 

Putting Primer on my Char 2c , the one that's too small. 

I need to remember White glue and super glue next time I'm out. 

Update.

I contacted the online shop with the discounted Victrix Cavalry and got a quick reply. Ordered 3 boxes this morning. that'll be the full 36. for the Death Riders Command, ride master and Commissar. Super good price even at 12 bucks shipping the price is a huge savings. 

I'll need more green stuff my tubes are finally running out. I have some other stuff I may try but wanted to wait and try it on the Tanks, when they arrive. 
Should have enough left for the next 20 Grognards. 
I feel like I am over spending on this project but still some how making my savings goals... super weird. I should hear back from my friend about the AoS army sale, one way or the other, next week. He either buys it or not. He wants Giants for AoS but also Orcs. H has trouble making up his mind. He's always starting new projects. Fingers crossed. haha Hope we get the war funds. 
I've built the Bolt Action Char 2c and nearly have it painted. Looks way bigger with paint. Still too small. I'm going to mock up my armour plates for the larger tanks ahead of time, if I get around to it. Having a predesigned template is probably the smart thing to do. so we'll see if the brain cells fire in unison or not.
I think I can squeak in the box of WW1 Germans this month. Hadn't planned on the Cavalry so my boxes are out of order but there may be a few weeks wait time..  
See I can justify just about anything.:sweat: 

Oh, admin note. 
The current Avatar is this man, August Von Makensen. 
I found him fairly interesting as a Calvery commander who modernized horse Cav for WW1, which was believed to be obsolete.
Funny enough it was more an introduction of combined arms units more than anything else and had the rest of the powers been paying attention things may have changed early on. (My own speculation based on the positive results of combined arms engagements later in the war.)  Very basically he supported the Cav with trucks full of guys and artillery. Easily done in 40K. All of this being such basic ideas in this modern era. 
That said Chimeras will be, at some point, introduced to my collection. Hope I stop at 4 or 5. Must keep the size of this collection manageable..... :whistling: 

Edited by Warhead01

The dog got me up early again today. I managed to get the squad I have been working on built before 0800 in the morning. Huzzah!
I tried a small conversion on the Sgt. this time. There is one pistol in hand on a right arm and one sword in hand on a right arm. this time I clipped the pistol hand off and found a different right arm , it had some funky special weapon in hand. No idea what kind of weapon it is, almost looks eldar. very odd. But the arm it self reaches across the chest so it is an interesting pose with the pistol. more character and a little action.
Was going to try to sort out the left arm so that the left hand was resting on the hilt of his sword, hanging at his belt but haven't made the attempt yet.

I'm considering an Ogryn body Guard for the field commander. I know Black Dagger games will have on on their Ebay site.
I really like these Grognards. It's a very easy kit to work with.

med_gallery_3442_16212_56251.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_158710.jpg

Edited by Warhead01

Very nice army! It will certainly be nice to see all of them finished :smile.:

Quick question: since you are using the sets from Wargames Atlantic, do they come with bases or is it just the actual sprues and you had to get bases elsewhere?

Thank you.

Both kits, Grongnards and Jaumjagers, neither came with bases but I had expected them to come with flat disk bases. Not sure if they were suppose to come wit them or not. I bought 200 25mm round bases from ebay at the start of this project. I knew the Victrix mini's would not have bases. Round bases in bulk cost next to nothing. 

I'd have to look at the WA site to see if they were suppose to come with bases or not. 

The WW1 Germans I am also looking at have bases as part of the model on the sprues.  

Very nice army! It will certainly be nice to see all of them finished :smile.:

Quick question: since you are using the sets from Wargames Atlantic, do they come with bases or is it just the actual sprues and you had to get bases elsewhere?

Thank you.

Both kits, Grongnards and Jaumjagers, neither came with bases but I had expected them to come with flat disk bases. Not sure if they were suppose to come wit them or not. I bought 200 25mm round bases from ebay at the start of this project. I knew the Victrix mini's would not have bases. Round bases in bulk cost next to nothing. 

I'd have to look at the WA site to see if they were suppose to come with bases or not. 

The WW1 Germans I am also looking at have bases as part of the model on the sprues.  

It wasn't a matter of cost, I was just wondering because the description in their website says nothing about bases and in a review I saw it was referred there were no bases (but it was a box sent for marketing so I wasn't sure if it was the case in normal orders).

From the images, the historical miniatures seem to have round/oval flat discs (WW1/Afghans).

I was thinking about getting the Jaumjagers and perhaps the Grognards for my own army and wondering if I had to order the bases from elsewhere.

From some quick math I did yesterday 240 Jaumjagers+240 bases from elsewhere are still cheaper than 100 Cadians :biggrin.:

I am tempted to get 10 boxes of each and never worry again with infantry to build, blowing the budget in one go but having lots of stuff to build.

Edited by GreenScorpion

Meant to reply sooner, sorry.
I agree! So way back before 05 I woke from a dream and had to have 300 Cadians. I got close. Got overwhelmed and sold them away. I find myself under a pile of kits and a switch seems to filp and I end full stop. If I didn't do that I would load up on WA kits for my hobby addiction. I'm thrilled that at this moment my IG is completely painted! It's really freeing. Just amazed that I have managed so much in such a short time. Maybe I'm getting smarter... haha.

Update.

New squad painted!
med_gallery_3442_16212_48720.jpg

med_gallery_3442_16212_50975.jpg
This puts me at 120 riflemen all painted!
Still have about 18 more to assemble and paint but may try something different with the next few. haven't decided yet.
I am not thrilled with how the Raumjagers were turning out and am planning to have a do over.

You mentioned before that you might get an ogryn bodyguard, are you going to do something specific it, like converting it to fit a similar aesthetic?

You are making very good/fast progress. In opposition my pile of shame keeps gathering dust in a different country :D

Although I did have some fun teaching my family how to build a few ones when I was home for Christmas.

About the grognards, you have built a few now, do the 3 body poses look repetitive in a large amount, or do the heads/gear/arms compensate in terms of variety?

The Orgyn, haven't exactly decided yet. The big thing is I would like a long coat and I know there are several 3rd party who make them but beyond that I want to be able to do the green stuff part, to match what I have already done. I know some bits sellers sell whole single ogryn. If I happen to see the one I like I'll try to get it. I'm not sure what the bodyguard should be equipped with yet.  
I guess the 3 bodies could be repetitive but I haven't gotten tired of them yet but that could be to just working on 10 models at a time and not being in a rush to get them done. I've just started to do conversions, working on a sword arm for the next squad leader right now.  I remember before some steel legion models really irked me to pain no idea why but I think I was stressed about getting them done and nothing was fast enough at that time. Headspace is important. I just recall being frustrated with having to paint a few of the poses not 100% sure why either. 
I have been really aware of how I buy too much too fast and have tried to balance that with a rolling project schedule so I have time between kits and don't feel like I am way behind. It probably doesn't hurt that I took 7 or more months away from the hobby and have no plans to play for a while still. I kinda did this when I started AoS and it worked really well for me. I really enjoy turning up to a game with a fully painted army. 
I think I got off point. sorry. 
Honestly, if I were to pain a whole army in one go I would fire up my air brush and cut a lot of corners early and just brush out the few things I had to by hand and be done with it, but I don't think it would look as good to me. The part I enjoy the least is building little tiny models. the bodies being 1 part and not two has worked just fine for me.  The heads all kinda sit differently on the bodies due the the gas masks I have made so it does make them look different enough to me, in almost an organic way, more natural. 

I asked about the ogryn mostly because I recall seeing nice things that would fit somewhat your army, example:
=][= Redacted by Inquisition =][=

EDIT: I added the images to avoid linking to 3d printing websites:

Legion Metal Ogre

Death Core Ogre

Mechanized Ogre

Although it would be some work, likely you can use greenstuff on the basic ogryns to get something that fits your other troops.

In my case I actually like the building part more than the painting, especially because I can get creative with mix and match of parts. Converting is great and except for a few built as the box refers, most of my troops are mostly unique.

In your photos repetition doesn't seem an issue, which was something I was afraid in terms of a bulk force, but obviously I wanted to see what you saw from your end, as you spend lots of time looking at them :biggrin.:

Since my renegades recruit from different places along the way I was thinking of having a mix of things from Wargames Atlantic to add some more variety (more systems recruited by Cornelivs Maximvs :biggrin.: ). Looking at the afghans I was thinking a feudal planet force would make sense. As I don't really build them to play, it makes no difference to me if their wargear would be seen as "legal" for whichever codex was chosen.

Likely one more year abroad and I should be able to return and get a permanent house somewhere in Portugal with enough space for my hobby stuff.

Out of curiosity, what kinds of vehicles are thinking about adding? You have the titan and you spoke about the char 2c, any other plans?

Edited by GreenScorpion
Removed links to 3D printing repositories per Forum Rules

I asked about the ogryn mostly because I recall seeing nice things that would fit somewhat your army, example:

=][= Redacted by Inquisition =][=

Although it would be some work, likely you can use greenstuff on the basic ogryns to get something that fits your other troops.

In my case I actually like the building part more than the painting, especially because I can get creative with mix and match of parts. Converting is great and except for a few built as the box refers, most of my troops are mostly unique.

In your photos repetition doesn't seem an issue, which was something I was afraid in terms of a bulk force, but obviously I wanted to see what you saw from your end, as you spend lots of time looking at them :biggrin.:

Since my renegades recruit from different places along the way I was thinking of having a mix of things from Wargames Atlantic to add some more variety (more systems recruited by Cornelivs Maximvs :biggrin.: ). Looking at the afghans I was thinking a feudal planet force would make sense. As I don't really build them to play, it makes no difference to me if their wargear would be seen as "legal" for whichever codex was chosen.

Likely one more year abroad and I should be able to return and get a permanent house somewhere in Portugal with enough space for my hobby stuff.

Out of curiosity, what kinds of vehicles are thinking about adding? You have the titan and you spoke about the char 2c, any other plans?

On the Ogryns I kinkda like number 2 and 3 of the images you linked but would like 3 more if it looked more like number 2. if that's any idea of what I am thinking. Helmet of some kind and closed coat., Easier to put on the green stuff the way I want it. 

I do have a Site that does DkoK looking Orgyn bookmarked, not sure if they sell in single mini's though.  I think it's this one I was thinking of.

https://mortian.shop/product/heavy-ogre-1a-otto/

As far as repetition. I was working on painting professionally several years ago and would sit down with 45 or more mini's and just band them out over as few days as possible, maybe 3 to 5 days but it was super repetitive as there were always more.  I had a client with a massive back log of models. A really cool dude as well and a fantastic painter. 

I found that I prefer painting from 2 to 10 mini's and that's let me have solid productivity with out being too much. I give myself a week per squad but can Knock out a squad in a few days if I have nothing going on or just get into the zone.  

You gotta find what works best for you. I really only paint to a nice table top standard, no patience to do much more than that.

For you army I don't think you could go wrong with just buying a kit you like and check it out first hand. The cost is low enough to justify giving it a try...maybe.

I'm not really sure what I want for vehicles I had been looking a proxy models for Chimeras, I think it's by puppet wars. 

I will need some transports and hell hounds to support my Cavalry as well as artillery which I am looking at the BFG kit and some 1/35th scale model artillery as well.  

I'd like a Gorgon or the other large transport possibly but they aren't in my budget right now and will most likely be built from other models as a crazy kit bash if I can get it to work. 

I'd like some more aircraft as well but strictly bombers and fighters. I'm not really much of a modeler but if I found something to use as a Zeppelin I'd like that as a proxy Valkyrie. 

No expectations that will happen. Shame Valkyrie's don't also carry bombs. I'd be more interested in making something of my own if they did. 

I guess it doesn't really matter much until we see how the new points shake out.  No need to rush.

I do like these, a strong maybe.

https://mortian.shop/product/mortian-infantry-assault-vehicle/

https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-50/sci-fi/mankind/bits/other/ursus-chassis.html

Edited by duz_
Amended quote with Rules Violation

I think that mortian shop link is just one ogryn (with several weapon/head options), so yeah they do sell them individually. the packs of 3 are also available, but by default they are individually sold.

Just as a note, motivation is not an issue for me, building small guys and gals actually helped me deal with some stressful times, it is just that they are physically distant and bringing them to a small house during a likely temporary assignment abroad is something that I am not very comfortable with. So essentially I have been stockpiling on things that are relatively affordable, for when I actually return. I also have some materials for making some custom terrain and some large fixed artillery (some dense cardboard and plastics from crochet yarns to make a large barrel). I have some pictures of the fortress I was making with used matches, in case you were wondering how patient I am :D

I was looking into some historical vehicles, but it is often difficult to understand the dimensions of those kits, as few give reference sizes and those that do include barrels and stuff. I might get into 3d printing for some custom made stuff, as printers are getting cheap and a bit more user friendly.

For the WA kits I was thinking of ordering a few to Portugal, build a few during my vacation and perhaps ordering a few more. The vacation part has been the difficult one this year with flight restrictions and the cases still being high in Lisbon which is where I would fly to, combined with the fact that the buses to the Dublin airport are cancelled until July 31st, so I have no easy way to go to the airport and back (in Portugal my family could pick me up and leave at the airport on the way back).

I might swing the Ogyn next month. I still need to look at the plastic mini's, which I haven't given any thought to in a long time. Partly thinking about making one, some how, then making a latex mold to copy what ever I come up with but it's not really cost effective in the end. 
For historical tanks 1/56 is 28 mm ish but I think 1/48 is probably better because it's a little bigger. Years back I used a 1/35 scale Russian tank destroyer as a battle wagon, looked kinda cool but was super noobish.  Difficult to say what would be right there's a lot of digging to do to find anything. My Char's are going to have some time and effort put into them to make them look and feel the part. Hopefully it'll all work out. 

As for miniature away from home, I did my year in Afghanistan with a box of bitz to work on but never had the time to really do much. best I was able to do is paint a few blood bowl teams. 
My year in Korea before that was way better, I built and painted a bunch of Dark Angels and tried to work on some necrons but it was a weird situation. But I had a huge trunk to pack them all into to ship home. 
Would you believe I have some of the same plastic cones... 
Somewhere.

I'm thinking about doing more terrain, my good friend uses clip boards as a base for his buildings and I just discovered you can get small ones as well as the normal sized ones. Could be good. If I do I'll post what I get up to. 

Update.
8 out of 10 more Grognards in green stuff armor. 
Productivity! 

I'm just about to hit a break, a few washes left and some eye's to dot and squad number 4 is compete. Managed to get them build Saturday.  
I have 8 mini's left and am not really sure yet what to do with the remaining .  

Working  a trade. At first it was going to be for recast DKoK artillery but I had the thought there's a bunch of "new" SM mini's I don't have and might want. So I have traded for 2 of the new transport 1 of the new light dread a squad of The assault primaris guys and a started box for 9th edition when it drops. My friend can get a discount, good for him. haha.
I'm parting with some excess Ork stuff I have doubts I will ever use. Good for me. 

My friend has a friend casting a dwarf blimp of some kind. Says he'll try to get me the specks and maybe I can get a few, if it all works out. We'll see. 
No updates on the tanks or the rest of the Victrix mini's or the Cav. No big deal. I can wait. 
Will likely move ahead with ordering the Germans before the end of the month even though I don't expect them to arrive till July but am not sure.
information about 9th has me thinking more about 2nd and will likely try to field list that remind me of 2nd. A mix of stuff and not so much spam of one thing. Sorry Conscripts but it's not looking like I'll go past 90. Probably no need. 

I've discovered that I have not understood Scions at all. So I may have made a large mistake with my Grognards, having no special weapons at this point. 
Now I see that they always have their own doctrine. Oops.
Looks like I need 1 more box and a lot of special weapons . Plan to just make 20 with just specials 10 like my first 40, all rifles and should have enough for a command and character left over. Yikes, that escalated quickly.  Not really excited with most of the special weapons in the Grognards kit probably have to look at shapeways or something, maybe just a bitz story. 
Kinda not looking forward to how much that's going to cost. 

In the last few days I have managed a Vet squad, reworking the one I started a month ago. Added fat body armour and gas mask, clipped off the WA gasmask faces to o the ones I have been doing so they match better. This squad has 3 plasma guns a heavy flamer and a Sgt, with a pistol. haven't figured out what to do with his myt. the rest of the squad will have shot guns as planed before. Hope to have them outfitted over the weekend maybe. 
Instead of green stuff i am trying Magic sculpt which I have a lot of, almost 4lbs, left over from a long time ago. so far I like Green stuff better. 
These are build over the Raumjager mini's. Not planning to do a lot of them, plan to save them for other things, like a laser destroyer crew or three. Ya never know. 
I may either try to scratch build or buy a recast of the ?assault drill? I think it's called.  I can see it being fairly easy to construct one but the drill itself could be difficult, come to think of it there may be some terrain I could look for for the drill bit portion... I will think on that further. 
Pictures again in a few days. May try to set up another full collection picture very soon. 
Lots on my mind and it's getting in the way of everything, too many ideas.  

The shop I ordered the cavalry from posted that they are starting to place their orders again and getting cough up. I haven't heard anything about my order yet but I did expect it to take some time what with the world having nearly ground to a halt and setting itself on fire.  It is what it is.