Warhead01's Imperial Guard - Fredonian Assault Corps.

Warhead01

I'm planning to stat things up again very soon. Ordering the Wargames Atlantic heavy weapons boxes in November and just about at my stopping point with the Blood Angels project, It can slow to a crawl very soon as most of the hard work is already done. I am still left with 20 more Horse Calvary to build, green stuff and make ready for paint. Haven't touched the WW1 Germans at this time, beyond that one model from a few months ago.  I'm ready to get this project back under way and hopefully finished before the end of this year.  (?) 
Also I mixed up a container of textures for basing so I expect I will be doing a lot of that as well very soon. 

Slowly I'm checking off all the boxes. After this I think really all that's left is artillery, for that good oll' indirect fire.

• 4 weeks later...

I've put away the Blood angels for now and brought back out the last unit I had started to work on, the death Riders. 
So far I am working on the horses and am thinking about changing the riders heads, the pickelhaube heads look too small for the riders now.  I'm thinking about just using the lancer heads from the kit. I did this for the command unit. 
Finally some forward movement I guess. 

I almost like what I've read for the Death riders lance and realize I haven't seen anything saying how many attacks a rider will get to make with it now. previously they had 2 attack and then the mount. Hope it's still 2 for the rider. 
I've clipped a lot of bitz from the sprues of one box of WW1 Germans. stick bombs, helmets and shovels kit. 
I'm expecting slow moving progress now and trying to decide what I want to do. 
I may use some of those models as combat engineers. This will move the veteran squad I already built to being an actual veteran squad. 
I'm looking at the units available to both the standard Am and the DKoK and how I can mix them both. It's a little interesting.
It looks like there are Conscripts, Infantry squads, Grenadiers and Scions all available as troop choices. I see no reason not to have a few of everything or more.  
Do you think 90 is enough conscripts? 

I've had a few other thoughts about the "state of the DKoK" and keep returning to power levels as a reasonable way to use the 8th edition data sheets under 9th edition. I don't know if it even matters but I feel the same way when thinking about using Legends data sheets. But I don't know that it even matters one way or the other to me as far as my games go.

I had some irl stuff come up recently which had gotten in the way of ordering the heavy weapons boxes but I may be in the clear to do that fairly soon. 

With luck I'll have some painting done and pictures to post by the 15th. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, my plan to push on with the guard project landed right on it's face. I did start to pain a unit of "death riders" but found myself back at painting the red guys because I wasn't excited to get back at the green stuff works for more cavalry. 
Rest assured nothing exciting has happed between then and now. 

Today I am back with question. 
Now that we're getting into 9th and lots of games have been played by lots of you, how many heavy weapons do I need? If I got something like 12 would you think that would be plenty or do I need more like 18? How many do you field in total either as part of infantry type squads or as heavy weapons teams? 

Long story short I've come into a little Christmas money and am trying to decide what I should spend it on. I was told it was ok to buy models with it !!! 

Any advice? 

Lastly I am wondering if the Heavy mortar and or the thud gun's (quad launcher) weapons profile has changed. Any information? 

Don’t know what they were before but:

Heavy Mortar is Heavy d6 str6 ap-1 2dmg is blast and can fire at targets not visible to the bearer.

Quadlaunchers are heavy 4d6 str5 ap0 dmg1 and is also blast and targets not visible to bearer.

Also the carriages and crew are considered a single model.

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much!

I'll check against the previous edition later today. 

so I come to find out Malcador Defenders (and maybe Annihilators as well?) seem to be missing their special abilities from the previous edition under their new data sheet. 
So now I am trying to discover  how the previous faq, which gave the defender grinding advance, applies if it does at all. 
It seems I am going to start looking for IG codex's from the last few editions now. I have to old DKoK stuff on digits that covered I think 5th edition when FW put it up for free. Or I deleted it a few years ago. I need to take a dive into an old hard drive and see what I can find. 

On the positive side I see flanking maneuvers is just a Death riders ability in 9th edition and not dependent on the DC command unit. When I complete my next 20 Death Riders I'll have a loot at the points and give adding more squadrons some though. Really sad they were reduced to a single attack with their lances I had hoped they would have stayed at 2 attacks for the riders.  

Being a D&D night tonight I'll have several nearly uninterrupted hours to hobby. I don't want to plan for that now but I have the hope that I will at least assemble the next 5 horses for the Death rider squadron I last started. 

Update.

Light progress on the remaining 20 horses. the green stuff has started, 20 chest plate bits for the horsed stuck on. Gasmasks are next. 

My good friend called about his recent 40K game and excitedly tells me I have nearly 2000 points in my list just from hearing what I've collected this year. I was fishing for how many heavy weapons do I need but got no clear answer.  I guess that got me moving on the cavalry again. I am ordering the heavy weapons boxes this ween and really want the cavalry done enough to set aside wit the others. I'm also still thinking about 60 or more, more conscripts. Those don't take but a few evenings to bang out as I remember. 

He also tells me I should play my Marines for the first few games once I get time to play again. with luck my IG will be table ready when the codex drops, when ever that is.

Update. 
I've been pushing on. I've added the first layers of face covering to the horses heads. However, I've been looking at pictures of horse gas masks and am rethinking the rest of what I have been doing for the masks. I wasn't too pleased with them any way. So with that I will start to move on to the riders as I can sort out the horses gas mask at any point after I have a better idea of what I want, no reason to not keep making progress in the between time. 

Update.
Finally some progress to show!

The Horses new Gas Mask style is one based on a model I found a picture of just today. I tried anyway.
Here's what I found.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4OYGjUrdllo/SkbZ55p6JDI/AAAAAAAAYCs/H8iZgb17J9E/s400/rr.jpg
It's from a blog.

Here's my poor imitation.

med_gallery_3442_16212_44372.jpg

I've worked up 20 of them so far an am now starting to work on the riders.
med_gallery_3442_16212_57311.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_5263.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_171752.jpg

I'm going to try out a few different heads for the riders and see what I like best. I will say these with the gas masks are a winner because they require no extra work.
But we'll see.
I'm going to work out the rest of these riders, 19 more to go, and then go back over the first 15 I have already done.

Thanks for looking!

Looking really nice :)
The masks you did for the previous riders look nice, but so do the german heads, so why not both? You could have a group of veterans equipped in a slightly different way and the newly recruited soldiers in the other (I like to mix stuff, so I am a bit suspect on this).

Nice to see you pick up the rythm again :)

Looking really nice :smile.:

The masks you did for the previous riders look nice, but so do the german heads, so why not both? You could have a group of veterans equipped in a slightly different way and the newly recruited soldiers in the other (I like to mix stuff, so I am a bit suspect on this).

Nice to see you pick up the rythm again :smile.:

Thanks! I did so much in just a few days it's a shame I have to wait and wait dreading this particular part of the project for so long, and then boom it's nearly done. Just have to wait for my mind to be ready I guess. When I force any painting or the like I feel like it's mostly a fail. 

I'm not overly keen on mixing uniform. Probably related to my years in the Army. "An institution of uniformity". 

I was thinking maybe a different helmet for the Sgt's to mark them out but what I really want are the fur hats of the black hussars. Which may be something I can green stuff with the remaining bear hats from the other French Infantry kits. I may give it ago, at least for the Riders Officer and see what happens from there. 

I'm very excited to get all of these riders table ready and move on the the artillery in the new year. My whole concept for this army has been changing and changing and changing again. 

I wish it would stop, or at least slow down. lol

I'm set to pick up the WW1 French in the new year, just like every one else... , My friend says I should field at least 60 infantrymen. 

I've tried to explain that I am going to play this army just as I have my Orks for so many years but he goes right into list building. Which isn't what I am talking about at all. 

getting off track now.  

Update.
I finally ordered the Heavy Weapons teams. 3 boxes. 
Cavalry coming along quickly now done to the last 10 horses and riders. I went with the plumed lancers heads from the cavalry sets, the heads they came with. 
I can always change them later if I decide I like something else better. 
I'm oddly excited about more conscripts, maybe next week I'll get into that. we'll see. 

I just noticed the Deathstrike missile is on the Blast weapons list.... Huzzah! 

Great green stuff skills!

I think you're right 60 troops min seems to be the way to go.

Mass infantry, Cavalry and artillery, what's not to like!

I've really been trying to do better with the green stuff. It's been a lot of learning this year. But thank you! 

Ya, in my head I am dividing my collection into platoons or similar blocks. Each with a command element ect. 

All themed around where ever the models came from. 

Update.

All the cavalry is now ready for paint! I put this off for a long time dreading it and in the end it only took a few days to get this far. 

I'm going to start base coats today. 

Oh, ya. I also dug out 3 more Grognards to finish the Scions Command squad so far I only have an officer and a banner. I'll be adding a medic, vox and a special weapon, haven't decided which one yet. 

Things are going very well with the Cavalry! 25 painted and am just working on the clean up before I jump on to the last 10, which will take the most time to paint as they are at the earliest steps still. I'm looking for the right color for the horses gas masks, some kind of drab military color so a uniform green or something. I've got a few colors in mind to choose from. 
I'm also planning to number the squadrons to help keep the confusion to a minimum during games. 

Glancing across my table I see the WW1 German I did up as a test model and wonder what it would look like with a different head... 

I need to find some heavy flamers still. I want the flamer weapons from a mechanicus kit, the one with the cool wings. The look brutal. 

The picture update is getting closer now. 

Update.

No pictures today.

The death riders are all mostly painted now I am going back over the detail work I skipped out on before and I am also working on the bases. The first of my army to get any basing at all. these will match my Blood Angels bases. Just texture and paint right now maybe more in the future. 

I was looking at the rough riders entry and as it happens I do have 20 from a previous project still set aside and half way painted. 
The key thing here for me is that a unit as small as 5 models can have two special weapons, where the Death rides have no access at all. And top that off with also having the flanking maneuvers ability and being open to every regiment, better now that they can also be DKoK along with the Death riders detachment. (for theme if nothing else.) 
I'm 50/50 on using them at all but I also think it would be worth my time to buy a box of Hussars to add to the DKoK detachment as rough riders. while the other riders, my old ones, may be armed with other special weapons more fitting a different regiment. or not. 
It's probably overly redundant and needlessly over thought. 

Another gem in Legends is giving Demo charges to special weapons teams, very DKoK if you ask me. 
So it would seem my army is going to get more off the beaten path next year. 

I'm still trying to dream up a medium sized zeppelin to use as an aircraft. possibly a vulture of a valkyrie. But that's still off as a future project if I can figure it out. One day... 

If everything lines up pictures before the end of this year.  

Update.
All the Death Riders are now table ready! 
Pictures of those in the next few days depending on the conditions out side. (I take pictures out doors under natural light.)
My next goal to check off is to texture and paint all of the other IG models I have painted this year. I think I can have that done over the next few days as long as noting time consuming come up.  I'd like to finish the two small knights as well and really all that's left is to paint their armour plating and glue it on but I don't know if I can fit that in before the end of this year. I can texture and paint their bases along with the big knights base. 
This is such a cool way to wrap up the year. 

The war efforts continue.

Looking good. :thumbsup: 

What were the base minis again?

I'm pleased with ho they turned out today. If I keep thinking about them I'll see all the faults... Always room for improvement I guess.  

Victrix French Lancers

Update.

All the pictures. 

Just put them on the blog to save time sharing them. 

20201222_160023.jpg

https://warhead01.blogspot.com/2020/12/proxy-dkok-death-riders.html

Looking good. :thumbsup: 

What were the base minis again?

I'm pleased with ho they turned out today. If I keep thinking about them I'll see all the faults... Always room for improvement I guess.  

Victrix French Lancers

Some of the Victrix infantry look tempting, think it was the Old Guard kit that had greatcoats on, cheap conscripts ftw!!

Edited by Slave to Darkness

Heck ya! But... All these months later WGA is nearly ready to sell those WW1 French! Which I would probably have chosen over these Old Guard infantry. Too late now! :biggrin.: 
I'm still half tempted to bash out more of that Old Guard as rifle squads or Special weapons teams. Not going to plan that out at all for a while. 
so many things I'd love to do and so little money to do them. The only change I have been thinking about is to repaint the long coats on my conscripts from green to blue, to match everything else. Madness I tells you. Madness! 

I was gonna save the WGA French as my normal Guard infantry squads and use the Victrix stuff as conscripts so I can tell them apart easier. 

As for your conscripts, leave the coats as they are, you get a regimental coat when you prove yourself... 

Edited by Slave to Darkness