Warhead01's Imperial Guard - Fredonian Assault Corps.

Warhead01

The banners turned out great, very nice work! With them leading the charge the dice gods will surely favour you too :tongue.:

That and I have a trick up my sleeve. All my most one sided victories start with me asking the other player if they wish to surrender, prior to rolling any dice. If the decline the dice gods favor me. Poor buggers. :wink: 

60% of the time it works every time. :biggrin.:

Thank you. 
I think I saw  a model kits box art which I tried to copy for the tank. Did a google search, but the picture only showed the one side of the model. Consequently I left the other side of the tank unpainted, not even primed. :teehee: 
I did finally get the 3d printed Char 2c but haven't put the two side by side yet, maybe some time this weekend I'll get to it. Still waiting on the larger one to arrive.

some of my plans have changed again the Cavalry are more of the "true 28 MM miniatures, smaller than the wargames Atlantic mini's so I am using the Victrix heads on the command squad and might do the same on the rest. Still haven't bothered ordering the WW1 Germans, I want them but want the get these cavalry built and ready for paint and still not sure when those models will be in the US location for shipping, last information had them in a shipping container on a boat. WA's email has had updated tracking on their stock, kinda cool. 

The war efforts continue.

Are the cavalry soldiers also thin but as tall as heroic minis like the infantry, or is it more noticeable?

The only "truer" scale models I have worked with are Anvil's Afterlife characters and a character from Statuesque miniatures, I am not sure how historical models compare.
I was looking the other day to some historical cavalry and artillery from victrix and other brands so I was wondering what is the difference in practice from what you see.

Are the cavalry soldiers also thin but as tall as heroic minis like the infantry, or is it more noticeable?

The only "truer" scale models I have worked with are Anvil's Afterlife characters and a character from Statuesque miniatures, I am not sure how historical models compare.

I was looking the other day to some historical cavalry and artillery from victrix and other brands so I was wondering what is the difference in practice from what you see.

They are a bit think, very in line with their Middle french infantry models. same body weight height, if that explains it. not Heroic scaled. 

Heroic are thicker all over and at one time that was really the major difference as far as I can see it i think now days Heroics are a little taller as well but not by much. the thickness of the heads is what concerns me, if the heads look way too big for the bodies. But I won't know until I get them.  I was very tempted to get Perry miniatures but haven't seen those cavalry next to these cavalry I just got. Or don't recall if i have. 

The green stuff body armor does thicken up the Victrix a bit. 

I'll try a test model with a Grognards helmet, picture later along with what I have done with the Cav so far. painting them later this evening. 

I do like the Victrix mini's though very clean sculpts very slick as nice as they look on the website.  Very impressed, if they were in Heroic scale these would be money. 

Update.
Death riders command. some of the models.

Officer.
med_gallery_3442_16212_45540.jpg

Rider.
med_gallery_3442_16212_130982.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_83375.jpg

Banner.
med_gallery_3442_16212_91074.jpg

The horses were painted grey and pale skin then washed black and dark brown, skin touch up and a wash made from green ink and a sienna ink. Which was also used to tent the pale flesh for another skin touch up. Vat grown war horses.

The banner is ok I guess. might change it out doe something smaller later when I get an idea.
A few more little painting things to do and need to order bases for them.
Plan to work out a mounted Commissar next.

Thank you both. I've found these very challenging so far but really worth the effort.

This banner kinda came to me after watching some Captain Harlock.
May look for a slogan to add but haven't given it any though.
If the Imperial Eagle was easier to draw I would have tried to use that. Maybe later.
I figure that later I'll come back and sort out what ever I've done poorly or missed. I keep finding little things I need to come back to. But I do like them.

Update.

Death rider Commissar!

med_gallery_3442_16212_83879.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_85494.jpg

med_gallery_3442_16212_180477.jpg

This time my ink wash turned out too green. Differently needs more work to pinking it up. (They all do. )

This one has a lot of things done differently, the armor the horses mask and the horses chest plate.
The head is from the Bane Blade commander.

He also has gold on his cords and fringe. Wanted him to fit but also be easily seen as not native to the regiment. Almost gave him a black horse as well. but as we all know Death rides a white Horse. So they're all from the regiment's stock.
Briefly thought about giving him a chainsword.

I ordered the bases and more green stuff today next moths budget is looking slim, we'll see. Again I want to finish units before I get over excited about more models.

Thanks to you all.

My good friend has started calling to talk about 9th. He seems to have half read the information so far. We're already starting to talk about tactics we want to try. 
I've been thinking that a lot of old tactics I use in 3rs-4th may make a strong come back. 
Now with guard in mind I am starting to think about how to apply WW1 trench tactic to 40K/9th. defense in depth and what not. 
I have to refresh myself on most of that as I have a vague idea but not sure how much I have jumbled together.
The last time I had WW1 in mind for 40K we planned an Apoc game for roughly 6 months while deployed, not much better to do at the time. WIf you recall 5th apoc had timed bombardments and I built a list to bring as much of that as I could. The "rolling bombardments started in the enemy DZ and started walking toward our own, pushing rear units forward into out guns. Doubt I can recreate that but it worked wonderfully. 
I've been thinking of trying German defensive line as a means of deploying my units to attack and defend and counter attack while screening off deepstrike. Hopefully this will be something I can apply and rely on. 
I'm still amused that coordinated arms attacks were so new back then and now it's all I think about  for a table top wars game. Hilarious.  

No progress to report at this time waiting for green stuff and have taken to working on a Blood Angels test model. I think the red will look very nice next to the blues I am already using.
depending on what I have going on I also plan to work on the next 3 mini's for the storm trooper command squad. A medic and I guess 2 special weapons. I have one more horse started but minimal progress so far. 

The war effort continue. 

Update.

The Wargames Atlantic WW1 Germans are not available so this morning I ordered 3 boxes, saves a few dollars that way, I'll want a lot of the bitz.
Have taken a pause on the IG, probably mentioned that above already.

Working on a test model for Blood Angels, finding the red I want is not been easy and I have a ways to go still.
Test model.
This is 5 reds over a dark brown with a black wash, which I put on too early.
med_gallery_3442_16212_417573.jpg
My evil wizard approves so far.

There's a Blood Angel on Pinterest that has the red I like a lot and am trying to match. not there yet.
I found one the the reds is coming out very orange! very reminiscent of the OG Blood Angels red from the mid to late 90's. (2nd edition)

When the Germans arrive I'll get back to the Cavalry, need some heads from those boxes.

Oh, so we keep coming back to heavy weapons and artillery. well I had thought I could cover down on that with some SM's in a detachment. I have the models so why not.
Doesn't have to be the best, just fill in the gaps for a while. I already have the models so why not.
Not sure if I plan to start a thread in the BA sub forum or not. I'll think about that after I get the red I want sorted out.
already named the detachment as well.. maybe.

Nice work on the test model!
What are your plans for the WW1 germans, besides the bits?

The machine gun from the kit, would believable as a heavy bolter perhaps? I was thinking that with a support like the AdMech "snipers" and a guy holding ammo on the same base it could pass as a HWT (the kneeling pose might work with a tripod as well).
The germans kit looks quite nice, but I think most of my budget for now was already spent on getting some of the grognards, raumjagers and afghans (5 boxes of each going to Portugal supposedly next week).

How are the Victrix kits? Are they easy to work with, barring the conversion you added on top?

Edit: Something very tempting to do with the germans, since they have lots of grenades unattached to anything and both left and right arms with grenades, would be to make a soldier with a grenade in each hand and just crazily having grenades along his waste and on other areas where they could be attached. If he gets too close no one would be crazy enough to shoot that guy :D

Edited by GreenScorpion

Nice work on the test model!

What are your plans for the WW1 germans, besides the bits?

The machine gun from the kit, would believable as a heavy bolter perhaps? I was thinking that with a support like the AdMech "snipers" and a guy holding ammo on the same base it could pass as a HWT (the kneeling pose might work with a tripod as well).

The germans kit looks quite nice, but I think most of my budget for now was already spent on getting some of the grognards, raumjagers and afghans (5 boxes of each going to Portugal supposedly next week).

How are the Victrix kits? Are they easy to work with, barring the conversion you added on top?

Edit: Something very tempting to do with the germans, since they have lots of grenades unattached to anything and both left and right arms with grenades, would be to make a soldier with a grenade in each hand and just crazily having grenades along his waste and on other areas where they could be attached. If he gets too close no one would be crazy enough to shoot that guy :biggrin.:

Really mostly the bitz. I think some will be special weapons teams and veteran squads. Seriously I bought these for the pickelhaube. I know, I know. :teehee: 

I was thinking about setting a few vets up with a lot of grenades. These kits are really neat because they could be used for  troops from, what was that movie 1864? can't recall. If there were a game system for all those wars this kit would cover several of the different uniforms nicely. 

I've been thinking about using some of these short coats for mechanized infantry possibly. With the Green stuffed body armor and gas mask. Nearly looks like the OG IG, with the right helmet. I kinda felt like I went overboard. 

Ad literally for bitz farming. I think I can resell some of the left over later as well. But that's for later after the WW1 french drop. Hard to say for sure about that one of the two kits will become line infantry squads. + command staff. 

Ya, my army is just going to be this thing that I will have to figure out how to fit into games of 40K. Kinda ridicules I know, over sized and under powered. Heck my friend may need a chunk of soldiers for his army, cha-ching ! :biggrin.: 

The Victrix cavalry go together  super easily. the horses are three parts each. the riders most of them are upper and lowers as one body + right arm, left fore arm and head. and a few decorative bits, two kinds of heads the hats are slightly different. But they go together easily and I have only destroyed one hanging cavalry saber from the bunch so far. (just bad luck I think.) They will need proper bases, which I have on order. 

For the price 5 boxes is a good deal for the long term hobby need, feed the need and all that. Enough to gift or sell or loan or not. 

Edited by Warhead01

Well about 90 pickelhaube heads from a place like Anvil Industry would cost you along 60$(plus shipping) versus 145$(it was meant to say 95$ which is the price for a pack of 3), but given you have 375 heads in total counting the other types, it is well worth the boxes for the bits alone.
I am thinking about using the bits from those boxes with either some hand sculpted + rough castings or digital sculpted + printed torsos/legs, as I already have lots of bits and was looking into ways to spend them in conversions. I am leaning towards the digital way because of already existing models I could print as is or edit for my purpose. Lets see, first I need to return to Portugal and get a permanent house there :biggrin.:

The grognards, raumjagers and afghans would be allies for my renegades, regiments from different planets, which is something that makes sense with my fluff. After the 440 (this might be a bit overkill though, but lets see) are built, I should have bits for at least the same amount.
I might setup a thread in the AM forum once I return and start working on the regiments regularly, only time will tell.

I asked about the cavalry because I was looking into the french chasseurs from perry miniatures because they have carbines and swords, but after seeing a review, while they are apparently easy to build, you get 28 guys to build, but only weapons and horses for the 14 the box says (heads/torsos/legs for 2 uniform types), which would then leave me with 14 guys with arched legs that would not be easy to spend without further horses or perhaps some bikes, which is lots of spares :biggrin.:

That wouldn't be something for now, so I have time to think.

Good luck with the rest of the models you have on your queue :smile.:

Edited by GreenScorpion

Well about 90 pickelhaube heads from a place like Anvil Industry would cost you along 60$(plus shipping) versus 145$, but given you have 375 heads in total counting the other types, it is well worth the boxes for the bits alone.

I am thinking about using the bits from those boxes with either some hand sculpted + rough castings or digital sculpted + printed torsos/legs, as I already have lots of bits and was looking into ways to spend them in conversions. I am leaning towards the digital way because of already existing models I could print as is or edit for my purpose. Lets see, first I need to return to Portugal and get a permanent house there :biggrin.:

The price was the key part of the decisions, 3 boxes comes out under $100 usd, (and no shipping costs for orders of $50) I was going to only buy 1 or 2 boxes but the savings won me over. 

I have seen a video on a perticular 3d printer recently and was amazed at how little they cost now but learning 2 programs to set up the files seems really daunting to my damaged brain. 

So I don't think it would be very useful to me very quickly. I've been building and painting and diy'ing my stuff for so long it just seems easier to go with what I know. 

Tried to airbrush some of the reds yesterday but ended up back at brush painting but I have the routine set and made very good progress painting into the early morning. I think it gets easier after the first 10. (Blood Angels.)

Plan to assemble all the horses over a few days next week and get them ready for the green stuff, which will be here about the time I get that done.

At this rate I think I can have the last 30 paint ready in a week or two and then just plug away at them a few at a time or batches of 5 or something. I think I can get the riders ready leaving off the arm with the lance or sword until the heads are ready and placed then just pop them together and that'll be that. 

Hopefully orders I placed in early May will start rolling in before the months out I am really looking forward to those tanks to finally arrive. 

My good friend is itching to get into 9th so I need to get more stuff battle ready. :whistling: 

I'll gimp him on that 10 points at ever opportunity, serves him right, he'd do the same

It's all in good fun.  19 year rivalry and no clear winner. haha. 

Shakes fist at the stormy sky, lightning and thunder in the back ground. 

Update.
The Green stuff I ordered arrived! And if that wasn't enough, and it wasn't, I got a tracking notification today, the Germans are on the way!

My blood angel side project is coming along the first 10 are nearly done and I have started base coating more models, the flying autto cannon guys ans their captain.
I'm on a pause-ex right now, this week is full of out doors work and trips out of town and top that off with more D&D art, which is coming along very nicely.

Reading, over on Dakka, people freaking out over the battle ready points thing. Meh. I have strong feelings about painted armies as you can guess but I also wont tell anyone what to do in their games. No doubt this will put me in a weird spot when ever get back out for a game but my views aside I know my group is like minded in that we want to have a lot of fun when we play and will bang out some kind of crazy multi player game so we can all have a blast, no worries there. As for tournaments, cool. Maybe it'll turn into a net positive. Again not overly worried I know the usual TO and know he'll do his best to sort it out some how.
Sorry got the tangent. My head is full of crazy people all taking tuns talking out of turn... Not much to be done about it.

Should have time for miniatures again Thursday or Friday evenings. If not there's always Saturday night.
I'll leave you with a picture of these red dudes.
med_gallery_3442_16212_401810.jpg