Warhead01's Imperial Guard - Fredonian Assault Corps.

Warhead01

seems a 50/50 split so far... :biggrin.:

Melee mostly. I have to see what else is in the kit and kinda need to look for a source of more pistols. I need also to reread the unit options for death riders to see what's available. 
I'm really going to cool over optimal. The artillery and tanks should make up for that. haha.
I'm giving a box of Victrix french to my brother and decided the box I keep will be turned into hopefully 40 Infantrymen.  
And will try to stick special weapon into the new squads. Probably flamers and grenade launchers. 

The Death Riders supposedly take only laspistols and the officer can take something a bit more costly, I was looking through it on battlescribe, but none of the Forgeworld's models actual have any ranged weapon, not even a holstered one, so you should be fine with a napoleonic cavalry squad with no pistols or rifles :)

It bothers me when rules and models don't match very well in terms of wargear, but it is what it is.

Update.

Vet squad.
med_gallery_3442_16212_24932.jpg

And a few single model pictures.

med_gallery_3442_16212_166038.jpg

The shotgun barrels are toothpicks. Magic Sculpt body armour, and masks.

med_gallery_3442_16212_105767.jpg

The back end and arms are from the Grognards set, some of the special weapons chopped down the front end is two flamers from the Raumjager kit.

med_gallery_3442_16212_172586.jpg

Raumjager kit plasma gun. Magenta ink over a white base layer magenta air brush paint, pearilized white, florescent purple, pink and white with another layer of punk. it pops but it's not shown very well in these pictures, sorry.

med_gallery_3442_16212_32805.jpg

Sgt. nothing special yet, may find him a plasma pistol or something. haven't decided.

med_gallery_3442_16212_269947.jpg

Better look at the armour in this one.

so there we have it.

That leaves 14 more of these minis left over from the kit. undecided about them at this point. Thing ins I think I want to do basically this to that WW1 Germans kit and I think it will look a little better. Maybe less chunky, these look like a squad of fat kids. Which it about right for for the equipment and armour. not too different from the IOTV, as I remember it.
I need to review what I have left from this kit and who knows. I do expect to set 4 or 6 aside for laserdestroyor crew. Not overly interested in another box, not the best minis WA makes. That said I really like how they turned out for me.

Notes the coats are painted with a blend of Vallejo model color green ochre and English uniform in almost a 3 to 1 mix. just for a tint of greenish from the EU. an attempt to make more of a mustard, WW2 french uniform color-ish. All that washed with black and brown paint washes. I left the pants dark grey but had been tempted to paint the dark blue.
I think it works well enough this way.

I like them but kinda hate looking at them so close. I feel like my painting is become really poor. but I think anything smaller than an Ork is probably more difficult to paint after painting Orks for 20+ years.  but also the paint looks chalky to me in the pictures but it could just be the lighting. Had to use the titan for the shade under the ottlite. It helps the eye's pop. 
I like them better from my view at 18 or more inches away. :wink:

I got an email, the second 1/56 scale Char 2c has finally shipped. I will never use that Ebay seller ever again. we're talking a month and a half ago I ordered it and the listing said there were several available, implying they were ready to ship as I understood the listing. No matter, at least it's on the way I'm sure I'll see it before the end of the year or get my money back. 

Other thought, gibberish. 

I guess I can go ahead and order the WW1 Germans now. Probably just 1 box I want all the bitz but well, so, the plan is to use the WW1 French for the line troops to match more with the Grognards but I think I want the pickelhaube for them. so I guess I will need 2 boxes of Germans for enough heads. I want extra for the heavy weapons teams. Or, I can put those on Grognards if the WW1 French kit doesn't work out. But I have the feeling it will. But it's good to have a backup plan. 
I feel like my plans are changing quite a bit as this project progresses. :biggrin.: 

The war efforts continue. 

Just for fun.

I've had this mini's on the shelf for maybe 13 or more years, so long I can't recall if I bought her or if it was just part of an army lot I got second hand or what.
Finnaly has some paint. still need to work out the face. Wanted pale skin because she's old and a shut in...
I kept thinking Mom's friendly robot factory.
Now I want that man of Iron model.. A Kill Bot of her very own.

wip
"Mom" Clearly the friendly Inquisitor.
med_gallery_3442_16212_119124.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_49330.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_179170.jpg

More work to do but I think it's going well so far.

Today's kinda a day off for me so far. Plenty of time for painting.

med_gallery_3442_16212_29399.jpg

med_gallery_3442_16212_173038.jpg

I think she's done I need to think on the skin tones Very pinkish not pale enough for what I had in mind but not too bad either. Not really inside my wheel house but again, nice from 12 to 18 inches away. I dotted the eyes with Turquoise ink. It goes on "smoother" than paint, more color less material.

The flesh was washed with Magenta ink and built with Vallejo pale flesh, elf flesh and light flesh with a hint of left over ink already on the brush.

Several pictures.

gallery_3442_16212_374892.jpg

gallery_3442_16212_606502.jpg

Difficult to get a good picture of so many models.

I may try something weird for a better picture next time.

med_gallery_3442_16212_52483.jpg

Better picture of the vet squad.
Good news! I found there are 6 plasma in the Raumjager kit.

med_gallery_3442_16212_578219.jpg

The sneaky Char-2c. I painted that a few weeks back. still waiting on the larger ones to arrive. you can see the 1/56 scale is just to small.

gallery_3442_16212_487412.jpg

I put in a little more work to work out her face. it wasn't really as good as I wanted and was a little worried I would just muck it up but I think it's a lot better now.
I've felt like my painting ability was back sliding a lot so it was really good to put in some time and effort, most rewarding.
Now I need to find "Mom" some kill bots.
Oh, and she's a metal model and I think one reason I never put any paint on her was all the flash. This model still has excess metal all over it. I recall having trouble being sure of what was a detail and what had to come off. it was kinda bad.
I'm looking at a few more INQ related mini's to add to my collection. With luck they'll do more than stand around on a shelf.
I might crop her face for an avatar.. na, that'd be a little weird. Better stick with the gas mask guy. :teehee:

Edited by Warhead01

Really nice group :smile.:

Now you are just missing the vehicles and perhaps some heavy weapons to compose the picture :biggrin.:

Right you are!

I read just now that some one at WA just assembled the 3d Prints for Grognard heavy weapons! 

So maybe sooner than later? Not sure how long the process takes one the prints are done. also not sure if those are the finished versions. No pictures yet. 

I am keeping in mind that Kickstarter with the DKoK themed mini's that I didn't back, have bookmarked their online store for later just in case. 

Edited my previous post to add one more picture. 

Given Wargames Atlantic just placed the space dwarves and the spiders with goblin riders for tooling, I am guessing it will be at least a few months until the heavy weapons are available. Tooling takes a while, production takes a few more and given they produce in China, actual shipping will also take its time.
I am also not sure what is the priority they are giving that as they have confirmed a few more historical stuff, fantasy and shown stuff for space british.

A lot of stuff for a company that seems to have appeared out of thin air :biggrin.:

Edited by GreenScorpion

They said they are planning to put a factory in the states as soon as they can. The must have a good operation going. I like that they kinda drip in units for all their categories and don't get them selves stuck being known for only one thing. On the shipping side of things they say they pack shipping station in several places, heck one is actually really close to me, just a few hundred miles away. if I remember correctly. 

Even if it takes until next year to finish this project I'm fine with that. I have another side project in mind but both of these are probably my last armies as I play so little there's not much reason to go beyond what I have in the works, IG and a SM primaris army repaint. filling them out but not planning on another army afterwords at all. 
I'm probably only even doing this because I do enjoy painting. More than a desire to put this on the table. 

Update.

wip command squad.

med_gallery_3442_16212_97922.jpg

I had set these aside a while ago for a command squad and found a packet of metal rods I bought from hobby lobby a few years ago. I clipped the length into 4 3" lengths for banner poles yesterday and got to it. The banner is just drawing paper glued on. Not sure what this banner will end up looking like yet, more to do for sure.
2 grenade launchers a medic and a bannermen. all drafted from the conscription ranks for either prior pdf service or the highest ability of the lot. I have 5 more bodies I could use for another command. Wish I had 6 I would make a special weapons team. I think I will make a few banners ahead of time for the storm trooper command and the death riders command.
And maybe one more for what ever comes up.

WA announced the WW1 Germans kits have left China and will be in their shipping location in the next few weeks. they ship from 3 or 4 places worldwide. I'm trying to decide how may kits I want to buy 1 or 3. I believe three is probably ideal bit will get in the way of the WW1 french I am also excited about. My collection may devolve into regimental gibberish but it will all be painted, so there's that.

And just like that it was after Noon.
med_gallery_3442_16212_77267.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_56823.jpg
Close enough I guess. Free hand is a pain. haha. The next banner will be better Hopefully and I think I'll try o draw and paint it before I attach it to the banner pole next time. Should make it all easier.
After it drys longer I'll wet it down and shape it. Not bad for a first in maybe 20 years.

Freehand is rough, but there are tricks around it. You can draw your image using a pencil and then paint over it in thin layers like a coloring book. Other techniques use are print custom decals in either color or even in greyscale. I know it’s vague but that’s the simplest way to do it. Works pretty well and there are tutuoriaps on YouTube to get that effect. However it looks pretty legit so far man keep it up.

I think we have a light table some where. I'll draw the next one out flip it and try to trace through what I did and paint it. I do expect there will be a lot of improvement by working the banner all the way out and finishing it BEFORE I put it on the post and glue it to the model... Which I should have done and can still do.. I just get excited. 
I'll look for some tutorials as well. I feel like this is missing something around or near the skull that should be there but isn't. 

For a free hand design it is actually pretty nice.

EDIT:

Something below the skull could help fill the space a bit.
If you want to draw using an existent design or something you did and don't have an actual light table, you can go around that with a small lamp and a glass table if you have one. When I was little I used a lamp on top of a stool to do some stuff for school, since I didn't have the same tables we had in art classes.

Edited by GreenScorpion

For a free hand design it is actually pretty nice.

I've shaped it and given it a black and brown wash. that and the waves in the banner make a huge difference, much better. 

I was impatient and just rushed right in with out a plan.  Not bad for that. haha. The circle in the center was traced using an army painter was cap. 

I have found some banners with google that I like, old 1st ed IG banners are kinda neat.  

I was joking with my D&D group that if I did jungle fighter I would use the Florida State flag. An army of Florida Man... 

I'm happy with how it's turned out, next one should turn out better. 

Excellent news!
The Cavalry is on the way. No arrival date yet but the shipping information landed in my inbox. Also the seller is in Fl. so if hey are shipped from his location they will arrive very quickly. I've been looking forward to these for a long time. Super excited.

Update.
med_gallery_3442_16212_88087.jpg gallery_3442_16212_128951.jpg
Second Banner. I think I'll use this for the storm trooper command squad.
I want a black Hussars theme for my Cavalry and have to see what I can find that translates to 40K without being an upsetting choice for people more sensitive than myself.
Shouldn't be a huge problem so far from what i have see, if I recall, are either black or white "crosses" over a black or white back ground. Black and white being the colors I have seen the most. There's another one with I black bird and a crown. But it has to be in the spirit of the Imperial Guard or it wont work. I had thought about a white banner with a black Imperial eagle or a black banner with a white dead head and bones. What ever it is I want to to be uncomplicated and direct. But I have time. I'll keep looking and see if I find something I can draw from.
Instead of just black and white as in the banner I posted above I am trying to push in more blue and dark blue. as I think it looks a little better then just flat black and these banners do get black and dark brown washes later so I need the lighter colors.

Small update.

The first banner is done.
med_gallery_3442_16212_50497.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_16074.jpg

Putting waves in the banner really makes it work. Hides mistakes and looks right to me.

Second banner.

med_gallery_3442_16212_30937.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_75427.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_144330.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_140678.jpg

Still need to bash out the rest of the command squad. A Medic and two special weapons, probably just use the Grognards specials and call them what ever. Thinking about those volley guns, what ever they're called. Also need an officer.
Definitely going to need a transport.
After that something for the cavalry and I was thinking I might put a 4th banner together ahead of the unit it will belong to.
This army will look amazing in black and white pictures during games.
My next Inquisitor model arrives tomorrow. Not sure if it's an inquisitor or a henchmen yet. No spoilers..