9th edition incoming

TiguriusX

I can see it being a hard sell to those who only play 1 or 2 armies and those who play infrequently. 

In my own personal case I need books for  Wolves , Standard Marines , Knights ,Guard , and Sisters  so its probably something that I would lean into wanting to get. 

I am also not of a generation who used pen and paper to make lists , Ive only ever known Battlescribe , and having something I know is instantly updated and accurate is big for me

( not knocking the wonderful people who put the battlescribe data out for us entirely as volunteer service. ) 

Developers gotta eat , im okay with spending a bit of money on something that makes my life easier , though I would hope some web based variant of the list builder that is tied to your account will also exist , if only so that I have the means to not use my phone for list construction. 

Overall I am down with paying the cost , but I  certainly see how it would not be an investment that everyone is gonna wanna make. 

My struggle is really what you get for the price. At first it's good because it's all codexes from 8th set for 9th. But every codex drop the value drops until its not really worth it at all. Basically at that point it's crazy expensive Battlescribe.

Also I'm not seeing future proof as you still have to buy chapter approved. I mean for 70+ US bucks a year you could have thrown in digital CA free with sub, then I might be interested.

Alas probably the free version for me but no sub. Keep on using Battlescribe for list building

I can see it being a hard sell to those who only play 1 or 2 armies and those who play infrequently. 

In my own personal case I need books for  Wolves , Standard Marines , Knights ,Guard , and Sisters  so its probably something that I would lean into wanting to get. 

I am also not of a generation who used pen and paper to make lists , Ive only ever known Battlescribe , and having something I know is instantly updated and accurate is big for me

( not knocking the wonderful people who put the battlescribe data out for us entirely as volunteer service. ) 

Developers gotta eat , im okay with spending a bit of money on something that makes my life easier , though I would hope some web based variant of the list builder that is tied to your account will also exist , if only so that I have the means to not use my phone for list construction. 

Overall I am down with paying the cost , but I  certainly see how it would not be an investment that everyone is gonna wanna make. 

The free version let's you handle your codices

The subscribe version allows you to build your armies for 3.99 pounds a month ... too much for a glorified excell sheet

My hope with the app is that it is updated fast and kept accurate for the armies. They way I personally look at purchasing hobby items (from 40k to video games) is a $1 per hour. If I spend 1 hour for every dollar spent using and playing with said thing then it is worth in my opinion. For £3.99 which is ideally going to be a 1-to-1 given it is an app and most apps do that, I will probably spend that many hours a week building lists and looking at points and abilities. So to me it seems worth it. Do I wish it was free like a lot of other people offer? Yes. Am I supposed GW is trying to monetize as much as they can? No. I see this also as a very nice tool as it is an official source for FAQ and rules and points all in one place. Ideally I won't need to lug around the 66 books required (exaggerating here) because the app has everything and it is all up to date. That to me is worth supporting with my dollar as the more we can convince them it works ideally the more likely they are to improve it and make it worth getting even more.

With the mention that Bladeguard getting the Wolf Guard keyword, I'm excited to see what the new edition brings with keywords that interact with our strategems. I'd like to see the Assault Intercessors get Blood Claw and regular get Grey Hunter. What about everyone else? Any thoughts there?

With the mention that Bladeguard getting the Wolf Guard keyword, I'm excited to see what the new edition brings with keywords that interact with our strategems. I'd like to see the Assault Intercessors get Blood Claw and regular get Grey Hunter. What about everyone else? Any thoughts there?

Of course that would be nice, but I don’t see that happening.

It wouldnt be Day 1, itd be in the codex at best. Id like to see it too but think we are a ways off

My struggle is really what you get for the price. At first it's good because it's all codexes from 8th set for 9th. But every codex drop the value drops until its not really worth it at all. Basically at that point it's crazy expensive Battlescribe.

Also I'm not seeing future proof as you still have to buy chapter approved. I mean for 70+ US bucks a year you could have thrown in digital CA free with sub, then I might be interested.

Alas probably the free version for me but no sub. Keep on using Battlescribe for list building

Don't forget you need to buy each new codex to access the 9th edition updates as they release on top of your subscription fee. I don't see the value yet. 

I think it’s interesting people believe GW will don’t go after battle scribe. Every where I look has people saying eh I’ll just use battle scribe. Don’t think GW sees that as well? I enjoy battlescribe and I don’t know if GW has actual ground to make battle scribe stop but I am sure they will try.

Don't forget you need to buy each new codex to access the 9th edition updates as they release on top of your subscription fee. I don't see the value yet.

I know, but I'm always gunna buy the codex and I will enter the code into the free version which is all I really want from the app. there's no added value for me on the sub. A subscription gets you no rules but the old codexes.

As for GW taking down Battlescribe, they've tried and failed. Battlescribe does not create the content of the app, they make a framework where regular people can create army building files for any game. There's nothing to attack Battlescribe on as they dont break any laws. The files are created by the community and given for free Battlescribe has nothing to do with creating those files.

Of course that would be nice, but I don’t see that happening.

I have to agree with this, I can't see Intercessors gaining those keywords. I'm willing to be the new ones will have access to the veteran strat which is a big enough boost. 

As far as the app, for me its really going to depend on what they do with it moving forward. They list battle forge as the first of many great updates. Imagine if they gave us a feed back button so we could rate units. The more responsive GW gets the better it is for us. 

where are the points? aaaah....i hoped we could get a glimpse from youtube reviewers

likely next sat night. usually when the nda's lift.

keep in mind, this is a two week preorder, not the standard 1 week

Imagine if they gave us a feed back button so we could rate units. The more responsive GW gets the better it is for us. 

That would actually be great. Easy to get feedback right into the rules teams' hands, and would be easily sortable by faction; and by having it on a unit by unit basis, they could reduce rant-type feedback because it'd be focused on a specific unit.

Some Errata are up 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/#warhammer-40000

Note on Storm Shields 
Designer’s Note: When we wrote Edge of Silence, we created some new rules for the relic shield and storm shield. When used in isolation – say, when playing through the missions in Edge of Silence – these rules work perfectly well, but when used with a Battle-forged army, it is possible to upgrade a Character with Artificer Armour, and in doing so have a model with a Save characteristic of 1+. This was not our intention, and so we are changing the rules for both these items of wargear as they appear on these datasheets. Please also note that while some weapons and other items of wargear (e.g. storm shields) appear in other places with slightly different rules, the rules for them that appear in Edge of Silence should not apply to other units – you should continue to use the rules as printed in your current Codex for the time being.

Also no mention in the space wolves or  edge of silence ( indomitus box units)   of  Blade Guard  having the wolf guard keyword. 

What the hell is Edge of Silence?

I would also like to know this but regardless, with AP whats the issue with having a 1+ save? A 1 has always failed since ever, seems like a dumb reason.

As we've explained in detail over in the Storm Shields thread, a 1 does not always fail.  An unmodified 1 always fails.  When you modify a roll down to 1, but happen to have a 1+ Save, that's a pass.

As much as i love your attitude, my point being, a 1+ in other GW game systems hasn't been an issue until they changed the modifiers to the rolls as they are.

Edited by PeteySödes