9th edition incoming

TiguriusX

Well I actually put my first army list plan in the army list section, however you made me realize something, are Judiciars not HQs? I was actually going for 4 HQs in the lost as the are pricey, but the judiciar was one of them. This is interesting now as I might rewrite the list to be 3 hqs with that revelation...

He's Elite, which is a very nice slot for him, as he does not compete with our HQ choices. 

Advance and Charge for warlord trait strat on Judiciar

But what are people thinking for relics? Theres some good options

Mountainbreaker Helm

Adamantine Mantle

Runic Armour

Master Crafted Weapon

I don't think he needs that Warlord Trait.  Just put him in an Impulsor with some Intercessors or Assault Intercessors, and he'll get into combat, no problem.  

If you felt like giving him a Relic then the MC Weapon for a Flat 3 damage blade wouldn't be a bad use of that.

I was just working on a Consolidated Terrain Cheat Sheet for the actual terrain that I've got here at home to use, when it occurred to me that only Infantry, Beasts, and Swarms are allowed to gain the benefit of Cover (whether it be Light, Heavy, or Dense Cover terrain traits).

So, no matter what you do (except House Rule it differently, of course), Monsters, Vehicles, and Cavalry can never gain the benefit of any of these various cover benefits.

This is made clear on the 'Terrain Features' page, where you'll see that only Infantry, Beasts, or Swarm models are ever eligible to receive the benefits of cover in the sections covering Obstacles and Area Terrain. It won't be clear if you just go review the Terrain Traits pages, where it describes what Dense, Light, and Heavy Cover do.

EDIT: Also, on a separate note, when looking at the Eternal War Mission Pack, the "Rule of Three," is now an actual rule in the book, and not just a suggestion for Event Organizers. With the exception of Troops and Dedicated Transports, you can't include the same datasheet in your army more than three times.

I thought that was just for obstacles? They can still get cover from other features?

Nope. That's why I pointed it out.

It is important to remember that they can be physically visually blocked by them though. While the cover rules may not apply if you cant see it you cant shoot it. I point this out because there seems to be some confusion about this elsewhere, but in the shooting section you have to be able to see it to shoot it.

Yes, they still benefit from both True Line of Sight (where the Terrain actually blocks you from seeing the model) and the Obscuring terrain trait (where Ruins and other Area Terrain features with that trait are treated as blocking LOS).

Advance and Charge for warlord trait strat on Judiciar

But what are people thinking for relics? Theres some good options

Mountainbreaker Helm

Adamantine Mantle

Runic Armour

Master Crafted Weapon

I don't think he needs that Warlord Trait. Just put him in an Impulsor with some Intercessors or Assault Intercessors, and he'll get into combat, no problem.

If you felt like giving him a Relic then the MC Weapon for a Flat 3 damage blade wouldn't be a bad use of that.

I was probably being a bit egocentric, I dont want to go down the route of Impulsor Rhino Rush but hes probably best in one

Wulfen stone still looks like a strong choice, and as we have the bad relic strat (3cp for 2) getting more than 1 extra seems not worth it.

As I am having a hard time squeezing in a rune priest I'm thinking the wolf tail talisman might be worth a look

I'll be taking wolf tail on my t wolf lord. Considering

Wolf tail

Saga of the bear

Stormshields

Makes him decently survivable I think.

I'm also considering

Helm of iron mountain on a jump pack priest.

I just imagine him headbutting a flyer to death

Edited by Triszin

I was just working on a Consolidated Terrain Cheat Sheet for the actual terrain that I've got here at home to use, when it occurred to me that only Infantry, Beasts, and Swarms are allowed to gain the benefit of Cover (whether it be Light, Heavy, or Dense Cover terrain traits).

So, no matter what you do (except House Rule it differently, of course), Monsters, Vehicles, and Cavalry can never gain the benefit of any of these various cover benefits.  

This is made clear on the 'Terrain Features' page, where you'll see that only Infantry, Beasts, or Swarm models are ever eligible to receive the benefits of cover in the sections covering Obstacles and Area Terrain.  It won't be clear if you just go review the Terrain Traits pages, where it describes what Dense, Light, and Heavy Cover do.

EDIT: Also, on a separate note, when looking at the Eternal War Mission Pack, the "Rule of Three," is now an actual rule in the book, and not just a suggestion for Event Organizers.  With the exception of Troops and Dedicated Transports, you can't include the same datasheet in your army more than three times.  

One correction to this bit of information.  It looks like Vehicles and Cavalry would be harder to hit if they meet the requirements for Dense Cover, as the Dense Cover terrain trait does not actually state anything about "models receiving the benefits of cover...." like Light and Heavy Cover do.  

So, no improved saves for Bikers, Thunderwolves, or Dreadnoughts in Ruins, but if those types of units were in Woods, they would be harder to hit.

Finally:  warhammer-community.comFaction Focus: Space Wolves - Warhammer CommunityPrepare for a howling good time, as today’s Faction Focus is on the mighty Space Wolves!

If you’re looking to get your hands on the incredible Indomitus set on July 11th, we can officially confirm that your Primaris Lieutenant, as well as the awesome Bladeguard Veterans and Ancient, will all be picking up the Wolf Guard keyword.

The fact, that he advocates Wulfen und Smash Captains (and thus not ten different flavours of primaris vanilla marines) makes me happy.

But that leads me to a question: When Brad Chester says that the Smash Captain is a good choice and that you should keep some units close to your characters … what would be the best unit to keep up with a Wolf Lord with a Jump Pack?

Finally:  warhammer-community.comFaction Focus: Space Wolves - Warhammer CommunityPrepare for a howling good time, as today’s Faction Focus is on the mighty Space Wolves!

If you’re looking to get your hands on the incredible Indomitus set on July 11th, we can officially confirm that your Primaris Lieutenant, as well as the awesome Bladeguard Veterans and Ancient, will all be picking up the Wolf Guard keyword.

I'll wait til it's in print in a PDF/book.

Warcom has a history of incorrect Info.

Excellent to hope.

Let's see if the wording is correct in the rules first.

As noted, WarCom is not always great at stuff, or the rules writers forget to toss in something...

Usual FAQ/Errata Day 1 BS mess. And yes, Ballistic Skill, what were you thinking?

Can't hit their marks every single time.

Wolf Guard with mobility tools ? 

Also just a reminder for the Blade Guard 

The Wolf Guard get the Vicious Executioners Stratagem, which for 1 CP makes it so whenever a unit of Wolf Guard fighting in the Fight phase roll an unmodified 6 to hit against an Infantry target, they do 1 additional mortal wound to the target.

So  assuming Wulfen Stone on the lord , even that small unit is putting out a very respectable number of STR5 ap -3 D2 Attacks with  mortal wounds on  6s. 
Rerolling wounds if you take the lt  with acesses to an impulsor ( with another slot available if you want something else )  hitting on 2s rerolling 1s 

Skip the ancient as he is worthless to us 

Edited by Lord Blackwood

The fact, that he advocates Wulfen und Smash Captains (and thus not ten different flavours of primaris vanilla marines) makes me happy.

But that leads me to a question: When Brad Chester says that the Smash Captain is a good choice and that you should keep some units close to your characters … what would be the best unit to keep up with a Wolf Lord with a Jump Pack?

Can we do Primaris Jump WG yet?

I certainly would be LOVING some Jump Vet Bladeguard...

Wulfen, I think they can keepup

A thought.

We're expecting in time Bladeguard Vet's to be up to 5, or so.

In the meantime...

For Impulsor rush, what about:

- Impulsor

-  Ragnar

- 1 or 2 HQ's

- Judiciar

- 3 Bladeguard Vets

AND as needed

- Impulsor

- 3 Bladeguard Vets

- 3 Bladeguard Vets\

?

Wulfen, I think they can keepup

Outriders can keep up.

So Blade Guard Party Bus -  Wolf Lord w/ Wulfen Stone , Blade Guard Lt , 3 Blade Guard 

3 Attacks + Wulfen Stone + Shock Assault = 5 x 2 is 10 + 6 from Pack Leader= 16 

Assuming Lt  4 attacks + Wulfen Stone + Shock Assault = 6 

22 STR 5 AP -3 D2 Attacks Hitting on 2s Re rolling 1s , Re Rolling 1s to wound  , 6s Deal an additional Mortal Wound. ( V E) 

--------------------
Now a more Extreme and unreasonable Case 

All of the Above + Assault Doctrine for our super Doctrine  6s generate additional hit.  + Saga of the Wulfkin +1 Attack Across the Board + Genewrought might , We score 2 Additional Hits on 6s instead of 1 

26 STR 5 AP -4 (Assault Phase )  D2 Attacks Hitting on 2s Re rolling 1s , Re Rolling 1s to wound  , 6s count as 3 hits and Deal an additional Mortal Wound. ( V E ) 

And thats not counting whatever your lord is doing. 
Edited by Lord Blackwood

So Blade Guard Party Bus -  Wolf Lord w/ Wulfen Stone , Blade Guard Lt , 3 Blade Guard 

3 Attacks + Wulfen Stone + Shock Assault = 5 x 2 is 10 + 6 from Pack Leader= 16 

Assuming Lt  4 attacks + Wulfen Stone + Shock Assault = 6 

22 STR 5 AP -3 D2 Attacks Hitting on 2s Re rolling 1s , Re Rolling 1s to wound  , 6s Deal an additional Mortal Wound. ( V E) 

--------------------
Now a more Extreme and unreasonable Case 

All of the Above + Assault Doctrine for our super Doctrine  6s generate additional hit.  + Saga of the Wulfkin +1 Attack Across the Board + Genewrought might , We score 2 Additional Hits on 6s instead of 1 

26 STR 5 AP -4 (Assault Phase )  D2 Attacks Hitting on 2s Re rolling 1s , Re Rolling 1s to wound  , 6s count as 3 hits and Deal an additional Mortal Wound. ( V E ) 

And thats not counting whatever your lord is doing. 

Ragnar WL?

And Smash Jarl, might make a decent enough comparison.

Edit:

Want to prove a point?

Strategem: Honor the Chapter

Fight twice. Ooh ow...

Edited by Karack Blackstone

For this im assuming a Wolf Lord of your own making for relic and trait support, but you can still take ragnar , and roll with a wolf priest that has the appropriate saga and wulfen stone. 

Suffice to say  a murder bus is a real option for primaris wolves , and  I am certain standard wolf guard can also reach these obscene levels of output as well if you wanna stack it so high. 

I wouldn’t go overboard with Bladeguard Vets, though; especially if you already have other dedicated Assault units, like Wulfen or Thunderwolf Cavalry. A unit of 3-5 with a Wolf Lord/Ragnar and maybe a supporting character in an Impulsor should be plenty. Ragnar already shreds pretty much every unit that he touches.

Play testers have made it clear that 9e is mostly about Board Control, so Mobile, Durable, units with Objective Secured will be key. If you pick the right Secondaries, you can win 9e games without killing a single enemy model.

I wouldn’t go overboard with Bladeguard Vets, though; especially if you already have other dedicated Assault units, like Wulfen or Thunderwolf Cavalry. A unit of 3-5 with a Wolf Lord/Ragnar and maybe a supporting character in an Impulsor should be plenty. Ragnar already shreds pretty much every unit that he touches.

Play testers have made it clear that 9e is mostly about Board Control, so Mobile, Durable, units with Objective Secured will be key. If you pick the right Secondaries, you can win 9e games without killing a single enemy model.

Between the increase in points, Bladeguard Vets likely being best as / at a single five man unit...

And Vet Intercessors being a near must, especially with ABR's or BR's, what are your thoughts on the "default core" Primaris force thus far?

Also does make this more interesting, as normal 2K pt games seem to still be the norm.

what are your thoughts on the "default core" Primaris force thus far?

Also does make this more interesting, as normal 2K pt games seem to still be the norm.

Yeah, 2k point games are likely to be the norm going forward. As far as the Core of a Primaris force of SW, I’m still thinking that through. You can read my Buying Guide thread that I’ve got in here to read through some initial thoughts, and I’ll be updating and reposting my Army Building Guide very soon, too.

Here is the link to the Buying Guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a_27-_uvGFx4x0cbw_10blq43PYcNVw7PuuiMr6teCo/edit?usp=sharing