the BIG 9th edition room

As with all honour/rank markings, I apply them liberally and mostly without consistency :teehee:

Aesthetically I really like the stripes, but I know I'm not the one to ask regarding uniformity.

Are there any rumors or scuttlebutt of a painting event to kick off the new indomitus box? I know necrons have one going on but what about astartes, and, specifically, black templars?

EDIT: Saw there was a Knightfall 2019 thread that stretched into 2020 but never got acted on.  Is that something that can be helped with? What would need to be done?

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

so, had my first game with Firstborn only against a Primaris Ultramarines army.

I won 60:40 but just because of the lack of experience of my opponent.

We played a 1250 match and I used a

Indomitus Marshal with Crusader helmet ( I know its a Primaris but the only one in the whole army) as Frontline Commander

Grimaldus (Fermenent Acclamation + Divine Protection)

Emperors champion

5 Initiates with 2Fists and 3 Neophytes

5 Initiates with 2Fists and 2 Neophytes

5 Initiates with CombiPlasma and Plasmagun

3 Rhinos with Stormbolter

5 Company Veterans with Stormshields and chainswords + 1 hammer

5 Company Veterans with Stormshields and chainswords + 1 hammer

Ironclad Dreadknought

It was a tough game against

Primaris Captain with Heavy Stalker Boltgun (WL-Trait one Unit in Tactical Doctrine in 6") and Burning Blade

Primaris Lieutenant with Power Sword

Invictor

Redemptor

10 Intercessors with one Powersword

10 Intercessors 

5 Intercessors

5 Aggressors with Boltstormgauntlet

its not that easy for me to describe it well (english is not my mother tongue - I just try hard to be understandable here ).

He took the wrong Secondaries except kill more (which he achieved often - which is logical) and I was able to score quite well). It was mission with 4 marker and the quarter deployment.

He took X(vehicle 2vp / 3 vp for 11+ wounds), the misson secondary (which was a big mistake) and kill more

I chose "raise banner", all fronts ( I think thats the name - each quarter 3VP...), and X(same as he choose)

In first round Grimaldus failed "devine protection" which lead to a dead dreadknought. And I was able to charge the Invictor with all my units and used devot push to go into combat with a crusadersquad into the 10 man squad too which i hold tight with our stratagem so that he was not able to leave combat and had problems to move his whole army. 

Short form

The Rhinos did the job. I always charged with them and tried to stay on a marker and with the fallowing units killed the charged unit in close combat. I lost everything except 1 rhino and the shooty crusadersquad but in the whole game I always scored and try to hold him back from the markers no matter the casaulties which was successful.

my thoughts:

Ultramarines are extremly powerful and very tough to play against because their redeployment and overwatch stratagems and their ability to switch doctrines. And the first round his dice were incredibly overperforming^^.

the emperors champion is so good against characters without invul-save but his captain did save 5of5(after reroll one) and so killed both characters off after Grim died in overwatch (Ultras have a stratagem which make charges very dangerous). Both characters are not good in competitive gaming.

Grimaldus is not good because we cannot reroll for litanies which is very important - he was just a big fail ( I always wonder how people think he is good)

Crusadersquads are not bad but not easy to play - especially without any supporting characters ( I had to split my army)

the shooty crusadersquad never done anything then staying on objective marker.

The Company Veterans performing well but if the enemy want to kill them - he will achieve it - as all firstborn, you need support for them and you have to jump from terrain to terrain.

normal dreads or ironclads without aurelian shroud and stratagem and fnp are not worth it.

Edited by Medjugorje

its not that easy for me to describe it well (english is not my mother tongue - I just try hard to be understandable here ).

He took the wrong Secondaries except kill more (which he achieved often - which is logical) and I was able to score quite well). It was mission with 4 marker and the quarter deployment.

He took X(vehicle 2vp / 3 vp for 11+ wounds), the misson secondary (which was a big mistake) and kill more

I chose "raise banner", all fronts ( I think thats the name - each quarter 3VP...), and X(same as he choose)

In first round Grimaldus failed "devine protection" which lead to a dead dreadknought. And I was able to charge the Invictor with all my units and used devot push to go into combat with a crusadersquad into the 10 man squad too which i hold tight with our stratagem so that he was not able to leave combat and had problems to move his whole army. 

Short form

The Rhinos did the job. I always charged with them and tried to stay on a marker and with the fallowing units killed the charged unit in close combat. I lost everything except 1 rhino and the shooty crusadersquad but in the whole game I always scored and try to hold him back from the markers no matter the casaulties which was successful.

my thoughts:

Ultramarines are extremly powerful and very tough to play against because their redeployment and overwatch stratagems and their ability to switch doctrines. And the first round his dice were incredibly overperforming^^.

the emperors champion is so good against characters without invul-save but his captain did save 5of5(after reroll one) and so killed both characters off after Grim died in overwatch (Ultras have a stratagem which make charges very dangerous). Both characters are not good in competitive gaming.

Grimaldus is not good because we cannot reroll for litanies which is very important - he was just a big fail ( I always wonder how people think he is good)

Crusadersquads are not bad but not easy to play - especially without any supporting characters ( I had to split my army)

the shooty crusadersquad never done anything then staying on objective marker.

The Company Veterans performing well but if the enemy want to kill them - he will achieve it - as all firstborn, you need support for them and you have to jump from terrain to terrain.

normal dreads or ironclads without aurelian shroud and stratagem and fnp are not worth it.

Lol! If nothing is worth it then how did you pull out victory?  (Not arguing with you, perse, just curious).

Thank you Medj, I appreciate you writing all of that out. Sounds solid to me, like you correctly focused on the mission and the ultramarine player was too focused on killing things to score properly. 

I agree regarding Grimaldus, a single 3+ that cannot be re-rolled is far too unreliable. I prefer a standard Master of Sanctity with the Ancient Breviary. Grimaldus's main use is his exploding sixes aura and his anti-psyker abilities. 

Well played

Thank you Medj, I appreciate you writing all of that out. Sounds solid to me, like you correctly focused on the mission and the ultramarine player was too focused on killing things to score properly.

I agree regarding Grimaldus, a single 3+ that cannot be re-rolled is far too unreliable. I prefer a standard Master of Sanctity with the Ancient Breviary. Grimaldus's main use is his exploding sixes aura and his anti-psyker abilities.

Well played

Sometimes your opponent snatches defeat from the jaws of victory. Sometimes, you do. :)

Whew. Y'all have been zealous in your posting. I wanted to get caught up on this topic and y'all put 30 more pages on it! Hahaha!

9th edition will see me finally resurrecting my crusade in full! Even if it's just a hobby project. 8th edition and primaris blind sided me. I was so committed to being conversion heavy with lots of tabards on my Templars in 7th that when I saw primaris I didn't know what to do.

The BT upgrade kit tabards don't fit. I immediately wanted to use better proportioned marines, so primaris or lots of truescale work on the old marines. But off more than I can chew.

I recently decided that my Templars don't need so many tabards. They didn't have them in 3rd edition when I started! So I will build a core army using primaris, and then afterwards I can dedicate time to adding tabarded marines after I have an actually playable fully built and painted army.

Ignoring primaris fluff, just looking at unit rules and making the models look right is all I care about. So I will probably have an entirely truescale/Primaris-sized force, and just run those adhoc marines as whatever unit they need to be.

I am excited to run crusader squads with 2 wound marines and AP-1 chainswords in land raider crusaders!

Edited by Canadian_F_H

nice report :smile.:

I didn't get the tactic with the charging transports could you explain?

If i understand it correctly he charged the Rhinos in so they sat on the objective. His opponent then had the choice to fall back and shoot, thus leaving the objective, or holding on but loosing out on shooting.

@Medju: Thanks for the wrap up, it's good to get insights on current play when we so rarely get the opportunity to roll dice (and we Germans get it good with low rates and lose restrictions...)

The other advantage of charging with the Rhino is that if your opponent does fancy overwatching, they can only shoot the Rhino. It also gives the Rhino an extra attack, and it can still shoot its storm bolter(s) so it's pretty much a no brainer now.

I also recommend doing it with Land Raider Crusaders, as you also get the benefit of the frag launchers.

Thank you as well for playing with firstborn only (minus the marshal, but we can overlook it because zeal). I own zero primaris, and I'm sure there are many others here as well in the same boat that want more firstborn reports and strategy.

I've been thinking about buying more rhinos for my crusade, since I have only 1 rhino and 4 drop pods. That charging strategy seems good.

The upcoming changes certainly look like they're going to shake the boat quite a bit. I like the fact that the wound changes make Crusaders a potentially competing choice to the CC Intercessors - Either you get higher CC ability or wound allocation shenanigans from Neophytes. Unless they get scummed by price, of course. 

I'm worried about the Vanguard Vets, though. A price increase on them may very well eclipse the value of a second wound, given their shock troop role. 

Hi guys, first post in this section.

After reading Helsreach, I am inspired to start a Primaris Black Templars army :-)

My idea for an initial 1750pt list, based of the Indomitus models is a Battalion consisting of the following....

- Gravis Marshal (Warlord, Epitome of Piety, Aurelian Shroud)

- Primaris Chaplain (MoS, Hero of the Chapter - Frontline Commander)

- 4*5 Assault Intercessors with Plasma in Sword Brethren

- 5 Aggressors with Flamestorm Gauntlet

- 2*3 Eradicators

- 2*Repulsor with TLC, Heavy OGT, OGT, 5* Fragstorm

The basic plan is for 10 of the Intercessors to go in each Repulsor, Marshal to re-roll buff the Eradicators from Midfield, and the Chaplain to come in from Reserve with the Aggressors.

-----

Which Litanies and/or Relics would you suggest for the Chaplain? I was thinking Ancient Breviary, plus Divine Protection and Remorseless Persecution. I am open to any and all suggestions!

Thanks, Brothers.