the BIG 9th edition room

Can someone give me the cliff notes as to why +3”?

It really doesn’t seem that... good imo.

Why not move or stick your models closer? Maybe I’ve never had a situation where I wished I had 3 extra inches. Maybe it allows for strats that I haven’t thought of...

But I feel like there are better options

Between Grimaldus, Helbrecht, possibly a Lieutenant, and the Aurillian Shroud, we have a lot of auras. Sure, if you move your whole army in a single clump, everyone already gets the benefit... but usually you don't want to do that, or even can't do that. Sometimes one unit needs to charge this while another unit charges that, or one unit advanced up the field while another unit hangs back to raise a banner, or etc.

Fervent Acclamation didn't sound very exciting to me on paper, but after a few games trying to march a bunch of dudes up the field, I came to appreciate it a lot more. A 9" aura covers more than twice as much area as a 6" aura.

Grimaldus is a must take against psyker heavy armies and 3+ to cast litanies isnt bad unless you have terrible luck.

Typically, you have to build your list before knowing whether you'll fight a psyker-heavy army, and even when facing psykers, one deny with no bonus doesn't go very far. (With his WLT, two denies with +1 is better, but if you're playing by 9e rules where you have to declare everything before seeing the opponent's list, it's a pretty questionable use of a warlord trait.) Unreliable litanies are fine in some lists, but if your game plan relies on a litany (eg, Canticle for deep strikers, or Divine Protection to keep a land raider alive), then failing one time in three is rough.

Grimaldus is great value for his points, but in some lists he doesn't really do what you need. Lacking a jump pack/bike is also sometimes an issue.

Edited by Hymnblade

well said.

Exactly what is my experience. Grimaldus is not bad but if you see what other models can do then he is really bad in comparison. In this edition you have to split your army more often and then bigger auras are great - especially on objective marker and strategic reserves - dont forget that every character increases his aura, not just the chaplain himself.

Edited by Medjugorje

Listening to Max Feleij discuss his BladeGuard Black Templar, (he only painted one BladeGuard, and he chose the Templar)

Not only did he do it for the reasons Maxime stated, i.e. that they wanted it to be an exemplar of the chapter, but he also thought that, for all of the other chapters the idea of a marine going on crusade for 50 years and accumulating a lot of extra bling and trinkets is really unusual, so those guys would be veterans. But for the Black Templars, being on Crusade for that long is like a Tuesday. So that guy, for Max, is an initiate, and that much adornment is to be expected for a senior initiate.

I doubt that'd be a permanent posting. I mean, maybe permanent serfs and servitors (additional serfs are then recruited from the local population as current ones expire) and you have a rotating presence of marines, most commonly chaplains and apothecaries as well as regular battle brothers who are only there temporary to oversee the latest recruitement?

I doubt that'd be a permanent posting. I mean, maybe permanent serfs and servitors (additional serfs are then recruited from the local population as current ones expire) and you have a rotating presence of marines, most commonly chaplains and apothecaries as well as regular battle brothers who are only there temporary to oversee the latest recruitement?

And select their next Initiates, of course.

I think it's plausible. We know they are often abandoned and left unmanned. Unread one story about a Crusade going back to one abandoned keep which had been built and abandoned so long beforehand that the planet had been recolonised in the interim and the new Imperial citizens had no clue of its origins.

For my mind it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility for one to be set up by a crusade which was wiped out or lost in the warp, or the relieving fleet being time displaced.

I can't think of anything more 40k and depressing than a trained battle brother being left to rot, forgotten about on a backwater world with no chance of glory.

I think it's plausible. We know they are often abandoned and left unmanned. Unread one story about a Crusade going back to one abandoned keep which had been built and abandoned so long beforehand that the planet had been recolonised in the interim and the new Imperial citizens had no clue of its origins.

For my mind it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility for one to be set up by a crusade which was wiped out or lost in the warp, or the relieving fleet being time displaced.

I can't think of anything more 40k and depressing than a trained battle brother being left to rot, forgotten about on a backwater world with no chance of glory.

And what kind of world in 40K would be so placid that there is no opportunity for that battle brother to do his duty to the Imperial citizens of that world, however modest that duty might be in comparison?

In an ordinary Chapter, I think it would be difficult to lose track of a Marine, barring something like the entire chapter being wiped out, or the keep being trapped inside a warp storm. A thousand people just isn't that many to keep track of.

Considering the decentralized nature of the Black Templars, it may be somewhat easier: there are lots of chapter keeps, lots of crusades operating independently, and almost nobody who knows about all of it. If, say, a chapter keep was established, but the transmission about it never reached the High Marshal, and then that crusade was destroyed in battle before sending records again, there would be nobody who would know he's even there.

Yeah losing one or two marines stuck in a forgotten chapter keep seems perfectly fine for a chapter that is described as having HUNDREDS of them with most of them being unused or forgotten, most chapters would move heaven and earth to reclaim a lost recruitment spot, Black Templars just conquer more. Personally I think that if a keep goes decades without contact it just goes into hibernation, servitors and generations of serfs take over and all the valuable assets are just put into stasis. 

Yep people have gotten tired of seeing marines so they showed off a new cron model, some terrain, and a couple of books for crusade play and something about bringing your terrain for match play type of thing. 

I'm still over in here in the speculation corner as to what weapon options Assault Intercessors are going to get. Come on give me Eviscerators!! 

Yeah losing one or two marines stuck in a forgotten chapter keep seems perfectly fine for a chapter that is described as having HUNDREDS of them with most of them being unused or forgotten, most chapters would move heaven and earth to reclaim a lost recruitment spot, Black Templars just conquer more. Personally I think that if a keep goes decades without contact it just goes into hibernation, servitors and generations of serfs take over and all the valuable assets are just put into stasis.

Except sons of Dorn are unable to hibernate.

Literally can’t stop won’t stop.

Oh yeah! I forgot we had that flaw. That would really suck.

(Out of interest, when was that lost? because I swear Koorland was in hibernation within the mucus sac when they found him.)

How does everyone feel about neophytes being 1w and having 0ap on their blades?

At least assumed so by the leaked scout sheet

Entirely as expected really. They don't have power armour, so less protection, no inbuilt medicae equipment and no powered strength. So they can't take the hits and can't put the same power behind the blades. 

its perfect. So we have a chaep 1 wound model and one expensive model with 2 wounds in one squad. That could be very interesting.

its perfect. So we have a chaep 1 wound model and one expensive model with 2 wounds in one squad. That could be very interesting.

Assuming neophytes are still cheap and crusader squads still exist, yes. It could be very good!