the BIG 9th edition room

Just looking at that list again, after the Goonhammer review, and they're right, the defensive buffs you can chuck on those terminators in that list is unreal. Storm shields for a 3++, Litany of divine protection for a 5+++, MW shrug on a 4+++ with the cenobytes. Plus selfless healer to heal twice, all on ten terminators with +1 strength and full hit re-rolls and wound re-rolls. Just try and shift that!

And that's with the terminators only having two wounds!

And since he was walking them instead of deep striking he essentially built a wall of power armored bodies with invulnerable saves between the Terminators and the Bladeguard and you could go heavier in that direction if you had the 4++ relic to give some of your troops an invulnerable save and have like 80% of your army be a 2W 3+/4++ horde for a turn and with the Apothecary as back up.

Its a very cool idea.

Well with the new codex it seems everyone can take a super champion with skillful parry.

Thanks GW

EC needs a buffin.
For sure, tired of getting lukewarm updates that then become invalidated. Leveling the playing field with different flavors of the same exact army seems to be GWs style now.

At the very least we are the only ones who can take neophytes as troops now.

I hope...

Edited by SirJyo

The Emperor's Champion needs a buff to make him worthy of that HQ slot. Some sort of aura effect I think. He should be an auto-take, but right now, with chaplains and captains being so decent, he's like the techmarine, just not good enough for the competition, (Arguably, in a mechanised list, he's worse than the techmarine!)

Meanwhile, Judiciars and Apothecaries in Elite slots are rocking out.

The EC still has the blacksword and a 4++ along with the extra attack and strength when attacking characters so its not all bad.

His real downside is that he is a HQ rather than an Elite in an edition where HQ slots are more limited and much more important to an armies functioning. But it does not really matter because you just know that the Templar will not get to take the Chapter Champion upgrade so there is not going to be no list making clashes just another addition to the list of why the grass is greener elsewhere.

Rules hats on people.

The Impulsor's assault vehicle rule has been re-written.

Previously, the rule was that a unit which disembarked after the model had performed a normal move could not be selected to charge this turn.

That was quite a unique wording, and meant that you couldn't use the Emperor's Will stratagem to circumvent the impulsor rule, as the Emperor's Will does enable you to charge when you otherwise couldn't. But didn't allow you to bypass the fact that you still couldn't select the unit in the charge phase.

However, now the rule simply states that a unit which moves after the impulsor made a normal move cannot charge.

So, does that mean, that we can now use the Emperor's Will to move, advance and charge out of an impulsor? Could White Scars?

Rules hats on people.

The Impulsor's assault vehicle rule has been re-written.

Previously, the rule was that a unit which disembarked after the model had performed a normal move could not be selected to charge this turn.

That was quite a unique wording, and meant that you couldn't use the Emperor's Will stratagem to circumvent the impulsor rule, as the Emperor's Will does enable you to charge when you otherwise couldn't. But didn't allow you to bypass the fact that you still couldn't select the unit in the charge phase.

However, now the rule simply states that a unit which moves after the impulsor made a normal move cannot charge.

So, does that mean, that we can now use the Emperor's Will to move, advance and charge out of an impulsor? Could White Scars?

I think, RAW...it wont work because the two rules directly contradict each other.

I don't think the change to wording really affects the situation, because the details of the wording weren't really the issue in the first place. You could always read the rules in a way that The Emperor's will would override Assault Vehicle, but nobody played it that way because it didn't seem like RAI.

I think it will get FAQ'd. But the strat essentially allows you to charge when you otherwise can't. And you can advance out of an Impulsor.

no,... the stratagem allows you to charge although you have advanced this unit. but it says not to ignore each restriction which prevents them to charge.

I don't think the change to wording really affects the situation, because the details of the wording weren't really the issue in the first place. You could always read the rules in a way that The Emperor's will would override Assault Vehicle, but nobody played it that way because it didn't seem like RAI.

no - it never used to be RAW too (and indeed RAI)

With BGV able to take 6-man squads, the Devout Push Impulsor trick has more teeth than ever, even with the reduced invul.

The strat would have to say 'can charge when it would normally not be able to.' instead of 'can charge even if it advanced.' Sadly it doesn't count here, as it only counters the very specific restriction on charging.

It currently says "Use this Stratagem in your Movement phase, when a BLACK TEMPLARS INFANTRY unit from your army Advances. Until the end of this turn, models from that unit can still shoot with their Pistol weapons and the unit can still charge." This is sort of ambiguous, but the use of "can still charge" (you could have charged, up until you declared the Advance move) seems to suggest that it overrides the restriction from Advancing, not that it unconditionally allows you to charge in spite of other restrictions. This isn't totally ironclad though; it is conceivable to read it the other way, it just seems to be uncommon.

I just don't see how the old "cannot be chosen to charge" wording interacts with this in a substantially different way than the new "cannot charge" wording.

It was almost unique. I'm not aware of anything else like it.

To my mind it was deliberate. It meant that regardless of any strats or other rules that allow charging, it made no difference, you couldn't select that unit in the charge phase.

This meant that you could play the Emperor's Will, even on the old rules, and that unit could move out of the Impulsor, advance, fire pistols and was ABLE to charge, but it made no difference, because you couldn't select it.