the BIG 9th edition room

Reinhard the way I see it we got half a starter box in model support. Bladeguard, and the associated close combat indomitus models may be able to be taken by other factions but everyone recognizes that they fit our aesthetic, and I'm willing to bet that box set has created more templar players than other chapter. 

You're certainly free to do so, and how well the Indomitus marines fits our aesthetic certainly hasn't escaped me (nor how poorly it fits some of the other chapters that can take them), nor how it and said aesthetic positively affects the numbers of BT players. I'm quite happy with my Indomitus lot myself.

But they aren't official BT models with the BT cross on them. Last kit they released that had one, was 15 years ago.

I don't need to remind anyone what a slap in the face it was to see every other marine chapter in the codex get a new character model after decades, as well as an upgrade sprue, and then be unceremoniously jumped over. That's still what I want.

Now, I grant you, this rules update is a good thing. The release of the aesthetically pleasing Indomitus was a very good thing. Good things happening is good.

But we're still a square behind as outlined above. But maybe with enough good things happening, and the bolstering of the amount of BT players around the world that brings, it will eventually coax the GW higherups to green light a single character model down the line? We can certainly hope.

Edited by Reinhard

Did we lose the ability to take scouts as troops?

Sscouts are now Elites for every chapter, Neophytes in Crusader squads is the closest you will get to Scout troops.

Regarding Crusader squads it seems like they got a bit of a buff so correct if Im wrong but at less than 10 you get a power weapon or a heavy or a special weapon then at 10 you get to double up on that AND then you get to have a Sword Brother so you could get 3 power weapons in a 10 man or two in a 5 man or two heavy/spciaal weapon at 10. Thats nice contents for a drop pod.

Edited by redmapa

Did we lose the ability to take scouts as troops?

Sscouts are now Elites for every chapter, Neophytes in Crusader squads is the closest you will get to Scout troops.

Regarding Crusader squads it seems like they got a bit of a buff so correct if Im wrong but at less than 10 you get a power weapon or a heavy or a special weapon then at 10 you get to double up on that AND then you get to have a Sword Brother so you could get 3 power weapons in a 10 man or two in a 5 man or two heavy/spciaal weapon at 10. Thats nice contents for a drop pod.

No, they are bullet points, it's the same as always

what does smokescreen? I know its a stratagem for 1 CP but I dont know what it does.

I would advise people dropping them a message to remind them about our Super Doctrine.
About the Supplement, I want to believe, but I'm too emotionally involved to have clear insight into it.

I hope they will change it.

So what does everyone think of the changes to our "supplement" as well as the possible hint in the article that we'll get an actual supplement?

Definitely NOT getting a supplement. If one goes through all the FAQs, they'll see that they say exactly which chapters are getting a supplement, and those are BA, DA, SW, and DW.

I doubt BT will have just this Index Astartes PDF until 10th edition.

The new codex does not have the Crusader squad page.

This will have to be adressed somewhere besides this PDF, aswell our Super Doctrine.

If all special units and chars are being moved to an extra supplement, it is not hard to imagine that eventually we will have one aswell.

@seahawk, those were announced before hand so it's normal they have been mentioned as such.

Edited by Sete

To me it seems like they are trying to phase out Faith and Fury for Space Marines in entirety, so that when the Chaos Space Marine codex comes out, it can be fully deprecated.

They'll want to do print rules at some point. Whether that means a separate supplement, merged in some way with the IF supplement or strung along in another campaign book, I don't know.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

So what are people's thoughts following the mini supplement thing that got published today?

I had a browse and there were some nice strats, relics and rules in there.

Missing Super Doctrine is the most glaring fault.

Has the same amount of Lore as Faith and Fury. ;)

Edited by Sete

I'm really pleased on the whole. The Champ is better, albeit probaly still not good enough to warrant a HQ slot, but is interesting. 

For me, Grimaldus is the real winner, him losing MoS, but keeping two litanies is really interesting, I just hope it wasn't also an oversight. Now we can take two chaplains and run 4 litanies with a host of other cool buffs.

The Knights of Sigismund debacle is just flat out funny. It was so bad that losing it completely is actually less of a problem than what happened to the IF!

The champ is better simply because he now has fight first built in, which makes him a good solo target for Divine Push, as well as allowing him to interrupt charges without needing to spend 2 CP. That single tweak makes him more of a loaded gun option than he has been through all of 8th.

His sword becoming flat damage 2 is a wash. 1D3 damage can theoretically roll higher, but it never did for me. Regardless of the -1 damage defensive buffs other units might have, flat 2 is consistent, and consistency is good.

The missing doctrine must be an error, I've just noticed it isn't there.

All I can say it that hopefully this indicates a full BT supplement with new units and characters might be on the way.

I doubt it, historically we have always gotten less then everyone else in the same codex and the wording of the FAQ for us is different than for the chapters that are announced to get a supplement, we are not getting this to get by or use in the meantime, this is it.

At most we might get a White Dwarf supplement but I seriously doubt we will get a full supplement.

I emailed GW faq regarding this situation and I gave them my thoughts about the state of the chapter, I would encourage everyone to email them and remind them that this FAQ is incomplete but remember to be cordial and kind.