the BIG 9th edition room

Still not sure what to play as bt in 9th. And what to buy now. Repaint terminators? Rekit vets with claws?

What to do with 50 chainsword dudes?

The 50 scouts are going to shelf...

Still do not like primaris, but have some because playing Path To Glory and random gave me repulsor, some reivers and infiltrators.

Unless you’re a hardcore tournament player just play what you think is cool

Sometimes I wish there were such a thing as a dislike button.

My faith is starting to flag, brothers. Need a sign that we actually have something coming in 2021. I have a friend who already has all of his army books announced and on the map, but aside from the generic marines book I don't play anything that's gotten a 9th touch up. Would be nice to see some leaks.

Sometimes I wish there were such a thing as a dislike button.

My faith is starting to flag, brothers. Need a sign that we actually have something coming in 2021. I have a friend who already has all of his army books announced and on the map, but aside from the generic marines book I don't play anything that's gotten a 9th touch up. Would be nice to see some leaks.

Faith in the God Emperor.

He will provide.

We have some solid rumours, just the Helbrecth rumour comes from 4 different sources.

Edited by Sete

Still not sure what to play as bt in 9th. And what to buy now. Repaint terminators? Rekit vets with claws?

What to do with 50 chainsword dudes?

The 50 scouts are going to shelf...

Still do not like primaris, but have some because playing Path To Glory and random gave me repulsor, some reivers and infiltrators.

Turn some Primaris into Vanguard Veterns. They have 2 attacks and 2 wounds now.

I'm finding a lot of use for Infiltrators as a secondary Troops choice at the moment. Evidently, Assault Intercessors are the near-perfect Troop for BT because of fluff and Chapter Tactics.

However, having a unit or 2 of Infiltrators with a Helix has really helped as a semi-resilient area of denial against Deep Strike shenanigans whilst everything else in my list is designed to point forwards and purge heresy.

I am hoping so much that I can get so many more games in during 2021 than I originally hoped; 2020 has been a painful year and I didn't realise how much my fortnightly gaming sessions, over a few beers and food, helped take my mind off real-life stressors. I will try and game at least weekly once things (hopefully) begin to clear up a bit.

Stay safe all :thumbsup:

I had a similar feeling when I thought firstborn were to be phased out.

Even if we don't get a new hellbrecht in the spring, I'll be happy we have decent rules. And that we will be the only successor chapter with a supplement all our own.

For me I'm starting to get bored of the game. What do you brothers do when you are no longer finding it as fun? Switching to a new army is not an option.

Even if we don't get a new hellbrecht in the spring, I'll be happy we have decent rules. And that we will be the only successor chapter with a supplement all our own.

For me I'm starting to get bored of the game. What do you brothers do when you are no longer finding it as fun? Switching to a new army is not an option.

Being perfectly honest? I play Sigmar. I have a fairly comprehensive Khorne army. I also play games that aren't GW at all.

But the best way to keep 40K interesting is to play Crusade. Start out with a 50 PL force, name all of your characters and units, and play 25 PL beginner Crusade with any friends you can talk into it. As you build your force up you can construct a narrative for the evolving campaign. It's about the only thing that's kept 9th interesting for me so far. Lower PL matches with a strong story element are a lot more fun than the 2,000 point slug matches I played a ton of in 8th.

Maybe try some historicals, or do a few allied units for your crusade, such as celestial lions or Liberators or other BT affiliated chapters?

Here's a thought: Death Guard lost their 5+ to resist damage, and instead Disgustingly Resilient changed to -1 Damage to a minimum of 1, now offering no protection against Mortal Wounds. While far more situational, BT's 5+ against Mortal Wounds is still quite powerful and scales linearly, similar to the old DR. RZ protecting against overheating weapons on vehicles, and exploding vehicles, and other sources, doesn't make a huge amount of sense in the fluff. Might Righteous Zeal get changed once we get a proper rules update? If so, what would you be willing to accept as a replacement for that component of our Chapter Tactics? 

Well first off plasma (overheating) doesn't produce a mortal wound, it just slays the model, which means Righteous Zeal does nothing to protect against it. So fluff and rules match here.

As far as vehicle explosions...the main point of the 2nd bullet of Righteous Zeal (5+ FnP vs. mortal wounds) is really to reflect the BT relentlessness regarding psychic attacks, the primary damage for which is mortal wound generation.  That makes sense fluff-wise and works mechanically.  So it really doesn't make sense to remove that ability and give them a -1 damage, which does nothing to protect them against the aforementioned psychic attacks, just so it could be MORE fluffy about NOT protecting them from exploding vehicles. 

Plus it's a good compensation for a somewhat lackluster (and nerfed from 8th edition) 2nd half of chapter tactic (which is rerolling failed charges).  I say nerfed from 8th edition because it used to allow one or both dice reroll.  Plus, Blood Angels +1" charge/advance is better. 

Also, giving them -1 damage is then stepping on Death Guard's chapter tactic and I think GW is striving for bespoke rules and such.  So, no, I don't think it will happen; also consider that they also already printed the Righteous Zeal chapter tactic in the Space Marine codex.  Which means that GW has reviewed RZ for 9th edition and found the current rule to be printworthy. 

I dunno, it's pretty fluffy that their righteous zeal protects them from explosions as well.as psychic attacks. It shows how nothing will stop us from getting to you, not witchery nor dying tanks.

Grimaldus survived a cathedral falling on him after all.

I dunno, it's pretty fluffy that their righteous zeal protects them from explosions as well.as psychic attacks. It shows how nothing will stop us from getting to you, not witchery nor dying tanks.

I suppose, although if the intent was "nothing stop us from getting to you!" wouldn't it be just a straightup 5+ (or 6+) FnP?   I really think it's meant to be more anti-psyker, with vehicle-explosion defense a byproduct of the way the mortal wound rules are constructed.

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

I suppose, although if the intent was "nothing stop us from getting to you!" wouldn't it be just a straightup 5+ (or 6+) FnP?   I really think it's meant to be more anti-psyker, with vehicle-explosion defense a byproduct of the way the mortal wound rules are constructed.

Perhaps they could get around this with "5+ to ignore mortal wounds inflicted in the Psychic phase"?

Its described in the fluff of the CT as the amount of Faith™️ lets them shrug off even the worst wounds.

So explosions are still covered and ofc it pairs well with the psychic stuff.

Since we aren't the strongest chapter melee output wise this gives us much more utility and I hope GW doesn't change it.

Also hope GW gets those other codexes out cause I feel bad consistently steamrolling my friends with devout push and tenacious assault.

Well first off plasma (overheating) doesn't produce a mortal wound, it just slays the model, which means Righteous Zeal does nothing to protect against it. So fluff and rules match here.

As far as vehicle explosions...the main point of the 2nd bullet of Righteous Zeal (5+ FnP vs. mortal wounds) is really to reflect the BT relentlessness regarding psychic attacks, the primary damage for which is mortal wound generation.  That makes sense fluff-wise and works mechanically.  So it really doesn't make sense to remove that ability and give them a -1 damage, which does nothing to protect them against the aforementioned psychic attacks, just so it could be MORE fluffy about NOT protecting them from exploding vehicles. 

Plus it's a good compensation for a somewhat lackluster (and nerfed from 8th edition) 2nd half of chapter tactic (which is rerolling failed charges).  I say nerfed from 8th edition because it used to allow one or both dice reroll.  Plus, Blood Angels +1" charge/advance is better. 

Also, giving them -1 damage is then stepping on Death Guard's chapter tactic and I think GW is striving for bespoke rules and such.  So, no, I don't think it will happen; also consider that they also already printed the Righteous Zeal chapter tactic in the Space Marine codex.  Which means that GW has reviewed RZ for 9th edition and found the current rule to be printworthy.

Overheating Plasma causes a Mortal Wound on vehicles. I'd be a bit upset if one bad To Hit Roll on a Macro Plasma Incinerator completely smoked an otherwise unscathed Redemptor Dreadnought. 

I wasn't thinking of -1 damage specifically, but since they've changed the way Disgustingly Resilient works, I got curious as to what else they might change going forwards. Realistically RZ won't change until there's a new SM Codex, but it's arguably the hardest part of our rules to reconcile with what's happening in-universe. DG have a supernatural ability that allows them to ignore wounds that by all rights should kill them. While our MW resistance is more situational, it's meant to represent some combination of zealous hatred of the foe and a super-human force of will inherited from Rogal Dorn, not so much the literal ability to shrug off wounds in the style of the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. 

The question I wanted to put forward was less "do you think it will happen", and more "should such a thing happen, what change would you like to see?". For example, would you prefer to trade it out for something that offers better protection, but only against Psychic attacks? Alternatively, would you prefer to trade out that form of defence for an offensive buff, and if so, what would you consider worthwhile? 

I never talk about the Chapter tactic. I thouhgt more on our litany. The codex is already written...!!!

Ok, so about Litanies, I think we can all agree that Psalm of Remorseless Persecution and Vow of Retribution are the weakest of the litter. How would we feel about replacing these with something like +X" to charges, or Immunity to Combat Attrition? Do you think there's a more important base that we don't have covered at the moment? 

I

never talk about the Chapter tactic. I thouhgt more on our litany. The codex is already written...!!!

Edited by CastellanDeMolay