Rhavien's Sons of Sanguinius

Rhavien
Go to solution Solved by Rhavien,

Congratulations on kid2, lots going on in your life, a little less hoby time can be forgiven, just remember to make some time for yourself to stay sane!

Awesome motor pool right there, love the old baal and vindi. Jole beat me to it in asking what model that was for the whirly, it looks cool, something about exposed tracks at the top...

Your golds are awesome also.

image.png.a83a5dd4887ba64bddd07d84b366cb7a.png

16 hours ago, Majkhel said:

Hey Rhavien, I saw your BA Leviathan in the 12MoHC thread. Have to say it looks really well posed. Could I bother you to make some pics of different angles?

Sure, here they are. Only the legs and hips are glued right now. The torso is disassembled again for painting. I looked at pictures of people sprinting and tried to translate it onto the Levi. Crushing full force into a tank with the siegedrill, melta blazing! At first I just pinned one foot with a tack which already gave a good stability, but I realized that the torso had a lot of weight when fully assembled, so I added another pin. 

IMG_20230221_153643_edit_327872349952050.jpg

IMG_20230221_153701_edit_327855797347886.jpg

IMG_20230221_153716_edit_327842535626533.jpg

IMG_20230221_153637_edit_327882641758298.jpg

6 hours ago, Xenith said:

Congratulations on kid2, lots going on in your life, a little less hoby time can be forgiven, just remember to make some time for yourself to stay sane!

Awesome motor pool right there, love the old baal and vindi. Jole beat me to it in asking what model that was for the whirly, it looks cool, something about exposed tracks at the top...

Your golds are awesome also.

Thanks Xenith! I try to find some more hobby time, hence why I participate in the 12 month challenge. 

If you like the vintage tanks I can add an old painted annihilator and a, still not painted after over 20 years annihilator :) I also like the 3d printed one. The kit is super modular. You can make anything from a rhino to a pred and vindicator. There are 2 variants of everything. One vintage and one modern looking. Even upper track guards, but yeah, for the lighter tanks I prefer them open, too. In the end I only printed one whirlwind for myself and three preds for a friend of mine. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Rhavien said:

I guess now it's time for a proper ride for all those terminators and Bladeguard. 

You and me both my friend. I recently stripped and will soon repaint my ancient Crusader so it's gonna be interesting to see who, what and how many I can put in it. 

Awesome job on those Bladeguard as well. Especially love the job you've done on the shields, they're fantastic. 

• 1 month later...

That red is beautiful, and the weathering is spot on.

The decals... ugh.  I wish decals looked less like stickers.  You placed them perfectly but you can still see that faint outline of the sheet they print them on and it's always a bummer.  It keeps me away from ever using decals even though I think they add a real pop to a unit if you can figure out how to get rid of the weird outline they leave behind, something I haven't ever figured out.

Gorgeous tank, Rhavien, my complaints about decals aside, I would be honored to have this model in my repertoire.  Great job!!!

1 hour ago, DemonGSides said:

The decals... ugh.  I wish decals looked less like stickers.  You placed them perfectly but you can still see that faint outline of the sheet they print them on and it's always a bummer.  It keeps me away from ever using decals even though I think they add a real pop to a unit if you can figure out how to get rid of the weird outline they leave behind, something I haven't ever figured out.

I can help you with that one. First of all you need to apply a small patch of clear gloss varnish where the transfer is going to be. This provides a flat surface for the transfer to stick to and gets rid of the pale shadow of the film.

Next, apply the transfer using something called Microsol. As the name implies, this is a solvent that softens the transfer and makes it lie really flat. It also softens the edges slightly so you don't get an outline around the edge.

Lastly apply a coat of matt varnish. This seals in the transfer, hides the edges and covers up the gloss you applied previously. You can see the finished result here on my SW Repulsor. The transfers are pretty much invisible and look almost painted on (almost :wink:).

gallery_82363_15236_472318.jpg

Edited by Karhedron

Thank you all! I really appreciate your kind words and feedback :biggrin:

@DemonGSides well actually I skipped the step to undercoat with shiny varnish. At least this was recommended in the tutorials I've seen. However, I gave them the matt varnish treatment which drastically improved the look. It seems to me, that there is also some difference in quality of the decals over time. The skull was from a far newer decal sheet, while the others easily could be ten years and older :happy:

8 hours ago, Karhedron said:

I can help you with that one. 

Woops! Somehow your answer wasn't there yet, when I was typing my reply to demonGsides. 

That is a great advice Karhedron! Your Repulsor really looks ace and the decals are spot on! Do you paint the whole armor panel with gloss varnish, or just the vague area where the decal will go? Does it blend it afterwards? And which brand do you use? I got the GW gloss and matt. 

Guess I need to apply some test decals on an old rhino or something. 

I just paint the area vaguely around the transfer rather than the whole panel. I actually use pledge floor polish which is a trick I picked up from railway and aircraft modelling. But any decent acrylic gloss varnish should do the trick. Once I go over it with matt, it seems to blend in OK. For small areas like shoulder pads, GW Lahmian Medium works well. For larger panels like the Repulsor, I normally use a rattle can of Testors Dullcote to make everything look nice a flat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...