GW's supply drops are coming (mystery models inside)

GreenScorpion

I have never been a fan of the blind bag thing (though my kids love them). This seems like a mystery start collecting kit and I just prefer to know what I am getting.

That said if you want a mystery start collecting kit then go for it.

Edited by JJD

A "loot crate" type of product and a "loot box" type of productare are two entirely different animals.

Loot creates are a "fun", mysterious way to get some neat things at a lower price. There are always busts and crap boxes but overall they're not generally too bad (if you're into the product the company is offering).

Loot boxes are an aggressive and predatory form of (usually) digital marketing and sales usually aimed at fleecing the wallets of unsuspecting patrons under the guise of "four a few bucks more you MIGHT get that rare item your looking for".

As for this specific product, is too early to say for sure until we know what's in the boxes.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

I don't understand, why is this so negatively recieved? There is no ingame benefit from these Supply Drops. You don't like them - you don't buy them. You're not gona miss out on anything if you ignore their existence.

Unless they contain unique models which you can't get anywhere else (e.g. Catachan Colonel) there is nothing to complain about.

because they are a predatory method of business, look you get 50% off a box full of minis then you get 150£ worth of minis that are practically worthless.

I don't understand, why is this so negatively recieved? There is no ingame benefit from these Supply Drops. You don't like them - you don't buy them. You're not gona miss out on anything if you ignore their existence.

Unless they contain unique models which you can't get anywhere else (e.g. Catachan Colonel) there is nothing to complain about.

because they are a predatory method of business, look you get 50% off a box full of minis then you get 150£ worth of minis that are practically worthless.

Except they're worth £150.

As Sarabando said, it could well be junk and a fixed loadout (In your territory) for the box means the resale value of that thing is going to drop off too, which isnt so bad long term for a bits seller but its jank for an average customer as suddenly everyone is trying to sell Venerable dreadnoughts or Jokaero or whatever.

Like i said before a bad practise does not become good because its widespread, and i think there is a big difference between a sub £5 blind bag and £75 of models, which for most people is hardly a super casual purchase o.O 

The value of a product isnt just its shelf value, i mean imagine you opened the box and found 20 Captain Coteaz blisters (Just picking a universally hated sculpt, i know he is oop) you couldnt argue you got good value there. Now yes it is territory locked but you are still gambling on what is actually in the box and whether that is useful in your situation.

As for this specific product, is too early to say for sure until we know what's in the boxes.

This is my view as well. 

When we start to see the contents, if every box is roughly interchangeable, then this is fine. No big deal.

If 1% of the boxes have some kind of exclusive special mini that can't be otherwise obtained, then this is a problem. 

I'll go against the grain here a bit and say I'm fine with it as long as they DON'T include 1 off or create limited minis for these. As mentioned these will likely be great for bits if you're looking for a wide range of things (maybe dioramas etc). Once they leverage FOMO and gambling though with limited stuff I'd be pretty disappointed because I'm not gonna play that game.

I'll quote this because THIS is the loot box model, which this supply drop thing (probably) isn't doing.  GW has unfortunately already waded into these waters with the Space Marine series which are blind buys, although at least you can (maybe?) buy a whole box and eliminate the randomness with those?

But like the Librarian and Sororitas they put up a few months ago where they were like "purge the FOMO!" explicitly in the marketing--that left a really bad taste in my mouth, and were they to move to a model where some increasing portion of their models were put behind a blind-buy wall like loot boxes or card booster packs, I mean, that's an ugly tactic that I would really be sad to see adopted by GW any further.

Noserenda, the wording in the announcement and the product itself, plus the fact that they state it is a selection of kits makes it unlikely to have many repeated kits in it.

Regarding its price, I would argue that it having a high price tag actually discourages casual/impulsive purchases. At a risk of repeating myself, if somebody gets one of these boxes and ends up underwhelmed by its contents, the most logical reaction is to not buy another box, because they realise it is likely not worth it and kinda expensive to gamble on. Now if they offered a blind troop kit + transport offer for let's say 55 euros, it would be trickier, because you could theorically end up with newer kits like a repulsor and a squad of intercessors or a skorpius and a unit of skitarii, or end up with a chimera and a squad of cadians or eldar guardians and a wave serpent. And although it is still pricey, I would guess some people would actually gamble their chances at basically getting a free intercessor squad versus the risk of getting a pair of +20 year old kits.

And I don't count on these boxes having any exclusive model, as otherwise I bet my indomitus Primaris models that GW would have promoted the heck out of it (this does not mean that they won't do it in future boxes, I'm only betting for this particular one :D). Actually, it would seem this has been an unexpected success by GW or a first wave to test the waters, as they have sold out quite fast without GW hyping it up for a few days beforehand.

Edited by Elzender

Just some math to put things into perspective, since many people have mentioned cadians and other older models.

If you buy a Start Collecting box for the cadians you get ~106€ of models for 70€, which gives around 35% discount.

If you get it at a retailer with for example a 15% discount you pay 59.50€ which means roughly 44% discount from individual models (based on a spanish retailer).
Roughly the same discount and you know what you are getting.

Obviously, the boxes might be a good deal, but it depends on your personal preference and what they decided to put in there, since it is not random.

But like the Librarian and Sororitas they put up a few months ago where they were like "purge the FOMO!" explicitly in the marketing--that left a really bad taste in my mouth, and were they to move to a model where some increasing portion of their models were put behind a blind-buy wall like loot boxes or card booster packs, I mean, that's an ugly tactic that I would really be sad to see adopted by GW any further.

So I loved the fact that they put the Librarian and Sister up for sale; as I understand, both were going to be given away to people who attended tournaments that don't exist in the country that I live in. Selling them allowed me to actually get them; had they not made them available, I'd never have one. Now I will. And I don't care how they marketed it; I'm just glad I'm going to get that model.

I do get the fear with blind releases- if they sell too well, GW might start making blind-box things that we do care about.

So while we can choose not to buy this one, if enough people don't make that choice, the next might be "Okay, every new codex has 3 new kits. The only way to get them is buy a blind box which includes one of the new things and two old things; great deal (they say) because you'll get 3 things for the price of 2.

Of course, we all know it's a crappy deal, because if you just want the three new things, and you end up having to buy 5 blind boxes to get those 3 things, you've paid for 10 things when you only wanted 3; the fact that you got 5 extra things for "free" isn't going to make you feel any better about paying for the extra 7 things.

Now of course, the supply drops that we're actually talking about in this present moment aren't that bad; they are okay, and choosing not to buy them is easy.

But I do understand the fear of the slippery slope.

In the spirit of fun:

theres a bit of a difference. The space marine heroes sets you know roughly what you are getting and what the chances of getting something good. These are 200% more expensive and 0 idea whats in them.

There is a bit of a difference. The space marine heroes have a variable value per buy; I can buy a Heroes 2 single for 27 CAD on amazon but the value of a single terminator varies from 13$ for a duder to 45$ for a captain. That's a swing of -50% to +65%. They then have a variable chance to get the more valuable models. The crate has a flat value per buy; a +100%, it has a flat variable on the content. One is actual gambling, the other is a consistent mystery.

The only gamble is if you will have personal value in the assorted contents of the crate, but that's also present in the heroes packs.

As I had absolutely no idea what to collect after a long hiatus, and as I have more money than sense, though not much of either, I bought the box and I'll commit to making a 100 power level force of whatever jumps out of the box.

I'll either learn a valuable lesson about the value of money and buying blind from a multi million pound corporation, or learn a nice life lesson about taking a punt on a whim.

Either way, it's going to be exciting!

I guess I’ll restrict myself to a single comment, but I feel like someone is either wealthy or insane to buy loot boxes for products this expensive, 50% off or not. Maybe some folks collect enough armies that this will work out.

Seems absolutely insane.

Blind Boxes should be around the £5-10 region not more than that :S

You can somehow warrant that kind of money but at £75 the greed is getting real.

Its the precedence that it sets that worries me, I have no problem with a wacky £75 box that you can try once a year but what happens if GW decides this makes money and makes the Christmas box sets blind and maybe then releases the Start collecting Blind armies collection.

Corporations no longer have any impulse control they have to get every penny out of you.

Edited by Black_Knight

GW.... great way to push out your old marine stock... I look forward to seeing what the Fanbois get out of these boxes :biggrin.:  popcorn time...

it sold out here in Australia so apparently income loss due to covid19 etc  isn't hitting the well heeled throw your money away demographic...:dry.: 

Mithril  

‘Predatory’ :laugh.::laugh.::laugh.:

Please let’s calm down and not become hysterical over nothing.

I could give a :censored: either way. But when several countries have declared it gambling and/or regulated it in other ways. There is some precedent. Just saying.

A couple of years ago Kinder eggs were gambling in the states...just because some places do a thing doesn't mean its the smart money.

Loot boxes can give tangible benefits, this is just a fixed mystery box that everyone will get the same contents. Apples and oranges.

This isn't Battlefront 2 where you can save months of grinding by unlocking Darth vader if you spend enough money.

Now that said I dislike the premise but hey i didn't buy one

If the internet community for this hobby has taught me anything, it's that people will complain about anything and everything GW does.

50% off miniatures? That's the worst thing EVER!

Here's a question, did they announce the winner of the 40k prize draw?...

That's supposed to have been done but hasn't been announced to my knowledge?... Cheeky...

The prize that everyone thought was Indomitus but it was never confirmed as such?

Yes, there was a link on WarCom - https://www.warhammer-community.com/newsletter-prize-draw-winners/