[DW] Blackthorn/Swordhand Episode III: Recruitment Thread

Commissar Molotov

Idle curiosity, but how many req pts is typical for the start of a campaign/story? Presumably it changes (increases?) in some way as your Rank (or maybe Renown?) increases, but for example how much did the existing players get when you started Blackthorn?

Narratively speaking, Requisition is the allocation of resources the Deathwatch allows for a mission to be completed.  Mechanically, it is given to the players based on how many objectives they have to complete and is weighted on the importance of those objectives.

The Requisition is based on a per-player per mission amount.  However, the Requisition (or Req, as it is sometimes known) is pooled communally, so if you have 10 Req spare out of your 30, for example, you can loan that to someone else so they can get that Lascannon you'll think you'll need.

Once the mission is over, your wargear is returned to the armoury and you will have to Requisition it again for another mission, unless the item is one marked for Signature Wargear.

EDIT: That fast Raptor AT has the numbers ;)

MR.

Mojake - I don't have anything like maps for Azurea, but I have always imagined it as a relatively small outpost of the Deathwatch. In my notional background there is a larger Deathwatch fortress in the Dalthus Sector called Watch-Station Ellasar. My thoughts are that Azurea would hold about a demi-company of Deathwatch (it would be rare for all of them to be assembled at once.) In the character thread, you can see I've notionally listed four Kill-Teams: Blackthorn, Swordhand, Gallowbane and Daggerfall.

Necronaut - Fear is fine. A Chaplain should be a terrifying avatar of the Emperor's fury!

TBTL: The Guardian Bolt Pistol has a DISTINGUISHED renown requirement, whereas you guys are only RESPECTED at this stage of the game. With regards to the Kraken rounds, you can add it as a second profile on your character sheet if you wish. The Kraken rounds are a limited amount (although you can requisition more) so there are times where you might wish to use normal bolter ammunition.

Lysimachus: As A.T. says, the last mission was 40each (this is shared across the Kill-Team, for example if you want to pool together to acquire something powerful.) That will become clear once you actually get to arming for your mission.

A question on Combi weapons. If/When you requisition one, does it count as an add on to your existing bolter or would it be a whole new bolter (and therefore not have the fire selector and such)

Mojake - I don't have anything like maps for Azurea, but I have always imagined it as a relatively small outpost of the Deathwatch. In my notional background there is a larger Deathwatch fortress in the Dalthus Sector called Watch-Station Ellasar. My thoughts are that Azurea would hold about a demi-company of Deathwatch (it would be rare for all of them to be assembled at once.) In the character thread, you can see I've notionally listed four Kill-Teams: Blackthorn, Swordhand, Gallowbane and Daggerfall.

Necronaut - Fear is fine. A Chaplain should be a terrifying avatar of the Emperor's fury!

TBTL: The Guardian Bolt Pistol has a DISTINGUISHED renown requirement, whereas you guys are only RESPECTED at this stage of the game. With regards to the Kraken rounds, you can add it as a second profile on your character sheet if you wish. The Kraken rounds are a limited amount (although you can requisition more) so there are times where you might wish to use normal bolter ammunition.

Lysimachus: As A.T. says, the last mission was 40each (this is shared across the Kill-Team, for example if you want to pool together to acquire something powerful.) That will become clear once you actually get to arming for your mission.

Thanks for the info. When I was asking about size I was more trying to discern if it was big enough that Achillion probably hadn't met the others. The size you describe makes it sound like he would have met them but not fought with them?

I've updated Incariel's profile to reflect him being recently seconded to the Deathwatch and after a few passes and re-passes of my character sheet I think I'm just about done with everything. All that remains is to wait patiently, correct any errors that still linger and slowly flick through the IC thread for the juicy prose. We'll all be joining you soon, Brothers.

Thanks for the clarification on the Guardian pistol. I'll wait till we get there... If I do

Do any of the DW rules lawyers know what the requisition cost is for upgrading a weapon your character currently possesses?

For example: all characters start with an Astartes Bolt Pistol (cost of req 5 if acquiring an additional bolt pistol for reference). The wrist mount upgrade costs 15 req; would I have to pay only the 15 req for the upgrade to the existing bolt pistol (which my character already possesses), or does the full cost include the weapon plus upgrade like in Black Crusade (5+15=20 req in this case)?

So what are other people taking as special ammo and is it worth me taking kraken rounds?

Yes (but it depends).  If you are a Tactical Marine, you get one magazine of ammo free.  A lot of people take Hellfire as the free mag, because it is within your Renown spec (Respected) and because it's the most expensive at 25 Requisition a pop.

Kraken is 15 Req.

T'is all to taste though ;)

Do any of the DW rules lawyers know what the requisition cost is for upgrading a weapon your character currently possesses?

Youngsters these days, *tuts* You try to help a lad out....:rolleyes:

AFAIK it's like Black Crusade.  You can't upgrade issued kit, you have to buy a new one, plus all the greeblies.

MR.

So what are other people taking as special ammo and is it worth me taking kraken rounds?

Yes (but it depends). If you are a Tactical Marine, you get one magazine of ammo free. A lot of people take Hellfire as the free mag, because it is within your Renown spec (Respected) and because it's the most expensive at 25 Requisition a pop.

Kraken is 15 Req.

AFAIK it's like Black Crusade. You can't upgrade issued kit, you have to buy a new one, plus all the greeblies.

MR.

Cheers MR ill take the Kraken, think it suits my character better.

AFAIK it's like Black Crusade. You can't upgrade issued kit, you have to buy a new one, plus all the greeblies.

MR.

Cheers, mate! I had a feeling that was going to be the case.

Yes (but it depends). If you are a Tactical Marine, you get one magazine of ammo free. A lot of people take Hellfire as the free mag, because it is within your Renown spec (Respected) and because it's the most expensive at 25 Requisition a pop.

Kraken is 15 Req.

MR.

Cheers MR ill take the Kraken, think it suits my character better.

I tend to favour Kraken rounds as I find them to be the best all-round ammo type, pen 8 and extra range? Yes please!

I tend to favour Kraken rounds as I find them to be the best all-round ammo type, pen 8 and extra range? Yes please!

Yeah, the 50% extra range to get the extra +10 short range bonus is hard to sniff at, especially on top of the Pen.

MR.

Hordes are where kraken falls of compared to hellfire and metal storm, but they are a good 'safe' choice.

Hi guys,

Yeah - my intention is to start Episode III on Friday 12th February, as that's the three year anniversary of Episode I's start date. I've set up posting deadlines for my current players so that we can meet those deadlines and deliver an exciting ending for you all!

I will, however, start emailing out to new players ahead of the date so that you can prepare your opening posts ahead of time.

Hi guys,

Yeah - my intention is to start Episode III on Friday 12th February, as that's the three year anniversary of Episode I's start date. I've set up posting deadlines for my current players so that we can meet those deadlines and deliver an exciting ending for you all!

I will, however, start emailing out to new players ahead of the date so that you can prepare your opening posts ahead of time.

Looking forward to it!

Hi guys,

I’ll keep my eye out for that e-mail. Until then, have a good one!

Petragor: You can choose a Power Weapon using Signature Wargear. It's within your requisition range. It should be an item you have brought from the Celestial Lions - and such a worthy tool requires a name!

Apostle: Fire Selector is fine, as the DW plastics have combi-weapons with the special issue ammo. The only thing is that I don't see why you're using Signature Wargear (Master) to take the Combi-Weapon, which is only 15 REQ. Have I missed something?

I think I either:

- Misread the page

- used the Req cost from the core rules and not the errata'd. 

Either way I'll keep it the same and just add some weapon mods on to bring it closer to the 40 Req, or might increase the craftsmanship. 

Signature Warger 'Master' also adds an extra effect, chosen by the player.

• +10 to all tests made with the weapon
  • + 1 Cohesion
  • + 2 Initiative
  • + 5 to Willpower tests.

Increasing Craftsmanship to Exceptional will automatically:

• + 1 to Weapon Damage
  • Weapon gains the Reliable Weapon Quality.

You end up with this:

• Combi-Melta - 15 Req
  • Crafstmanship Uprgrade (1.5 x Req cost)

Total: 38 Req (rounding up)

You've got 2 left of the 40 allowed by Signature Wargear 'Master'.  Usually this would be eaten up by having to buy the Fire Selector as well, but the GM has been quite liberal with the DW tech! :)

MR.