What to expect from 9e CSM

Word Bearers Warp Talons are the winningest winners.

5 attacks (6s cause extra hits), reroll hits, reroll wounds (6s cause mortal wounds).

I foresee a lot of "I ALWAYS loved Word Bearers" soon if these are true.

My wife and I played them back in 3.5 because of the lore. Never you mind the daemon bombs.

Fun fact, I bought 20 Warp Talons a year ago for like half price. Looks like it'll turn out to have been a wise investment... ;)

NL fear bombing isn't quite going to hit the same, but -3 LD with raptors is taking most stuff to 6 meaning the buff would kick off, killing half a squad shouldn't be an issue with 4 attacks (current 1, plus 2a from rumour, plus chainsword) apiece and the right icon, so causing runners on 1,2 or 3. I dig it. My 15 block should do just fine

Hateful assault is still a thing, I’d hope? Though if they replaced it with just having an extra attack on everything, I would be OK with that! In the case of raptors it might be two. Edited by Khornestar

The only thing that has me a bit worried is the doctrine. Exploding 6s is kind of worse compared to -1AP. I'm also assuming that this will phase out the Death to the False Emperor ability, because it would be very dumb to have two abilities that let you get extra hits in the fight phase. Which would kind of be a down grade because it means you have to progress it to the assault phase instead of getting all the time, which definitely impacts 1st and 2nd turn charges.

All in all I'm very pleased, especially with the legion traits. 

Edited by Ezekyle_Abaddon

The only thing that has me a bit worried is the doctrine. Exploding 6s is kind of worse compared to -1AP. I'm also assuming that this will phase out the Death to the False Emperor ability, because it would be very dumb to have two abilities that let you get extra hits in the fight phase.

All in all I'm very pleased, especially with the legion traits.

Please look at page 9 of this thread, i posted the math comparing sm doctrine vs csm doctrine. Csm doctrine is superior in all cases except ap0 and ap1 when there are no invul saves. Edited by Clockworkchris

Well I for one have ALWAYS loved Word…. Blah, I can’t even get the words out of my mouth. Not doing it!

This is purely a selfish question based on my massive Black Legion army, but has anyone heard good or bad news on Haarken the World claimer? I anxiously painted him up on release on,y to find him to be the biggest potato in the legion. 

Also dying to know if Termies got any love as I still use them in droves. 

For BL it might… just might be worthwhile to use Bolter troops. Gaining some AP might help their plight. But this should help massed Termie bolters help a bit. Exploding 5's plus AP1.( for a turn?)

I feel like the lack of mention on the Helbrute might mean no news. I often thought they might update that model. 

weird though that my older Chaos armies get no love…. No Red Corsairs or Crimson Slaughter rules mentioned. 

Very excited at the prospect of running chosen in BL with hammers. 

I suppose the WB trait is because they have a preference for carrying around tainted sacrifical daggers and such, athames or other warp-tainted weapons. At least they did back in the heresy...

I suppose the WB trait is because they have a preference for carrying around tainted sacrifical daggers and such, athames or other warp-tainted weapons. At least they did back in the heresy...

The WB rules in 30k are kind of related, they get sweeping advance bonuses and can buy tainted weapons, so the charge bonuses and the MW generation is reflective to some degree.

Also makes sense given the 30k rules that they would be melee oriented.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Well I for one have ALWAYS loved Word…. Blah, I can’t even get the words out of my mouth. Not doing it!

This is purely a selfish question based on my massive Black Legion army, but has anyone heard good or bad news on Haarken the World claimer? I anxiously painted him up on release on,y to find him to be the biggest potato in the legion. 

Also dying to know if Termies got any love as I still use them in droves. 

For BL it might… just might be worthwhile to use Bolter troops. Gaining some AP might help their plight. But this should help massed Termie bolters help a bit. Exploding 5's plus AP1.( for a turn?)

I feel like the lack of mention on the Helbrute might mean no news. I often thought they might update that model. 

weird though that my older Chaos armies get no love…. No Red Corsairs or Crimson Slaughter rules mentioned. 

Very excited at the prospect of running chosen in BL with hammers. 

I think you could get 2 turns of BLs exploding 5s if tactical doctrine is consistent across loyalists and traitors.  (GW is always consistent AMIRITE?)  

Im hoping that CSM will have access to rubrics and PMs.  I would love to have some ap -3 rubrics to go with combi plasma terminators.  

For Haarken, I hope his spear has the same profile as the Tau Railgun.  That would be epic.  

I never thought of Word Bearers as close combat focused but definitely won't be complaining if those rumours are true.

I want to really lean into possessed, warp talons and obliterators and close combat bluffs should benefit two of the three of those.

If I show people my 100 plus hours of Dark Crusade and signed copy of Aurelian do I get to bypass the bandwagoner toll? :D

BT players in shambles if the WB leaks are true. :teehee:

Why and how? The key feature of BT is free 5+ isv on everything.

As far as I can tell, the desired BT buffs wish listed were to be more dangerous in melee, WB do that now arguably better. Coward survivability vs the Alpha assault buffs. 

The desired buff of new update should always be "could win".

"Win but also win in my favorite fashion" is luxury. You can't expect it from GW, especially when you playing a faction which obviously received less love from GW.

Hey none of the traits there are bad for Possessed, especially since the 5+ MW FNP means they basically don't lose their daemon invuln vs mortal wounds

I don't care how good the rules are. I'm not buying the current potato sculpts or spending $$$ on Gal Vorbak to use instead. Need a good plastic kit without derpy parts like new oblit feet. :sick:

Looking forward to giving my Nightlords a spin under the new book, the potential to cause havoc on low morale/high number units like orks might be fun. I wonder how much of our faith and fury supplement will get copy pasted and will the talons of the black hunt remain amazing.

I am really waiting on the rules for terminators though, unlike their imperial counterparts each chaos player has a different load out and it would suck for allot of people who have invested time/money had their terminators become suddenly unusable. 

I wonder if endless cacophony will stay and I wonder what the books biggest hitters will be. 

3 stats on the new flesh metal guns might be a bit like the bubble chucker. 

I never thought of Word Bearers as close combat focused but definitely won't be complaining if those rumours are true.

I want to really lean into possessed, warp talons and obliterators and close combat bluffs should benefit two of the three of those.

If I show people my 100 plus hours of Dark Crusade and signed copy of Aurelian do I get to bypass the bandwagoner toll? :D

It makes sense in that Possessed are a big thing for WB, and theyre only melee. I think a warp talon, possessed, daemon engine, and oblit WB army will look cool too. These leaks helped me sell my pile of CSM in the box.

Universal shoot or fight twice thing would be deleted, obviously. They caused balance problem in almost every faction, and removed in every updated 9th codices.

The CSM version may be changed to something like "a noise marines unit shoot sonic weapons twice".