What to expect from 9e CSM

Am I reading this wrong or does the EC trait allow for all heavy weapons to move and shot without penalties

And also advancing and firing assault weapons without penalty

I hadn't considered the moving and firing assault weapons angle; good spot!

I've got a nascent Emperor's Children project on the go and my mind is abuzz with the possibilities. I don't think it's going to greatly change my planned army composition either! 

My chaos lord has a jump pack, thunder hammer and plasma pistol. If the doctrines turn out to be correct he's quids in! The extra AP in melee and exploding melee / pistols AND ignoring BS/WS penalties. Just great. 

Obliterators

•have essentially big guns never tire(shoot into engagement range with -1 to hit)

•ignore modifier for heavy weapons

•armed with powerfists without -1 to hit

•Has 3 shooting profiles

Heavy 9+d6 s5 ap1 d1

Heavy 3+d3 s7 ap2 d2

Heavy d3 s9 ap3 d4

Wow, awesome! The strongest profile is not super impressive but I think it's acceptable given the 3 separate profiles. Now... if they're CORE, they'll be a good unit.

Core would be awesome, but Centurians didn't get it, so my hopes are not high.

Edited by Grand_Master_Alpharius

Hoping that noise marines remain a troops choice for Emperor's Children. What everyone's general view on this? With the other cult troops going away I do have concerns they'll be locked into elites which is a historically crowded space in the chaos codex. 

My current project list was looking like this:

10 chaos marines - power sword & bolt pistol, 2 missile launchers, 7 bolters

10 moise marines - lightning claw & plasma pistol, 2 blastmasters, 7 chainswords & bolt pistols

5 noise marines - 5 sonic blasters

I hope this remains a legal way to build a battalion for Emperor's Children.

-1 to wound... the nurgle mark... wow. If I can put that mark on my helbrutes with combined -1 damage, that's going to be pretty spicey.

The Emperor's Children are looking very tempting to be honest. If I understand it correctly I can do a potential squad of hammer chosen? Have them hitting on 2+ with with exploding 6's. 

The Crimson Slaughter are a project that I really enjoyed. I think that goes back to 6th or 7th ed? But at the very end of the edition GW basically wrote a really cruddy army book that said basically the Crimson Slaughter are toast except for a few of their leadership type dudes.

I really enjoyed that army until they did that, and since then they've really not done anything with them rules wise, however I guess they can take the vanilla renegade trait which gives an interesting rule.

''Build a warband'' renegade traits

• +4" to range other than grenade and relic
  • After killing a unit, the unit is then considered to be in destruction, massacre and slaughter for the rest of the game

Obviously having a sizable unit that is good in most phases of the game would strongly benefit from this. I'm thinking Termies, chosen etc.

Still my Black Legion look really flexible which is my favorite way to play. Being one of the suckier legions might be in the rear view mirror with this codex!

Hoping that noise marines remain a troops choice for Emperor's Children. What everyone's general view on this? With the other cult troops going away I do have concerns they'll be locked into elites which is a historically crowded space in the chaos codex. 

My current project list was looking like this:

10 chaos marines - power sword & bolt pistol, 2 missile launchers, 7 bolters

10 moise marines - lightning claw & plasma pistol, 2 blastmasters, 7 chainswords & bolt pistols

5 noise marines - 5 sonic blasters

I hope this remains a legal way to build a battalion for Emperor's Children.

My understanding is EC will play like the other mono god legions, so noise marines will be troops but only for them.

with -1 to wound the most intresting break point is at t8. Lascannons wound on 4+ over charged plasma on 5+ and everything below it on 6+. It's a good bonus but will it make land raiders viable :P

No core on LR, dreams of it not sucking dashed. XD

Edit:

For what it’s worth, it doesn’t look like the chosen kit comes with a single thunder hammer. Such a bummer. How many years did it take for CSM to get the option to take it? Now the only kit to have one for certain is the warpsmith.

We have seen the picture of a hand holding a thunder hammer, but it would appear for certain to not be from the chosen kit.

Not sure if this warrants viewing every single rumor in this thread with suspicion, but Emperor’s Children will not be hitting on 2’s with hammers if they can’t take hammers.

The final option is that the amateur YouTube presenter with very little knowledge of what he’s unboxing could have accidentally skipped showing the sprue, but it doesn’t seem like that’s what happened.

Edited by Khornestar

Chosen isn't the worst it could have been, but another half sprue with more options would've been ideal.

Are there pictures of the sorues allready? I am dying to get a glimpse. XD

Edit: Found them in the news thread.

They could have put fewer chain swords in we can get those from the csm sprues en masse. XD

Edited by Maschinenpriester

Chosen isn't the worst it could have been, but another half sprue with more options would've been ideal.

Are there pictures of the sorues allready? I am dying to get a glimpse. XD

Edit: Found them in the news thread.

They could have put fewer chain swords in we can get those from the csm sprues en masse. XD

So we don't have to bounce back and forth between threads:

EO-Chosen.jpg

EO-Chosen-2.jpg

EO1b.jpg

EO1.png

It's the size of the Bladeguard Veterans kit, with more options and all. Not the worst, but perhaps a bit of a victim of GW optimizing sprue size too much now that they're better at packing them, whereas they should've erred to two full sprues rather than one and a half.

with -1 to wound the most intresting break point is at t8. Lascannons wound on 4+ over charged plasma on 5+ and everything below it on 6+. It's a good bonus but will it make land raiders viable :tongue.:

No core on LR, dreams of it not sucking dashed. XD

Edit:

For what it’s worth, it doesn’t look like the chosen kit comes with a single thunder hammer. Such a bummer. How many years did it take for CSM to get the option to take it? Now the only kit to have one for certain is the warpsmith.

We have seen the picture of a hand holding a thunder hammer, but it would appear for certain to not be from the chosen kit.

Not sure if this warrants viewing every single rumor in this thread with suspicion, but Emperor’s Children will not be hitting on 2’s with hammers if they can’t take hammers.

The final option is that the amateur YouTube presenter with very little knowledge of what he’s unboxing could have accidentally skipped showing the sprue, but it doesn’t seem like that’s what happened.

Silly me :P

Time to source hammers then?

Clockworkchris did explicitly say that the "EC can hit on 2s with thunder hammers" bit was not from his source, so as far as I'm concerned it doesn't impact the potential validity of these rumours.

The Chosen kit is a little disappointing but not surprising. It's a real pity because like the Terminator kit it wouldn't take much more to turn it into a really stellar kit. That being said I was only ever after Chosen for the bits/conversion potential anyway so this doesn't affect me too much.

We don't know as yet what the options for chosen will be in the codex. Hopefully they're not tied to this kit in its entirety.

This would be truely a drawback for me, because i currently run my chosen mainly with combibolters. I dont see any in this kit as far as i can tell. Fingers crossed.

It's the size of the Bladeguard Veterans kit, with more options and all. Not the worst, but perhaps a bit of a victim of GW optimizing sprue size too much now that they're better at packing them, whereas they should've erred to two full sprues rather than one and a half.

Am I missing something? I see two full sprues for the Chosen (standard for an infantry box) and one half-sprue for the Warpsmith.

Edit to clarify: the two Chosen sprues are presented in this box as one big sprue, which is normal for a battle box, whereas in a normal infantry box the big sprue would be snapped into two "standard" sprues.

For one, I like the Chosen box. It is a shame that you can't just take a squad armed with identical weapons, though - while I personally prefer more "ragtag" loadouts, I can absolutely see the appeal in unified squads.

I'll 100% be picking up this kit, even just for some CSM champion kitbashing opportunities.

Edited by Cheex

My expectation for chosen rules is now that all models start with a chainsword, every model can upgrade to a chainaxe, 1 of each power weapon, double LC, and power fist per squad.  Primaris sword brethren have similar rules, they have enough power swords though while this only have 2 chain axes so I could see chosen being limited to 2 chain axes and 1 of everything else.