hall of honor

Medjugorje

Problem is that i dont know which unit they should transport. They perfrom not that well. Maybe Company Veterans with Lighting Claws + Stormshields and Seargent with Fist of Balthus.  The big problem with them is that they dont have that many attacks you need an no hit rerolls to get from any reliable source. I think I will tryout some other concepts in future.

So,  played with this list on our tournament last Sunday against Drukhari and Necrons

I have to say, I changed the list a bid Medj, cus my heavy intercessors were lost.

Overall, Our new rules are pretty fun to play and yes we lost our speed a lot but, in turn we are not a great counter assault army now. 

1. Chaplain with Tennhouser's Bones is INCREDIBLY DURABLE. I killed everything with him and he dodged like 30+ damage. (I had good dice rolls also) 

2. Same goes with the Bladeguard Relic Bearer. With Champion of the Feast and Icon of Heinemann. They are unkillable.

I died and lost  heavily on drukhari. As it seems assult intercessors just works fine. But I did not follow my tactic as counter-assult and tried to run like pre-supplement style. And he get on my back and killed me one by one. I lost heavily 18-75

My secondaries were Oath of moment and two black templar specials : Get your Vows and Bath your sword with the blood of the enemy. 

First one gives you points every time you kill more then enemy in CQC and the other is very cool: lets you declare a challenge with your character against the enemy character. If you kil him it gives you 5 pt. If you kill him in cqc it gives you 10 pt and If your challenger character kills him in cqc you net 15 pts. It is both a nice and fluffy secondary so I will always play with them as it seems.

The second match was with necrons. He got Ctan, some warriors and immortals and those little bugs. Also have 2 chronomancer

I vaporized bugs and varriors with my dreads as they got reroll hits and wouds with liatny and wisdom of the ancients. in shock he teleports one chronomancer wihch I declared vow  and 20 warriors to my back and into my chaplain (whom I declared challenge against). my assault intercessors and bike chaplain tried to kill them 2 turn. meanwhile bladegurds killed ctan and immortals and varriors in 2 turns. match pretty much ended at the turn 4 as I tabled him.

was fun and I will add pictures too

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Black Templars) [96 PL, 15CP, 1,965pts] ++  

+ Configuration+   Battle Size [18CP]: 4. Onslaught (201-300 Total PL / 2001-3000 Points)    Chapter Selection: Black Templars   

+ Stratagems +  

Relics of the Chapter [-1CP]: Number of Extra Relics  

+ Chapter Vow Selected +  

Uphold the Honor of the Emperor  

+ HQ +  

Primaris Chaplain Grimaldus [5 PL, 120pts]: 1. Litany of Divine Protection,
4. Fires of Devotion, Artificer Crozius, Frag & Krak grenades, Litany of Hate,
Plasma pistol, 3x Cenobyte Servitor: 3x Close Combat Weapon  

Primaris Chaplain on Bike [7 PL, 140pts]: 2. Catechism of Fire, 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura),
Absolver Bolt pistol, Chapter Command:  Master of Sanctity, Crozius arcanum,
Frag & Krak grenades, Litany of Hate, Master of Arms, Rites of War, Twin Bolt rifle,
Stratagem: Heir of Sigismund, Tännhauser’s Bones, Warlord        

+ Troops +  

Assault Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 95pts] . 4x Assault Intercessor: 4x Astartes Chainsword,

4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol .

Assault Intercessor Sgt: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol  

Assault Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 95pts] . 4x Assault Intercessor: 4x Astartes Chainsword,

4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol .

Assault Intercessor Sgt: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol  

Crusader Squad [7 PL, 150pts]: Chainsword, Bolt Rifle . 4x Crusader 4x Chainsword & Boltgun,

4x Frag & Krak grenades . Sword Brother: Chainsword Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades  

+ Elites +  

Bladeguard Veteran Squad [10 PL, 175pts] . 4x Bladeguard Veteran: 4x Frag & Krak grenades,
4x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 4x Master-crafted power sword, 4x Storm Shield .

Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant: Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol,
Master-crafted power sword, Storm Shield,

Relic bearer: Icon of Heinemann
Stratagem -1 Cp: Revered Repositories: Sword of Judgement ·     

Primaris Apothecary [5 PL, -1CP, 115pts]: Absolver Bolt pistol,
Chapter Command:  Chief Apothecary, Frag & Krak grenades,
Reductor Pistol, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, The Crusader's Helm  

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, -1CP, 150pts]: 2x Twin volkite culverin  

Vanguard Veteran Squad [14 PL, 302pts]: Jump Pack .

9x Vanguard Veteran: Frag & Krak grenades, Lightning Claw, Storm shield .

Vanguard Veteran Sergeant: Frag & Krak grenades, Power fist, Storm shield  

Relic Bearer: Fist of Balthus  

+ Heavy Support +  

Eradicator Squad [7 PL, 135pts]: Melta rifle . 2x Eradicator: 2x Bolt pistol . Eradicator Sgt: Bolt pistol  

++ Vanguard Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Black Templars) [27 PL, -4CP, 560pts] ++  

+ Configuration +  

Chapter Selection: Black Templars   Detachment Command Cost [-3CP]  

+ HQ +   Primaris The Emperor's Champion [4 PL, 92pts]: Black Sword, Bolt pistol,
Frag & Krak grenades, Oathkeeper  

+ Elites +  

Judiciar [5 PL, -1CP, 85pts]: Absolver Bolt pistol, Executioner Relic Blade,
Frag & Krak grenades, Master of Arms, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, The Aurillian Shroud  

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 180pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers,
Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Redemptor Fist  

Terminator Assault Squad [9 PL, 215pts] . Assault Terminator Sergeant . . Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield:

Storm shield, Thunder hammer . 4x Assault Terminator w/THSS: 4x Storm shield, 4x Thunder hammer .

Relic Bearer: Crux Obsidian  

++ Total: [96 PL, 9CP, 1,995pts] ++   Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Edited by BayOkuz

• 2 weeks later...

WHAT? 3 month?? 

normally i cant wait to play as much as possible. I think i am the exception here in many ways. Normally with a new codex there are so many lists thrown in the internet but this time there is NOTHING. There is just one list from John Lennon and one from IN (which i think is not competitve at all... Centurions are trash does not matter there is -1/-2 ignoring when playing against d3+3 damage weapons with ap3 or ap4.

I just think this part of the forum is just not that competitive as you thought. 

I think most people like to paint up some minis first and maybe try a little friendly game or 2 before they start getting competitive where you may be the exception as you said so your self.

Also as many have stated that this supplement doesnt seem like a ultra competitive one so that may have put alot of people off for trying them?

WHAT? 3 month?? 

normally i cant wait to play as much as possible. I think i am the exception here in many ways. Normally with a new codex there are so many lists thrown in the internet but this time there is NOTHING. There is just one list from John Lennon and one from IN (which i think is not competitve at all... Centurions are trash does not matter there is -1/-2 ignoring when playing against d3+3 damage weapons with ap3 or ap4.

Playing has always been secondary in the hobby to me, when it comes to 40k. I could tell you a lot about how the book has inspired me in both my modeling and story writing, but has it actually inspired me to play more? Eh...Not enough to just slap together some models that I'd rip apart for their parts later on anyway, because they're not up to my standard. 

Heck, has this section, heck this entire subfactions playerbase, EVER been particularly competitive, there's a reason BT didn't even have any real tacticas before Laeroth came along...And there hasn't really been others ever since, not to my knowledge anyway. Maybe the BT playerbase as a whole is just more on the hobby side than the gaming side?

Edited by Palmu

of Course. Because BT never has been good before 9th Edition. So its clear that the competitive Scene runs all other chapters which used to be strong in former Editions.

I am not sure but WS and IH are the best chapters in 8th/9th Edition and they used to be OP in 7th. I want to know if there are some Fanboys in GW Headquarter who want their specific faction being better then others or is it just the the lore what gives them in each Edition everything what conversion into strong rules. I mean there are a lot of Units which used to be OP in most Editions. Obliterators used to be OP in 4th Edition, has been the unit which made CSM staying competitive in 5th and 6th and used to be very good in start of 8th for example.

Yah, most of us aren't able to eat, sleep, and breathe warhammer. I used to play every week in 5th and 6th editions. 7th-9 I've played a grand total of 5 games total i think (two in 7th, one in 8th, and two in 9th). We have other things going on, and there are plenty of us who don't even have time to assemble our minis. I've personally only been able to assemble the dread from my launch box. Everything else is still on the sprues. I also have another army I am working on, since that one is much more fledgling and needs more work than my templars.

It's just a matter of time and priorities.

Oh yes, we definitely have. Again, it is a time and priorities thing. Especially here in America, where 1/2 our population dont respect papa nergle, getting games can be extremely challenging.

wth... Why does nobody play with the new dex? What are you doing?

I'm slow building my army atm (doesn't help that locally everyone is on a Kings of War kick), but let's not forget that not all tourmanents will allow the Templars to run roughshod through the meta until their actual codex release.

Well, I had to postpone my matches from last week and this one I was able to play two (plus another two which hopefully I'll play tomorrow)

My list varied slightly from the first game with new rules and a couple of relic adjustments for each match.

The first game was against Custodes, but my friend has few games in the ninth edition and I would dare to say that he lost in the second round due to his inexperience in general and poor decisions in particular.

My list was:

HQ: Grimaldus (fires of devotion, fervent acclamation)

Helbrecht

Chaplain on bike(catechism of fire)

TROOPS:

2x5 assault intercessors

1 primaris crusaders (4 neophytes with shotgun, 3 initiates with autobolt, 2 power fist, sword bro with power sword and heavy bolt pistol.

ELITES:
1x5 agressors with flames (heinmann icon)
1x6 BG (crux obsidian, champion of fest)

1 Apothecary primaris (warlord, selfless, crusader helm)

1 Redemptor (macroplasma, gatling)

1x5 brothers of sword (chainsword, x1 thunder hammer)

1x7 Terminators with thunder hammer (seal of sigismund)

His list was two bike units, a shield captain on bike, 2 units from Allarus, Trajan, 3 custodian units, 1 Vexila, Greyfax (!) And a Colexus (!!), YES I warned him the day before that our brothers, if they carry psychics in their ranks they would be their skulls, in any case.

My idea when I built the list was to take two different blocks and use the sword brothers as a hinge and central lens cleaning unit. On the one hand agressors and crusaders, supported by the chaplain on a motorcycle (who can come and go between my line of battle haranguing the troops) for the +1 to wound and grimaldus with the FNP and the minimum advance of 4 ". We can no longer advance and charge, but the aura of the cenobites pushes the assault weapons units very fast to the center on turn 1 and thanks to the stratagems, without losing the punch (I really NEED more neophytes with shotguns).

Agressor and crusaders who can fire a lot of fire and be a pain in CC, my other flank are melee assassins, the bladeguard with a Sword bro absorbing damage and the apothecary in range to pick him up again if he falls, the sword brethen squad following closely and striking where necessary (the exploding 6s ploy is wonderful) helbrecht and the redemptor covering gaps and giving fire support. The termis, on the other hand, coming down from the teleportarum when the enemy unit designated by the seal makes its appearance. The two units of Assault intercessors taking points, making secundaries like Octarius (the other two in this game was To the Last and Engage) , covering my deployment zone and supporting other units if the battle tides require.

The first turn was mine so I catapulted to the front agressors and crusaders to gain central ground and search obscured, the same with the other flank of BG and SB and the supporting characters. His turn was played very conservatively, attempting a charge with some bikes to the agressors, missing it and taking a couple of defensive fire wounds as a consolation prize, an unsuccessful miss from Greyfax, and i got 3 wounds for my Redemptor from shots, his mistake was exposing his troops too much, leaving them at charging distance on my next turn.

So, here was where it all ended for him, +1 to wound for the crusaders and a 2 damage strat for shotguns, all centered against a Custodian unit (1 kill and 2 wounds), the agressors against the bikes (1 kill and one wound). On the other flank the sword bros and the BG continued on their way seeking combat, with the Redemptor softening his units on that side of the table. The combat phase resulted in both the bike and the Custodian units being reduced to one model each (thanks, power fists) 3 neophyte kills in my crusaders and one agressor and my turn is over.

His next turn was a mess,with the exception of almost decimating my crusaders, who held the position while dominating a point, denying him the 15, He lowered the remaining units of bikes and allarus against my strong flank of bladeguard and SB, his bikes managed to charge against the SB and the apothecary ( badly positioned on my part when I forgot about devout push the previous turn) eliminating the latter and killing two brothers, the allarus were left with the desire to charge the Bladeguard and their other motorcycles unlocked from combat to go for grimaldus ( the Cenobite FNP was being a pain in his ass)

My next turn was simply to position myself for the charges and score the secondaries, advancing the surviving agressors behind the scenes so I could continue to count on them for To the Last and the two surviving crusaders doing Octarius Data. On the other side, the BG and Helbrecht joined the party charging the bikes and the Allarus, in turn, the termis made their appearance from the teleportarum to destroy their designated target (the bikes) ... And that was it. , 7 termis repeating everything to impact and to wound are an apocalypse for the poor unit marked by the seal, the sword brothers are a whirlwind with the strat of 6s explosives plus the extra force that Helbrecht gives, the one who carried the hammer had a To hit roll that resulted in two 6s, the Bladeguard empowered with Champion of feast and +1 strength swept the allarus as if they were paper

At the end of the phase, he gave me the game, he had no units on the table, only characters (including a Colexus hidden somewhere). I can't consider it a fair game, my buddy barely played 3 games on 9th and his list was anything but optimal. It was, even so, entertaining and a good time (which is what we should always look for) and it helped me to get a global idea of ​​the list that I intend to refine and the synergies that I can apply.

Throughout the day I post the game that I played yesterday against the thousand sons of another friend (experienced and competitive player) and that was, by far, the most absurd thing that I lived in 40k for long.

Spoiler alert: he gave me the match on turn 3, again

What happened? And what did he played?

I had a game now against a ork list. Not really full outmaxed but strong. 5 Koptaz, Squigboss, Wartrike HQ, 3 indirect shooting buggies, Dakkajet, kommandoz and a few other buggies + those orksquads which can disembark and charge from a transport after it has moved.

My list was 

Helbrecht

Primaris Chaplain (Rites of War + C. of Rage + Ancient Breviary)

Grimaldus (divine protection + fires of devotion)

5 Assault Squad with  Fist of Balthus

5 Infiltrators

20 Primaris Crusader (4 Fists and Sword of Judgement)

3x Redemptor

10 Scouts

2x Land Speeder Strom

2 ATVs (one with Crux Obsidian)

in short: The kopters killed my main squad very efficient over 3 rounds and even with 5++ against Orks each normal 2wound Marine model does not count in any way. The output orks can do is so overwhelming. It was a 72: 100

I think that Orks are way too OP at the moment. Against their ability to get +1 to hit and we never gain dense cover this Meta is not nice to us. In other matchups like Sisters of Battle we would have autowins. If we play on RTTs and dodge some Ork buggie lists we have potential. But on major events (6 games) 5:1 is the best result we can hope.

We need huge point drops in Chapter approved vor all of our troop choices and especially our vehicles. 

Edited by Medjugorje

I had my first game Thursday with 9th edition on TT  in a small 1k skirmish against custodes. I made a lot of mistakes and ended up losing, but my captain did two key things: he decapitated Trajan, and he brought down a custodes contemptor dread. I don't know if I can ever give the sword of judgement to anyone but a warlord captain now, especially if I start doing the Heir of sigismund along with the imperium's sword.

a sword of judgement on a primaris crusader squad on a sword brother with fires of devotion, Helbrechts +1 Str. + rerolls of 1s and the stratagem for winning the feast of blades is a way that your model has the same statlines as a marshal but 19 other bodies as protection^^ and 6 attacks hitting on 2 with Str8.

a sword of judgement on a primaris crusader squad on a sword brother with fires of devotion, Helbrechts +1 Str. + rerolls of 1s and the stratagem for winning the feast of blades is a way that your model has the same statlines as a marshal but 19 other bodies as protection^^ and 6 attacks hitting on 2 with Str8.

That is a good idea too! It may be better protected, but I love letting my captain Rip and Tear himself, alongside a squad of vanguard vets ideally who has the champion of the feast with the fist of belthas. Besides, I plan on giving him master of arms and the imperium’s sword warlord traits. The captain would be Str 8 on the charge with 7 attacks and strike first. Again, not the most protected or the most wounds, but I absolutely love the idea of my leader being able to fight with the best of them. And certainly a worthy candidate for the Hall of Honor!

in the future though, I may have a primaris captain with perdition’s edge or the burning blade (with the same warlord trait combo) and a blade guard squad with champion of the feast with the sword of judgement, but I am very keen on firstborn units because I love rhinos.

In my next game versus Tsons, I used the same list but awarding the crusaders with Light of Emperor (the +1 to leadership is a help in big blocks) and skull of cacodominus, I realized later that it is a mistake to put all your eggs in the same basket ...

The list of my rival was a cult of Duplicity detachment and another of Time, Ahriman, infernal master and two sorcerers on disk, a block of ten rubrics with flamers, 3x5 full equiped rubrics, another large block of 10 scarabs (marked as target with the seal of my termis unit) plus another of 5, a VolCom and a Chaos Spawn. His secondaries were Assassinate, Mutate the Terrain, and Octarius. Mine abhort the witch, Octarius and Engage.

It was the first time that he had played against my new rules, he was already used to the resilience of Templars against mortals, but when I explained that the crusaders could cast a -3, he arched an eyebrow and deployed accordingly.

He won the initiative and started first, with his witch tricks he moved a sorcerer to casting range, and using cabal points he erased the invulnerable of my crusaders without being able to disperse it, then redeployed the large block of rubrics with warp flames and used the ritual to put them in concealed position. I made the mistake of an aggressive deploy and a couple of units, the redemptor and the crusaders were somewhat exposed, the latter counting on that he would do the trick of flying towards my front to do heretic magic and I calculated their movement distance and the range of the spell, but I completely forgot that he had tricks to increase rank. Using the Planetarium he appointed my redemptor to not have any damage reduction buffs. Between mortals and shots in general: 6 wounds to the redeemer, 4 neophytes, 2 initiates and 3 bladeguards killed and an absurd amount of secondary points for Octarius and Mutate.

My turn started uphill but I was willing to take revenge on that unit 9 "from my zone, with grimaldus I added the Abhor vote to my sword bros and +1 attack, also helbrecht gave them repeat everything, my chaplain on bike +1 to wound to the agressors (his big block of Scarabs was getting closer and I needed a 6 "advance to get to flamer range, hard ..)
Despite the reps, I was only able to get 5 ", so I moved them to the next obscuring terrain, moved close Grim for the 6" FNP and prepare to a sure charge of his Termis and make defensive fire. The BG (one resurrected by Apotecary), SB, and crusaders all moved to face the rubric block and try to sweep them away, because the other Scarabs unit was approaching and I was not interested be engaged in combat and be a easy charge target. I decide to sacrifice the crusaders and be the first to declare the charge aginst that wall of flamers, no choice to do from behind a ruin and avoid defensive...all of them dead

My BG and SB charged successfully and were the first to activate the combat, rerolls to hit, plus the strat of exploding 6s, plus repeat 1s to wound of the vote, plus assault doctrine of the crusader helm .. they eliminated 6. An expected counteroffensive against my BG that only scratched 2 wounds and the rest were trampled on my next activation. And my turn ends with 2 points of Abhor and scoring 2 actions of Octarius data.

His secound turn was a debacle for my ranks on the left flank. Between psi powers, gunfire, scarab charges and combat, the agressors, a unit of assault intercessors, and the Redemptor were all eliminated from the table. On the other flank, the other Scarabs unit managed to obliterate 2 BGs and 2 SBs to shots before charging successfully. His activation in combat was with his block of ten against my agressors, so I used counterattack to activate the SB and use the stratagem one more time. A fantastic roll of three 6s on hit and no misses to hit with the hammer SB, he wiped out his entire 5 Scarab unit with a single swing, my mate realized something is wrong with those zealous guys. The turn ended and he got way ahead on the scoreboard and I barely had any punch to try anything, only my own termis could hold my left flank.

I didn't have much else to do except hold on, trying with the surviving BGs and SBs to remove him from the point of his zone, guarded by another Rubrics unit. The chaplain on a bike and Helbrecht turned to try to fight the blob of Scarabs, Grimaldus moved to try a safe charge, (although a cenobite, unfortunately, had to be in sight) to be able to deploy my Terminators from my area and try to charge . On the other side, both the Bladeguards and the Sword Brethren managed to charge the rubrics, with luck I could erase them and get them out of the points, but I was losing the game, the threat of their termis was too much and my hope was to catch them with mine. in a combat of attrition and trying to do something with my own characters, his are no match for Helbrecht.

I charge first with Grim, the cenobites evaporated with the defensive fire, but at least I locked them, the chaplain failed and Helbrecht succeeded. Terminators time, they got the charge of 9 "and there the game was decided, because the cosmos decided it that way. Of 22 attacks, they hit 21 to 4+ (Emperor bless rerolls of Sigismund Seal) and wounded everyone, he just could save 9, so his great threat ceased to exist The fighters at the other end of the table erased their Rubricos and I took him out of all but one points.

The battle changed completely, if I saw myself devastated, my friend saw how in one round I removed a huge portion of his army from the table and he no longer had any option of the, now mine, threat of a blob of terminators. On his third shift he did numbers and realized it was impossible, anyway.

He conceal me, the first time in all the years we have been playing together. It was like throwing a Nuke, the probability went on vacation in this game.

Despite everything, I understood my mistakes and that you cannot risk in the deployment despite all the ways to avoid the damage, not to put everything that can prevent the rival from doing their things in a single unit, because you only paint one huge target.

And SB, I think they are great and with many synergies, the fact that their passions do not affect them ... they are very good.

In a few hours it's my turn against Blood Angels, again, let's see how its going