hall of honor

Medjugorje

It has been a long long time since I have engaged in 40k, but since when are Black Templars a melee army? When I started with them in '98 they were always a Space Marine army with fanatical elements. Some of that is shooting, some of that is melee, but they were never supposed to just be a wave of berserkers running across the field.   

I like this new dex. I can run mid range shooting and feel confident that our faith in the Emperor will see us through melee (chaplain buffs, characters, 5++, etc). It's perfect for my interpretation of Black Templars, warriors of the Emperor willing to take the fight to the enemy, but also Sons of Dorn who know how and when to use the holy tools of war. By the bolter, the flamer, and the chainsword will heresy be purged. They aren't idiots who don't understand the value of killing your enemy before they can kill you, or to use dedicated anti-armor weapons to defeat vehicles and monsters.    

I really love the feel of this supplement. It got me back into wanting to play.

I heare you.

It has rekindled my zeal.

It has been a long long time since I have engaged in 40k, but since when are Black Templars a melee army? When I started with them in '98 they were always a Space Marine army with fanatical elements. Some of that is shooting, some of that is melee, but they were never supposed to just be a wave of berserkers running across the field.   

I like this new dex. I can run mid range shooting and feel confident that our faith in the Emperor will see us through melee (chaplain buffs, characters, 5++, etc). It's perfect for my interpretation of Black Templars, warriors of the Emperor willing to take the fight to the enemy, but also Sons of Dorn who know how and when to use the holy tools of war. By the bolter, the flamer, and the chainsword will heresy be purged. They aren't idiots who don't understand the value of killing your enemy before they can kill you, or to use dedicated anti-armor weapons to defeat vehicles and monsters.    

I really love the feel of this supplement. It got me back into wanting to play.

Dark Eldar used to be a melee army BUT they always had good shooting - so it is for now. And so for Black Templars. We were the only ones who had chainswords on their troop choices, we were not allowed to field Whirlwinds and Devastors and 90 percent of our special rules were melee focused. Of course Space Marines never used to be a pure melee army. But if there was one Marine chapter who woul go mostly close combat then we used to be that one. 

Edited by Medjugorje

Ive had three games of black templars and I'm ready to deliver some incredibly shallow takes on what I've experienced.

First of all, you're locked into the templars stuff, so you have to use it all properly. What does this mean? Other chapters have the doctrine that's always going to be available, while being able to tailor their chapter tactics for best results. See iron hands or Raven guard lists running melee heavy successor traits while pulling extra duty out of their doctrine. Templars don't get this. They're stuck with 5++ against mortals, reroll charges and your choice of Uphold (joking, but it's going to be the most defaulted vow). These can never change, so you better make the most of the special prayers, relics, relic bearers and multi meltas; if not, you're basically playing a very anemic marine list. You also better play well, because there's no spiking your offensive ability past what you can do in your command phase.

Second, if you're planning around uphold, you better pass it. This is super obvious, but the first two games I passed maybe...3 invuls and had the mini-trans kick in twice. If luck isn't going your way, then you're basically playing factionless marines. But if your luck is holding to averages or better, then you can really skunk your opponent's output. People aren't used to marines with an inherent 5+ invul, and it can disrupt their mental when things are taking no damage when they should be dying.

Third, remember what was effective in Kingdom of heaven. By this I mean, charging knights out with no support doesn't work. Having a good defensive formation with a variety of ranged output and the ability to troubleshoot with melee. You can look at medjugorje's lists that feature tons of shooting and no masses of crusaders. He's guaranteed a better player than me at 9th lol.

The terrain and objective layout is pretty much more important than anything I just said. Scouring on planet bowling ball is going to be much different than priority targets on a WTC table. Using los to secure board control and deny ranged output is really important. Blocking a keeper or ghaz with your Tannhauser bike chaplain is going to screw up their movement and waste a lot of time.

In my last game I was basically able to put everything I listed into practice.

-I made a pretty standard "good enough" marine list.

-I took uphold.

-I had the complement of BT stuff; Helbrecht, Grimaldus, champion assault terminator w/icon of heinman, Tannhauser bike chaplain, multi melta impulsors.

-I frustrated his turn 1 shooting with a combination of good terrain usage, mini-trans, and 5+ invul.

-I blocked ghaz with Tannhauser

-I stayed rather together; attack bikes, redemptors, grim and helbrecht all kept the same pace and kept their buffs up.

The game got called after turn 3. Going second on mission 31 I had; 25 points from primary, 6 points from raise banners, 11 from bring it down and 11 from oath. Granted, my opponent was playing a rather bad ork list, and got both unlucky and made some poor decisions with freebootaz sequencing, but the crux of the win would have remained the same against any non-barrage heavy list.

Here's the list for reference, battlescrube wouldn't let me do hero of the chapter twice in a strike force for some reason, so pretend the bike chaplain has it

+++ Zeal (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [115 PL, 9CP, 1,991pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Black Templars) ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Chapter Selection: Black Templars

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems +

Strategem: Relics of the Chapter: Number of Extra Relics

+ HQ +

Chaplain Grimaldus: 2. Psalm of the Remorseless Persecution, 4. Fires of Devotion, Litany of Hate

High Marshal Helbrecht: Frontline Commander, Warlord

Primaris Chaplain on Bike: 1. Litany of Divine Protection, Litany of Hate, Rites of War, Tannhauser's Bones

+ Troops +

Assault Intercessor Squad

. . 4x Assault Intercessor: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol

. . Assault Intercessor Sgt: Astartes Chainsword, Heavy Bolt Pistol

Assault Intercessor Squad

. . 4x Assault Intercessor: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol

. . Assault Intercessor Sgt: Astartes Chainsword, Heavy Bolt Pistol

Intercessor Squad: Auto Bolt Rifle

. . 4x Intercessor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

. . Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Apothecary: Chapter Command: Chief Apothecary, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, The Crusader's Helm

Primaris Sword Brethren Squad

. . Primaris Sword Brethren: Astartes Chainsword, Heavy Bolt Pistol

Primaris Sword Brethren Squad

Redemptor Dreadnought: 2x Storm Bolters, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Redemptor Dreadnought: 2x Storm Bolters, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Terminator Assault Squad: Icon of Heinmann

. . Assault Terminator Sergeant: Champion of the Feast

. . . . Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield: Thunder hammer

. . 4x Assault Terminator w/THSS: 4x Storm shield, 4x Thunder hammer

+ Fast Attack +

Attack Bike Squad

. . Attack Bike: Multi-melta

Attack Bike Squad

. . Attack Bike: Multi-melta

+ Dedicated Transport +

Impulsor: 2x Storm Bolters, Ironhail Skytalon Array, Multi-melta

Impulsor: 2x Storm Bolters, Ironhail Skytalon Array, Multi-melta

Well in theory they could, but I started the sword brethren in them in the last game. The theory is I can use the strat or the chaplain to make them obsec and they're very good at chopping up objective baby sitters. They also do a better job of lurking in the midfield because they don't take the passion from Uphold.

Ive had three games of black templars and I'm ready to deliver some incredibly shallow takes on what I've experienced.

*snip*

While a bit pessimistic in my opinion, I appreciate the insight of the list and how it was played! I was looking at a few impulsors myself (admittingly doing the bladeguard thing from the other thread you commented on giving up 9-12 points) but I think they do well to give us a thrust for an elite unit. Still, I appreciate the tactical advice for a competitive environment! Edited by Marshal Mattias

What did you find pessimistic?

Mostly the idea  that we are stuck with black templars rules. I see it that we get some pretty nice boons, and we can make some fun lists!

though I am not trying to be super competitive, so I dunno how much is super good that way. I just like what we get and I don’t think we need to be jealous of other chapter tactics

Mostly the idea  that we are stuck with black templars rules. I see it that we get some pretty nice boons, and we can make some fun lists!

though I am not trying to be super competitive, so I dunno how much is super good that way. I just like what we get and I don’t think we need to be jealous of other chapter tactics

Well I didn't mean stuck as a negative, but more of a statement of fact.

Other supplements (except deathwatch) can flex into certain playstyles via successor tactics+doctrine bonus if  the first founding chapter isn't working with the models or tactics you like to use. You can get Seal of Oath in a Whirlwind+Born Heroes ultramarines successor. You can assign Master of Ambush to a Master Artisans+Hungry for Battle raven guard successor warlord. Same example with psychic powers and stratagems. Or wargear options. 

But, if you want to get Tannhauser's Bones, you will be having 5++ vs mortal wounds, reroll charges, and Vows. If you want Multimeltas on primaris chassis, you will be having 5++ vs mortal wounds, reroll charges, and Vows. If you want to use Bombastic Delivery, you will be having 5++ vs mortal wounds, reroll charges, and Vows.

So my point is this; the power of the supplement is built around the inflexibility of chapter tactics. In return for always having 5++ and rerolls to charge, you can amass a large amount of very unique advantages in a list. 

Well I didn't mean stuck as a negative, but more of a statement of fact.

Other supplements (except deathwatch) can flex into certain playstyles via successor tactics+doctrine bonus if  the first founding chapter isn't working with the models or tactics you like to use. You can get Seal of Oath in a Whirlwind+Born Heroes ultramarines successor. You can assign Master of Ambush to a Master Artisans+Hungry for Battle raven guard successor warlord. Same example with psychic powers and stratagems. Or wargear options. 

But, if you want to get Tannhauser's Bones, you will be having 5++ vs mortal wounds, reroll charges, and Vows. If you want Multimeltas on primaris chassis, you will be having 5++ vs mortal wounds, reroll charges, and Vows. If you want to use Bombastic Delivery, you will be having 5++ vs mortal wounds, reroll charges, and Vows.

So my point is this; the power of the supplement is built around the inflexibility of chapter tactics. In return for always having 5++ and rerolls to charge, you can amass a large amount of very unique advantages in a list. 

Ahhhhh, gotcha. I don’t really know too much about the other chapters, and that all sounds a little complicated to me. But, I see your point for it. I get it now. Still, I do hope you share more of your experience with this army!

*snip*

I liked the list and the way you look to the 'dex overall.

As I see, The competitive enviroment changes so lists can change. In my local meta, If I put Impulsors, Army gets stuck and a bit of apoints waste for me, as there are a lot of bodies here: Blood Angels, Space Wolf, Drukhari etc. So I have to put min. 2 dreads (atleast 1 volkite culverin Contemptor) to clear chaff.

And Why Sword Bros? For my experience, Bladeguard with some Icon of heınemann and sword of judgement with Champion of the feas on them, can be pretty mean for the opposite team.

Alas, Instead of Interceptors, I saw a lot of usage for primaris Crusader squad as they are a hard cwrowd to take off from, especially supported with one assault squad and some chaplain buffs. They can easily get their points out because of their uses.

Thats my 2 cent goes. And really woder your pow of sword bretheren usage.

Edited by Marshal Mattias

Well the impulsors have 16 STR 4 shots at 12", so they can be used for clearing some chaf. I so also have 2 dreads, but I can see teching in volcons instead of redemptors against heavy

marine and raider lists.

I'm going to start it off with a hot take and go into a more normal explanation. BGV kind of suck. They need either chapter tactics or a lot of support or investment to make them punch up well, and I already had such a unit in my list. I might try swapping the termies out for bgv, but their role is to tank it up in the midfield and help score me oath, not necessarily to one round anything.

The reason I took sword bros is because I got 4 guys for 88pts and I could get more board control with two units compared to one brick of bgv in an impulsor. In my previous two games, I had a distinct lack of board control and units I could use to pressure; sword bros are cheap enough that I can sling them up the board in their impulsors and fight the flanking objective holders. Or they can meat shield for characters. Either way they're being a distraction.

I took intercessors of various types because I wanted cheap troops and I'm using BT to funnel my pile of shame into, so I don't have any firstborn stuff. Primaris crusaders are way too expensive to use as backfield objective/action monkeys. I'm also not willing to drop more cp on different detachment configurations until I'm comfortable with using the stratagems. Moving to a vanguard means I lose a whole turn of Bellicose+transhuman for my chaplain on bike. Stuff might change in the future though.

Ok so here's what I don't get:

-you claim BGV "kind of suck" because they need more support and investment to make them "punch up well".  I would agree that's true....but what they do well without support-which is hold objectives and don't die, they do very well. 

-then you go on to make a positive claim about Sword Bros...specifically about only being 88 pts, but fail to add-in the ~140 pt. impulsor they need to work.

For an example of efficiency: you could take one unit of 6 BGV, combat squad them (but stick them both in the same impulsor) for an all in cost of 350 pts.  3 BGV = 9 wounds which is more staying power (ie, board control) than 4 sword bros.

2x4 sword bros + 2 impulsors = 456 pts.  And the 4 sword bros will die faster than 3 BGV in just about any possible weapon/offensive comparison.

I'm not suggesting your list is bad and if you're having fun with it, that's great.  I just don't see the need to poop on BGV...btw, I'd add they are a unit that synergizes GREAT with our locked-in chapter tactics. 

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

This is a little confusing me, so apologies if I mess things up in answering you.

I took the impulsors as fire support for my list. They were one of the first things I put in with the dreads and attack bikes. The sword brethren were one of the last, with the remaining ~190 points in my list. The impulsors aren't taken in response to trying to make sword brethren decent. The sword brethren are taken to fill out my spare points and happen to be something I can shove in the impulsors.

I feel like you missed my statement in wanting more presence on the board and ability to apply pressure. One impulsor with a brick of bgv delivers a lot of threat pressure to one area, but has far less presence.

The math part, I think just follows on that assumption wanting to have fewer units for more melee damage output. It misses the point that 2 impulsors and 8 SB have more survivability than 1 impulsor and 6 BGV, that it provides half the amount of board control, provides half the amount of shooting, and more target priority.

I'd be far more open to the idea of dropping helbrecht for a captain+chapter master and the intercessors for assault intercessors for the spare points to go 6 BGV instead of 8 SB.

And to end, I wouldn't call it great synergy. It's there, it'll help your brick of them get into combat and shrug off mortal wounds, but it doesn't help 3 of them spike down a target like born heroes and whirlwind does. Or white scars doctrine. They get to play them as roaming beatsticks and my incredible low experience with BT says they're more of a grindy unit that holds points.

I played my first crusade game with the new codex last week. 50PL vs Tau.

My crusade oath: "In the name of the immortal Emperor, I hereby vow to prosecute the eternal crusade and slay the enemy´s leaders without hesitation whilist displaying our colours proudly!".

My force (Primaris only): Captain with relic storm shield, Chaplain, Apothecary, 3 Blade Guard, 1 Redemptor Dreadnought, 5 Intercessors, 10 Assault Intercessors, 3 Eradicators.

The hated Xenos: Fireblade, Coldstar Commander, 2 Broadsides, 5 Pathfinders, 3 squads of fire warriors, 3 Crisis bodyguars, 1 Devilfish and a cowards helping of shield drones.

I split of 5 intercessors and 5 assault intercessors to guard my left flank while the main force of my infantry moved up the center field to recapture fallen geneseed. The Intercessors are seasoned veterans and quickly identified the pathfinders, tearing them asunder with Rapid Fire. In respons the perfidious Tau battlesuits leaped forward and eliminated my entire left flank.

Enraged the Marshall and his household knights chared into the enemies guns, taking them by suprise by their boldnes while the heavy guns laid low everything that wasn´t protected by shield drones. As the fighting drew to a close only the Coldstar commander was left alive thanks to his shifty cowardice along with one crisis suit.

Chosing between the mission (extracting from the battlefield) and their sacred vow (claiming the enemys deployement zone) Marshall Sigbrand chose the path of honour, leaving the Tau with a Pyrrhic Victory.

(Highlight of the game was my assault Intercessors failing a 9 inch charge and then my Chaplain and Marshall each making 11 inch charges against the Tau gunline, tying them up a cruciol turn and slaying all before them and showing the initiates who´s boss)

My brothers, Rejoice! I have done the near impossible. I have outplayed guiliman to aquire a tactical victory, and a moral one! he had planned and deployed his forces well, but he didn't account for the sheer faith we had in our emperor. We charged full tilt across the field, surprising the ultramarines with a sudden assault at what should have been overwhelming forces, but our vow to uphold the honor of the emperor shined through. The crusade squad managed to destroy one full squad of assault intercessors, and due to the chaplain chanting his litany of divine protection we managed to hold our ground for two turns, consecrating an objective with our own blood. 

Though this was all a ploy, for in the middle of the field a squad of aggressors with the champion of the feast leading them destroyed a redemptor dreadnaught and survived until the Marshal and his apothecary arrived to  help secure the middle, with the Marshal himself fighting the ultramarine master of the forge in combat, proving the superiority of the emperor over the omnisiah. Though the marshal fell in battle, he managed to deal significant wounds to the spiritual liege of the ultramarines, leaving a nasty scar on his armor.

and finally there is a tournament with a BT made a 1th place.

3x 10 Primaris Crusader with Helbrecht, Grimaldus and Chaplain on Bike.

2x Redemptors. 1x5 Vanguard Veterans with Hammer and stromshields

1x 3 Eradicators.

EDIT: 

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium – Adeptus Astartes – Black Templars) [100 PL, 1,999pts, 9CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Chapter Selection: Black Templars

+ Stratagems +

Revered Repositories [-1CP]

Strategem: Relics of the Chapter [-1CP]: Number of Extra Relics

+ HQ +

Chaplain Grimaldus [7 PL, 140pts]: 1. Litany of Divine Protection, 2. Psalm of the Remorseless Persecution, Artificer Crozius, 3x Cenobyte Servitors, Frag & Krak grenades, Litany of Hate, Plasma pistol

High Marshal Helbrecht [8 PL, 160pts]: Attendant Thrall’s Fists, Ferocity, Frag & Krak grenades, Sword of the High Marshals

Primaris Chaplain on Bike [6 PL, 115pts]: 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Absolver Bolt pistol, Crozius arcanum, Frag & Krak grenades, Iron Resolve, Litany of Hate, Tannhauser’s Bones, Twin Bolt rifle, Warlord

+ Troops +

Primaris Crusader Squad [10 PL, 183pts]: Bolt Pistol and Astartes Chainsword
. 5x Primaris Initiate w/Chainsword & Heavy Bolt Pistol: 5x Astartes Chainsword, 5x Frag & Krak grenades, 5x Heavy Bolt Pistol
. 4x Primaris Neophytes: 4x Frag & Krak grenades (bp and chainsword)
. Primaris Sword Brother: Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol, Power sword, Sword of Judgement

Primaris Crusader Squad [10 PL, 188pts]: Bolt Pistol and Astartes Chainsword
. 5x Primaris Initiate w/Chainsword & Heavy Bolt Pistol: 5x Astartes Chainsword, 5x Frag & Krak grenades, 5x Heavy Bolt Pistol
. Primaris Sword Brother: Frag & Krak grenades, Power sword, Pyre Pistol

Primaris Crusader Squad [10 PL, 183pts]: Bolt Pistol and Astartes Chainsword
. Primaris Sword Brother: Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol, Power sword

+ Elites +

Judiciar [5 PL, 85pts]: Absolver Bolt pistol, Executioner Relic Blade, Frag & Krak grenades, The Aurillian Shroud

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Redemptor Fist

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Redemptor Fist

Servitors [2 PL, 30pts]: 4x Servitor, 4x Servo-arm

Vanguard Veteran Squad [8 PL, 210pts, -1CP]: Icon of Heinmann, Jump Pack
. Vanguard Veteran: Frag & Krak grenades, Storm shield, Thunder hammer
. Vanguard Veteran Sergeant: Champion of the Feast, Frag & Krak grenades, Storm shield, Thunder hammer

+ Heavy Support +

Eradicator Squad [7 PL, 150pts]: Heavy melta rifle
. 2x Eradicator: 2x Bolt pistol
. Eradicator Sgt: Bolt pistol

++ Total: [100 PL, 9CP, 1,999pts] ++

Edited by Medjugorje

I am a little worried that the uphold the honor of the emperor vow is gonna get nerfed in the future for protecting too much, but overall I am very happy our boys got in first! 

even if there is an oversaturation of primaris *grumble grumble grumble*

I am a little worried that the uphold the honor of the emperor vow is gonna get nerfed in the future for protecting too much, but overall I am very happy our boys got in first!

The new Primaris are literally the best thing about Templars!

But yes, I too am waiting for the FAQ to happen before investing in an armoured BT list...

Edited by Charlo

The new Primaris are literally the best thing about Templars!

But yes, I too am waiting for the FAQ to happen before investing in an armoured BT list...

Yea, I am slowly building my force until the FAQ comes out. good thing I already invested in rhinos.

Honestly I would be happier if I could have given sword bretheren shields and unique weapons. It just isn't a knightly chapter unless you have power shields, and the blade guard would be better if you can change out weapons in my humble opinion. until then, I will be in my rhino and LRC sulking