Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine II - Q3/Q4 2024

Joe

Civ 6 has also had season passes--new civilizations, new scenarios, different leader 'personalities' that gave different abilities (Rough Rider Teddy Roosevelt vs the more Traditional American Teddy, for instance), etc. GaaS can definitely be done in a way that isn't predatory. Remains to be seen whether that's what will happen here, though.

I think there's some conflation here between "Season Pass" and "Battle Pass", which are different things.

"Battle Pass" is the one where you have a grindable rewards track that has a free tier and a paid tier with more/better unlockable rewards and is in basically every live service game these days. Typically these are cosmetic in nature; see Diablo IV:

Diablo 4 Season 1 Battle Pass Doesn't Include Enough Currency to Buy  Anything From the Store - or the Next Battle Pass - IGN

"Season Pass" tends to mean paying upfront for access to future DLC expansion packs - see Civ6 cited above and also Assassin's Creed:

5f5f3b930d253c154cccdbc4-1.jpg?sw=1450&sh=815&sm=fit

Edit - I appreciate that the language isn't always clear; many games refer to their Battle Passes as "seasons" (because they last a few months at a time and there are multiple in a year), whereas I think "Season Pass" comes from the idea of season tickets, i.e. a single upfront purchase that gives you access to every game in a competitive football season (or similar)

Edited by Halandaar

3 hours ago, ChapterMasterGodfrey said:

Ah thank you. Well, would this qualify as that? I mean, you still get the campaign, you don't have to buy the season pass to play that right?

No; games like The Division and Destiny 2 or Warframe or Fortnite or Rainbow Six: Siege are Games as a Service; they're trying to keep you in their ecosystem constantly playing and constantly dropping money in.

Having a DLC bundle called a season pass is a decades long marketing tactic but isn't indicative of wariness automatically. Games are expensive, I expect them to try to double dip at this point. But a singular purchase should still get you the campaign and at least basic multiplayer playability. 

Honestly, completely forgot about the distinction between the passes, but yeah, out of these two options a season pass is the preferable one. Then again who's to say they won't do both.

58 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

Warframe

Speaking of Warframe, that game probably has my favourite "Battle Pass"; completely free, weekly "mission" structure that allows to do the previous weeks missions you might've missed if you clear a week, comes with its own mini stories occasionally and rewards based upon it, a separate currency that allows you to aquire previous passes rewards, said rewards not being limited to cosmetics but also including weapons to play with, while being stapled to probably one of the only good GaaS titles.

If SM2 were to have a Battle Pass, having one like Warframe would be a dream.

I think the most interesting part of this is the fact that they're selling a battle pass/season pass but haven't told you what it's for yet

This isn't Warframe, Siege, Destiny, Division, etc. They haven't made mention at all of a multiplayer mode outside of co-op. They haven't even made mention of a co-op mode outside of the campaign.

Why would I throw down money for a battle pass or get excited for future content when they haven't even said what it's for? Speculation aside (they're co-op skins or something) they haven't even said what the Chapter Champions you're unlocking even are

Very gaming industry of them

Edited by darkhorse0607

1 hour ago, darkhorse0607 said:

I think the most interesting part of this is the fact that they're selling a battle pass/season pass but haven't told you what it's for yet

This isn't Warframe, Siege, Destiny, Division, etc. They haven't made mention at all of a multiplayer mode outside of co-op. They haven't even made mention of a co-op mode outside of the campaign.

Why would I throw down money for a battle pass or get excited for future content when they haven't even said what it's for? Speculation aside (they're co-op skins or something) they haven't even said what the Chapter Champions you're unlocking even are

Very gaming industry of them

Quite normal for games to offer season passes without definitive content. At best you'll get a "Dlc #1, Dlc #2, Extra costume packs 1, 2, and 3." But just as often they'll just say "Year 1 DLC".

The benefit to the consumer is usually a slightly cheaper buy in for agreeing to purchase ahead of time. It's almost never "You know what you're getting.". I can't think of a single game that actually laid out fully detailed dlc plans like that and stuck to them.

Where can I pre order the Gold Edition? I can't find it on Amazon.

Do I have to go through an official website?

I am very interested in this game and will happily purchase a season pass for more content . I'm very hopeful that the online multiplayer is as fun as it was in the prior game - Just imagine if they let you play as a Redemptor Dreadnought.

Edited by Orange Knight

18 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

Where can I pre order the Gold Edition? I can't find it on Amazon.

Do I have to go through an official website?

I am very interested in this game and will happily purchase a season pass for more content . I'm very hopeful that the online multiplayer is as fun as it was in the Prior game. Just imagine it they let you play as a Redemptor Dreadnought.

Yep, so far only on the official website https://store.focus-entmt.com/eu/product/924725/warhammer-40000-space-marine-2-gold-edition

Edited by Nephaston

• 3 weeks later...

Saber, the developer for Space Marine 2, are being sold by Embracer Group AB in a deal worth up to $500 million to a group of private investors. It will become a privately owned company as a result of the deal, allegedly.

That sounds like good news to me, leaving embracer before they do any of their recent shenanigans. Now to wait and see how these 'private investors' do.

Space Marine 2 should remain largely unaffected I imagine since it's mostly finished. Maybe. Knights of the Old Republic fans however will continue their wacky worry rollercoaster.

Regardless of how it happens, quickly accruing a large amount of disparate studios/companies isn't a recipe for success.

Hopefully the new private investors do well for it, although that's up in the air of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Following on from the previous report all references to Embracer have been removed from Saber's website, which would seem to indicate the deal is imminent. This means Space Marine II is likely protected and will release, as well as the KOTOR Remake that Saber took over from Aspyr.