Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine II - Q3/Q4 2024

On 12/13/2022 at 12:41 PM, Mjasghar said:

Or GW doing what they normally do and using development costs covered by the game makers to create something they use in their own models. They’ve done that ever since space hulk was used to develop the terminator line and some of the original SM game 

So it’s misleading maybe but not exactly a lie. 

As in the OG Terminators and the 1st edition of Space Hulk tabletop? Because Terminators were released before Space Hulk, and the game was made by GW themselves,  Space Crusade and Hero Quest were the games they produced alongside another company and the minis in those were already made by GW in lead.

• 5 months later...

What a spectacle. And despite being another minute-ish trailer this one manages to seem more densely packed. Also a short image of the trio engaging tyranids while a portal opens there at the end, perhaps the first teaser for the total surprise chaos appearance that no one saw coming and will surprise literally everyone.

Correction: they're not even engaging tyranids, they're just running at the portal.

Screenshot2023-06-09at00-01-27Warhammer40000SpaceMarine2Co-opCampaignReveal-YouTube.thumb.png.1bafea5ca9abf6fcdfc613443daae533.png

Edited by Nephaston

Sidonius the proper NCO for his Captain. Get rekt, Leandros.

This is so awesome to see - my only dread is that with such high res textures and those loooooooong lines of sight my 8GB VRAM 3070 will be choking on the game (The Last of Us / Jedi Survivor syndrome). Hope they optimized texture cache properly on this.

3 minutes ago, twopounder said:

Haven't seen it here. Just want to point out that DW appear to be involved, as you can spot a Corvus Darkstar covered in Gargoyles about 30 seconds in.

image.thumb.png.0b0d4c3aa0aaa3986617abeeadf15b1c.png

As we'd expect them to be! Well spotted!

12 minutes ago, -DonCorleone- said:

the regal performance of Mark Strong.

This may be even more controversial: Mark Strong's performance was terrible. Utterly flat and lifeless, not to mention far too quiet. The man's just not a voice actor.

1 hour ago, Lucius_The_Temporary said:

This may be even more controversial: Mark Strong's performance was terrible. Utterly flat and lifeless, not to mention far too quiet. The man's just not a voice actor.

I think Mark Strong gave titus a very distinct, stoic, disciplined voice. I miss him, but i think Standen fits this rougher, post-inquisition titus.

1 minute ago, MaximusTL said:

I think Mark Strong gave titus a very distinct, stoic, disciplined voice.

I'm sure that's what he was going for, I just found his execution lacking. I think the VA for Sidonis nailed it so well conversations between the two of them actually took me out of the experience a little because Sidonis sounded so much more into it.

2 hours ago, -DonCorleone- said:

This maybe controversial, but I'm not feeling Clive Standen. He sounds too much like an Space Wolf than the regal performance of Mark Strong.

I also expected inflection/delivery closer to Strongs, but I also think it should be noted that much of  dialogue we've heard from Standen on the trailers is during combat and such, so Id expect it to sound angrier/louder.

Edited by Mmmmm Napalm

• 2 months later...

It looks amazing, I love what they did with the health system now that you can only gain armor through kills and not HP I think that will make the unending hordes of expendable gribblies feel like a very real threat. I also loved how the Guard looked, rolling beside a Leman Russ is just so cool.

Ironically the gameplay video has lessened my interest. The visuals are great, but the gameplay loops seem pretty weak. The shooting doesn't actually look enjoyable, and the melee lacks weight. The problem is that had it been 10 years ago, I'm sure it would have been fine, but in that time we've had great games that have come out in that time that have those things dialed in to the point where it's pleasurable to snap off a clean kill or you feel the brutal weight of a melee kill. At this point it's the Co-op is the only thing exciting me, and the possibility of character modding. If I can mod in a custom Marine, it's a day 1 buy then. Otherwise my buddy and I can wait till a steam summer sale.

On 6/8/2023 at 8:20 PM, Lucius_The_Temporary said:

I'm sure that's what he was going for, I just found his execution lacking. I think the VA for Sidonis nailed it so well conversations between the two of them actually took me out of the experience a little because Sidonis sounded so much more into it.

there's a story to this. Around the time of the first SM and with DoW2, geedub approvals would often have us go back and re-record things if Space Marine performances were too colorful. The folks in the department at the time really wanted us to double down on the dehumanized super soldier aspect of them - cogs in the machine without a lot of individuality. As the protagonist, Mark Strong's character was really fixated upon with this mentality. I thought they navigated it pretty well and you got some folks who love his performance, though I can't really disagree if folks like yourself finding the final product a little aloof.

geedub has mellowed out since then, certainty night and day to work with in the later projects i was involved in. 

Anyways, the previews look great. I really can't wait to play Space Marine 2, I have a lot of faith Saber Interactive will do it justice. 

Edited by Wispy

6 hours ago, Wispy said:

As the protagonist, Mark Strong's character was really fixated upon with this mentality. I thought they navigated it pretty well and you got some folks who love his performance, though I can't really disagree if folks like yourself finding the final product a little aloof.

I think the script writer(s) in SM1 and Mark Strong did a great job, and one of the best things about SM1 was making the marines sound cool headed and a bit unfazed until the big dramatic moments. Titus really sounded like an educated soldier and a leader, like an Ultramarine, instead of the over the top zealot gym bros of previous DoW games or sadly the new voice acting and dialogue in SM2 so far. He sounds now like a totally different person.

Edited by lansalt