Boc's All Chaos, All the Time (Possessed Complete)

Boc

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to try out the airbrush for the first time. Admittedly no idea :cuss: I'm doing. Was trying to use the air to dry the paint as I went, but I think I thinned it too much so it streaked a bit. Been a long couple weeks, so not much else to report, but back at it this weekend!

20230518_190750.jpg

Thinning paint for an airbrush is a bit of an art, and whilst it's tempting to spray a wet glossy coat of paint onto the surface and let it dry back, it's almost always better to do a couple of thinner coats (the individual coats should dry quicker than the wet coat, too :smile:).

I find a hair-drier on "low" heat, and a bit away from the model so you can't really feel the flow of the air a better way to dry the paint - the heat helps the paint to dry, but you don't get the flow of air that risks moving the paint around as you do with an airbrush. 

Bit of progress on both Abaddon and another 5 havocs/heavy support lascannon marines.

I ran out of my old pot of coelia greenshade (which is what I apply over grey to get the green color) and this new pot seems to behave a bit differently. Shinier once dried, more coffee staining than normal. Might need to add some more water or thinner to it before applying to the next batch.

Plan for tomorrow (other than my honey-do list) is to finish the squad up and get a base coat on my last knight models (Desecrator and 3x war dogs, maybe 2? Whatever) and maybe some more work on Abaddon

20230520_202408.jpg

20230520_202414.jpg

8 hours ago, Boc said:

I ran out of my old pot of coelia greenshade (which is what I apply over grey to get the green color) and this new pot seems to behave a bit differently. Shinier once dried, more coffee staining than normal. Might need to add some more water or thinner to it before applying to the next batch.

Was the old pot a 24ml one, and the new pot an 18ml one? If so, GW switched the formula from being a traditional wash to being Contrast-based.

15 hours ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

Was the old pot a 24ml one, and the new pot an 18ml one? If so, GW switched the formula from being a traditional wash to being Contrast-based.

That's what it seems like. Luckily the matte varnish and some weathering knocked the shine right out

20230521_201503.thumb.jpg.30efcc181a7a86b3b13a374da6db354e.jpg

Also had some more fun with the airbrush today. I can't believe I used to paint white by hand...what an idiot

20230521_202208.thumb.jpg.fc5f7e89dbc1af72a3748aa8e4aab795.jpg

20230521_202204.thumb.jpg.786aa07a533012fc4af2fac3027fb19d.jpg

20230521_202211.thumb.jpg.e221b2939f92ed1634830b59f0899665.jpg

All the white took like 15 minutes. Painting just the carapace on the Abominant was probably 5 hours of thin layer after thin layer...

No progress today on Abaddon or the herald dude, which I should probably get around to in order to finish my May pledge. But the airbrush has me actually excited to paint the big stuff

My oldest was kind enough to pass the stomach bug he had onto me, so a pretty slow week in terms of output. Felt a little less physically drained today, so caught up on some yard work before getting a little bit of painting in. Finished up most of the bigger details on one of the stalkers, so should be able to do finishing touches on him tomorrow then on to decals and damage. 20230528_202649.thumb.jpg.b3006ead3dbb5a0631932a787d4d455f.jpg

Also, I've got a ton of Heresy 1.0 models that are on 25mm bases. Finally got around to ordering some conversion bases for them, so might be ultra lazy for June's painting challenge and just use these haha

20230525_150645.jpg