Initial 1st April 2022 reveal, new lore & articles discussion

Joe

I wonder what they'll call them? Squats doesn't seem very copyrightable and is out of trend with the more recent faction names. Homo sapiens rotundus is their "Scientific" name. Adeptus Rotundus? Maybe if they aren't independent from the Imperium.

Dorfs. If Orruks can be orks, then there we are. And it’s got a history.

"Dorf" is already taken by the direct-to-video series from the 80s/90s.

However, in keeping with GW's "fantasy gibberish" naming convention, how about we go with something equally dignified: "Dwarrufs"

They already have a patented unique name available....Demiurge.  They had their own spaceship in BFG and the lore around it was they were squats left over from the nid hive fleet that consumed their homeworld and colonies.

i fail to see what space dwarves can bring to the table in terms of the lore adn setting beyond "space dwarves! space dwarves!"

I feel like i've seen the entire range before I've seen a single model

A separate strand of humanity from the Imperium is a fantastic strand to explore in terms of narrative. A practical approach to engineering, ancestor worship, complex guild structures and a strained but not entirely antagonistic relationship with Terra are all great concepts that enrich and deepen the setting. While they can easily be exaggerated for comic effect, I don’t think any of these are inherently silly ideas.

Separately, of course, squats used to be presented as having a relatively reasonable approach to things. It was much easier to sympathise and empathise with them than the Imperial factions, which were a literal death cult.

Whether all (or indeed any) of those survive in a modern relaunch of the space dwarf concept is questionable, but given the passion and attention to the threads laid down in 1st edition given by the GW team to other forces, like Genestealer Cults and Harlequins, I think it’s not beyond the bounds of possibility.

I think the Necromunda squats look great; I’m excited at the prospect of more.

Edited by apologist

i fail to see what space dwarves can bring to the table in terms of the lore adn setting beyond "space dwarves! space dwarves!"

A separate strand of humanity from the Imperium is a fantastic strand to explore in terms of narrative. A practical approach to engineering, ancestor worship, complex guild structures and a strained but not entirely antagonistic relationship with Terra are all great concepts that enrich and deepen the setting. While they can easily be exaggerated for comic effect, I don’t think any of these are inherently silly ideas.

Separately, of course, squats used to be presented as having a relatively reasonable approach to things. It was much easier to sympathise and empathise with them than the Imperial factions, which were a literal death cult.

Whether all (or indeed any) of those survive in a modern relaunch of the space dwarf concept is questionable, but given the passion and attention to the threads laid down in 1st edition given by the GW team to other forces, like Genestealer Cults and Harlequins, I think it’s not beyond the bounds of possibility.

That's fair but as with many factions in this game the meme-ing is going to annoy me lol

Some acquaintances of mine play that deep rock galactic game and I dread prospect of me having to hear "rock and stone!" more than I already do.

I doubt I'll like them, but  In regards to their incorporation I hope that they are emphasized as being a distinctly small (heh) presence, I do not want them retconned as being a prominent faction that the imperium has had to deal with continuously. It would be stupid if they were a significant player in any capacity.

Edited by Mmmmm Napalm

That's fair but as with many factions in this game the meme-ing is going to annoy me lol

Some acquaintances of mine play that deep rock galactic game and I dread prospect of me having to hear "rock and stone!" more than I already do.

I doubt I'll like them, but In regards to their incorporation I hope that they are emphasized as being a distinctly small (heh) presence, I do not want them retconned as being a prominent faction that the imperium has had to deal with continuously. It would be stupid if they were a significant player in any capacity.

Regardless of "your issues" assuming they get a DE 4th Ed level redo I'm sure they'll look amazing. Fluff will be what it is.

Having another race to 40k will be welcomed as it's been too long since something new and different or old and redone has been done.

deep rock galactic 

That game is great lol ill be blasting 'diggy diggy hole' on my phone during my turns

On the one hand, I hope it’s an April’s fool thing, because I honestly don’t like Squats. On the other hand, I think it’s a good point that the other “retro” armies have been well done (and, imho, much more so than the other newer factions). So, if it’s not just a bunch of short/fat/beard jokes in space, I think it might probably work out ok.

I will be quite annoyed that yet again Gw has a chance to do something truly new in 40k, but are too scared to do so.

Maybe it's just my age showing, but looking at the recent new developments (Guilliman returning, Primaris lore, moving the timeline forward), I'm pretty happy with them sticking to the already established ideas that just lack miniature support.

I aboslutely love the Kharadon Overlords minies and think they gel well with the setting, same for the old Fantasy Duardin, but - for whatever reason - I just can't get that excited about squats. I always kind of sympathised with them being dropped (save for starting in Necromunda etc). I would much rather see Witch Hunters/Inquisition, Rogue Trader forces, Dark Mechanicus etc.

I also feel like 40k orks feel very alien rather than fantasy orkish despite the name, whereas Squats remain forever more fitting for fantasy realms for me.

I wonder what they'll call them? Squats doesn't seem very copyrightable and is out of trend with the more recent faction names. Homo sapiens rotundus is their "Scientific" name. Adeptus Rotundus? Maybe if they aren't independent from the Imperium.

Dorfs. If Orruks can be orks, then there we are. And it’s got a history.

"Dorf" is already taken by the direct-to-video series from the 80s/90s.

However, in keeping with GW's "fantasy gibberish" naming convention, how about we go with something equally dignified: "Dwarrufs"

that's Dwarrful,

If fat hairy bikers are a 'stupid' idea then so are football hooligan Orks. 40k IS Warhammer in space. Squats have just as much right to be in the setting as Eldar and Greenskins, maybe not Tau because they smell funny, I shall pass on some sagely advice for those who dont like the idea of Squats, the same advice I get when I mention Primaris 'just ignore them, just because they exist doesnt mean you have to play against them'... Its not like everybody and their dog will start collecting overnight unless GW really go OTT with how good they are. 

Think the Squats will be a hard counter for another faction maybe?? 

Y'all just need to relax and listen to some calming music... 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

Squats strike me as easier to do a whole army of than Inquisition, just more options and more distinct units with more to draw upon. Plus you reel in new people who like Dwarves and Scifi

Nids in the box makes more sense than GSC who seem to have gotten a lot of releases of late comparative to how popular they are (admittedly one leads to other a bit)

Sword in the chest could be explained as void madness or Nid psychic shenanigans or the cultists all died in the uprising/decompression leaving just genestealers

Edited by Dark Shepherd

A difference is that for the moment, primaris actually exist and squats don’t, beyond Necromunda (in the context of modern armies and models). Should/shouldn’t is all down to personal preference, which on one hand isn’t cause to insult anyone over, but also only gets us so far when comparing such things.

If we’re discussing whether or not squats should return to the setting, I believe there is an ongoing thread in the Amicus subforum for this purpose.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/371757-how-might-squats-return-to-the-setting/

Edited by Khornestar

I really liked the idea of the old squats -- somewhere between the "We die in droves!" of Imperial Guard, and the "I'M JUST BETTER THEN YOU!" of Space Marines.

Also, the LAND TRAIN. Greatest vehicle ever, and it needs to come back.

Edited by MoshJason

I must admit, I've never been a big fan of Squats, but I'm excited to see more non-Imperium humans (or abhumans in this case) who aren't servants to Chaos or Xenos. It's a perspective that the setting lacks greatly imo. It also reminds us that the galaxy, and humanity, are larger than the Imperium and humanity can succeed separate from them.

If this turns out to be the true return of Squats to 40k, then I'm looking forward to seeing how GW manage it and hoping they do it right.

Dwarven hells angels was a difficult sell in 1987 and remains so today, but at least it was different to the usual dwarven tropes.

Dwarves live in mountains, like a drink and mine for riches. That's true in Tolkein, Warcraft, Warhammer Fantasy, and probably a thousand other fantasy worlds with only a few variations.

Really every niche army has been thought of and is doable by multiple factions - mass infantry, mass tanks, elite warriors, gun lines, bikes/jetbikes, psychic armies, anti psychics, glass cannons, armoured sponges (I don't know what the opposite of a glass cannon is....) so I don't know what new niche they could fill. 

but then one can argue that sisters are nothing more than imperial guard in power armour turned up to 11.

I think there's a place for squats.  And the whole eye of terror thing can explain their reappearance after so many years especially if the recent events have opened up a new rift or opening in the warp where they were locked away and thought destroyed. - dunno.

Where do I see them?  a faction that like the space elfs just wants to be left alone, but is embroyled into the galaxy's wider war.   masters of mechanics and plasma, perhaps they are as resilient as a deathguard but with all the plasma masterworks of a salamander and some mad battlegear in terms of transport and suits, or maybe they're the anti nids - let elves and the humans fight chaos and the crons, we're going for the bugs.

I can also see them as the ones who have got their heads around how to manipulate noctilith and screw chaos and the crons over with it.  The imperium of course is too stupid to realise this and just sees them as another threat to deal with.

I can see spacehulks as their fodder, after all free resources and materials - you just have to clean it out and melt it down, job jobbed, and again, imperium will probably see this as theft and get the hump accordingly, especially if hulks are just disappearing to something they thought long dead.

I think like sisters, they're just something different.  Something that's pleasing to own and play with.  I reckon they could work on that level, very small, very elite, very niche.

Edited by Angry Banana