Initial 1st April 2022 reveal, new lore & articles discussion

Joe

Let's examine the figure a bit.

It looks like this soldier had gone through a similar treatment as the Skitarii. Like both his feet are augmetics.

The compact backpack reactor with no obvious venting speaks to a more advanced generator.

Not sure what kind of weapon he is using, no magazine but a bottle or flask design, could be melta/flamer?

Thick rubber suit all over with carapace segments, possible void/space suit.

The cowl gravis bowl is not my cup of tea, until we see a Votann helmet design, my jury will be out.

Overall completely ecstatic on the nostalgia land train. Each ancient faction they've glow up in the last decade has been marvelous, these will once again impress I've no doubt.

Poor stores, more shelf space for an entire range.

I quite like their practical, down-to-earth appearance. It's the polar opposite of the bizarre, arcane design of the Adeptus Mechanicus. I'm not quite sure I'd buy any but I will certainly be watching with curiousity.

Am I imagining things or do the runes on his right shoulder look a bit like they say 'TAU'?

CNiuMZPWWNpatQNt.jpg

Perhaps GW will link the Leagues to the background Tau allies, the Demiurg.

I kinda hope not. I'd prefer the Demiurg to be a true alien race and not Abhumans.

They're referred to as 'human cousins' in the article, so...

He's got some kind of pistol, on his thigh.

A grenade on his butt, of unknown design.

A carabiner up front, possibly to latch onto hulls or interior pieces in a low/no G environment.

I'm off a mind Iron Lord is right, this is carapace over a space suit.

Now who knows what that back pack does. Power, propulsion, shield generator?

Am I imagining things or do the runes on his right shoulder look a bit like they say 'TAU'?

CNiuMZPWWNpatQNt.jpg

Perhaps GW will link the Leagues to the background Tau allies, the Demiurg.

I kinda hope not. I'd prefer the Demiurg to be a true alien race and not Abhumans.

They're referred to as 'human cousins' in the article, so...

Yes? I think you misunderstand, I’d prefer the Demiurg to be true aliens, instead of the possibility of “They were Squats all along”. The Votann are obviously abhumans

I quite like their practical, down-to-earth appearance. It's the polar opposite of the bizarre, arcane design of the Adeptus Mechanicus. I'm not quite sure I'd buy any but I will certainly be watching with curiosity.

Exactly. The techno archiac look of the Admec is like evil Jules Verne.

This speaks to designed and understood tech, like the Tau, they understand what they're making.

I'm really interested in what they're vehicles look like. If they really even do land war much.

Edited by mel_danes

Well then, looks like I'll be eating my words now with a side of humble pie. Good work on GWs end, now let's hope they don't make them broken like every xenos faction in 40k when they released.

They aren’t Xenos to be fair so.

I wonder what their angle will be. Surely we have a lot of ‘good shooting’ armies? I’m really curious how these guys will be much different than AdMech.

I’m also on the ‘it’s a bit generic sci-if’ team. They are well done but not quite weird enough for 40K to my eye. Just my humble opinion.

He's got some kind of pistol, on his thigh.

A grenade on his butt, of unknown design.

A carabiner up front, possibly to latch onto hulls or interior pieces in a low/no G environment.

I'm off a mind Iron Lord is right, this is carapace over a space suit.

Now who knows what that back pack does. Power, propulsion, shield generator?

Could just be an air tank, bit of a throw back to the 30K Sol Aux suits but better-er. space dwarf's gotta breathe too.

"I am a Squat and I'm blasting a hole

Blast blasty hole, blasting a hole"

Honestly? I didn't thought I'd ever see squats. Dwarves are my thing and this excites me quite a lot.

Whatever they might turn out.

Part of T'au auxiliaries or as their own factions.

This slayer *cough* I mean, this guy will get their codex for sure!

Edited by Kelborn

Yes? I think you misunderstand, I’d prefer the Demiurg to be true aliens, instead of the possibility of “They were Squats all along”. The Votann are obviously abhumans

Oh, my bad.

But what do you mean by linking the Leagues to T'au Demiurg allies then if one are Xenos and the others aren't?

Let's examine the figure a bit.

It looks like this soldier had gone through a similar treatment as the Skitarii. Like both his feet are augmetics.

Not sure what kind of weapon he is using, no magazine but a bottle or flask design, could be melta/flamer?

I thought only the one foot looked augmetic to me - the right. The left one looks less narrow at the ankle. Hard to tell for sure.

The weapon reminds me a bit of Tau rifles. But with the "disc" at the back instead of the front. The bottle looks rather plasma-gun-bottle-ish.

Edited by Iron Lord

I’d prefer the Demiurg to be true aliens, instead of the possibility of “They were Squats all along”. The Votann are obviously abhumans

That is a non sequitur. One person's tinfoil hat reading of the runes painted on the model's shoulder is not even remotely an indication that Games Workshop intends to retcon Demiurg into being Squats. Save yourself the mental effort; do not expound on a bad premise.

Have to wait & see more of course, but initial gut reaction is pretty meh. Tau already take up the "reason, science, techy" niche, and we're starting to get an awful lot of Golden/Dark Age tech floating around the galaxy for a supposedly backward and regressed future, a whole faction of little Van Saar potentially with Men of Iron stoatin' about the place could take it overboard real quick.

Also the name is eeesh, all that I can think of is that Syfy show from a few years back, the one with the MMO tie-in, Defiance.

Edited by Yodhrin